Picking Career in Mid to Late 20's

• Author

Menial jobs are no more lowly than degree orientated jobs in my opinion.

I will stop using that term then, if it is condescending in any way, since it is not what I am alluding to at all....

In my mind mind, degree based jobs, on average, get paid more than waitressing jobs and the like; that is the ONLY difference. There is NO difference in the quality of people.

I do not blame people for wanting to work as a waitress, instead of studying their butts off to get the SAME wage....

The fact is: my good friend and I, both good students, believe that getting our degree, based on the research and outcomes of other students.... Will lead to a better paid job than that of a waitress.

We are both pretty lucky people and believe in ourselves in terms of the work we will secure after our degrees.

• Author

I am sick of people assuming I am destined to a life of poverty and 30K a year paychecks for the rest of my life..

Like sheesh, almost every person who gets my degree earns more than 30K a year ultimately!

It is rare that any of them went on to earn the same or similar to minimum wage. Most did better than that.

...In Aus, virtually every person WITH a degree, gets paid more than a person who is a waitress, retail worker, travel agent, or minimum wage jobs.

And your forgetting the fact that if I manage to get through the 3 year degree, I will go for the masters in a field that will ammount to money....

I AM getting the degree for my own personal fullfillment yes, I actually have dreamt about it lately, I have dreamt about going back to Uni. I am very much looking forward to it.

However, I am expecting to eventually get paid more than a minimum wage job. Based on the outcomes of all the other people in AUS who do my degree, and do majors that dictate it.

I am sick of people assuming I am destined to a life of poverty and 30K a year paychecks for the rest of my life..

I doubt that people think that's necessarily the case and that most will be very supportive once you start working towards your goal.

• Author

Well, my good friend who is doing the exact same degree, and will do the same masters, has had industry people TELL her the likely outcome of her studies and subsequent job offers and the sallaries she should expect....

She has no doubt she will get a job that pays above minumum wage after her degree, and has had several sources IN the industries she is aspiring to get into, TELL her that based on her degree, she will earn WELL ABOVE the poverty line..........

In terms of working towards my goals, I AM taking ALL the necessary steps. Therapy, enrolling in Uni, trying to keep fit and healthy in order to have a healthy functioning body and mind.

I have done all I CAN DO right now.

So you cannot not really crittique my efforts yet, until I prove that I am too stupid or not motivated enough and drop out. Which I cannot see ever happening, since I am 25, and DESPERATE to work towards a propper career at last.

I will also enroll in the essay writing courses and basic bridging courses before I commence study, such as the "study planning bridging course".

I will probably be fine without anally preparing, however I am going to do literally everything in my power to help me pass.

Why not be a positive person, more like me, and be like " well done Leigh, good luck in your studies, if you work hard you will get he degree like every one else does"

I am very tired of you assuming the worst out of me, you have a very defeatest and pessimistic attitude.

What's more: my parents, who know me better than anyone else, also can see that I am serious about wanting to have a life for myself, and they KNOW I am severely unhappy with NOT working towards my future.

Like I said - this is my BEST option.

I would know, as I have literally TRIED the other options I was going to consider, and KNOW the non degree options are not as rewarding financially and otherwise as getting the degree at last.

I will be delighted if I can get a part time job and study full time. That is literally my dream right now, as simple as it sounds.

And of course, ONE overseas adventure during the 4 years of study. Which I have calculated is possible if I save for only one year.

• Author

I want to add, that I am EXTREMELY excited about being a full time student, with part time work.

Honestly - my dream, all I WANT in life right now, is to study full time, and work part time.

I willl work hard, but have a lovely flat or mansion (I live at Andrews mansion mostly) to come home to, without worrying about bills or where my next meal is coming from.

I will have to buy the cheapest of the cheap products but who cares? I get a nice house and am free from poverty.

So I am in a very privileged position, and I am very, very greatfull. I will work hard all day most days, then go home to a lovely home, go for a run and work, then go back to a lovely place to sleep, without worrying about bills or wheather I will be able to eat the next day.

