Terriost obtained information about school system in my area

So you think that the school board and principal should take the time to call all the parents to tell them about a rumour about something that was not true? How many rumours would you like to be informed about? In this day and age, there's a new rumour every day - most turn out to be overblown. What earthly good would it be to have a huge meeting and brouhaha over a rumour that turned out to be inaccurate??

I'm guessing the principal hopes that the parents will read the news for themselves. After all, the idea is to teach kids to find out information on their own, is it not? So presumably the parents, having graduated, now know how to find these things out without the school having to waste time and money telling you what the news already has.

First....New York and Washington DC.

Second...Fort Myers, Florida.

One of these three is not like the other.

Originally posted by moimeme

So you think that the school board and principal should take the time to call all the parents to tell them about a rumour about something that was not true? How many rumours would you like to be informed about? In this day and age, there's a new rumour every day - most turn out to be overblown. What earthly good would it be to have a huge meeting and brouhaha over a rumour that turned out to be inaccurate??

I'm guessing the principal hopes that the parents will read the news for themselves. After all, the idea is to teach kids to find out information on their own, is it not? So presumably the parents, having graduated, now know how to find these things out without the school having to waste time and money telling you what the news already has.

I expect the school to do something, yes. Even if it's student education. They are sitting there like a knot on a log doing NOTHING. Not even calling PTA meetings into action. Maybe if they ignore it it'll go away. As did the 9/11 attacks. :laugh:

And if it were YOUR CHILDS school system, let's see how YOU'D react. Maybe differently? I would imagine that her job is to protect her son as much as possible. Would you just sit there?

Just as it was not Iraq that caused 9/11 but yet everyone still thinks Bush is 'fighting terrorists' in Iraq, so here is another example - it was a rumour. Your school was never in danger and is not now. So why, as I asked before, have all this brouhaha over NO THREAT? I would understand that the news rumour was mistaken, breathe a sigh of relief, and move on. I would not continue to believe that a rumour which was proven to be false was true.

I would expect the school to take ANY threat to a child's safety seriously- rumor or not. Children who mention in passing bombs, guns, knives, etc... can be expelled. Quite obviously terrorists would not be shaken at the thought of being sent to the principal's office- but if a 2nd grader tells that another student has a weapon and that threat is taken seriously- than why on earth would you turn a blind eye to the possible threat by terrorists?

The parents had a right to be aware of the situation and to make decisions based on that knowledge. I'm sure SH would not be nearly as frightened if she felt her school district took her child's safety seriously. As it is - she feels they downplayed what could have been a very serious situation. How is she supposed to trust these people w/the life of her child?

I'm not saying that the school officials should have called a meeting and screamed "The terrorists are coming!" but they should have been more responsible about keeping the parents notified as they received information. Then maybe SH and other parents would feel secure in the knowledge that they were taking every threat seriously and doing everything in their power to protect her child when he is under their care.

a rumour which was proven to be false was true.

And how would you really know it was a rumour that PROVED to be false? Who can you trust? Do you believe everything you hear? This is her son's LIFE. They can atleast extend student and parent education. That's my thoughts.

And I agree with what Fayebelle has stated.

Face it, people who don't have kids have a harder time understanding.

Stoneheather, I understand what you're going through and I feel for you. Don't let the others get to you.

Keep us posted.

You know, I'm starting to think that Michael Moore's theory that Americans are fearful people is right. It was a rumour. Why are you so eager to believe rumours? Do you want to live in panic? I completely understand that it would be scary *if it was true*. But to continue to be stressed and worried over something that isn't true is to create stress and worry in your household, which doesn't help.

Bush has effectively scared you all to death. It's like SARS and everything else. OK, SAUDI ARABIAN terrorists blew up two buildings. Three years ago. You have a much greater chance of dying of the 'flu or in car accident and your kids have a greater chance of being shot by their classmates. Expend your worry on things which are real threats instead of boogeymen in your closets that are not there.

