Assist Me with My Future Career.

• Author
Well, that's good! :)

I only got 92.5. I studied about 5 hours a day. I wasn't working.

Some days I didn't study at all.

I had a few days off as a "holiday" once or twice.

I am not that great at linguistics. I should have done all science subjects and studied every day and I could have got much higher than a meagre 92.5

I could have done much better which is why I am confident I can do well in a science/medical degree. Firstly, I would study harder and more often. Second of all, there would be no dry linguistic subjects that I are as boring as watching paint dry ( TO ME, some people love the study of the English language).

• Author
Really. Nobody's insinuating anything. We are mostly all people who have gone to school or training or had a lot of experience to get to the work situations we are now in. I think I can speak for the other participants in this thread when I say that none of us can relate to your process here.

It is not a very realistic way to approach your future.

For example, a week or two you were all about "easy" courses, and now you are planning to tackle physics.

There is a happy medium there, you know.

Haven't you had … every year off, so far?

Anyway, I really do hope you find what you are looking for and achieve your goals, and I bet the others here do as well. Just because we may question and even doubt some of your methods doesn't mean we don't want the best for you.

Podiatry would be the happy medium. No physics really involved, I am pretty sure I could get HD'S mostly, and it is the type of career I can see myself working in based on watching " a day in the life of" several podiatrist, and also my best female friend works as one.

Medical Radiation Science degrees would more new territory for me but they just sound so interesting. MANY students tell me they really really enjoyed the science component of the degree.

Students all rave about how they enjoyed the study component. They then go on to say the actual job is highly repetitive which suits me because I prefer repetitive tasks over more broad degrees that throw you into different roles on a daily basis.

I have not had a year off every yeay so far - I have been battling mental illness and learning how to function so please don't allude to me having years off "doing nothing" I have had to fight every year on how to live a normal life after I was 100% isolated in hospital for years and had zero people skills for many, many years.

I have tried to find work every year. Meaning looking for hundreds of jobs a day. However, I am really do not have any inclination towards hospitality or retail. Plus I cannot get jobs easily since I have limited experience in these fields.

I would then go and try a course of study once I realised I couldn't find or keep jobs in hospitality despite my very best efforts. I would then realise no degree compared to the original health science style of degree. I would get depressed and upset that I was " too old" to complete a science degree.

Before the census date I quit beauty therapy, travel retail, retail, social science and social work. None of these things lived up to the original health science style of degree I grew up as a child wanting to do my entire life....

I now lead a normal life with boyfriends, friends, occasional event work once every two months or so..... I do not struggle in social situations for the most part.

I am ready to tackle the demands of a degree because at age 28 I am hungry for a professional carer that requires a lot of study and skill.

My therapist, family and friends all agree that I have reached the stage at which I am no longer satisfied with no pursuing a professional career.

• Author

I have looked at my good friends podiatry notes and am pretty confident I could do the degree and do well.

Medical Radiation Science is a lot more to my interest as it studies more areas, however, it would be a lot harder. Not that podiatry is "easy" at all, it is not. You need to work hard.

Anyway, I will see what the physics professor says next week. I think he would have a more clear idea of whether I can be helped ( LOL )

• Author

I have been studying the course material for days now...

If I had to pick a job based on what I most want to do as a career, diagnostic medical radiation science would be the most interesting degree on offer for me.

It is all about looking at images to diagnose disease. I am the most interested in doing this sort of work, but I am sure I would still like podiatry or radiation therapy as careers.

A fellow student at the university of Newcastle told me that ATAR entrance scores into the degrees are not set in stone: my 92.3 ish (or it may have been 92.5) MAY be 0.2 BELLOW the requirement, but if there are spare places available, I would still get in!

I have until the 6th of August to put in my application for the first round offers for 2015 semester one.

I still have to meet with the physics professor so I can show him the physics related courses on offer in the medical radiation science degrees.

• Author

According to the Australian Government website:

Employment for Medical Imaging Professionals to November 2018 is expected to grow very strongly. Employment in this medium sized occupation (15,400 in November 2013) rose strongly in the past five years and in the long-term (ten years).

