Picking Career in Mid to Late 20's

• Author
So how's your Christmas job that you said you'd be working at now going? Did that happen? If so, what is the work? What is your workday like, and how are you doing at dealing with your responsibilities there? If it didn't happen - why?

It didn''t work out at the first X mas job; I am good with kids, but not in the way they needed me to be. They needed you to make funny noises and speak in a very high pitched voice, the way you do with a baby (but to older kids)

I just did not fit in well there. I can see why I didn't. It is nothing that will hinder my prospects at other work.

Oh well; at least I made a few hundred out of it before I got laid off.

I am having trials at the moment; I had a trial at subway on Monday, and she is going to call me next week to tell me if and when she needs me back. I was SO tried and I do not think it went well. Besides, she just put two new people on the day before me and is not desperate for another staff member.

Today I had a trial at a sandwhich shop. Only it was too busy, and she asked me to please come back on Tuesday instead; I think I have a real chance there.

Lastly, there is another Subway that is about to hire too, so I am about to take my resume in today actually.

I am printing a bunch of resumes, and will hand them out to cafes that need staff this weekend.

They only want people if you are super, super fast, do not talk much and are sort of boring, and are good with customers.

I am good with customers, don't talk to staff excessively, but am not super fast on my first trial a lot of the time. That is why I do not get the jobs. I am not that bad, but they want the very best. You know, they have a pile of resumes if your not super fast the first trial..

They can get another worker to come in and work for free for a day, if you rnot lightening fast. And often, they do....

They also lie! They are like " it is only your first day, we do not expect you do be able to do everything to the same speed and standard as current staff''.....

But then people come along that CAN do everything as fast, and only need one quick glance at the new screen, and they can do everything up to speed right away.

I am average at looking at material and learning it, according to my teachers of the past... I cannot just look at a new cash register, and be able to process orders just as fast as all the other staff, on my first shift.

Sometimes I am desperately depressed and feel hatefull at the people who serve me; because I am DESPERATE for a job, yet they get one and I do not. I KNOW I cam do their job well, if only the managers would give me a changce, just a few shifts to get as fast as all the other staff.

Being unemployed sometimes upsets me a great deal... It is a helpless feeling to just want a job more than anything, and have people tell you "sorry, we arent going to employ you"

As you can see, not EVERYONE on welfare WANTS to be! I want a job more than anything and HATE being dependant on the government....

It didn''t work out at the first X mas job; I am good with kids, but not in the way they needed me to be. They needed you to make funny noises and speak in a very high pitched voice, the way you do with a baby (but to older kids)

?? What exactly was this job?

Leigh, I hope you will look at your post above. You have so many excuses and super-complex explanations about why you aren't actually doing anything in your life TODAY. I suggest that you really need to learn how to get something going in your current life BEFORE you start going to school. You need to learn how to follow through. You need to learn how to navigate in situations that are stressful or that are not "perfect" for you without bailing. You'll need these skills in order to succeed at school. A person CAN NOT succeed in school without them. They are normally acquired in high school. You should learn them RIGHT NOW while you don't have anything else to do.

Have you thought about widening your field of view as far as part-time jobs go? You seem very keen on food service, and it's great that you have an idea of what you want, but if it's not yielding very good results for you maybe have a look at what else is available. Clothing stores and supermarkets are always hiring, big department stores are very keen for extra people around Christmas. And how about something more directly related to the degree you're aiming for, so if you'd like to be a teacher, try out at a daycare centre or something. "Social sciences" covers all sorts of things from archaeology to international relations. What field are you interested in?

Also, you should know that people absolutely cannot ask their employees to work for free, even and especially if they've been called in just to help the new girl. Don't let bosses do that to you or your coworkers. And they really don't expect you to be the quickest in your first days, but the quicker you learn, the better.

• Author
Leigh, I hope you will look at your post above. You have so many excuses and super-complex explanations about why you aren't actually doing anything in your life TODAY. I suggest that you really need to learn how to get something going in your current life BEFORE you start going to school. You need to learn how to follow through. You need to learn how to navigate in situations that are stressful or that are not "perfect" for you without bailing. You'll need these skills in order to succeed at school. A person CAN NOT succeed in school without them. They are normally acquired in high school. You should learn them RIGHT NOW while you don't have anything else to do.

