Dating a much younger girl :/

Run_Ronnie_Run

Simon Phoenix
Again. Long distance running is not pushing the human body the way sprinting does. Long distance running is more so about oxygen efficiency. Not so much raw physical ability.

Thats why almost every sport in the world, including SPRINTING. The top athletes are in their 20s.

And you failed on baseball. Any Sabermatrician will tell you theres a good reason why players lose market value when they reach 30 year old.

But thats every professional sport really.

Absolutely not on baseball. Justin Verlander, Derek Jeter, Barry Bonds (pre-steroids), Ken Griffey Jr., Albert Pujols, Alex Rodriguez, Ichiro (who didn't even come over to the Mariners until he was 27), Manny Ramirez, Miguel Cabrera is 30 right now, I could go on and on for days. I work in sports and if you told a baseball scout that his players peak physically in their mid-20s, he'd laugh you right out of the room. 28-31 is generally considered a baseball player's prime.

• Like 1

And the NFL. Ever wonder why guys in the skill positions where you need speed, quickness, etc, tend to be in their early to mid 20s at their prime? WRs, RB, CBs. Other positions like QB, you can be old because you dont have to move or do as much.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/datablog/2012/aug/07/olympics-2012-athletes-age-weight-height

Average Olympian is 26. What was that guy saying about all the sports including track and field? lol

Simon Phoenix
BPL the prime is NOT late 20s. The average age for the top players is early to mid 20s. Why else do you think people kept calling Van Persie and Dempsey old at only 29 years old last year?

Mens tennis, the top ranked players are always in their mid 20s. Rafa, Murray, Djokovic ALL MID 20s. Thats something thats never changed with tennis. The top ranked guys are generally in their mid 20s.

And the womens game is dominated by teenagers and early 20s women. With the exception of gals like Serena Williams. She outclasses people in her 30s.

We were talking about male primes. I didn't say anything about a woman's prime. And as far as tennis players, I'll give you Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Roger Federer, all dominant in their late 20s, early 30s.

I mean, this is pretty much accepted in most male sports.

• Like 1

And lets not really compare baseball...where fatties like Sabathia and Fielder have full time jobs, to the standards of other sports.

Again. Long distance running is not pushing the human body the way sprinting does. Long distance running is more so about oxygen efficiency. Not so much raw physical ability.

Thats why almost every sport in the world, including SPRINTING. The top athletes are in their 20s.

1. Long-distance running and sprinting both push the body hard, just in different ways. People don't die from sprinting; they do from marathons. You have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to long-distance running; you're telling me running 26.2 miles, or 100 miles, is only about oxygen efficiency? :lmao: Most ultramarathoners are in their 30's and 40's - if you mean to tell me that men who run 100 miles in 103 degree heat aren't bad arses,... well then, I don't know what to tell you.

2. Michael Johnson set the world record at 34.

• Like 1
Simon Phoenix
And the NFL. Ever wonder why guys in the skill positions where you need speed, quickness, etc, tend to be in their early to mid 20s at their prime? WRs, RB, CBs. Other positions like QB, you can be old because you dont have to move or do as much.

Could you be an athlete? Olympics 2012 by age, weight and height | Sport | theguardian.com

Average Olympian is 26. What was that guy saying about all the sports including track and field? lol

Um, most dominant receivers are dominant way into their 30s. Jerry Rice was dominant throughout his 30s, Randy Moss (set the NFL TD receiving record at age 30), Calvin Johnson (set the yards record at 27), Terrell Owens. Same with tight ends -- Tony Gonzalez. At CB, Charles Woodson was the Defensive MVP at age 33.

Running back is the main position where younger is better. Most running backs are on fumes by the time they are 30. Every other position you'll find plenty of studs in the 28-31 year-old range.

• Like 1
Simon Phoenix
And lets not really compare baseball...where fatties like Sabathia and Fielder have full time jobs, to the standards of other sports.

Yep, Barry Bonds was a complete fatass. Same with Sammy Sosa. Stop trying to move the goalposts on this argument.

