Assist Me with My Future Career.

My good friend is a podiatrist. I really like her daily schedule.

And you say you're basing your decision on the important things. The schedule? That's the most impressive thing about her job?

• Author
What do you love to do? What are you good at?

I understand wanting to be paid, "a crapload of money," but that shouldn't be your starting point.

I am good at chemistry and biology and remembering anatomy and physiology based terms. And adding them all together.

My leisure interests are in sciences, mostly biomedical subjects.

I heard the money is fantastic. When my cat was dying (Marlon Brando), the Vet was really nice and sorry and then casually suggested for 250 quid it would be painless. Of course i paid as the option to not paying brought claw hammers to mind.

Five years here in the UK
  • Like 2

I.would much prefer to deal with foot fungus all day or process medical radiation images all day, day in and day out, than sit in an office pushing paper.

Really? I would rather push paper.

• Like 2
  • Author
And you say you're basing your decision on the important things. The schedule? That's the most impressive thing about her job?

I would get kicks from studying human body mechanics to the extent that I can look at feet and the patients stance and diagnose them. I would feel really good about mhsekfyusing learnt skills to actually diagnose patients.

I have never had a professional job before so frankly, I will be absolutely thrilled just to become really knowledgeable in one given area.

• Author
I heard the money is fantastic. When my cat was dying (Marlon Brando), the Vet was really nice and sorry and then casually suggested for 250 quid it would be painless. Of course i paid as the option to not paying brought claw hammers to mind.

Sorry about your cat.

I didn't get the marks for any full blown medical degree.

I got 92.5 not the 98 or 99 required for medicine or to become a vet.......... Plus I am 28 and need a three year degree or four tops is prefered...

• Author
Really? I would rather push paper.

But I don't care less about business.

I would is much rather get awful looking foot diseases daily, and use my professional skills to diagnose patients, than manage paperwork all day every day.

Anything I can apply scientific knowledge towards in a more practical hands on way, is infinitely more appealing to me than an office job.

GorillaTheater

How about taxidermy? It sort of combines your interest in anatomy with a talent in art.

• Like 5
  • Author

No..it really impresses me how she can use her understanding of body mechanics to just look at a patient, get them assume.certain stances, and then have the learnt skills to know.how to diagnose patients from analysing there feet.

I am.l personaly very impressed with what the podiatrist on the forum I joined. The work they speak about doing is really impressive to me.

How about taxidermy? It sort of combines your interest in anatomy with a talent in art.

As does mortuary work!

• Like 2
  • Author
As does mortuary work!

Doesn't appeal.

I want a bachelor's degree. That is the level of study I am.wishing to obtain.

• Author

I want to use knowledge based on science and medical stuff in order to perform a daily job.

• Author
Excuse me but now you are the one who is criticising people doing office jobs. Some of us do more than just shuffle paper around. :mad:

Not criticism there.

I am just saying don't technically wish to sit in an office all day.

I have no idea what office workers do lol. I know I would prefer a more medically driven field than that of an office job....

Not criticism there.

I am just saying don't technically wish to sit in an office all day.

I have no idea what office workers do lol. I know I would prefer a more medically driven field than that of an office job....

Well if that is the case then you did not need to demean the many office workers on this site by saying all they do is push paper. You don't need to make it sound as if your current career choice is so much more challenging, interesting or important than theirs.

Seeing as you know nothing about office work, I fail to understand how you know you would prefer a medical field (which will involve a lot of office work too)

• Like 3

I think it would be a really good idea to ask your podiatrist friend if you can shadow her for one day.

I agree that medical professions are exciting. Helping people and dealing with unruly patients, having the manual skills to perform tests and procedures, keeping up with the relevant medical literature, solving cases when doing diagnosis, keeping patient's charts up to date. Health professions involve many complex skills. Some of these you'll likely excel at and others will be more of a challenge. But that's fine. We all face tasks we don't want to do in our work.

Following your friend for a day would give you an exact idea of what she does. It will make the requirements of the job concrete for you. This way, you'll know ahead of time that the money and time you invest in your degree are well worth it.

• Like 11
todreaminblue
I dont agree that I have absolutely no idea lol.

I know a specific science based medical profession is what I truly want.

I know the area I want to live and breath. I have tried humanitiesy based degrees and I am without a doubt that they do not light my academic fire. Not my passions.

I have a fairly good idea of who I am and what area ( medical) I wish to dedicate my career to..