Yes, I have not been good at overcoming bad situations, which will be a daily occurance when I study full time (do I go for a short run when I am deathly tired, or hug my boyfriend, or do I need to do some extra reading instead?)

I often get angry and freak out over tiny issues (such as loosing my expensive running pants on a boat this weekend... when I had no other pants to wear)

For a greatful person (I think about less fortunate people daily, and know I am very lucky), I sure do kick up a fuss and winge and wine to Andrew about issues that I should just shrugg off. For instance, he forgot the portable toilet on his boat we went away on, this weekend. I was livid that I had to poop over the side of the boat, and not go at all during the day,m as there were other boats around!

I am currently working on not stressing and treating people better who I love the most; my mother and ANdrew have suffered a lot, with my fits and tantrums when I do not get my way.

I am generally very positive and too greatfull at mty predicament in life to feel sadness often, and for too long, but vocally I complain when things go wrong (albiet I get over it just as quickly as I snap)

So yes, I will need to deal with life better, in order to start and finish the degree.

In the worst case scenario, i will drop back to part time study, if I truly do not have the tools to cope/handle what Uni has to offer me.

• Author
Have you thought about widening your field of view as far as part-time jobs go? You seem very keen on food service, and it's great that you have an idea of what you want, but if it's not yielding very good results for you maybe have a look at what else is available. Clothing stores and supermarkets are always hiring, big department stores are very keen for extra people around Christmas. And how about something more directly related to the degree you're aiming for, so if you'd like to be a teacher, try out at a daycare centre or something. "Social sciences" covers all sorts of things from archaeology to international relations. What field are you interested in?

Also, you should know that people absolutely cannot ask their employees to work for free, even and especially if they've been called in just to help the new girl. Don't let bosses do that to you or your coworkers. And they really don't expect you to be the quickest in your first days, but the quicker you learn, the better.

I think I would do better in interviews and trials for big department stores. Where as tomorrow, I have a trial in a sandwhich shop (the best one around here and therefore VERY popular!)

The trial is all about making sandwiches FAST; and being told ONCE where everything is, and to find everything without asking more then ONCE after first being shown.

I really want this to be my break here! My mother, god bless her, knows how passionate I have been about travelling. My entire life I travelled about, and am obsessed with it.

Mum sees how hard I look for work, and is thrilled I finally have pinpointed the degree direction (general area) I 100% want to commit to.

Mum sais that, while she has a good job, she is going to shout me or at least go 50/50 with ANdrew with one overseas trip throughout my Uni life.

While it is incredibly nice and generous of mum to ensure I have another overseas trip before I am 30, I would MUCH MUCH rather pay for the majority of it!

Mum literally FORCES it on me! Her generosity, that is; she tells me that " she WILL force me to accept money for an overseas holiday, because she knows how happy it would make me, and if I work hard at Uni and TRY to find work, she is GOING to make it happen for me"

I, on the other hand, am the one who tells her to NOT send me money, and to NOT insist she pays for a freakin holiday for me!

..........................................................................................................

I am going to just walk into the trial tomorrow, and feel confident that I can get the job if I work really hard.

I know I can get this job. They said "ïf your eager, you can come in in your own time so we can train you, and then we will see what we have available"

So, I have been told there is work available, if I can simply do everything fast enough.

I am confident. It is my time. I want to work SO badly! I just want a job already!

Wish me luck everyone.

And in regards to my degree, I am flexible and open to any good opportinity that comes my way! I could be anything from a social worker, to an HR management worker if I do that major and masters....

I would do well as a social worker; I feel very strongly about mental illness, and just the general cycle of poverty. That said, I would not want to be a social worker my entire life! Too much poverty and hardship around me every day I suspect... Therefore I can always go back and get my masters, if I do not initially....

Social sciences opens up social work as an option, which I feel strongly incilned to, but who knows what will come my way; it is my job to take any opportunity that sounds good.