Some nights all I will have to do is study all day, go for a run, then go to bed and watch documentaries with my dogs and partner for a couple of hours. As I only plan on working part time.......

I am 29 years old and working on my second degree to change careers.

I graduated college with a degree that really didn't work for me (I went to college younger than most and had no idea what I wanted to do) and went to work as a graphic & web designer. Although I'd always been interested in computers, I never thought of it as a viable career path. However, during the first couple of years of work as a graphic designer, my focus began to shift heavily towards IT infrastructure.

Eventually I moved to the US and in order to survive, I became a freelance web designer. I hated it even more, but I knew I wouldn't be able to get out of it without a solid plan. So I went back to school and I'm now working on a second degree in IT (System Administration). That was five years ago, and I'm about to graduate.

Frankly, I don't understand why all this fuss about working part time, or full time, or to take 3 subjects instead of 4. When I started out, I was working 20-30 hours per week (freelance work) and taking 5 courses. I had plenty of free time on my hands.

Now, I work full time, 45-hours/week. I also take 4 college courses in a Science degree (read: challenging curriculum!) and I still manage to have a social life. This year alone, I've gone on a cruise, an international trip to visit my family in Europe and countless weekend roadtrips/getaways. I also have a fulfilling relationship with a man who, coincidentally, does exactly the same thing (so he's stupidly busy as well).

My point? You don't have to choose. You can do it all. It's not for the faint of heart, and it takes an extreme amount of willpower and mental fortitude, but you CAN do it.

The question is, do you want it bad enough to put in the effort it takes?

Good luck!

-A

• Like 1
I am 29 years old and working on my second degree to change careers.

I graduated college with a degree that really didn't work for me (I went to college younger than most and had no idea what I wanted to do) and went to work as a graphic & web designer. Although I'd always been interested in computers, I never thought of it as a viable career path. However, during the first couple of years of work as a graphic designer, my focus began to shift heavily towards IT infrastructure.

Eventually I moved to the US and in order to survive, I became a freelance web designer. I hated it even more, but I knew I wouldn't be able to get out of it without a solid plan. So I went back to school and I'm now working on a second degree in IT (System Administration). That was five years ago, and I'm about to graduate.

Frankly, I don't understand why all this fuss about working part time, or full time, or to take 3 subjects instead of 4. When I started out, I was working 20-30 hours per week (freelance work) and taking 5 courses. I had plenty of free time on my hands.

Now, I work full time, 45-hours/week. I also take 4 college courses in a Science degree (read: challenging curriculum!) and I still manage to have a social life. This year alone, I've gone on a cruise, an international trip to visit my family in Europe and countless weekend roadtrips/getaways. I also have a fulfilling relationship with a man who, coincidentally, does exactly the same thing (so he's stupidly busy as well).

My point? You don't have to choose. You can do it all. It's not for the faint of heart, and it takes an extreme amount of willpower and mental fortitude, but you CAN do it.

The question is, do you want it bad enough to put in the effort it takes?

Good luck!

-A

Not everyone operates that way, I worked 60 hours a week and went to school full time and had NO social life and there was no time for it.

Work from 3-12pm, go home and do homework until 3am, sleep till 7 and go to school. Get out at 2 and go back to work, tell me how much time there is for social activities then.

Also, not everyone can do it anyway. My homework and tests suffered because I rarely got enough sleep.

There's a real problem in this day and age with people thinking "I can do it, so everyone can" and it tends to irk me. Some people could build a house in a day too, most people couldn't.

Not everyone operates that way, I worked 60 hours a week and went to school full time and had NO social life and there was no time for it.

Work from 3-12pm, go home and do homework until 3am, sleep till 7 and go to school. Get out at 2 and go back to work, tell me how much time there is for social activities then.

Also, not everyone can do it anyway. My homework and tests suffered because I rarely got enough sleep.

There's a real problem in this day and age with people thinking "I can do it, so everyone can" and it tends to irk me. Some people could build a house in a day too, most people couldn't.

I am assuming you mean until 12am, not 12pm, because DAMN, 13 hours of homework?! I definitely agree with this. People would tell us to work several jobs and it really isn't for everyone, some people can handle it and some cannot.

