My journal on trying to improve my life

Thanks! I never thought of that. I actually have a consultation on Monday, as I'm obviously still struggling and need help. My doctor, and my last doctor, seem to have all but given up on me. They disagree to anymore therapy, and they're against me trying any other meds, even though the ones I'm on are missing the mark.

If they're not taking you seriously, try getting another doctor for a second opinion. Good luck :)

Thanks! I never thought of that. I actually have a consultation on Monday, as I'm obviously still struggling and need help. My doctor, and my last doctor, seem to have all but given up on me. They disagree to anymore therapy, and they're against me trying any other meds, even though the ones I'm on are missing the mark.

Look into going private for therapy. The NHS only offers CBT, IIRC. I've been thinking I'd like to join a reading club or something like that - somewhere to talk at reasonable depth with people. Maybe something like that would be of interest to you?

• Author
Ross MwcFan
Look into going private for therapy. The NHS only offers CBT, IIRC. I've been thinking I'd like to join a reading club or something like that - somewhere to talk at reasonable depth with people. Maybe something like that would be of interest to you?

I think maybe joining some sort of group could be a good idea. I'm not sure about a reading club though, wouldn't that just entail reading books? I'm not sure how that would give me the opportunity to talk in depth about any issues with people.

Hi Ross I can relate. I also struggle with depression too. I absolutely hate it. Once you get depressed, I find it very difficult to get out of.

I think maybe joining some sort of group could be a good idea. I'm not sure about a reading club though, wouldn't that just entail reading books? I'm not sure how that would give me the opportunity to talk in depth about any issues with people.

Not your personal issues, granted, but talking in depth with nuance and consideration is a joy in itself. One of your challenges is to be more confident in conversations, right? And how do we improve any muscle, skill, facet of our being? By practice. And the best practice is that which we enjoy.

Also, books tend to cover lots of issues that you may find interrelated to your personal experience of life, thus giving you a bigger context in which to consider your issues. It's all food, for thought.

And there will be people there. Some of which will be ladies...

It may turn out to be a pile of pompous shiite, who knows? There's one way to find out and that's by going. 50% of life is turning up.

• Author
Ross MwcFan
Hi Ross I can relate. I also struggle with depression too. I absolutely hate it. Once you get depressed, I find it very difficult to get out of.

I've found that hypnosis, and self help mp3's seem to help with this. Not so much as getting you out of depression once you're feeling that way, but to help prevent it.

In fact I'm sure they've helped a lot with my progress, helped me to become more positive, and have helped me to gain more inner strength.

I basically listen to them almost every day, and I carry out the mental exercises that some of them ask you to do.

Some good ones to search for, are mp3's by Paul McKenna, Anthony Robbins, and Wendi Friesen.

Not your personal issues, granted, but talking in depth with nuance and consideration is a joy in itself. One of your challenges is to be more confident in conversations, right? And how do we improve any muscle, skill, facet of our being? By practice. And the best practice is that which we enjoy.

Also, books tend to cover lots of issues that you may find interrelated to your personal experience of life, thus giving you a bigger context in which to consider your issues. It's all food, for thought.

And there will be people there. Some of which will be ladies...

It may turn out to be a pile of pompous shiite, who knows? There's one way to find out and that's by going. 50% of life is turning up.

Yeah, it's a good idea. It's definatley something I'll look into at some point, not a book group, but something else, as I really don't enjoy reading books.

Edited by Ross MwcFan
  • Author
Ross MwcFan

For the last few days, always seeing couples everywhere, all the time, whenever I'm out, has been making me feel like crap.

Even just seeing attractive girls on their own has been making me feel bad as well.

Today when I was out, I felt so sick of it, that just tried to ignore it all, and really tried avoid looking at any couples or girls.

As you can tell I'm having an off day today. Been feeling quite defeatist and depressed.

For the last few days, always seeing couples everywhere, all the time, whenever I'm out, has been making me feel like crap.

Even just seeing attractive girls on their own has been making me feel bad as well.

