My journal on trying to improve my life

Have you ever thought about becoming an umpire? I umpire basketball and get all sorts of abuse hurled at me on a weekly basis. It was rough at first but now anytime someone abuses me it just rolls right off my back. It might help you deal with situations like these. It doesn't matter what the mistake was, you just need to try and leave the abuse at the construction site. When you let it come home with you and consume you I personally know how devastating that can be.

Dude, that's a rough time! But a GREAT time for us hecklers. How long you been doing it?

Dude, that's a rough time! But a GREAT time for us hecklers. How long you been doing it?

Been doing it about 3 years now. I don't get as heckled now that I'm better but you get some crazies every now and then. It's pretty good character building. I don't like the job that much though, only really doing it till I graduate from university.

I think you need to put yourself out there Ross :) and conquer all your problems. It's hard but it will be rewarding.

• Author
Ross MwcFan

I'm not sure if that be good for my well being even in the long term.

I mean, you always hear people give the advice about getting toxic people out of your life.

To be honest, I've got no idea how to recognise the negative thought patterns as being something that settled down in me early on in my life.

google The Lefkoe Method and you will know.

• Author
Ross MwcFan

Had to cut someone off because I was in the wrong lane today.

They looked like they were slowing down to allow me to go, but when I changed lanes they beeped at me.

I also nearly reversed into a guy pushing shopping carts at the supermarket as well, because I forgot to look in my rear view mirror and through my back window. Another car was beeping at me to warn me, and the guy himself was shouting to warn me as well.

I wonder what's going to be next?

Had to cut someone off because I was in the wrong lane today.

They looked like they were slowing down to allow me to go, but when I changed lanes they beeped at me.

I also nearly reversed into a guy pushing shopping carts at the supermarket as well, because I forgot to look in my rear view mirror and through my back window. Another car was beeping at me to warn me, and the guy himself was shouting to warn me as well.

I wonder what's going to be next?

As do I. Will Ross continue to take more note of the negative than the positive?

Will he forever be unmerciless about forgiving his mistakes?

Will he continue to see himself as "especially defective" for these errors?

Only time will tell.

• Author
Ross MwcFan
As do I. Will Ross continue to take more note of the negative than the positive?

Will he forever be unmerciless about forgiving his mistakes?

Will he continue to see himself as "especially defective" for these errors?

Only time will tell.

I know I know.

Surely if I was that much of a buffoon and shouldn't have a license I wouldn't have passed my test the first time.

I should look at the positives about my driving, because there are a lot more.

Also, talking to Cerridwen on IM has helped me feel a lot better. :)

• Author

Blood test results show there's nothing wrong.

Made an appointment with the last doc I saw about my voice, to see where to go from here. Trouble is is that the soonest he can see me is early Sept.

Not sure whether to make a sooner appointment with another doc.

Blood test results show there's nothing wrong.

Made an appointment with the last doc I saw about my voice, to see where to go from here. Trouble is is that the soonest he can see me is early Sept.

Not sure whether to make a sooner appointment with another doc.

Are you unable to speak at length, or has it worsened? If it is no better the doctor would want to see you sooner.

• Author
Are you unable to speak at length, or has it worsened? If it is no better the doctor would want to see you sooner.

It seems to be getting better.

But still, some days it'll just sound completely wrecked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

I thought I'd wait until I got the whole voice thing out of the way first. But I've decided to start trying to look for voluntary work with animals, but so far I haven't been able to find anywhere near to me. I'm not sure why but I'm finding it very stressful and like I just cannot be bothered, even though I would really like to get some voluntary work with animals.

The only closest places that I know about so far is an animal sanctury and the RSPCA. But they're still really far away from me, so I'd be having to deal with the whole 'driving thing' as well as doing voluntary work and working with other people.

So I guess I might have to end up going to one of those two places. And unfortunatley if I do, I wont be able to work any more than once a week since it'll cost me a fortune in petrol and I can't afford it.

If only there was somewhere nice near to me.

Edited by Ross MwcFan

Oh well we all gotta make sacrifices. I spend 4 hours commuting each day. It sucks balls, but what are you gonna do?

• Author
Oh well we all gotta make sacrifices. I spend 4 hours commuting each day. It sucks balls, but what are you gonna do?

Yeah but you don't have the issues I do.

I thought I'd wait until I got the whole voice thing out of the way first. But I've decided to start trying to look for voluntary work with animals, but so far I haven't been able to find anywhere near to me. I'm not sure why but I'm finding it very stressful and like I just cannot be bothered, even though I would really like to get some voluntary work with animals.