Good for you, for going back to school.. ...I also did this and I loved the sciences and hated the linguistics courses. Bleugh. Give me hard science over endlessly writing essays any which day...... Hard sciences do not scare me, I have again chance at handling them since I genuinely enjoued the easier year 12 chem and biomedical.

i didn't mean you have no idea about what you love but direction is what i meant.I have no direction but i do know if i could focus what i am passionate about to one set path i could not be swayed, i don't know about a career for me i don't really think of the money aspect, but more for the love of what i would be doing, if i knew the direction i wanted i wouldn't need to ask for support or reasons why it would be good for me i would just know that's the path i loved and would follow it.I also have interest in humanities, forensics marine biology, agriculture ,geology, meteorology,theology , law, philosophy,but what i am truly passionate about is trying to help people, and i can do that doing volunteer work or factory work just by helping people that i meet,

i do have an obsession with learning, i know i want to be the best i can be,doesnt mean earn the best, just be the best,I wish my teachers hadnt told me i could be anything i wanted and said deb be a scientist, be a philosopher be a writer be a journalist be a lawyer be a shrink do this or do that....go here or go there....life is so huge and career paths an endless maze in life of possibility....i just want to be told where i would contribute to the most people including my family....i will probably end up being a recluse who might work in a factory just to keep busy, because if you dont choose a direction you can stand at a cross roads forever.......

i think i truly need careers advice and i truly need to see what i am capable of.....i have never really bothered to find out i expect it just to be known one day i guess...yes this is it....i do know that leigh if you were sure of your path, you wouldn't need to be supported or encouraged....you would just do it.....

.....i dont feel its wrong to make sure that you are heading in the right direction for you that maximises your skills set and or intelligence........maybe you should see a careers advisor as someone else said leigh then they would know probably a hell of a lot more on any career you decide on....deb

• Like 1

Most kinds of work, professional or not usually involve paperwork. ( A lot)

Anne is right Leigh. I have friends who are Medical profs and the office work kills them. Reports, compliance, legal issues and regulations.....list is endless.

Well if that is the case then you did not need to demean the many office workers on this site by saying all they do is push paper. You don't need to make it sound as if your current career choice is so much more challenging, interesting or important than theirs.

Seeing as you know nothing about office work, I fail to understand how you know you would prefer a medical field (which will involve a lot of office work too)

• Like 2

One other option to explore, Leigh, is surgical technology. I got to see a lot of stuff, a lot of anatomy, and wasn't responsible for any paperwork other than what it took to make sure I got paid. It's fast paced, and should be in demand for some time to come.

Just a thought. No, it's not a three or four year degree, but it's a lot of bang for a certification.

• Like 1

If i was concerned by the pay I would just go on to get a masters in HR. Great prospects, great pay. But BORING! I would so much rather learn sciences and the application of them in my work.

It's not that easy. You need to get a lot of administrative AND HR assistant experience in order to move up in HR and make that sort of money. It doesn't just happen with a degree. It's also a highly competitive field as everyone seems to be applying to that type of work.

• Author

Yep. I know very well that medical fields deal with a lot of paper work on a daily basis. It is the fact that I will be able to diagnose and treat patients that will make it all worth it....

I have a brain and due to mental illness I have since outgrown and recovered from as per what my therapist has confirmed, and sadly I have only ever been a personal trainer. That or trying to get jobs in retail or hospitality or looking after people's children.

I am thirsty and extremely driven to get into the medical field, learn the hard course material, and then have the professionalism to diagnose and treat patients.........

I cannot do medicine which would be my ideal.career. I didn't work hard enough in high school and I am too old to pursue a seven year education.

However, I can become accredited as a professional podiatrist, radiation therapist or oral health therapist. I can still work hard at college with challenging medical based courses and then get the diagnose and treat people.

I just really want to work in the medical profession. My high ish marks in science reflect that I am not dense at it so hopefully I have a shot at passing and maybe even getting some credits and distinctions at college.

I know there will be mountains of paper work, smelly and foul feet and repetitive work for the first few years. That is okay. At age 28 I want to get a bachelor's degree and then use it to diagnose and treat patients.

I will continue to research podiatry and my second choice, radiation therapy.

Oh and GREAT idea Kamilla! She has said of course u fan shaddow her. She has also agreed to show me all her course work and help me with future exams.....

Podiatry is a medical geared degree and job where I can diagnose and treat patients. I tissue close to me rather than five hours per day away like most other degrees on offer at the university of Newcastle.

I am still looking at " a day in the life of" a podiatrist and radio therapist.

• Author
It's not that easy. You need to get a lot of administrative AND HR assistant experience in order to move up in HR and make that sort of money. It doesn't just happen with a degree. It's also a highly competitive field as everyone seems to be applying to that type of work.

This is in Australia remember :laugh:

But yes..my friend got a bachelor of social science and is about to start a masters in HR. We are both very different in terms of our interests though. She sees her life as working in an office. It is who she sees herself as. And that is fine. Great for her.

She does volunteer work and has done so since the start of her degree in social sciences. her volunteer company raves about her. They love her. They won't however, employ her, because they are only a small and non for profit organisation.

She has high hopes for herself. She thinks ater years of study session should get 50 plus K job with a masters.

As a new grad I have been advised that she will have to start in administration on a 40 ish K job and work her way up to HR.

