Terriost obtained information about school system in my area

Originally posted by moimeme

Unless you live in or near an actual political target, like a major economic area or some other important symbol, I don't think it's realistic to be terrified all the time.

Whoa. I don't think anybody said they were "terrified all the time." Aren't you stretching a little?

Remember, I worked in the Department of Foreign Affairs. If I were to be scared all the time, that would have been the place to do it.

But wait, weren't you in the safest country, your beloved Canada? How dangerous could that be? :p

I'm astonished that people in Israel go about their daily lives, even though they may get blown to smithereens going to work on the bus on any given day. I think people become objective about it and figure if it's their time to go, they'll go and if not, they won't. You can't live in constant fear - that'll kill you faster than terrorists will.

Last time I checked, us Americans WERE going about our daily lives. What, do you think we all sit at home on our computers all day watching CNN...wait... :confused:

Moi,

I think the real issue here is that the parents weren't informed of what happened. It's not too much to ask what's going on in your child's School. So be it, it's more work to get the news out and some may say it's a waste of time. But as for me and countless others I think it should be a service of the Schools to do so. After all, I'm paying their salaries.

I think the real issue here is that the parents weren't informed of what happened. It's not too much to ask what's going on in your child's School

But it was *not* going on!

Maybe it wasn't going on. However, if there was any suspensions that these rumors where going to become common knowledge, I think the School should've adressed the parents with a clear representation of how these rumors came about. Especially with the current concerns in our country.

Moi-

You may trust a magic 8 ball to tell you when to worry and when to relax. I would rather be given information as it becomes available- not when it becomes available to the media- to make decisions for myself and my family. Anybody witholding information that may pertain to the safety of anybody in my country becomes suspicious in my mind. I just don't see how parents are expected to trust their child's safety to anybody who is willing to withold information concerning threats- rumor or not- from them.

There was never a threat. They never had to alert you of anything, because there was never anything to alert! I think some people just enjoy causing trouble.

It's one thing to be spooked for your kids sake. It's quite another to pursue a school for an imagined infraction.

There are many fake alarms sent to businesses, schools, and all manner of organizations. If you think that you are informed about every one of them, you're sadly mistaken. The more attention you give the fakers, the more people are tempted to fake it which is why a responsible organization will do what it can to verify the information rather than spread every rumour that flies by.

If there was never any need to worry, they shouldn't have publicized it. Atleast before they got their facts straight.

The possibility of an attack even frightens me.

Once bitten twice shy?

I think the School should've adressed the parents with a clear representation of how these rumors came about.

Ditto. OMG you worded it perfect Moosey.

Originally posted by tikibrandy

If there was never any need to worry, they shouldn't have publicized it. Atleast before they got their facts straight.

There's the media for you. "Terrorist has your school's plans" works a lot better than say, a factual heading.

The possibility of an attack even frightens me.

Once bitten twice shy?

A school's job is not to frighten you.

The threat here is NONEXISTANT, there was NEVER any TERRORIST PLOT. The school owes you nothing, and at that point you're just looking for trouble. You honestly think the school should send out a letter:

Dear Parent,

Recently there was a story about a terrorist plot to harm your children! It's not true. But still. Dra-ma.

Love,

The school.

Dumb.

Originally posted by dyermaker

Dumb.

Dyer, I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe if it touched your heart at a level that it touched parents regarding their beloved children, you might would feel differently. Until then, how about not calling anything "Dumb" until YOU can put yourself in that position?

Can you truly put yourself in that position and be empathetic towards a frightened parent? Or can you honestly say you've never been down that road and YOU DON'T KNOW?

Wow that is scary...I didn't read the other posts because it was getting kinda hot in here...

But i would be terrified and yes I would expect for the schools to send out a letter but of course they won't as to not hype everyone else up.

I would leave my child home and let them tell me something about it..shiot!

Since I didn't read the other posts what are you plannig to do Heather? Will you send your child to school on election day?

Dear Parent,

Recently a bomb threat was called into your child's school. We waited until the kids had gone home for the day- then called in the bomb sniffing dogs. Just as we thought- there was no bomb. You can count on us.

Sincerely,

The School

It was a THREAT! You can not give it special treatment b/c it may/may not have had terrorist links. All threats should be taken seriously until PROVEN false.