• Like 1
We were talking about male primes. I didn't say anything about a woman's prime. And as far as tennis players, I'll give you Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Roger Federer, all dominant in their late 20s, early 30s.

I mean, this is pretty much accepted in most male sports.

Federer is NOT dominant anymore. Have you been watching tennis? Hes good...but Murray, Nadal, and Djokovic are owning the mens game right now.

The guys you all mentioning were GOOD in their 30s, NOT dominant (with the exception of Andre). They were most domninant and the highest ranked in their mid 20s. Do I need to school you with links?

ATP Heritage: Federer Breaks No. 1 Milestone - Tennis - ATP World Tour

Read the average age of number 1s and top 10s. Ages 26 and 24. You guys arent winning this argument without solid facts.

Simon Phoenix

Also, I'd say LeBron James is in his physical prime right now. Guess how old he is? 28. Michael Jordan's best years were in his late 20s, early 30s, same with Shaquille O'Neal, Hakeem Olajuwon, Kobe Bryant, etc.

• Like 2
  • Author
Run_Ronnie_Run

Haha I dunno about the best age for male sportsman and I doubt I'd break into the Olympic sprint team but I do like to keep in shape - I was a personal trainer when my son was younger before I got my current job, is till hit the gym 3-4 times a week and since my wife died I've got really in to marathon running, that was a way for me to clear my head.

1. Long-distance running and sprinting both push the body hard, just in different ways. People don't die from sprinting; they do from marathons. You have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to long-distance running; you're telling me running 26.2 miles, or 100 miles, is only about oxygen efficiency? :lmao: Most ultramarathoners are in their 30's and 40's - if you mean to tell me that men who run 100 miles in 103 degree heat aren't bad arses,... well then, I don't know what to tell you.
Dont ignore the average age for Olympians that I like.

2. Michael Johnson set the world record at 34.

1 guy doesnt change the fact that the vast majority of sprinters peak in their 20s. Usain Bolt for example. Best in the world and hes not 34

Simon Phoenix
Federer is NOT dominant anymore. Have you been watching tennis? Hes good...but Murray, Nadal, and Djokovic are owning the mens game right now.

The guys you all mentioning were GOOD in their 30s, NOT dominant (with the exception of Andre). They were most domninant and the highest ranked in their mid 20s. Do I need to school you with links?

ATP Heritage: Federer Breaks No. 1 Milestone - Tennis - ATP World Tour

Read the average age of number 1s and top 10s. Ages 26 and 24. You guys arent winning this argument without solid facts.

Federer won two Grand Slam titles when he was 28. He was plenty dominant.

• Like 1
Also, I'd say LeBron James is in his physical prime right now. Guess how old he is? 28. Michael Jordan's best years were in his late 20s, early 30s, same with Shaquille O'Neal, Hakeem Olajuwon, Kobe Bryant, etc.
And any basketball player will tell you the mental part is what brings them over the hump in their late 20s. Kobe has said this in interviews. That his body was peaking younger, but that his mental game wasnt there yet.
1 guy doesnt change the fact that the vast majority of sprinters peak in their 20s. Usain Bolt for example. Best in the world and hes not 34

How do you know he's at his peak? Who's to say he won't be faster at 34 than he is now? :p

Simon Phoenix
And any basketball player will tell you the mental part is what brings them over the hump in their late 20s. Kobe has said this in interviews. That his body was peaking younger, but that his mental game wasnt there yet.

And you don't think LeBron is physically more powerful now than he was five years ago? Take a lap.

• Like 1
Federer won two Grand Slam titles when he was 28. He was plenty dominant.

How does that change the average age of the mens number 1 or top tens?

My point stands firm and is backed up by stats from the tennis official themselves.

And you don't think LeBron is physically more powerful now than he was five years ago? Take a lap.

Hes been powerful and plowing through guys his WHOLE career.

Can you argue the facts Ive presented about average Olympian age, and average top tennis player age?

Im presented evidence.

Simon Phoenix
How does that change the average age of the mens number 1 or top tens?

My point stands firm and is backed up by stats from the tennis official themselves.