Medical Imaging Professionals have an average proportion of full-time jobs (77.2 per cent). For Medical Imaging Professionals working full-time, average weekly hours are 34.9 (compared to 41.1 for all occupations) and earnings are above average - in the eighth decile. Unemployment for Medical Imaging Professionals is below average.

Employment for Podiatrists to November 2018 is expected to grow very strongly. Employment in this very small occupation (5600 in November 2013) rose slightly in the past five years and rose strongly in the long-term (ten years), although with very small occupations employment estimates can fluctuate.

Podiatrists have an above average proportion of full-time jobs (78.5 per cent). For Podiatrists working full-time, average weekly hours are 45.0 (compared to 41.1 for all occupations). Unemployment for Podiatrists is below average.

^^ I think the podiatry wage is similar to that of medical imaging jobs...

• Author

I am SO angry with myself.

I only got ATAR of 92.3 or something:(

I am a bit of a perfectionist with doctors, lawyers and high earning financers in my family.

I did develop effective ways of studying I admit, however, I just didn't put as many hours in as I could have:(

And I took a linguistics/year 12 English course which was SO BORING and I WAS NOT interested in:mad: Would have done better in physics than English of you ask me:o

I should NOT have taken many days off for a "holiday" during my Higher School Certificate:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I could have gotten an ATAR of 97 I am certain, but with a meagre 92 ish I probably cannot gain a PLACE in diagnostic medical radiation science:(

Sorry just feel a little sorry for myself lol. I hate when I know I could have done better:(

Oh well. At least I went back to school after being a year ten drop out, right?

Actually, I became anorexic in year 11 and 12 and was too ill to study. I was getting A's in science and math until I fell ill and then....hospital:(

I just feel sad that I didn't get better marks and I am not restricted to bellow 92.3 ATAR entry subjects:(

I feel deeply ashamed of myself that I haven't yet gone after my professional career.

• Author

Some more info for me to consider...

I'd also consider what he's after in terms of patient contact and continuity of care. If you like people, radiation therapy offers the advantage of taking care of the same patient for several weeks to a couple of months, which allows you to establish a caring relationship with them, whereas diagnostic and nuclear medicine, being more "one-off" investigational, don't offer that. Radiation therapists also have to work out in a practical manner how the cancer treatment plans designed by the radiation oncologists can be delivered best in terms of radiation beam arrangement and dose, and that's really rewarding problem solving work, so I'd say intellectually, radiation therapy is a good field to go into (unlike the "button pushing" that other people are complaining about above).

A substantial disadvantage of radiation therapy at the moment, however, is that unfortunately we have too many radiation therapy PDYs (professional development year – first year graduates) at the moment. All of them get a position for their first training year, but things get really tough for them in their second year out, where we've had only 2 positions, and about 10-14 of them competing for that one position. (This is from my point of view as a radiation oncologist, where we've been trying to find work for them after their PDY year). The radiographers and nuke med techs have a lot of both public and private practice work to choose from. Having said that, we're expecting another 15+ linacs to be commissioned in NSW over the next couple of years, so that might alleviate the issue. Hope that helps.

ATAR isn't the end of the world. Btw you keep throwing it around. Most people here who aren't Australian would have no clue what that is. I got less than you and I got into Science at a Go8 university and have a good job now. Even if you don't get into the course you want if you do another and get a good GPA you can easily transfer.

Btw check to see how long the ATAR is valid for. I don't think it's forever. Otherwise you can do the STAT to get into Uni.

Eternal Sunshine
Btw I see you're on Whirlpool now too. Hehe that's my other main forum.

I post a lot on there too ;)

• Author
ATAR isn't the end of the world. Btw you keep throwing it around. Most people here who aren't Australian would have no clue what that is. I got less than you and I got into Science at a Go8 university and have a good job now. Even if you don't get into the course you want if you do another and get a good GPA you can easily transfer.

Btw check to see how long the ATAR is valid for. I don't think it's forever. Otherwise you can do the STAT to get into Uni.

I checked twice this year regarding my ATAR. Two people checked, and confirmed my ATAR was still valid.

I got it in 2009.

I have problems believing in myself at times.

I find it believe a mature aged student like myself could be as successful as such an intelligent, successful not to mention lovely sounding guy.

