Picking Career in Mid to Late 20's

• Author
Then do so!!! I am sure there are openings for cleaners in Aussie, mainly because unemployment isn't as high there as in some other countries, and even unemployed people don't want to do the dirty work. What is stopping you?

Leigh, to some people, an education is a privilege. It is something that they yearn for. Sure, there are the hard times, the times that you feel bogged down, but if you're approaching tertiary studies in the way you currently are BEFORE YOU HAVE EVEN STARTED THEM, you are just dooming yourself to failure. It's pointless. Save the money, save the spot for the people who want it, and go do a full-time job and then travel!

You should be excited about your studies at least before you begin them! If you aren't, don't do it. Go get the travel bug out of your system first.

I cannot GET full time work. Literally.

I deferred my degree to do just what you suggested: I stopped studying so I could WORK full time, in order to travel for a few years, before resuming study.

Unfortunately, no one will employ me, therefore I am forced into my degree with NO prospect of travel or any sort of fun.

I WANT to study, I am so looking forward to it, but I AM NOT looking forward to doing it without part time work.

At this rate, I will not get a part time job during the THREE years I study for.

Sorry, but I have travelled since I was young, and I LOVE music festivals.

As greatful as I am to be alive, healthy, and to be able to study, Life WILL be a little dull with NO job.

I am very excited about my studie

• Author

*sigh* every one around me says " you will get a job eventually"

Studying to me is not drudgery at all, it is not having part time work that depresseses me.

I do not want to study with NO hope of having a holiday, going to a music festival, or being able to ever buy a new handbag.

I want DESPERATELY to work, so I can afford travel throughout my studies.

I am going to start looking at cleaning jobs.

I actually LOVE any opportunity to keep fit, so a cleaning job would be ideal to just save for a year to travel.

I would really like to study part time, whilst working full time as a cleaner for a year.

I cannot GET full time work. Literally.

I deferred my degree to do just what you suggested: I stopped studying so I could WORK full time, in order to travel for a few years, before resuming study.

Unfortunately, no one will employ me, therefore I am forced into my degree with NO prospect of travel or any sort of fun.

I WANT to study, I am so looking forward to it, but I AM NOT looking forward to doing it without part time work.

At this rate, I will not get a part time job during the THREE years I study for.

Sorry, but I have travelled since I was young, and I LOVE music festivals.

As greatful as I am to be alive, healthy, and to be able to study, Life WILL be a little dull with NO job.

I am very excited about my studie

Wait, Leigh. Are you saying you applied for several cleaner positions but were turned down? I don't mean any offense, but I find it difficult to believe that. Cleaner positions, along with factory lines and farm work, are the default positions for even immigrants on temp work visas to get, because they are the only ones that nobody ever seems to want to fill. If an immigrant on a temp visa can get them I really don't see how you, a citizen with no physical disability, would not.

Edit: Oh, just read your last post. Yes, you absolutely should apply. Those are one of the few types of positions that anyone who wants them is fairly likely to get. I will be very surprised if you apply and are turned down.

Edited by Elswyth
  • Author

I have not applied for cleaner positions, but I have applied for even the filthiest of food server positions, and despite having ten years food and beverage experience, my resume often did not even get me an interview.

I regularly walk into retail stores with terrible staff; no personality, not a joy to talk to, SLOW at service, and yet I get passed by, when I am great with people ( according to every one I have encountered in my personal life, and all of my parents friends have always lamented at hpw absurd it is that I cannot get a job in customer service)

Leigh, I would try and get feedback to find out why, with your background, you can't get a position in the food industry. What is your experience in food? Is it relating to the positions you are applying to now?

Just a FYI, all subways are franchisee owned, and the majority are single owner, so you can find another one and apply there as well. Is your background fast casual, quick service, fine dining, . . . ? Have you been in management?

I would take this information and keep applying. If you don't get hired ask the hiring manager if they can tell you why and if they have any suggestions for you for future hiring? See if they will give you feedback on what prevented you from getting the position. It may be as simple as your times available. If they are doing behavioral assessments see if you can practice any of them with local recruiters. That way you will see what they are saying. That is another idea, link up with some recruiters, there are many in the food industry, and see if they can help you find a position (especially if you have management experience). You can look at other fields as well that are looking for part time help, receptionist, pet care, etc.