• Author

Rumors with childrens faces are very scarry. I didn't mean to turn this in to a political post. I refuse to post my political opinion on LS ... it's a non stop bashing circle. :mad:

Moimeme, do you have children? I do. I'd like to keep mine around as long as possible. But if you don't have children, let's use this scenario (I'm assuming you work, I could be wrong):

Plans to YOUR workplace have been found by (possible) terrorists. It's on the NATIONAL news. Days later, only to find out it was a "rumour", you feel at ease. Do you panic at all? Do you let your fears subside?

I do believe that this country is in fear. I'm in fear. And that's why I'm voting for Kerry dammit. So, big deal, I've been scared to death? Do you live in fear? Do you live in the United States? Would you live your life in fear ID you lived in the United States?

Isn't an ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure?

I used to work for our Department of Foreign Affairs. For this reason, to this day, I'm suspicious of any unattended package or bag. I've been sniffed by bomb dogs in my own workplace. I've had to evacuate 'IMMEDIATELY' due to potential threats. I understand what security is. I also understand that if you are frightened of every shadow, you only transmit needless worry to your family.

Do you panic at all?

No.

Do you let your fears subside?

Yes, because it was a rumour. Just like the rumours the world will end that people come up with every now and then. Just like any other rumours that are wildly untrue - they aren't worth believing. It's just that you've been terrified to death because of one incident.

Moimeme - Are you scared of getting the flu? Do you get a flu shot?

Do you fear anything? I'm moving to where you are. But after I vote for Kerry. :laugh:

Moi- if you are such a fan of Michael Moore than you should be aware that 9/11 is not the only event that leads to fear of children's safety in schools. Columbine was a very extreme demonstration of what happens every day in America. The bombing in Russia shows that children are not exempt from terrorist attacks. Any and all threats should be taken seriously. If you want to play Russian roulette w/your kids- have them go lay on some railroad tracks- there's a chance that the engineer will see them- or that no train will come thru that day- so they should be perfectly safe. :rolleyes:

The Fact is - violence from inside and outside enemies is a reality in American schools. ALL threats should be taken seriously until PROVEN false. To do otherwise is playing a dangerous game w/the safety of children. Children that are LOVED by their family, Children that are necessary to the future of our country, Children that are in danger every day.

Unfortunately we can not protect them every second of everyday- but to ignore a Threat- even if it starts as a rumor- is a danger that will eventually turn deadly.

And to leave parents of these children in the dark in the name of politics is not only irresponsible- it is criminally dangerous in my opinion.

Parents and guardians have a responsibility to do what is in the best interest for their children- they can not make those decisions if they are not given all of the information available.

I'm not asking the school to make drastic decisions based on every "rumor"- but I think they have a responsibility to inform the parent's when any threat is made so that they can work together and decide what is in the best interest of the children.

Furthermore- what does it matter to you if parents in America live in a constant state of fear? If you have that much disdain for our country and it's citizens then just count your lucky stars you don't have to live here and let American parents do as they see fit.

You know, I'm starting to think that Michael Moore's theory that Americans are fearful people is right.

Jeez, you think us "Americans" are the only ones in the world worried about terrorism? :rolleyes:

OK, SAUDI ARABIAN terrorists blew up two buildings. Three years ago.

Right. Thank your lucky stars it wasn't YOUR country that was attacked or you might be a wee bit more worried yourself.

I used to work for our Department of Foreign Affairs. For this reason, to this day, I'm suspicious of any unattended package or bag. I've been sniffed by bomb dogs in my own workplace. I've had to evacuate 'IMMEDIATELY' due to potential threats. I understand what security is. I also understand that if you are frightened of every shadow, you only transmit needless worry to your family.

Here you are contradicting your own words. In the first couple of sentences you say that you're suspicious of any unattended package, then your last sentence you're telling us that we shouldn't be frightened of every shadow. Which is it? Incidently, I wouldn't say that it's needless worry we're transmitting to our families....I call it knowledge......caution even.