I too, have always known I am more geared towards science and medical degrees opposed to humanities, but due to my setbacks in life, I don't view myself as a "science and math whiz" like you sound.

I just find it difficult to see myself in your league. I bludged all high school. I dropped out and went back. I never GOT the chance to see if I was even good at math. I was as a child but don't have a clue as to what my natural abilities are in math or physics.......

I cant even get into diagnostic medical radiation science:( as if a student like me who is 0.2 off the ATAR will get in.

All I know so far is that I could do podiatry and do well. It starts on 50K, is not a dire outlook in terms of job prospects, and doesn't have hard math or physics. It is also local.

I think I was aiming too high in thinking I could excel in radiation therapy since I have never properly done year 11 or 12 physics to completion.

• Author
I post a lot on there too ;)

:confused:

Whirlpool hey... People on there seemed to agree that podiatry was a good choice, I have not heard a single bad thing about podiatry.....

I have heard radiation therapy is saturated with little job prospects due to such stiff competition.....

Although diagnostic has more jobs going it is too high of an ATAR for silly Leigh 87 to even get into:(

What do you know about job prospects in the medical field?

You said biomedical degrees had prospects but from what I hear, only jobs as a lab assistant are available for less than 50K starting salary:(

Is Podiatry still not too saturated to have high hopes of gaining employment? given my mate got employment with a sh*t GPA?

What do you know about Medical Radiation Science Bachelors degrees?

Thanks in advance for any additional insight.

I cant even get into diagnostic medical radiation science:( as if a student like me who is 0.2 off the ATAR will get in.

I don't know what an ATAR is but seriously just apply. Minimum boundaries are not necessarily hard and fast, if they have room in that intake and you are close to the boundary they will probably take you. It doesn't hurt to try.

• Like 1
  • Author
Btw I see you're on Whirlpool now too. Hehe that's my other main forum.

:D:laugh::o:lmao:

Well I am convinced ATARS bare NO reflection of your natural intelligence.

How does a science/math whiz like you get an ATAR equiv or lower to mine? I mean I am obviously not that smart:o ATARS must be inaccurate. Seriously. You are clearly way more intelligent than I am. I didn't work a day of high school due to severe bullying and depression. I had no will to work or live pretty much. For once single year of my entire schooling I did homework - HSC in 2009. Before then I had no idea what I was good at in high school since I never turned up to class and eventually dropped out altogether.

So I took myself out of the school system, did the HSC through an independent organisation without the incessant bullying, and actually did homework for literally the FIRST time in my teen/adult life. That is when my 4 hours a day studying got the 92%. I had no prior studies since I didn't do a scrap of work in high school. I started the HSC from scratch pretty much except I know what an atom and ion was LOL. Year 2 stuff:lmao:

I could have done a lot better but let me tell you, once I was removed from bullying I was able to finally learn and it was amazing. I couldn't believe I could learn how to study. I was always so fraught with depression from my crappy high school life to even think about studying back in the day.......I have heard many teens get bullied and turn to alternative measures to get qualifications because well, teens are total f*cks, and many resort to studying outside of the high school system just to be ABLE to study, without the perpetual bullying.

And LOL - SOCIAL WORK had an ATAR of like 85 plus to get into. WTF? no hard math or science. In fact, NO difficult technical work in the degree?ATAR MUST be based on popularity and NOT sheer technical difficulty. SO many people who "want to help people" flock to social work and it is becoming oversaturated these days.....hence the highish ATAR? I couldn't stand the degree. All you did is write essay after essay.....Yawn..... I don't mind essays but an entire degrees comprised solely on written assessment and assignment? I learnt to volunteer as a means of 'helping" people to be more fitting to my personality than doing an entire degree based on essays and helping people.

I will likely stick to podiatry since the prospects are better for a person like me and I really like the sound of the career, but man I wish I could have gotten into diagnostic medical radiation science.....super hard sounding but processing images and then helping diagnose patients would be my "dream" way to earn a living. That is for sure.

• Author
I don't know what an ATAR is but seriously just apply. Minimum boundaries are not necessarily hard and fast, if they have room in that intake and you are close to the boundary they will probably take you. It doesn't hurt to try.