• Like 1

[snip]

I work 45, not 60. If I worked 60 I couldn't do it either. Those 15 hours extra hours you mentioned are where I fit my homework and my social activities. Not entirely sure why you got defensive here.

I rarely get more than 6 hours of sleep, and yes, it sucks being constantly on the go and having little to no time to slow down, but it is doable if you want it bad enough.

When it comes down to it, it's about priorities. Do you want to sleep more and have time to do more fun things? Or do you want to have money to pay the rent? I don't have the luxury of being able to live at my parent's house, so this is what I have to do to get my goals accomplished.

Nothing wrong with having help from family, but if you absolutely HAD to do this or else you'd be living in the streets, you'd find a way to.

Hence what I said to the OP... how bad do you want it? It's all about what you're willing to sacrifice to do it.

-A

• Author

Arrabella - I have a lot of respect for people who study and work full time.

Here is my plan, I;d appreciate you taking the time to read it, and giving my your feedback.

I PLAN on working pretty much full time eventually, but based on my predicament (mentally and in terms of my recent study experience), I do not think full time study AND work is the best option for me at THIS stage....

My situation is: I have gone from doing NOTHING: I think Going from NOTHING to full time work and study, when my mental health is not on par, is not going to be the BEST option for me.

Although my GOAL is to work my way into working MORE, whilst studying full time.

Ideally, I would like to start with about 30 hours work per week, as a waitress, because it gets fitness in, and I will not have to run as long for fitness/cardio (I need to start thinking in terms of what is time efficient!)

Put it this way: when I get a waitressing job, I am going to give them my Uni hours, and tell them to call me in as much as possible. There is not much full time waitressing work out there, until you establish yourself and they need quality staff.

I would say that I would get about 30 hours a week, to begin with, in a waitressing or retail based position. THAT is my goal to START with.

My mother works to support my ailing father, who has been dying of very bad heart disease. He is obviously too ill to work.....

Therefore, of course I want to be able to support myself entirely. I aim to work as much as I can handle; even part time work ( 25hours a week) in addition to the AUS STUDY allowance (200 dollars per week), would be enough to fully support myself, and even contribute a little towards rent.

Mum OWNS the flat, therefore I would only need about 50 dollars a week for utilities, given I do not leave lights on and I am pretty good with the air conditioning. My ownly guilty pleasure is having long showers....

Moreover, I do not really live at the flat often; I mostly live with ANDREW: the Uni is very close to his house, so I will be living there mostly.

His father does not get me to pay rent, he is rich and as long as I buy dinner and wine once a week and keep the place clean, I do not have to pay rent there.

• Author

These are my hopes and dreams, in terms of what "social life" and "spare time" I hope to enjoy during the following years, when I am working hard towards a future...

- study all day but have some evenings off to watch documentaries with Andrew and the dogs for hald hour - an hour. Two nights a week doing this would be ideal, but I would be happy with one.

- go for a run at night 5 nights a week, for 30 mins, and do some ab work and lunges and toning work 3 days a week for only 20 minutes.

- Study on weekends, but take the textbooks with me to the beach with us, and get to read the text on the beach, rather than inside. Have a short break to go for a swim or sunbake/nap/read a mag (not that I would feel like doing more reading...)

Essentially, I will study all day whenever I am not working, have one or two evenings off to relax, and study a little less on weekends, and go for a long walk or two on the beach weekends.

I am NOT doing a demanding degree: it involves a prescribed amount of reading we are set every week, and there are only 3 exams in like 2 years. It is ALL essay writing and reading.

My good friend is doing the same degree and is going to do her masters in the SAME thing I plan to do....

She says she gets time to have a life, that it is stress full at times, but NOT life consuming

• Author

Here are some strategies to save cash, and buy time. Please tell me what you think:

- I do not have to work out long hours to be thin; I can achieve a pretty good body without heaps of exercise.

Whats more, I will be living with Andrew mostly, and will walk to and from Uni to save petrol, and therefore only have to do 20 minutes additional running (4 days a week) given I will be walking most days.