Yes, because it was a rumour. Just like the rumours the world will end that people come up with every now and then. Just like any other rumours that are wildly untrue - they aren't worth believing. It's just that you've been terrified to death because of one incident.

Rumors aren't worth believing? COME ON! Do you think we're willing to be caught with our pants down again?

Yes, one incident has us worried, and this incident happened because key people dismissed information widely accepted as rumors.

I ask you, what would you have us do Moi?

Originally posted by Moose

this incident happened because key people dismissed information widely accepted as rumors.

cough:9/11:cough

what does it matter to you if parents in America live in a constant state of fear? If you have that much disdain for our country and it's citizens then just count your lucky stars you don't have to live here and let American parents do as they see fit.

Good question..............one whose true answer would be quite revealing. ;)

But, I can only hypothesize about the motive:

The logical conclusion that;

1. American schools and parents should be PROACTIVE against terrorist threats, real or imagined, would support the argument that,

2. the Bush administration should be proactive against terrorist threats (the "Bush Doctrine").

Of course, any M. Moore fan and Bush-hater would also have to admit being hypocrites if they agreed to #1.

They are quite willing to accept the potential increases in the loss of innocent lives to support their obsessive dogma: Everything Bush has done is wrong.

Moimeme - Are you scared of getting the flu? Do you get a flu shot?

Nope and nope. I had the 'flu shot twice - and both times got the 'flu worse than I ever had. Last year, I got the 'flu but hadn't had a shot and I got over it much quicker.

Do you fear anything?

Not really. Extremism of any form from religious to political scares me. But I don't plan to be scared of every shadow - I'm scared of proven threats.

I'm moving to where you are

Great! :) Love to have ya!

ALL threats should be taken seriously until PROVEN false

Agreed. And it was. A week ago.

And to leave parents of these children in the dark

What 'in the dark'? It was all over the news!!!! As I said, I imagine the school boards expect that parents keep up on the news if they are so concerned about what's going on. And the news is where you'll find out.

Thank your lucky stars it wasn't YOUR country that was attacked or you might be a wee bit more worried yourself.

No, not really. Unless you live in or near an actual political target, like a major economic area or some other important symbol, I don't think it's realistic to be terrified all the time. Remember, I worked in the Department of Foreign Affairs. If I were to be scared all the time, that would have been the place to do it.

Jeez, you think us "Americans" are the only ones in the world worried about terrorism

I'm astonished that people in Israel go about their daily lives, even though they may get blown to smithereens going to work on the bus on any given day. I think people become objective about it and figure if it's their time to go, they'll go and if not, they won't. You can't live in constant fear - that'll kill you faster than terrorists will.

this incident happened because key people dismissed information widely accepted as rumors.

Key people dismissed intelligence that didn't confirm their reasons for taking action. That's all about politics. The intelligence guys were doing their best to warn - and were ignored. They had information, not just rumours. I've heard a couple of them talking about it. They would not have produced that memo warning about Bin Laden if they didn't have what they felt to be sufficient information.

I ask you, what would you have us do Moi?

When a rumour is proven to be false, relax. Don't keep being afraid when it's been well debunked.

If you have that much disdain for our country and it's citizens

I don't. I feel very bad that you're all scared to death and that that's being fed for political gain. It must be awful to live all worried all the time like that. I certainly believe caution is warranted and that security measures need to be in place, but there's a balance, and when a rumour has been shown to be untrue, then I think people should let it go.

That's all I've ever said. I'm NOT saying don't worry when your intelligence guys send you a memo saying Bin Laden Planning An Attack Soon. I'm saying if there is a rumour that some terrorist has school plans and it turns out to be a teacher or doctor or whatever he was who builds schools in third world countries to help people, then it's time to calm down. And keep vigilant - but not frightened - for a REAL threat.