The only closest places that I know about so far is an animal sanctury and the RSPCA. But they're still really far away from me, so I'd be having to deal with the whole 'driving thing' as well as doing voluntary work and working with other people.

So I guess I might have to end up going to one of those two places. And unfortunatley if I do, I wont be able to work any more than once a week since it'll cost me a fortune in petrol and I can't afford it.

If only there was somewhere nice near to me.

What is the purpose of volunteering? It sounds counterproductive if it stalls out your ability to work and costs you out of pocket.

Ultimately, if volunteering doesn't benefit you, you may want to skip it and find work in a low stress environment instead.

I'm with Dorie here. It's nice to volunteer, but not necessary. Did you look into the Cinnamon Trust? They might be more up your street.

I volunteered at an Oxfam shop last summer. It was okay - lots of sexy posh students to serve, but it was dull as ditch-water otherwise. I went to see about being a guide at a National Trust farm but that would mean driving and that means having a car and insurance and MOT and blah blah blah. Too much effort. If you can find ways to be charitable just day to day, informally, that can be what you do to give back to the community. It could be as simple as a smile and a "hello" to an old dear at the bus stop.

It's interesting because people say "Oh yeh, sure volunteer..." but then it's actually very difficult to get in with some of these volunteer run organizations...

I was offered some volunteer work today but I politely refused because I have enough responsibilities as it is. There comes a point when you need to focus on yourself and I'd never volunteer in order to make myself feel better about anything. It's got to be truly selfless and you'll only truly benefit if you volunteer expecting to gain nothing in return. I know, counter intuitive, but true.

I agree with BetterDeal: see what you can do on a daily basis informally within your local community. You never know, opportunities might then present themselves to you.

• Author
What is the purpose of volunteering? It sounds counterproductive if it stalls out your ability to work and costs you out of pocket.

Ultimately, if volunteering doesn't benefit you, you may want to skip it and find work in a low stress environment instead.

Volunteering would be a good way to get me used to working again, as I may only have to go once or twice a week.

Also, it will make it more likely for me to be able to get a paying job which involves working with animals, since I haven't worked for many years.

Maybe do something closer to home that doesn't involve animals to get the work vibe then go from there?

• Author
I'm with Dorie here. It's nice to volunteer, but not necessary. Did you look into the Cinnamon Trust? They might be more up your street.

I volunteered at an Oxfam shop last summer. It was okay - lots of sexy posh students to serve, but it was dull as ditch-water otherwise. I went to see about being a guide at a National Trust farm but that would mean driving and that means having a car and insurance and MOT and blah blah blah. Too much effort. If you can find ways to be charitable just day to day, informally, that can be what you do to give back to the community. It could be as simple as a smile and a "hello" to an old dear at the bus stop.

Yeah I looked at Cinnamon Trust, but it's hundreds of miles away from me.

• Author

Change of plan. I'm going to try and get some sort of support system first, and then look into volunteering.

Been looking on the MIND website.

Yellow_Duck'y

Not sure if I can post direct links, but here are a few websites you can look into for volunteering with animals (if you haven't already looked into them):

Direct Gov UK website (under "Home and Community")

Animal Jobs Direct UK website

RSPCA UK website

Wildlife Aid UK website

The Wildlife Trusts UK website

The Blue Cross Animal Welfare Charity website

The Dog Rescue Pages UK website

Dogs Blog UK website

The Cat Rescue Resource UK website

Hopefully you can find something local. Hope it works out. :)

Start up a dog-walking business. Just need to print some leaflets and put them through doors to start with.

• Author

Found where the nearest MIND is to me but it's really far away, I wouldn't know the directions in the car, and I wouldn't have enough guts to drive all that way anyway.

• Author

I just hate doing this kind of stuff, I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. There's so much stuff to read, so many links to click on which leads to even more stuff to read. I don't know which direction to go in, I find it all so duanting. And then in the end I just don't seem to get anywhere, and I just feel so depressed. It just feels like trying to climb a slippery mountain and I never get anywhere. I just feel like I don't have the mental energy for it.

This is why I hate trying to do stuff like this.

It's called "Yak Shaving" in computer programming circles - you set out to do one thing and 4 hours later find yourself shaving yak...

Just find things that are going in near you. So long as they're not dangerous, give them a go. Being more open minded is one way to lose some anxiety. You might find, say, a church group nearby. Maybe in 6 weeks you'll wonder what the hell you were doing bashing a tambourine with a bunch of blue rinsers, but you might also enjoy it, and meet some nice people. Even if it doesn't turn out to be much fun, what harm has been done?