Picking Career in Mid to Late 20's

I have to do basic math in order to do either of those degrees, so I am going to do one year without math and ely the math section to the second year or even third.

I am not able to go right into math without AT LEAST 6 months math tuition.

Lucky, I have found a tutor: my friend who is an engineer. Who will only charge 20 dollars per hour. WAY cheaper than most tutors!

So there ya go people, I will have to re learn the most basic math after all, and then do it for ONE semester total.

It's no big deal, just a on going tutoring for up to a year might be needed.

Believe it or not, I had to take a math class 5 times before passing. Couldn't pass it at community college and ironically I passed it the first try at my University. Anyways, I actually recommend you get the math out of the way as soon as you can. Don't push the hardest subjects towards the end. I wanted to do this, but ended up having to the last dreaded math class my first year at University...passed and it's over with. And now I'm glad I got it done. There should also be plenty of free resources as far as tutors, I would avoid even spending a cent if I were you.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks for the imput.

I am in Australia. You do not need a masters in teaching or social work just to get a job here.

I am leaning móre towards social work actually; the word, in whichever country, needs people to help others deal with crisis. SO many people here are on welfare (centrelink we call it in AUS) and so many families are in crisis situations.

In fact, I would be in a crisis situation, if it were not for my parents really nice flat which they let me reside in; or, my partners lovely huge house, which his father lets us both reside in, rent free.

I live an extremely comfrotable life, more so than MOST professions can afford right now.

Therefore, that pushes me to want to help more people! Seeing as I too, would be on the crisis list for social workers, would it not be for my parents and partners father.

Yeah, so I need maths out of the way ASAP, I am just going to find out what math I need for social work, and then get a tutor for 6 months to one year.

My mate in the US who is bright (but had not done math in ten years due to being a mature ages Uni student) had to do ONE WHOLE YEAR of math tutoring BEFORE EVEN STARTING the social work math.

I may need a year of math tutoring just to pass ONE SEMESTER (6 months) of college level BASIC math.

I am not happy about the math at all - I do not think you need 6 month of math for SOCIAL WORK, but oh well. Whatever.

I will do what it takes in order to get the job I want. 6 months of math at Uni is no big sacrifice.

I may find that after 12 years of no math, that basic math is not that bad.

Who knows.

• 4 weeks later...

Leigh how are you going? Why is it when i started a thread earlier I never got this many detailed answers on here? All I got is you should be grateful for your current job, despite getting screwed over big time. Why didn't anyone answer my questions about what field I should do? (Sorry if ive hijacked a bit).

Have you found out which math you need ?

I think you will find that you won't need a tutor for math, there are alternatives ... but it depends which type it is, and if you have an example.

• Author
Have you found out which math you need ?

I think you will find that you won't need a tutor for math, there are alternatives ... but it depends which type it is, and if you have an example.

Well I got into social work - a 50k job here ultimately, that you walk into if you simply volenteer before your finish your degree.

Not the highest paid job but one I can easily live on and save.

Ill be doing what I WANT, and be able to live off of it. ANd save for travel if I save.

RADU- there are not actual math courses in and of themselves... You know how they list the "courses" within each subject?

We do about 4 courses per semester I think.

Each course makes up 1/4 of our time..

Now, there IS a tiny bit of math WITHIN one course.There were about 12 things within that course though, that we are going to look into in a shallow way.... NOTHING in depth.

You only learn the math you need for social work, no allegbra or stupid crap we do not need.

NORMALLY for math - there is a whole course decidated to math, that you do as an actual couse...

With teaching - math is one of the 4 ot 5 courses you have for each semester.

......I am doing so little math that I will only need my friend, who is an engineer, to help me.

He has kindly offered to help me whenever I need help, he is a VERY nice person, and I have no doubt he will help me on short notice.