I am not in a predicament to be fussy, as I am already bi passing the super hard degrees, such as hard science degrees with math in them, because IU DO NOT WANT the best job I can get! I just want a job ai work very hard for, without distressing me too much in the process!( aka, doing hard science and math)

Take it from someone who spent a lot of time over-thinking and analyzing what I wanted to do career wise, what degree I wanted to study, etc. : stop planning and thinking, and start doing. There is no thinking and planning that could ever, ever substitute for real concrete action. That's the only way you're going to get anywhere. Quiet your brain and take an actual, real step and just do something. You're just getting yourself in a fantasy spiral until you break out of that line of thinking. Give your brain a rest. It's good to be self aware but you aren't, not really - you're extremely fixated and obsessed and that disguises itself as being self aware. Seriously, give your brain a rest.

• Like 4
  • Author

Rach,

I am not having any expectations as to what my career may be. I do know that I picked social sciences because it opens me up to social work, and doing a one year masters then offers me a lot of different prospects (if or when social work does not work out)

A social worker is only one option I have; I have nto set plans, and only want to make the most of the opportinuties that I have.

I will take whatever opportunities arise, even ones I never expected myself to consider.

I think it is all about being open to trying new things. All I want is to get a degree that will result in a job. That is all. The more passionate about my work, the better of course.

I am pretty positive, and can see myself enjoying a lot of things, even if it is not my dream job, I will still feel proud and try to be good at my job, and enjoy it on SOME level.

I think she said she has signed up for a course starting next year?

Oh she has? I must have missed it in the thread. Do you know which one?

All I see is:

In regards to my life plan, I am due to start next year, early Feb.

My best female friend is doing it, and she assures me that I can handle it; it is not a life consuming degree, but often leads to jobs; with a masters, there are many well paid jobs to be had, too

So I'm assuming she was talking about her degree. No idea which one. :o

• Author

Ít's under control guys, I just had to pay a late fee of 150 dollars.

I am doing a social sciences degree, even though I could have gotten into a much harder course ( I was about 3 points away from being able to study law, not that I would wan to!)

I originally aimed to get into a dietetics or nutrition degree, and wanted to open up my own practice.

However, in my mid 20's it is no longer what I want: I simply want a professional job that pays the bills, and allows for overseas travel if I save a lot.

So yeah. Social work is one direction I could go in, although there is not set plan. I will just take any good sounding opportunity that comes my way.

I just want to get my degree, in a field that will get me work.

I just want my degree, a professional job I like, and to pay the bills and save hard in order to travel.

I know I will be happier doing this, than if I went for the hardest degree I could possibly get into.

..I just like the idea of studying for a job I enjoy somewhat, and to learn languages in my spare time and read a lot; THAT is how I most enjoy learning.

While I enjoy studying, I do not like learning that way, to the extent that I want to study a very difficult degree when I am very happy at the idea of being a social worker, or doing a masters in HR management or something similar.

Some people like learning in the form of studying very hard academically and getting a very good job; where as I like the idea of learning about countries, cultures, people, and launguages, rather than doing a science based degree and learning a lot through THAT medium.

A lot of people probably think I should go for a harder degree, since I can get into them, and pass them if I go through hell ( since I am only a slightly above average student , who only got good grades cos I studied very hard)

But, ya know, not everyone has to aim as high as they can career wise, and derive much pleasure from learning, but in ways that are not related to a super hard degree or career.

Final grades came out today at my university....my class lost at least one because she flunked out. We have lost a few over the years. My social work class will be smaller when we graduate in May. Not everyone finds social work easy.

• Author
Final grades came out today at my university....my class lost at least one because she flunked out. We have lost a few over the years. My social work class will be smaller when we graduate in May. Not everyone finds social work easy.

Of course no job is easy to find. The best you can do, is pick a degree where you talk to both a career expert/guide, and proffessionals in the industry, as well as doing your online research of first hand accounts of what it is like to get a job in the field.....

Through talking to several people, the right people, you can pretty much determine if there are many jobs out there in the industry, if your likely to get a job in that field, in addition to other things about the job.

For instance, you know IT and engineering are well paid jobs. You also know that there are many useless degrees if you do not think it through, and figure out what work you can get through your degree.