- I do not live at home often enough to warrant paying my parents heaps for utitilies: 50 dollars per week is pretty much the most I would even use at home.

- I have already learnt to buy the CHEAPEST food brands, literally the cheapest you can get, and still make tasty and healthy meals. You save A LOT of money buying no brand names.

- I will make meals days in advance and put them in plastic/cheap lunch boxes so can eat healthily/ save time in prparing food daily.

- I will live mostly at Andrews on Uni days, and will walk to and from Uni (which will be most of my cardio for the day, meaning I only have to go for a short, 20 min power run): therefore, saving a LOT of petrol money

Living expenses and the ability to save for overseas travel

Living on the cheapest food, walking to and from uni to barly use my car, not going out and partying often, and not paying much towards my living, will enable me to even save for a short overseas trip each year.

I get 200 AUD from the government per week as a student, plus working 30 hours for about 19 dollars per hour would yield 570 dollars per week.

I can live comfortably off 200 dollars per week, although I will only end up saving 100 per week, due to my lifestyle expenses:

- every 2 months I would need to spend 30 dollars on mineral powder ( the ONLY make up I use besides mascara).

-19 dollars every 2 months on mascara

- I also wax my eyebrows every 2 weeks, which costs 17 dollars.

- TWICE a year, I spend about 400 on hair extensions, because 50% of my hair is still missing after my anorexia, and therefore my hair is VERY thin like that of a 5 year old child, and I feel better with my old hair.

I have very strong facial features, which look unattractive with baby fine hair. I feel 100% more feminine when I balance out my long, crooked nose, with thicker hair.

Even with the mascara, mineral powder, once every two week eyebrow waxing, AND hair extensions twice a year, I will be able to save every week.

Even saving 100 dollars every week, will allow me to travel overseas every year, for the 2 months we have off at he end of Uni.

I think you should just make worst-case-scenario plans (your top section) and then go for it. Start your course, keep applying for jobs in the meantime. You're stuck in a rut of overanalysing here, Leigh. You've probably posted 10,000 words (that's a whole thesis, y'know? ;)) about what you plan to do, but how much of it have you actually done? Have you enrolled for the first university semester of 2013?

I personally don't think you NEED to be able to work and study full-time as an Australian citizen, and especially not one whose parents are paying her rent. I could live easily on what your government is giving you alone, not to mention the additional rent that you get from your parents. Just focus on school and keep applying for part time jobs, but for the love of God start your degree already. :)

• Like 2

I always liked many subjects, so it was hard as hell to decide. I'm just 24 years old, so maybe not such a long way to decide, but for me it was a very different story.

I already had picked my path to be along the lines of trading, but it took me around 2 years at university to realize that I had enough theory. Then I took my knowledge to practical use and until now, I had no regrets about it. Before that, I had a few part time jobs. All kinds of part time jobs ... I even worked at a graveyard, which helped me a lot to finance my car. :lmao:

Well, I hope a different kind of story could be nice as well. It sure isn't wrong to take some time to decide what to do. As well, it is nothing unusual to change the career to a different direction, even at later years. I guess passions and interests may change over time.

• Author
I think you should just make worst-case-scenario plans (your top section) and then go for it. Start your course, keep applying for jobs in the meantime. You're stuck in a rut of overanalysing here, Leigh. You've probably posted 10,000 words (that's a whole thesis, y'know? ;)) about what you plan to do, but how much of it have you actually done? Have you enrolled for the first university semester of 2013?

I personally don't think you NEED to be able to work and study full-time as an Australian citizen, and especially not one whose parents are paying her rent. I could live easily on what your government is giving you alone, not to mention the additional rent that you get from your parents. Just focus on school and keep applying for part time jobs, but for the love of God start your degree already. :)

I have good news: I just completed the onliny training for the Subway job. I will go in to start work there soon... It is a few minute walk from my flat too.

I gave the manager the wrong email address (my bad handwriting), so I rang up, and there is still a job going for me.

In regards to my life plan, I am due to start next year, early Feb.