There are a lot of opportunities out there, it is just about how to sell yourself correctly and effectively.

Oh and to answer you question, up until my late 20's I was really just working jobs, not focusing on a career. I had horses, and was competing, and so was working jobs around that requirement. I got out of the office workforce and went into the horse world, running a boarding facility and managing someone's property. I was also doing other side work, helping with an equine geared publication and some data entry. Just a lot of stuff going on and LOVING it.

I had to get back into the office workforce and landed in HR. I had done some payroll in the past and some rudimentary HR. I found I had a good background for HR and really liked it. That built on itself, lots of networking over the past decade or so and ended up moving to a company that was just getting started, and became a very successful and fast growing company. I got the opportunity to build my department and has turned it into a very satisfying and successful career. I have been able to grow into an executive position.

Some of it was luck and a lot of it was hard work, long hours, and sweat. In college I was pre-law and actually took my LSATs and applied to schools. I decided not to go but have always had an interest in the law. HR gives me that without the law degree.

Find what you love to do and make a career out of that. :D

• Like 1

OP, I specifically choose to do online classes so my work availability would be much more open and not as restrictive as when I did go to campus for classes.

• Author
OP, I specifically choose to do online classes so my work availability would be much more open and not as restrictive as when I did go to campus for classes.

Hi there,

I am thinking about doing onling courses, and instead of full time study, I am looking at doing 3 subjects instead of 4; I NEED the work badly.

I need to work and start saving. I do not want to totally put that secondary to my studies.

Luckily Uni is very flexible, and allows you to do part time one semester, and than switch it up to full time, 4 subjects, the very next semester.

If I get a full time job BEFORE Uni starts, I wuill only do Uni part time on the side, and pick two online classes.

• Author
Leigh, I would try and get feedback to find out why, with your background, you can't get a position in the food industry. What is your experience in food? Is it relating to the positions you are applying to now?

Just a FYI, all subways are franchisee owned, and the majority are single owner, so you can find another one and apply there as well. Is your background fast casual, quick service, fine dining, . . . ? Have you been in management?

I would take this information and keep applying. If you don't get hired ask the hiring manager if they can tell you why and if they have any suggestions for you for future hiring? See if they will give you feedback on what prevented you from getting the position. It may be as simple as your times available. If they are doing behavioral assessments see if you can practice any of them with local recruiters. That way you will see what they are saying. That is another idea, link up with some recruiters, there are many in the food industry, and see if they can help you find a position (especially if you have management experience). You can look at other fields as well that are looking for part time help, receptionist, pet care, etc.

There are a lot of opportunities out there, it is just about how to sell yourself correctly and effectively.

Hey there,

I have thought about asking people feedback as to why they did not hire me, it sounds very logical and beneficial..

To be honest though, I get in moods where I KNOW I am great at interviews and with people i general; and then there are times I am too much in my own head space and suffer from personal issues that cloud my view on how to act optimally for interviews.

I pretty much know when I do a good job. I am the type who can be absoluterly fantastic,a nd extremely likable and the picture of what a person in the customer service industry should be like.

I can either be great, or I bomb out a little. And even the times I do an okay job, I am not always successfull, but at least I know I did not totally suck..

My downfall is: if my flat is a mess and my life is kaos, I find it hard to rpesent myself well if my flat is in a filthy state.

I need to have clean, ironed and washed clothes, and look and feel well presented and professional looking; no last minute smabering around for interview clothes, etc...

dthompson0786

I didn't figure my career out until I got to my current hotel. The first year in the hospitality industry was rather boring (I worked at a small hotel). But the way everyone stopped to say hi to me as I waited to take my interview at my current hotel made me fall in love with the place. The face that no two days are the same is also an adventure. I did go to school for hotel management for a few months but it cut into time with the family. I do plan on taking the courses online and finishing my degree, just need to either get another promotion, or win employee of the year!! :laugh:

• Like 1
I didn't figure my career out until I got to my current hotel. The first year in the hospitality industry was rather boring (I worked at a small hotel). But the way everyone stopped to say hi to me as I waited to take my interview at my current hotel made me fall in love with the place. The face that no two days are the same is also an adventure. I did go to school for hotel management for a few months but it cut into time with the family. I do plan on taking the courses online and finishing my degree, just need to either get another promotion, or win employee of the year!! :laugh:

I need a moment where I just find a career somewhere, but I'm not sure it'll ever happen. I have things that interest me, but not in terms of jobs.