You can find out a little bit about: weather there are many jobs out there in the field, and the likelyhood of you even getting a job within the first year of graduating.

From what I know in regards to social work, if you are passionate about helping those people, and have an appealing persinality, are prepared to work hard, and are just positive and eager to start work, you will likely find a job as a social worker.

I am not going to major in anything that has a LOW likelyhood of me getting a job out of. That is for sure.

What I have going for me is: a warm and caring personality that gets along with most people, hard working, will apply all day every day for the job and come across as personable, friendly..

Best of all, I think I have enough of a "spark" about me, that WILL ultimately make at least SOME people want to give me a chance at a job in the industry.

The problem with getting work now, is that I am going for the lowest jobs on the job chain; fast food, food serving at cheap establishments, and the like.

I am NOT always super fast at serving and doing all those things, on my trial (first shift). I am, however, good at doing it all after a few shifts, but either want teenagers that they can pay less OR extremely experienced adults in their mid 20's.

I will get over 200 a week on student allowance, and plan to live on about 60 dollars a week (although I have not worked it out exactly yet).

Edited by Leigh 87
todreaminblue

I have just figured out when things get really hard for me and i am struggling it triggers me to want to study.....and i never finish it because i get sick......yep took up study right smack in the middle of a depression again...i have printed out the assignments...and they are on the floor in my room////sustainable agriculture....deb

Of course no job is easy to find. The best you can do, is pick a degree where you talk to both a career expert/guide, and proffessionals in the industry, as well as doing your online research of first hand accounts of what it is like to get a job in the field.....

Through talking to several people, the right people, you can pretty much determine if there are many jobs out there in the industry, if your likely to get a job in that field, in addition to other things about the job.

For instance, you know IT and engineering are well paid jobs. You also know that there are many useless degrees if you do not think it through, and figure out what work you can get through your degree.

You can find out a little bit about: weather there are many jobs out there in the field, and the likelyhood of you even getting a job within the first year of graduating.

From what I know in regards to social work, if you are passionate about helping those people, and have an appealing persinality, are prepared to work hard, and are just positive and eager to start work, you will likely find a job as a social worker.

I am not going to major in anything that has a LOW likelyhood of me getting a job out of. That is for sure.

What I have going for me is: a warm and caring personality that gets along with most people, hard working, will apply all day every day for the job and come across as personable, friendly..

Best of all, I think I have enough of a "spark" about me, that WILL ultimately make at least SOME people want to give me a chance at a job in the industry.

The problem with getting work now, is that I am going for the lowest jobs on the job chain; fast food, food serving at cheap establishments, and the like.

I am NOT always super fast at serving and doing all those things, on my trial (first shift). I am, however, good at doing it all after a few shifts, but either want teenagers that they can pay less OR extremely experienced adults in their mid 20's.

I will get over 200 a week on student allowance, and plan to live on about 60 dollars a week (although I have not worked it out exactly yet).

No, you are misunderstanding what I wrote: I meant one of my classmates flunked out of school. It had nothing to do with finding a job...my class has not graduated yet. I know a lot of people dismiss the social work program as "easy" but it isn't easy for everyone. Same as hard sciencs, math, accounting, and yes, the social sciences are not easy for every one. I know some people who failed sociology too, although many people dismiss it as "easy".

You are right that one should research the field one wants to go into, and some degrees are more likely to get you hired than others. Where I live, social work is one of the degrees that should get you a job. Out of everyone I know who has studied social work (not social service worker diploma, not social science degrees, but bachelor of social work) the only ones I know who are not employed in the field are working in other fields because they chose to leave the field and find other work. I do not know of a single person who has studied social work and not gotten a job in the field. I'm sure there are some, I just haven't met any. But, I live in an area that has a real need for social workers, and some positions are left vacant for years because it is too hard to get social workers to fill those jobs.

My class has one semester left until graduation, and some of the social service agencies are telling my classmates and me to apply yesterday. Every one I've spoken to, including professors and social work professionals, expects that everyone in my class will be employed as social workers after we graduate. As far as "useless degrees" (your term) go, where I live social sciences such as sociology, psychology, etc. are considered "useless" unless you go on to do your master's, and then you have to qualify for that ie. get a high enough GPA, get good references, work experience (sometimes) etc. Of course, things may be different where you live.