Originally posted by tikibrandy

Until then, how about not calling anything "Dumb" until YOU can put yourself in that position?

Can you truly put yourself in that position and be empathetic towards a frightened parent?

If you've read the entirety of the replies, I did feel very empathetic towards a concerned parent, and I imagine nothing is more frightening than a terrorist plot concerning a child's life!

However, there WAS NO PLOT. The school would be WASTING THEIR TIME, NEEDLESSLY ALARMING PARENTS OF A PLOT THAT DOESN'T EXIST! They'd be riling you up for nothing! NO REASON!

So while I feel empathy for being concerned over the life of your child, I feel absolutely no empathy for someone looking to stir up trouble with a school administration.

There's simply no reason why they should have sent out a letter. That's {brace yourself} dumb.

Originally posted by Fayebelle

Dear Parent,

Recently a bomb threat was called into your child's school.

Faye, that didn't happen!

I don't think by sending out a letter saying,

Dear Parents,

We have been informed of a possible threat to our School on election day. Information we have gathered implies that this threat is merely rumor. However, if you feel a concern for the saftey of your child or children we will understand if your child is absent on that day.

Sincelery,

Principal Moosey

i don't call that dumb at all. I call it informative.

Lol that would be so cool if LS was like HS and "Moosey" was our principle lmao..

Ok (shutting imagination off) I agree with that letter..You worded it perfect..Because I think the parents deserve to know..because it is a THREAT..and a very serious one at that and you should be able to make the decison on whether or not to send your child to school that day..

Originally posted by dyermaker

Faye, that didn't happen!

Sarcasm Dyer :rolleyes: The point was IF a the school system treated a bomb threat w/out informing the parents until after the information was released in the media then there would be an immediate uproar. All threats should be given equal treatment and the parent's should be informed.

If the school can take time to notify parents of an upcoming bakesale or a parent teacher conference then they should make time to notify them of a possible threat to the children's safety.

• Author

Yup moose should be a principal! I would have appreicated the leter... EC I will not be sending my child to school the whole week of Election. rumor or not I don't feel comfortable doing it... maby we'll just take a vacation.

Give up, Dyer. Don't you realize that unless you kowtow to every fantasy, whim, and imagining of every single human - no matter how unrealistic they are or how ridiculous - you are not empathic? Used to be that people were expected to behave sensibly and reasonably and not run off screaming at every imagined threat. The moral of 'Chicken Little' is to not raise needless alarms and get exercised over nothing, not that everyone should flip out because Chicken Little got scared and rush around to try to calm him down. :rolleyes:

Used to be that people were expected to behave sensibly and reasonably and not run off screaming at every imagined threat.

Well it's common knowledge that this just isn't true anymore. That's why I think that since the Schools know this, they should at least inform us parents of potential threats.....even if it's deemed a rumor.

Originally posted by moimeme

not raise needless alarms and get exercised over nothing

I'm glad to see that your brain capacity far supercedes ours. :laugh: I don't call this nothing. Maybe I'm thinking on a different level? An American one with terrorist threats fresh in my noggin?

I'm glad to see that my motherhood experience has far superceded other posters with no knowledge of having children and cannot have empathy for those that do. And I've never heard of chicken little. Must be the generation gap? :rolleyes:

One morning about a month ago I went to my daughter's elementary school alone to drop off her project, about an hour before school started.

The main door was unlocked, I walked right in past the secretary that was looking the other way, and into my daughter's empty classroom with a package the size of a large shoebox.

I set the package on the teacher's desk and left the building again unseen.

I easily could have walked in and put a bomb on that desk....so much for your children being safe in school.

Our school is fairly large, but I graduated from there and I know most of the staff, I grew up with them. But I can walk into the School just like you did and wander around as long as I wanted. The only downfall is that I might run into someone and have to stand there and talk to them. I have a licence to carry, so I guess my point is, anyone, whether a stranger or someone well known can walk into a School, with a gun, lose sanity and start blasting people away.

When I was going to elementary school in Dover, Del. there were metal detectors and guards at the entrance and then there were security guards in most of the hallways.....ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!!!! Granted, this school was a low income, prodominatly black school and things were already in a uproar.