• Author

Hmmmm well, ideally I would perfer to lay on the beach all day most days, and have unlimited money that I would use to help others for "work"

Lol if I could PICK, I would have lots of money, and use my time interacting with various people all day, putting plans into action in terms of helpin charities...

Lol I love being around people and working with them, and would do it even if I had unlimited funds......

REALITY: I am strongly leaning towards studying a social science degree, I have researched and there are a lot of options; HR is one decentl paid job, and a major in the degree, for instance...

I would very much like to get into personal training AND finish my degree, so I can have my day job, and work as a trainer on the side.

For now, I am just finding ANY work.

I had a phone in interview with a good Australian company, and got through, and have a group interview with 9 other people tomorrow...

There are two jobs going, so 2 out of 10 of us will be successfull.. fingers crossed!!!!

I am also going to follow up to other potential jobs today.

Wish me luck! I would really like a menial job throughout Uni, whenever I do go back.

Hey there,

I have thought about asking people feedback as to why they did not hire me, it sounds very logical and beneficial..

To be honest though, I get in moods where I KNOW I am great at interviews and with people i general; and then there are times I am too much in my own head space and suffer from personal issues that cloud my view on how to act optimally for interviews.

I pretty much know when I do a good job. I am the type who can be absoluterly fantastic,a nd extremely likable and the picture of what a person in the customer service industry should be like.

I can either be great, or I bomb out a little. And even the times I do an okay job, I am not always successfull, but at least I know I did not totally suck..

My downfall is: if my flat is a mess and my life is kaos, I find it hard to rpesent myself well if my flat is in a filthy state.

I need to have clean, ironed and washed clothes, and look and feel well presented and professional looking; no last minute smabering around for interview clothes, etc...

You need to learn how to separate personal from work. How your personal life is running, bad break up, messy apartment, etc should have nothing to do with how you interview. Interviewing is a skill, practice it. The purpose of an interview is really to narrow down why an employer doesn't want to hire someone. So you want to work on your answers as well as having specific questions to ask the employer. Why do you want to join them? There are some standard questions, in varying forms, asked. Where do you see yourself in five years? Why do you want to join our company/team? What are your strengths and what are your areas of opportunity? Tell me about a time that a situation didn't work out how you planned, what happened and what will you change, or did you change, when it happened again? Etc.

Know what the employer is looking for and why they are asking the questions that they ask. Know why you want to join that company. This is ESPECIALLY true in the food/hospitality/entertainment companies. Any company that is selling something, you really have to show why you are behind it. Go to their location, try their product, speak about what you like on it. Speak about the research you did into the company and why specifically they are a good fit for you. Interviewing is like dating and company doesn't want to see you as the equivalent of the guy who blast messages every chick on Match.com with the same "hey baby, want a good time" message.

Eternal Sunshine

Leigh,

From everything I have read from you, I think you should pick a social science degree.

Science or hard science is a natural talent. It's not even a matter of intelligence. You just go along with what your natural talents are to make your life easier and more enjoyable.

I always breezed through maths/hard sciences with zero effort. I was really bad at memorizing things and working with people drained me so it was a no brainier what to do.

I am lazy so I went with a path of least resistance.

Also, I don't see what state of your apartment has to do with an interview? Unless they are interviewing you at your apartment which I doubt. If it bothers you that much, just take a day off your job search and clean it!

If you were in Melbourne, I could get you a cleaning part time job at my university but I don't think you are.

• Like 1
dthompson0786
I need a moment where I just find a career somewhere, but I'm not sure it'll ever happen. I have things that interest me, but not in terms of jobs.