My best female friend is doing it, and she assures me that I can handle it; it is not a life consuming degree, but often leads to jobs; with a masters, there are many well paid jobs to be had, too.

I do not HAVE to work full time, so I won't....But I DO want to work about 30 hours as week.

Working that often, I can look after myself, and not rely on my parents; sure, I get to live in their flat, but I could pay my parents for all the electricity and gas I use, pay for my own petrol, and look after myself, with enough money for one shortish overseas holiday every YEAR of my degree.

So, it will feel great just not asking my parents for any money (not that I really do often as it is).

• Like 1

Happy for you, Leigh! Glad you've gotten started on the path to your future. It's never easy, and I always get omfgworried about mine too, but we can't let ourselves get stuck by analysis paralysis. Good luck. :)

Leigh I envy you. I've posted similar dilemma about not being sure career wise and didn't get anywhere near this much pages/ answers.

• Author

Sugarkane, what is up with your career, I did not look at your thread?

I will have a look when I get to a good computer (this one barly works, I only come on here briefely to check my own threads, and the comp often dies so I try to be quick with that!)

At least you HAVE a job!

I can forsee a great lifestyle for myself, even as a student who works (I will get time to enjoy life, work out, spend time with dogs and boyfriend, and save for overseas trips)

However, you HAVE the job, so your doing better than me in terms of career!

Lets hope things work out for the both of us!

Hi Leigh, don't know if you got my message. Just trying to figure out what to do. Typical problem of having too many options. I applied through VTAC here for uni but got screwed over. And missed out. I tried phoning VTAC and have left them an email.

• Author
Hi Leigh, don't know if you got my message. Just trying to figure out what to do. Typical problem of having too many options. I applied through VTAC here for uni but got screwed over. And missed out. I tried phoning VTAC and have left them an email.

I am in a diff state to you; we apply through UAC, the website. It is a quick and easy process.

What options are you considereing? I considered first: food science or exercise science, dietetics (hardest to get into), social science (sociology) or teaching.

This was my thought process that determined what I wanted to spend the next few years studying:

I just weighed up my options. I want to work part time in order to travel once a year overseas; which is possible since I do not pay rent and am great at saving when I try.

Therefore, I do not want to do the most difficult degree I CAN do, because my life would be utterly miserable. I want to make a committment and consistently work hard, but I do not want a degree that will make me miserable and consume all my free time. I only ask for meal breaks, and half hour 5 days a week to work out, plus about 20 hrs a week to work part time.

And a walk on the beach on the weekend would be nice, just one of the days. I will still study every day, but would like the rare hangover day where I can have the entire day off studying; just once every two months or so.

I sought out a degree that has many options (depending on your major) and plenty of jobs to be had: that is easy to find work with, that will just pay the bills.

I wanted a degree where I just had to do reading, and then write essays.

That was stressfull, but allowed me to enjoy life, and did nto fill me with dread.

I am of average intelligence in most areas, therefore a super hard degree would just make me miserable, and is not worth it to me.

I am sure you can think of how you want to live your life, what your considered to give up/how hard your prepared to work, among other determining factors.

I did not want to have to spend all my waking horus memorizing complez theories and applying them to math and sciences based problems all day every day.

Leigh.....are you sure you "can't" do certain things? Just as an example, when I was in university almost 20 years ago, I never thought I would be able to do accounting, because there's some math involved. When I actually had to do it for a program I was in, accounting came naturally to me. I am studying social work now, and I get pretty much all A's in that, but if I were to study what I was really good at academically, I would be studying business and accounting, but I have no interest in it. Social work is a bit more challenging to me academically and otherwise, but I had gone for years thinking accounting was something I couldn't do, but it came really easy for me. Also, I had never thought I'd be "any good" at research, but I had to do a research course for my social work program this past semester. I still don't know how I did overall b/c grades are not out yet, but before I wrote my last paper my average was 93%. So I did much better in a class than I thought I would, that I didn't think I would be any good at, but my prof suggested I continue my research project for later publication. :) (I'm just proud of that. I never had much confidence in myself academically and I took a long time in life to figure out what I wanted to do. Probably why I am drawn to this thread).