Edited by Nanuk
  • Author
No, you are misunderstanding what I wrote: I meant one of my classmates flunked out of school. It had nothing to do with finding a job...my class has not graduated yet. I know a lot of people dismiss the social work program as "easy" but it isn't easy for everyone. Same as hard sciencs, math, accounting, and yes, the social sciences are not easy for every one. I know some people who failed sociology too, although many people dismiss it as "easy".

You are right that one should research the field one wants to go into, and some degrees are more likely to get you hired than others. Where I live, social work is one of the degrees that should get you a job. Out of everyone I know who has studied social work (not social service worker diploma, not social science degrees, but bachelor of social work) the only ones I know who are not employed in the field are working in other fields because they chose to leave the field and find other work. I do not know of a single person who has studied social work and not gotten a job in the field. I'm sure there are some, I just haven't met any. But, I live in an area that has a real need for social workers, and some positions are left vacant for years because it is too hard to get social workers to fill those jobs.

My class has one semester left until graduation, and some of the social service agencies are telling my classmates and me to apply yesterday. Every one I've spoken to, including professors and social work professionals, expects that everyone in my class will be employed as social workers after we graduate. As far as "useless degrees" (your term) go, where I live social sciences such as sociology, psychology, etc. are considered "useless" unless you go on to do your master's, and then you have to qualify for that ie. get a high enough GPA, get good references, work experience (sometimes) etc. Of course, things may be different where you live.

But why is social sciences or social work useless, as far as degrees go?

And sh*t, do you HAVE to do that well if you are to do your masters??????

I was thinking of getting credits, not distinctions or anything....

I was considering an HR Management masters. Which could lead to a good paying job if you work hard and have a knack at it.

Should I do a bachelor of social sciences or a bachelor of social

I know with social work, at least I will get a job. I really like the idea of helping people in that way.

Lastly: do ALL social workers start on 30K and end up on 30K the rest of their careers? it is just waitresses get about 20 - 30 K if they work full time, so.........

You know, I do not want to do a four year degree to get paid the same as a waitress does. NOTHING against waitresses, I want to be one throughout Uni, but studying for years at a time should result in a higher pay check than workers who have not studied at all or worked hard to GEt their job...

For my degree I needed to get a Distinction (70%+) average to do Honours or Masters. It may be different for whichever institution you've applied for, and different again depending on which degree you decide on. You should be able to check the prerequisites for those higher-level courses on the university's website, or in the UAC book, or just ring up the department and ask for some help understanding how their program works.

It really depends on the field (I don't know much about social work) but generally:

It's possible to get a good job with a Bachelor's degree (it just means they'll have to give you a bit of extra training)

It's possible to get a good job with Honours/Masters (you might start in a higher pay bracket)

It's possible to get a good job with a PhD (you will definitely start in a higher pay bracket)

It's possible to get a good job with no degree, but it may not be one you really want. It all depends on what you actually want to spend your time doing. If you don't want to be a waitress, don't be one. If you want to be a social worker, become one.If you can live comfortably on $30K, that's marvelous, and if you don't want to, work hard so that you'll climb that ladder.

But why is social sciences or social work useless, as far as degrees go?

And sh*t, do you HAVE to do that well if you are to do your masters??????

I was thinking of getting credits, not distinctions or anything....

I was considering an HR Management masters. Which could lead to a good paying job if you work hard and have a knack at it.

Should I do a bachelor of social sciences or a bachelor of social

I know with social work, at least I will get a job. I really like the idea of helping people in that way.

Lastly: do ALL social workers start on 30K and end up on 30K the rest of their careers? it is just waitresses get about 20 - 30 K if they work full time, so.........

You know, I do not want to do a four year degree to get paid the same as a waitress does. NOTHING against waitresses, I want to be one throughout Uni, but studying for years at a time should result in a higher pay check than workers who have not studied at all or worked hard to GEt their job...

I am in the process of applying for my master's in social work for next September, and most of the schools I have looked at require at least a 70% average in the bachelor's program for the master's program.