My opinion would be to go on craigslist and look up the part time work, sometimes you just fall into a career by chance. My cousin and I were walking around a mall here in Syracuse after she first moved up here. We walked into a store that sells scrubs for doctors and nurses. While talking to the manager she stopped a shoplifter from stealing $60 worth of clothes! The manager hired her on the spot and 6 years and a lot of hard work later she is the manager of a top 20 store in country! (The company owns about 300 stores in the U.S.). Sometimes it just happens, but you've got to keep your eyes open. Plus if all else fails try applying at a hotel, they never hire entry level people that have experience because it's too hard to unlearn habits from another hotel. What area are you in?

• Author
Leigh,

From everything I have read from you, I think you should pick a social science degree.

Science or hard science is a natural talent. It's not even a matter of intelligence. You just go along with what your natural talents are to make your life easier and more enjoyable.

I always breezed through maths/hard sciences with zero effort. I was really bad at memorizing things and working with people drained me so it was a no brainier what to do.

I am lazy so I went with a path of least resistance.

Also, I don't see what state of your apartment has to do with an interview? Unless they are interviewing you at your apartment which I doubt. If it bothers you that much, just take a day off your job search and clean it!

If you were in Melbourne, I could get you a cleaning part time job at my university but I don't think you are.

I agree; my best friend and my mum, who know where my natural abilities lie, have told me to do social sciences.

After all - you earn a living by it, it is not hard to get a job out of the degree, and you CAN earn a lot if you pursue an HR major, OR do a masters in something that correlates to a higher paying job.

At least I would enjoy the process of being student. Where as I would DREAD math and hard science and things that go BEYOng simply reading and memorizing things!

Thanks a lot for your post, too: I know your a high achiever, I thought you would feel so sorry for someone like me, not having made a career for myself at my age, that you would not bother responging (thinking I was a lost cause LOL)

Seriously though, I am ready to go to college and forge a propper career for myself.

I guess we cannot all be laywers or have PHD's. Honestly, if I had gone to college/Uni right after high school, I probably could have managed a harder degree; however, in my mid 20s, I really find it a struggle to think about going BACK to math (as I have not DONE math for about 15 years!)

I did well in school when I applied myself, and always thought I would get a "good job".

It is comforting to know that my lack of... apptitude towards math or hard sciences is not due to my lack of intelligence.

I always enjoy reading a lot when it comes to studying, as this is the path of least resistance for me.

I was never BAD at math or science, but I guess the only science related topic I LOVE was biomedical science, because it was ALL MEMORY (more or less, with a TINY bit of very basic chem)

• Like 1
  • Author

I am thinking about going back to college mid next year, after I have been working menial jobs and seen a therapist for a few more months.

I might even get into personal training again and have a nice alternate career I can pursue throughout my studies.

I am definately ready to study again, because I 100% know there are no better options career wise for me, that would fullfill me as much as a degree driven career.

Although, I MIGHT have an interview, for a job as a case manager for people who are unemployed. LOL. Ironic much?

But it is a reliable 9 - 5 job, that is all about helping people.

I am starting work now in my retail job. I get to talk to people all day. Something I enjoy haha.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm 24 and should graduate college when I'm 25. Still trying to figure out what I want to do. Im studying in the psychology/sociology field, and I was wondering what kind of social worker is making 70,000?

I'm 24 and should graduate college when I'm 25. Still trying to figure out what I want to do. Im studying in the psychology/sociology field, and I was wondering what kind of social worker is making 70,000?

Google "social workers salaries" and you will see that the salary ranges from $32k to $83k. Those in the higher salary range tend to have multiple degrees and specialties involving substance or child abuse.

• Author

I am not aiming for social work at this stage. I have found an alternative that leads to better pay, with no or minimal math (6 months tops of the dumbarse, basic math course)

I have researched a lot, and been told by industry career experts that a Social Sciences Degree can lead to very well paid jobs, if you get a masters in something.

That is only 4 years of study all up, including the masters.

What's more, I am doing a social sciences degree: not a degree of social work.