How long has it been since you've done math? I failed math in high school, but did a little better in university. If I tried it now, I don't know if I'd ace it, but I think I'd pass it. How you did academically in the past does not mean you "can't" do it now. I flunked out of university years ago...but I am now getting mosty A's, have been on the Dean's List, and am applying for grad school for next September. I am also looking into Law, which is very demanding academically. As another example, one of my sociology instructors used to say that she was a 'mediocre' student in high school, but did really well in university and went on to get her master's in sociology (she gave us tests too, so it's not necessarily all essays in sociology!). My point is, you might think you "can't" do something, but later on, you might "get" it.

Edited by Nanuk

Leigh, I said this before, but I'll say it again:

Choose your degree primarily based on what your options after it are, not what the degree itself involves (time needed for it, type of study required). Do what you need to do to get the sort of WORK you want. I know you mentioned it in your list, but there is something like 9 reasons for your choice based on your quality of life while doing your degree, and 1 reason based on your work options after. It should be the other way around.

• Author

Nanuk - I never once applied myself during high school; I did not once try hard at any subject. Despite the fact that I could have been a very good student had I actually tried. I had to many issues and no motivation to give a damn about anything when I was in high school.

Hence why I did a once year course before I enrolled in Uni; I dropped out of high school, an d needed that extra year to GET into Uni at all.

I have done science for one year of my adult life; BASIC science. With no math, pretty much.

I do not have even high school level math behind me. For me to pass even the most basic math course at a university level, I would need at least ONE YEARS tuition in math before I even were to START the degree.

However, because there are also a lot of degrees that DO NOT involve math, degrees I happen to fancy, I see no reason to do math; what's more, I cannot afford the tutoring needed for the math (and no it is NOT free, or skin to the essay structuring classes you get for free as part of the "extra help" novelties)

If I was hell bent on becoming a nutitionist or getting a bachelor of science degree, I would absolutely do what it took in order to attain it (which would mean: finding a job to afford math tuition for one year before starting the degree)

The important thing is, I am not that drawn to any one degree or job ,.to the extent that I am willing to suffer a lot to get it; you know, I am only willing to handle the usual stressors of studying.. tackling math when I have NO background in it, seeing as I neve ronce paid attention in high school, would be a HUGE feet to conquer.

Right now, I listed as my options: 1. social sciences, 2. primary school teaching, and 3. bachelor of social work.

Primary school teaching would only involve basic level math, which I would postpone, as I cannot afford the tuition I need in order to pass the most basic math.

I would be happy to start as a social worker (which can be attained through social sicences AND obviosuly the bach of social work..)

I will be pushing to do my masters in something like HR management; I believe business needs a friendly touch, from a person like myself...

• Author
Leigh, I said this before, but I'll say it again:

Choose your degree primarily based on what your options after it are, not what the degree itself involves (time needed for it, type of study required). Do what you need to do to get the sort of WORK you want. I know you mentioned it in your list, but there is something like 9 reasons for your choice based on your quality of life while doing your degree, and 1 reason based on your work options after. It should be the other way around.

As I said above, I am not that desperate to get a degree that involves math in it. I equally want to be a social worker, or in HR management (neither involve math)

I do not have a handle on the most basic math, due to not paying any attention in hish school, then dropping out, and only enrolling back to do a quick year of basic science and linguistics.

Doing a degree with math in it would involve a year or more of math tuition before I started a degree, and I would need a job in order to afford the tuition (and I cannot even find a basic cleaning job ANYWHERE)

And of course I consider the quality of life! I am not pushing myself to do the hardest degree I CAN do, just to get a better paying job; four years of intense minsery is not WORTH the flipping degree!

INstead, I just want a professional job, which I work hard for, but do not have to cry daily about. SOmething like social sciences, teaching, or social work would be hard yet not life consuming.

So how's your Christmas job that you said you'd be working at now going? Did that happen? If so, what is the work? What is your workday like, and how are you doing at dealing with your responsibilities there? If it didn't happen - why?