I am not sure what to tell you....go with your heart. I am not saying these degrees are useless....if I thought social work was useless, I would not be taking it. I know some people with social science degrees who are working as social workers, but only after they got a second degree, a post-degree bachelor of social work. I know some people who got degrees in social sciences like sociology to get jobs as social workers after they graduated, but they found that to do so they would need the second degree. They managed to find positions such as social work assistants, but not jobs as social workers. I know a lot of people with just bachelor's degrees in the social sciences who have jobs that have nothing to do with what they studied, but after they get the master's degrees, they often find jobs that are related. Professional programs like social work, nursing, education, engineering, etc. teach you not only the theories of the field, but teach you "how" to do the work. I had originally wanted to be a psychologist and counsel people and from what I understand (but I could be wrong) in my bachelor of arts or science degree in psychology, I would learn the theories, etc., but I wouldn't learn how to actually counsel people until in the master's program. I know someone who followed this path. In my social work program, which is a professinal program, I have already been taught how to counsel people. After Christmas I will be doing my second internship with the Department of Mental Health and Addictions at a hospital and I will be counselling people, before I get my bachelor's in April.

I am aware that things may be different in Australia, so I try not to make assumptions. I live in Canada, and things may be different in these two countries. For example, I am also wanting to get my degree in law (several universities offer joint master of social work/law degrees) but I think I read somewhere that you can get a bachelor of laws degree in Australia as a first degree and practice as a lawyer; in Canada and I believe the USA too, you pretty much need a bachelor's degree in something first before even applying to law school. My university offers a concentration in Human Resources, but it is in the Faculty of Business, not social sciences. Several of the universities where I live offer HR in business, and entry into those programs usually requires courses in calculus. That is common in a lot of business/commerce programs in Canada, but it may be different where you are. Maybe in Australia, HR is in the social sciences field.

I would think that wherever you are, social workers begin with an entering salary but likely move up after gaining experience. I think where you are might depend on how much you make, as well as the demand for the field. I have heard of social workers making very low salaries in some places, but I live in Northern Canada where there is a high demand for social workers because there is a shortage. Social workers with just bachelor's degrees can make up to $60,000 a year to start where I live, but I live in a rural area that is hard to recruit, so the agencies have to make the job package as attractive as possible. You can get housing in some cases that is free or heavily subsidized. The more experience and training you get, the more you make. I should make more with my master's degree than someone with a bachelor's, and even more still if I go on for my PhD.

Whew! I didn't mean to write a book, but I wanted to further explain some of my comments and address some of your questions. Go with what your heart tells you. I know it's hard. Good luck!

Edited by Nanuk

Many jobs that pay well, have high competition for entry.

That is something to research before you begin your degree to career path. First determine where you want to live. In some areas, social work may be plenteous, in other places not so much. I would guess (knowing little about the field) there will be more work in more progressive, urban areas.

Like most careers, pay will fit with competency. You can get into a job with a degree, but if you are mediocre, you will probably advance more slowly (if at all). Here is some information on social worker salaries:

Social Worker (BSW) Salary - Salary.com

Median salary is $47,409. Median is another way to report average, but is often used to reduce the impact of outliers (people making very little in field and people making very high salary).

Profile from US News and World Report:

Child & Family Social Worker Job Overview | Best Jobs | US News Careers

In case you are not aware, you do not have to go into college knowing 100% what you want to do. :) No need to stress making major decisions so soon. The first year or two is generally basic prerequisites required by pretty much all degrees. You can go to a community college to take these then transfer to a four year university. Will be cheaper and generally smaller classes. Once you are enrolled, you can talk to a counselor in the career services center or academic advisor at your college. They will generally have a self-assessments you can take which can help you devise a career plan based on your interests and skills. Usually you will also get to talk to faculty and students.

Good luck!! :bunny:

• Author

Wow. I am overwhelmed with the detailed and time consuming responses. Especially from the poster who is DOING her degree in social work.

I am not certain I want to follow in your path; I definately want to study to be a social worker.

After MUCH consideration, I have decided to do a degree in social work.