I mentioned social work, but instead of doing the Bachelor of Social Work, I enrolled instead in a Bachelor of Social Sciences.

If you do the Bachelor of Social Sciences, then do a masters in Human Resource Management, you will walk in to a 100K job.

Furthermore, there are many masters which last for one year, AFTER the social sciences degree, that lead to jobs that are far better paid than social work.

My best female friend is doing just that; the 3 year Bachelor of Social Sciences, plus the one year masters in HR management..

It is to do with business and people; no math involved, and if there is, it is only a 6 month BASIC math course if anything.

.... This friend of mine has the same apptitude regarding study as I do, and we MET through both starting our Food Science and Human Nutrition degree.

We both found the prospect of doing hard science and math all day every day too much for us, so changed degrees; she is almost done, I should have stayed at Uni and I would have been almost done too.

I have been told that just by getting the degree, I can pretty much walk into an office job, which will hold me over until I get a masters in something, and then go on to get a better paying job.

I am enrolled to start next year.

• Author

I have spent years figuring out the best outcome for me, career wise.

The only other ways, besides a degree, that would have lead to a comfortable life, would have been:

- personal training, doing exceptionally well in that area. With most gyms charging 250 PLUS a week in rent, it is VERY HARD to make a living from it, much less a good living.

-childcare or travel sales were the only other options besides getting a degree of some sort.

...So, I can either get a degree, or do 30K jobs for most of my life.

It was an easy choice in the end. I did fully explore the no - degree options, and they just did not appeal to me as a life long career prospect for me.

I know not all degrees will even get you out of poverty, however, the degree I am doing will get me AT LEAST an office job, without the masters, that would START on a little more than 30K a year.

With a masters, there are honestly a LOT of options that lead to jobs that pay far better than working as a waitress, child care worker, or a personal trainer my whole life.

• Author
You are aware that most likely even with a degree you will be doing 30k jobs? Unless you study some good engineering degree or it degree and most importantly if you HAVE good connections your degree won't matter. But most people don't have those connections.

We have it better here in Australia...

I know for certain, based on research and people in different industries telling me so: getting my degree will not ammount to 30K jobs for most of my life.

I may start out on it, but if I am personable, work hard, and enjoy the job on SOME level: I am sure to get paid more than a WAITRESS.....

For instance, you Americans pay teachers terribly......(totally unjustified and disgusting if you ask me).Where as HERE in AUS, teachers get paid a sallary they can LIVE on, and even afford holidays on if they are childless.

Teachers are on about 70K here, which is enough for a childless person in a cheap living arrangement to travel overseas........

In terms of degrees here, most degrees get paid over 30K.

20 -30K is what a WAITRESS gets.

...With my degree, I with all the differing majors, masters, and DIFFERING degrees I can transfer into if I am doing well/want a better outcome......

....I would at least get 50K after a couple of years, and then more.

If your a social worker even, and your good at your job, within 5 years you get 50K or more...

• Author

I do know that here in Aus, my degree DOES lead to a better outcome than being a waitress, or basic retail worker.

You just have to be personable, work hard, and not expect it to happen right away.

I will just be thrilled to have other options than being a waitress.

And, by the way - I will probably DO waitressing jobs at night or bar work at night WHILE I work my degree job.... To get 50K a year instead of the 30K I might start on.

I am very lucky that I enjoy bar work, because if I did that after my 9 - 5 job most days, I could earn a living and even save for a holiday.

• Author

I have travelled around the USA when I was younger - you know, it is a nice place in some parts, and I have not lived there or explored it as extensively as a local....

However, I was appalled that people with menial jobs lived in such abject poverty.

Here in Aus, my boyfriends friends do NOT have degrees; the women work in office and menial jobs, and are ABLE TO MAKE A LIVING. And even save for holidays.

People with menial jobs or basic office jobs that get say, 30 - 40K a year, STILL do not live in poverty.

.....Again, based on the facts here, I am likely to NOT do 30K jobs my whole life, if I get my degree and then get my masters in a relevent area...

Maybe you should think of a different term than "menial" jobs. It sounds demeaning.