I have a science degree from Australia. A 3 year degree won't get you far. I did a fourth honours year where I researched a project and wrote a thesis. Best decision of my life and it increased my employability.

You need to be set on what degree you want. Flip flipping and making rash decisions will only lead to heartbreak. I knew for ages that I loved science and that's what I got into after high school. You only just got this idea, please just make sure it's what you want before you commit and start paying fees. Just be wary that the whole point of the course description is to make it sound good. Don't trust it one bit. It's their job to sell you this degree. Research the realistic possibilities of actually getting a job in the field and what that degree is really worth. No degree description is going to admit they're crap.

Ultimately you have to decide what's important to you. I decided that money was very important to me, so I joined a pharmaceutical company ;) The money is great even though the work can be boring sometimes. You have to decide what you want, and what you can sacrifice.

• Like 1
  • Author
I have a science degree from Australia. A 3 year degree won't get you far. I did a fourth honours year where I researched a project and wrote a thesis. Best decision of my life and it increased my employability.

You need to be set on what degree you want. Flip flipping and making rash decisions will only lead to heartbreak. I knew for ages that I loved science and that's what I got into after high school. You only just got this idea, please just make sure it's what you want before you commit and start paying fees. Just be wary that the whole point of the course description is to make it sound good. Don't trust it one bit. It's their job to sell you this degree. Research the realistic possibilities of actually getting a job in the field and what that degree is really worth. No degree description is going to admit they're crap.

Ultimately you have to decide what's important to you. I decided that money was very important to me, so I joined a pharmaceutical company ;) The money is great even though the work can be boring sometimes. You have to decide what you want, and what you can sacrifice.

Podiatry has reasonable employmemt prospects. As does medical radiation science therapy. Both three year degrees.

Many graduates of both degrees get jobs albeit they don't start on high paid jobs and most podiatry students start on 50 K minimum.

I have always been into sciences more than humanities, my entire life. This is not new.

I simply thought I was too old to re learn that basic math needed for some science degrees. Turns out I am willing to do what it takes to do a degree I feel passionate about opposed to Na easy degree simply because I feel I can do it with minimal stress.

I want to be able to diagnose patients and treat them minus the heavy duty work such as surgery. I also favour very specific and repetitive roles so I figured podiatry would be a great fit.

Trust me when I say that I am definately the most into any medical based degree. Above and beyond any other area. Humanities are not for me. My interests don't align with anything that doesn't contain science of some sort.

• Author

And Eclypse, I am aiming to do a fourth year honours or masters.

I do want the option of a degree that is also solid enough to just get me work that is more fulfilling than working at Coles or as a waitress, that is in the medical field and where I personally know of new grads who have high enough incidences of getting work.

Podiatry is medical based, specific, would be repetitive, and you have 1000 hours placement and the option of a tale certificate in year two if you wish to work as a podiatry assistant in your last year in the degree.

My friend and her peers all walled into jobs that were lined up. She failed coursed and still got work. While more students are doing it now it is still not too saturated for new students to have dire prospects.

My friend and her peers all started on 55 K jobs that were promised before graduating.

I juts love the day to day job duties of a podiatrist of which I have seen several videos of and my good friend also tells me she likes her job.

I want a job that starts on about 50 K and while I don't want a highly paid job immediately after graduating, I want a medically based degree that will give me the opportunity to do honours or masters IF I do want to increase my employability.

My strengths and likes:

Medical based, more scientific degrees that result in a career where u can diagnose or he'll diagnose and treat patients

An area that is very specific ( like focusing on purely feet or purely xray imaging all day long)

A degree that has a reasonable chance of securing full time employment at 50 ish K WITHOUT needing honours or further study.

I felt podiatry or medical radiation science therapy degrees fit my bill. I know that with honours, masters or a PhD I won't get far in the medical or science field. That is fine by me. It's better than trying to get waitresses or retail work.

And i definitely want to do masters. But if I'm not smart enough I would Iike a bachelor's that will at the very least, get me a full time job that pays the bills. Doesn't have to be fansastic. Juts better than waitresses or retail or looking after kids for well bellow minimum wage.

I am not fuss with job descriptions ad duties. I am just desperately seeking a proper and professional job in the medical or science arena. No high pay or fantastic conditions required.

• Author

To clarify,

I have ALWAYS prefered the sciences to plain humanities. However, I was a few years older than my peers and figured university level math and sciences would be too difficult for a mature aged adult.

Now I have decided that doing the non science degrees were not for me. They aren't compatable with my passions and areas of interest.

All degrees start on low pay and crappy conditions unless you are one of the lucky ones and get terrifin grades in an in demand field and network like crazy before graduating.

I at least want to study an area of genuine interest since all jobs involve lots of paper work, low starting salaries and are generally repetitive and non stimulating compared to the intensive study you undergo.