Terriost obtained information about school system in my area

Originally posted by dyermaker

The stock market?

:lmao: That was a hilarious :) Now I do not feel so icky having gotten no sleep and being awake so very early. I think a good laugh is what I needed.

• Author

Nobody offended me at all, and I am glad I got to read more articales on this. I am still very scared and I am thinking about other options untill election time. I am a very over protective mother, I have seen death in my child's face several times due to medical reasons and he over came it, I just can't send him to school every day knowing that a slim possibility of harm may exist. :(

I do have some issues I need to work out with myself on not being so over protective when it comes to little things, but a scare like this meida or not, I am going to take very seriously as other parents in our town should. Rumor or not.

Originally posted by tikibrandy

Pray like hell. Vote for Kerry, I hope he can provide a more safe country than what we're experiencing now. :mad:

Wow, I'm really surprised I didn't get chewed a new a**h*** on this one? Is your silence a sign of agreement?! :D

• Author

I just don't know anymore, actually I have decided not to vote this year. ( but I still THINK I am a republican ;) )

Originally posted by stoneheather

I just don't know anymore, actually I have decided not to vote this year. ( but I still THINK I am a republican ;) )

VOTE! It would be very irresponsible otherwise especially given your heightened fear.

Her fear was heightened by the scaremongering that happens with every rumour. Which is why, if she does vote, she should vote Democrat.

The extremity of public reaction to ANYTHING that happens at a public school cannot be underestimated. Last year there was a rumor at my school that a Hispanic gang would raid the building to rid certain African American students of their mortal coil.

Before school began, the media AND PARENTS had taken up strategic positions around the building to record the expected mayhem!

Many students left school with their parents (after lunch, of course, terrorism is apparently one thing, but missing the free daily lunch is a much bigger deal).

Nothing ever came of this.

Frankly, Stoneheather, a Columbine-type terror would seem to be a much more likely threat, and one you should be more worried about.

What has prompted your latest fear isn't necessarily that American school designs may or may not have been found in Iraq, but the death of hundreds of middle school aged kids at the hands of terrorists in Russia. What interests me is that I would suppose Russia's school systems are much more centralized than our own, and might therefore be much more secure in the sense that "Homeland Security" measures could be enforced much more uniformly. This was not the case, or at least any such measures proved ineffective.

One would expect that our wild patchwork of school systems within the USA might be even more vunerable since there is no federal security control WITHIN our system. But with the popularity of NCLB, a federally inspired effort to improve the curriculum standards of US public schools, one may guess the reaction if a school was attacked: The federal government would become more intrusive into the system with the door swung open with the excuse for increased security.

Perhaps increase in federal security FUNDING in schools would be a good thing?

Unhappily it may take another disaster to wake them up.

Does anyone ever expect the terrorist threat level to ever reach green?

It won't.

The polls prove that whenever the terrorist threat level is upgraded, Bush gets a boost in ratings. People percieve that there was a threat and it was taken care of, because obviously nothing happened.

But think about this: Nothing happened in the 8 years prior to 9/11 either, and we didn't have a color alert system or fancy "homeland security" department.

• Author

I am upset because I happened to stumble upon this e mail from a rumor from a friend, I don't recall the news or papers really going crazy about this story in our town. I know there shouldn't be a massive panic attack in our town due to some circumstances but I believe that it is the responsibility of the school board to notify the parents, and properly explain EVERY FACT about the situation to the parents of the children. I think the public school system did parents a great disservice for not properly covering this. :mad: I feel I should have been notified. :mad:

O Yeah, once again, the American school system has failed the American Public!

First they didn't teach enough math and science, and the USSR was beating the US in the "space race" with Sputnik. Next they racially segregated society, bringing on race rioting. Yes the system must be deeply flawed.....it is ALWAYS the fault of the school system!!

Or could it possibly be that The American Public demands everything from a poorly supported system?

Originally posted by Nosmas

O Yeah, once again, the American school system has failed the American Public!

First they didn't teach enough math and science, and the USSR was beating the US in the "space race" with Sputnik. Next they racially segregated society, bringing on race rioting. Yes the system must be deeply flawed.....it is ALWAYS the fault of the school system!!

Or could it possibly be that The American Public demands everything from a poorly supported system?

Then who would you recommend contact her? I'd think it'd be the school system? Maybe the president should've called?! :laugh:

• Author

Am I wrong for thinking This should have been made public to the parents?! I have never claimed that the American School System failed me.

Am I wrong for thinking This should have been made public to the parents?!

Oh hell no!!! I'd want to know if it was my son's school! :mad: Who else would call me but the school? Donald Rumsfeld? :rolleyes::laugh:

• Author

I am on the PTA I haven't heard a single thing. You beet I am going to stir up some S*it at the next meeting!

Good For You. You should call an emergency meeting specifically to address this issue and invite the Principal and the Superintendant. Explain that if they can not make time to attend- you will see if any local news stations can fit you into their schedules.

I would rather be safe than sorry, I live in a high risk place also and if it were me, I would be afraid of terrorism until my child was 90 years old! I just got a nephew and if he was in school, he would be home schooled if that kind of threat was in our area....These days it's hard to trust anyone!

Both Kimi and Faybelle have illustrated why the American Public school would, unhappily, make a great terrorist target.

First our democracy depends on their survival, home schooling would undermine this system of "inclusion."

Second, they are "soft targets."

Third, the public reaction to just the threat of terrorism makes administering at, or within, school systems even less pleasant than it already is. The Principal and the Superintendant need more to challenge them? No wonder we are facing a serious shortage of competent, not to mention qualified, candidates for these leadership positions.

And stoneheather, before we begin to stir up some S*it, we had better consider the alternatives. How'd you like to be the principal of a school?

• Author

OK Nomas, I would never want to be a principal of a school, I think they are wonderful and severly underpaid, and I don't want to Stir up S@it at school really I love my childs school he goes to a special needs school and every single employee there is important to me.

But at the same time my dear :) This little boy is my life and I am honestly scared to death, silly maby but I just can't imagine the thought of any children let alone my own be the smallest, smidgen of threat to harm. Look what happened in Russia, if that we're my child I couldn't imagine life. :( I know I can't shelter him forever) over the weekend I have thought about it and he will continue to go to school... I will not send him durring the election.

If it appreas that I am Public School bashing that is simply not the case. :o

If it appreas that I am Public School bashing that is simply not the case. :o

YOU'RE NOT. I would be freaking out if it were my son. I think any person would have fear for their child in this situation. I think it's your natural reaction as a PARENT.