You think late 20s is over the hill. It's not even close. Even in a sport such as tennis where it skews younger than most late 20s is right around the peak. In most sports, late 20s is the peak. I'm really not sure what your point of continuing to argue this is, but you made a lazy statement initially and it's been pretty much disproven in multiple sports. We can droll on this all day, but you'd be better off just admitting that you made a lazy blanket statement earlier.

^You guys seem to get butt hurt over age stuff. No ones saying people cant dominate or look good in their 30s. But its a proven fact that most people are in their physical prime in their 20s. And no one is providing any sources to back up their thoughts, just opinion.

Ive at least providing some links with facts regarding this stuff.

Simon Phoenix
Hes been powerful and plowing through guys his WHOLE career.

Can you argue the facts Ive presented about average Olympian age, and average top tennis player age?

Im presented evidence.

Really? LeBron has been a hell of a lot more physical down low now than he was earlier in his career, a lot of which has been the product of him getting stronger and trusting that strength. Just stop dude.

Simon Phoenix
^You guys seem to get butt hurt over age stuff. No ones saying people cant dominate or look good in their 30s. But its a proven fact that most people are in their physical prime in their 20s. And no one is providing any sources to back up their thoughts, just opinion.

Ive at least providing some links with facts regarding this stuff.

You also tried arguing that baseball doesn't count because it has a couple of good players that are fat.

Dont ignore the average age for Olympians that I linked.

Fixed typo. It said "that I like", but now correctly says "that I liked"

You think late 20s is over the hill. It's not even close. Even in a sport such as tennis where it skews younger than most late 20s is right around the peak. In most sports, late 20s is the peak. I'm really not sure what your point of continuing to argue this is, but you made a lazy statement initially and it's been pretty much disproven in multiple sports. We can droll on this all day, but you'd be better off just admitting that you made a lazy blanket statement earlier.

I never said it was over the hill. Im just saying its not the absolute peak. Again. Ive backed up my claims with more than just personal opinion. Plus, I wasnt the one in their thread trying the use the exception of a few guys doing well in their 30s, to say that guys in their 30s can outclass dudes in the 20s.

I merely stated what science and sport generally show to be the peak age for physical ability. And I provided links to back that up. No one else has done that.

You also tried arguing that baseball doesn't count because it has a couple of good players that are fat.

I said that its silly to compare baseball to other sports. Baseball requires a lot less physical activity. And Im telling you that as someone who grew up playing baseball, basketball, and now players soccer.

You generally cannot be out of shape and succeed in basketball. And definitely not in soccer. In baseball thats possible because you can be a pitcher, or play a position that requires less fielding effort. Or you can just DH.

Really? LeBron has been a hell of a lot more physical down low now than he was earlier in his career, a lot of which has been the product of him getting stronger and trusting that strength. Just stop dude.

Hes been this dominant for several years now. Hes just lucky to finally have a good team around him. Hes been owning the league throughout his 20s and would have more MVPs and Championships if he had D-Wade and Bosh with him the entire time.

Anyways Im done. Im sure all these posts will be deleted for being Off Topic.

Edited by kaylan
Simon Phoenix

I've played plenty of sports and spent most of my life working in sports. What you are saying just doesn't hold water in many sports. I've worked with professional athletes in all sorts of sports and to a man they'll tell you that they hit their physical peak as far as strength, endurance and technique in their late 20s.

Even without sports, I can't believe you've never heard the saying about men growing more attractive as they get older. As someone in my 30s, I must say it's been easier to pick up women now than it was in my 20s. And it's not like I've massively transformed by body -- I have just aged well and a lot of men do naturally. That tends to annoy the crap out of women. In the case of the OP, getting 22-year-olds at age 30 is like shooting fish in a barrel at times.

• Like 1

Im talking about physical ability. Not whether men are more attractive as they get older. And a man being more attractive as he gets older has a lot more to do with security and maturity than physical ability. Which is what we were discussing here.

So dont try to sidetrack by bringing up this idea that I dont know about men being attractive when they get older. I never said such a thing.

And again, all youve provided is your personal opinion. Only one man have backed up his points with factual stats...ie...me.

Edited by kaylan