ATAR is what year 12 students get. They pick a few subjects and study hard and have exams; based on their results, they get ranked on a scale known as ATAR.

All bachelors degrees have a cut off point; diagnostic medical radiation science = ATAR 92.3. My ATAR was also 92.3. Hence, I will apply but I am not likely to get a place since FAR MORE prospective students apply than positions actually available. There is a high likelihood that most students applying have higher ATARS than me.

Although they tend to reserve a few spots strictly for "mature" aged students, in every degree......

Where as Podiatry and Radiation Therapy and nuclear medicine = ATAR of 73 , 81, and 78 respectively.... I am MUCH more likely to get into those bachelors degree programs.

Thing is, I never go to realise what my true potential was since I didn't really attend high school as such. I was bullied to severely I pretty much stayed at home, faked sickies, and avoided school at all cost :D In primary I was diagnosed as "very clever" but high school onwards I did not do a day of work pretty much. I turned up, barely listened and then tried my best to avoid school.

I am not comfortable in even knowing how smart I really am or how capable I am at difficult subjects. All I have is the ONE year in my entire life I actually worked.

I know I can do well in podiatry but not sure if I could do better than a pass for medical radiation diagnostic/ therapy degrees subjects. Although I know I am capable of High Ds in a few subjects, just not likely physics since I have never learnt it before.

I am going to go for gold and at least apply for diagnostic radiation science..... if I don't get in, oh well, I have podiatry which I would be pretty happy with. At least I feel like I can get high D's in that one, rather than the very very difficult radiation diagnostic degree.......

Hey Leigh, throw all the money, ATAR's and what other people tell you would make a good career out the window..

What do YOU want to do ? What makes you happy ?

Picking a career because it makes more money than any other is a sure fire way to get into a career that you hate.

There is a story of a family member of mine that when they graduated from high school they decide they wanted a job here in my company, when asked what they wanted to do here, they asked which position paid the most money and when told they said I want to do "that" position.

They never started here, in fact were told to go out in the world and get a job somewhere else and if later on they still want to come here they could, that was about 15 years ago and they still don't work here.

I read your threads and see someone who is floundering in the decision of what to do with their job for the rest of their lives...

I think you should get some sort of school counselor to work with you and help you, picking a career based on money or ATAR is only going to make you a miserable person one day.

• Like 4
  • Author
Hey Leigh, throw all the money, ATAR's and what other people tell you would make a good career out the window..

What do YOU want to do ? What makes you happy ?

Picking a career because it makes more money than any other is a sure fire way to get into a career that you hate.

There is a story of a family member of mine that when they graduated from high school they decide they wanted a job here in my company, when asked what they wanted to do here, they asked which position paid the most money and when told they said I want to do "that" position.

They never started here, in fact were told to go out in the world and get a job somewhere else and if later on they still want to come here they could, that was about 15 years ago and they still don't work here.

I read your threads and see someone who is floundering in the decision of what to do with their job for the rest of their lives...

I think you should get some sort of school counselor to work with you and help you, picking a career based on money or ATAR is only going to make you a miserable person one day.

In terms of what I want to do for a living, a medical/science based degree and profession is where I am most excited and happy thinking about.

If ATAR and job prospects OR travel time were not in the equation? A bachelor of medical radiation (diagnostic) would be number one degree and resulting career. Hands down. If money, job prospects and all that were no object........ It is the most personally fulfilling role I could ever imagining myself doing out of all the careers on offer. It is also intellectually very stimulating and difficult, and this I would get tremendous personal growth (in order to PASS the degree).

I would love nothing more than to spend my days using my learned abilities and hard study towards processing medical images, diagnosing diseases and then the doctors would check the prognoses and inform the patients of their unfortunate news. TO be the one who DIANOSES the illness and PREPARE the imagery associated with it is just earth shattering and ground breaking for me, insofar as what medical/science degrees are on offer. THAT is the one I would do hands down. Nothing to do with money either. My personal satisfaction would be the highest doing just this.

Podiatry is the second thing I most want to do for a living because I would love to diagnose and treat people autonomously within the scope of a medical/scientific based degree and resulting career path.... Well I would refer them to actual surgeons if need be for the hard core problems but I absolutely love the subjects contained within the degree, and I would LOVE to apply medical and scientific principals to my daily work life. I would feel very personally satisfied.