I have thought a good few months about which degree I want, based on the employment prospects I wish for.

The determining factor in my decision was: with a social work degree, I just have to pass to get employment, and be flexible (willing to move for work).

You do not need a masters or to do honours in social work to get a job in the field. Where as with a degree in social sciences, if you do not do well in the degree, there are very few options I can think of. From what I have seen, you need a masters after your bachelor of social sciences in order to get anywhere.

I am determined, have a nice personalility and work well with people, and have a HUGE drive to work in the area of social work. Therefore, even if I do not get a masters in social work or even honours, I feel that there is les pressure on me; it looks like I can get a job as a social worker even if I DO NOT do that well at Uni (despite my best efforts)

So there you have it. I have honestly thought a LOT... ALOT about my future career. I am certain this time. I have picked exactly what I WANT to do, that is within my academic capacity. I DID want to be a nutritionist in 2010, however it was too difficult and was riddled with science and math... I just did not do enough school to handle that without extensive tutoring....

A nutritionist and social worker were always my top two career titles I aspired to; I tried one, it did not work out, so I am opting for the other one.

• Author
Many jobs that pay well, have high competition for entry.

That is something to research before you begin your degree to career path. First determine where you want to live. In some areas, social work may be plenteous, in other places not so much. I would guess (knowing little about the field) there will be more work in more progressive, urban areas.

Like most careers, pay will fit with competency. You can get into a job with a degree, but if you are mediocre, you will probably advance more slowly (if at all). Here is some information on social worker salaries:

Social Worker (BSW) Salary - Salary.com

Median salary is $47,409. Median is another way to report average, but is often used to reduce the impact of outliers (people making very little in field and people making very high salary).

Profile from US News and World Report:

Child & Family Social Worker Job Overview | Best Jobs | US News Careers

In case you are not aware, you do not have to go into college knowing 100% what you want to do. :) No need to stress making major decisions so soon. The first year or two is generally basic prerequisites required by pretty much all degrees. You can go to a community college to take these then transfer to a four year university. Will be cheaper and generally smaller classes. Once you are enrolled, you can talk to a counselor in the career services center or academic advisor at your college. They will generally have a self-assessments you can take which can help you devise a career plan based on your interests and skills. Usually you will also get to talk to faculty and students.

Good luck!! :bunny:

Thank you! I am really, really looking forward to studying actually.. I never applied myself in high school AT ALL (despite having the ability to get A's and B;'s in everything)

I am at a stage in my life where I have a HUGE drive to study; it sounds strange, but I ALWAYS always knew that my ""time"" to study for a career would just "come"when I was "ready..... Do you understand?

That time has come now. And I have never been more certain of what profession I want to be.

And look, starting at about 30k and progressing to 50k would be just lovely! I would be thrilled!

I am VERY passionate about the job, and I believe people who are passionate about their jobs, succeed. Because it will be hard and I won't get paid well at first, if ever.... So the drive I have to BE a social worker will serve me well.

I will update everyone when I am a year through my degree.

• Author

I have finalized my decision: I changed my application to either a bachelor of social work, or a bachelor of teaching.

Social work of teaching will most likely get me a job at least, and you can earn a living doing them if your single and childess, and live cheaply.

They are both my ideal careers that I most want to do; besides nutrition, which I never liked any more than those other two.

I have to do basic math in order to do either of those degrees, so I am going to do one year without math and ely the math section to the second year or even third.

I am not able to go right into math without AT LEAST 6 months math tuition.

Lucky, I have found a tutor: my friend who is an engineer. Who will only charge 20 dollars per hour. WAY cheaper than most tutors!

So there ya go people, I will have to re learn the most basic math after all, and then do it for ONE semester total.

It's no big deal, just a on going tutoring for up to a year might be needed.

Good for you! Sometimes we just have to do stuff we normally don't want to do, to get what we want in the end!

I guess standards are different in different countries. I didn't have to do any math - at all - for my BSW degree. As for salary, several people I know who are not single or childless make good livings as teachers and social workers, but again, I know that salaries are different based on where you live, demand for workers, work loads, etc. Sounds like you should make a comfortable living though...that's good.

Good luck!