If I won lotto I would still want to do either one of those hands on medical heavy degrees based on how good I believe I would feel in learning the information, achieving the degree and doing the job at hand.

• Author

Wait.

The degrees I would do if money nor job prospects were NOT factored in and money was no object...

Medical radiation science, diagnostic.

Second: nuclear medicine. But THERE IS LITTLE TO NO PROSPECTS.

Therefore, my third best choice is podiatry. I know I would enjoy the subjects on offer but I wouldn't be as fascinated as I would be in a bachelor of radiation science (nuclear medicine)

I do know where my interests lie degree and career wise. I have actually considered what I would do if money was no object. But surely if you have a few degrees you know contains material you are genuinely the most interested in and has a job you have also looked in to and feel positive about........SURELY you would research whether it has job prospects? And then pick accordingly, out of a few degrees you really like the sound of?

I mean, sure, ALL degrees would be rendered useless over time, or worse, by the time you graduate:(:lmao: I still think it is wise to follow trends and listen to students and industry experts who tell you NOT to do a degree (as in the case of radiation therapy due to oversaturation and low job prospects).

I mean, pharmacy students may really LOVE the degree and be PASSIONATE about the job. But there is NO work available in the industry pretty much, and even GRADUATES are telling everyone " DO NOT DO IT"

There needs to be a balance of what you are driven towards, and something that has some job prospects.

• Author

Guys:(

When I dig deep down, I am actually much, MUCH more interested in the nuclear medicine degree than podiatry. Bachelor of radiation science, nuclear medicine.

I just don't see any job prospects, even though the universities webpage states that " Nuclear medicine graduates from University of Newcastle have an impressive employment history over nearly 20 years and are in demand within Australia and across the world. Our graduates demonstrate work ready skills, and many have had the opportunity for rapid career advancement to either senior or management roles within Australia and overseas in a relatively short period."

You obviously cannot listen to a word the Universities say:rolleyes:

But besides the diagnostic radiation therapy degree which I will NOT get into, the nuclear medicine is definitely the degree I feel most passionate about. It is in such a fantastically niche area that I am the MOST interested in, if I had to pick between that and podiatry.

Podiatry just seems much more employable and I still really like the subjects on offer.... I love how you can diagnose and treat patients all day alone without any authority, so it is still a good fit for me. I am just not FASCINATED by the subject the way I am nuclear medicine.

Like WTF. Should I go after my biggest "academic passion" only to be unemployed and never getting to work in the field:(

Or should I take a "nice" degree that I still really like the sound of?

And no, podiatry is NOT akin to what social work was for me. As long as it is medical and I can diagnose and treat patients, or do something worthwhile to me, I would still like podiatry as a career choice fare more than a humanities based degree/career.........

• Author

Put it this way.

I could spend all day every day reading the latest cutting edge breakthroughs for nuclear medicine.

I would literally read it all day every day. For leisure. I currently do read about the medical radiation sciences and the latest breakthroughs as it is, I frequent the homepage for Australian medical radiation research.

While podiatry would still be " interesting" and the subjects to my liking, I would not live and breath it in my spare time.

But podiatry is a reliable degree, has so many hours placement and has an added certificate any year two student can do, that will allow them to work in the industry during their third year of study...

• Author

Nuclear Waste: Are we selling Nuclear Medicine grads short? - Health Staff Solutions - Health Staff Solutions

But when students DO get jobs,

Medical Imaging Professionals - Job Outlook

So if you are lucky enough to actually GET employment, the outlook is good.

As you can see, the thing I am the most interested in has no job prospects unless you get HD's and top marks, you can prob never expect to get employed. It looks like half the grads would have to get a masters in another science field or do another year or two of study to transition between degrees.

• Author

If the Nuclear Medicine community decides that a PDY should continue to be required then it can also be argued that the community has an ethical obligation to provide sufficient places for all those new graduates who want one each year. It seems that at the present time there are insufficient places available and that some new graduates are therefore being prevented from entering the workforce for some considerable time. This is a serious issue that the ANZSNM will need to address with some urgency if the PDY is to continue.

Graduate NMTs are required to commence their PDY within 2 years following graduation. If they fail to obtain a PDY placement, they’re effectively barred from entering the profession.

Brian (not his real name) graduated with a 3 year degree (Bachelor of Applied Science (Medical Radiation Sciences) Nuclear Medicine) from University of Sydney in 2005. He tried to find a PDY placement for some time, without success.

Still keen on working in this field, Brian returned to study in 2008, commencing Part 1 of a Diploma in Medical Ultrasound with the Australasian Society for Ultrasound in Medicine. Part 2 of this qualification involves 12 months of clinical placement, but again, Brian was unable to secure a placement.

The Australian Sonographer’s Association (ASA) acknowledges the problems experienced by graduates in finding clinical practice placements. “The ASA is aware the current system of students being required to find a two-year student/trainee position within a hospital or practice is extremely difficult for many students. … Generally the most challenging aspect of seeking to become a sonographer is securing a student sonographer position.”

Undaunted, Brian returned to University of Sydney in 2010, enrolling in a Master of Diagnostic Radiography (Hons) course, a further 2 years of full-time study. Again, he tried without success to find the DPY placement he needed to complete his registration.

So, following six years of study in his chosen field of medical imaging (and with a mounting HECS debt), Brian is still unable to find the PDY he needs to get into the workforce. How could the system have failed him so badly!

Why do training institutions continue to enrol students (like Brian) in nuclear medicine courses (and other medical imaging courses) when it’s clear there is not sufficient demand (or training places) in the market for the number of graduates they’re producing? It’s a waste of educational resources and a terrible waste for young people like Brian who have been encouraged to continue studying when there was a best a 50% chance he would find work in his chosen career.

Unlike more general qualifications that offer a variety of potential career paths, nuclear medicine technologists are trained in a very narrow field. Their skills are not transferrable. Perhaps we should be providing these people with a basic degree in radiography, then proving specialist training for a smaller number of people who wish to specialize in nuclear medicine.

• Author

Just terrible:(

So it seems like I should pick a degree I am interested in but not my number one choice in terms of how fascinated I am in the course work and general area of study, since there is like a 50% chance of actually getting employment in nuclear medicine.

• Author

Turned off nuclear medicine due to such abysmal job prospects (except in VIC, the state where there seems to be some jobs available), I have began talking to podiatry grads.

They say the degree is challenging; human biomechanics is done in more depth than any other degree. They all say the actual degree is very satisfying and rewarding if you are into medical sciences, and most grads walk into a job and have jobs offered before graduation with a decent rate of pay for a new grad. All grads start on 50 plus K.

However, apparently many patients don't respect you and assume you are stupid and simply are only qualified to cut toenails. LOL. Further, the actual JOB is not very challenging or stimulating. You basically cut toenails all day and treat corns and bunions. Still though, I would rather do a repetitive job that I became an expert at and have pride in and that has a decent rate of pay, than serve people beer or food, or work in a retail outlet with no job satisfaction.

Also, if you enjoy patient care and talking to people on on one, it is a good job since you get to talk to the patients; there is a huge emphasis on "patient care". I really like that element of the job, and feel it would compensate for the repetitive and non challenging work. You do get patients with chronic back problems on occasion and that work is quiet challenging, but the day to day patients are normally not a "challenge" so to speak.

I think I should do the above ^^^ than try for nuclear medicine degree since there are NO job prospects and I would NOT feel comfortable knowing that a job was NOT very likely to result from my hard work.

The council of nuclear medicine has issued warnings to universities stating that they don't appreciate the too high number of students needing placement when they DO NOT have enough positions available. They then feel crappy that they cannot help students, who will then not be able to complete their actual DEGREE due to NO placements available........

While I think it's great that you are considering employment prospects and demand as part of your analysis, you will not be guaranteed a job in any field, no matter how good the employment prospects appear to be. It will also be dependent on your grades, contacts, how well you interview, and the competition. While clearly a field with more openings gives you more options, it's still no guarantee.

To that end (and given that you are focused on science related degrees), I think you should focus first on what you want to do, second on how well you think you can do in that field (grades), and third on the employment prospects. Obviously if there are no job prospects at all, you should avoid those fields.

• Like 5