Today when I was out, I felt so sick of it, that just tried to ignore it all, and really tried avoid looking at any couples or girls.

As you can tell I'm having an off day today. Been feeling quite defeatist and depressed.

A few days ago, in the "bathtub" thread, I posted I could do with drinking myself silly. I'd had a terrible day.

An issue I'd thought had been put to rest, came alive again. It sent me into a day long low, feeling I'd made little progress on the situation.

Then, after a day and night of feeling like crap, it lifted. I'm back to feeling strong and motivated.

My suggestion is to do as you are: Recognize it's a low but not the absolute truth. Allow yourself today but don't go too deeply into the emotion so it extends beyond.

In other words, pay special attention to your self talk.

Stay away from "Things will never get better" and "I'll never find someone" and opt for the less damaging "Today's lousy. I feel like crap. But that's the extent of it."

Yeah, some days are just bollocks. They're good days to read a book or watch a film.

What was the weather like?

• Author
Ross MwcFan
Yeah, some days are just bollocks. They're good days to read a book or watch a film.

What was the weather like?

Nice and sunny.

Maybe you're afraid of feeling good. Sitting in a park, on a sunny day, watching people, can be fun. It's okay to feel good.

Maybe you're afraid of feeling good. Sitting in a park, on a sunny day, watching people, can be fun. It's okay to feel good.

Really interesting, betterdeal!

I just happen to be reading something about common self-defeating attitudes.

One happens to be: "If I worry or feel bad about a situation, it will somehow make things better. It's not really safe to feel happy and optimistic."

Huh. Wonder why.

Really interesting, betterdeal!

I just happen to be reading something about common self-defeating attitudes.

One happens to be: "If I worry or feel bad about a situation, it will somehow make things better. It's not really safe to feel happy and optimistic."

Huh. Wonder why.

Yeah, fear of success I used to call it!

It's familiar; we know who we are when we are fearful if we are fearful most of the time. It feels comfortable. Like a smoker's cough. That's one possibility.

Another is (and this is not exclusive from the first) is that in the past something traumatic happened when we were happy and optimistic and we haven't healed from that.

Cracker Jack

Yeah, off-days are definitely normal. I'll usually have those more often than I'd like, but as Dorie mentioned--it's only temporary. I'm definitely no stranger to feeling down while seeing happy couples together in the city, or seeing an attractive woman in general. It seems to be random for me, but sometimes it doesn't bother me at all. I think you'll get better with this.

Glad to see you're on the path of improvement, Ross. I look forward to reading more positive updates from you throughout your journey.

• Author
Ross MwcFan
A few days ago, in the "bathtub" thread, I posted I could do with drinking myself silly. I'd had a terrible day.

An issue I'd thought had been put to rest, came alive again. It sent me into a day long low, feeling I'd made little progress on the situation.

Then, after a day and night of feeling like crap, it lifted. I'm back to feeling strong and motivated.

My suggestion is to do as you are: Recognize it's a low but not the absolute truth. Allow yourself today but don't go too deeply into the emotion so it extends beyond.

In other words, pay special attention to your self talk.

Stay away from "Things will never get better" and "I'll never find someone" and opt for the less damaging "Today's lousy. I feel like crap. But that's the extent of it."

I'm fine now. :)

Sounds like Maltesers and Kronenbourg time.

Ha ha! :p

Nah, that's not true at all.

Yeah, off-days are definitely normal. I'll usually have those more often than I'd like, but as Dorie mentioned--it's only temporary. I'm definitely no stranger to feeling down while seeing happy couples together in the city, or seeing an attractive woman in general. It seems to be random for me, but sometimes it doesn't bother me at all. I think you'll get better with this.

Yeah, same here, sometimes seeing couples and attractive women everywhere doesn't bother me at all.

When I'm feeling really down about stuff, I just need to keep in mind that it's not always going to feel that way, and I may even feel perfectly fine by the next day.

Glad to see you're on the path of improvement, Ross. I look forward to reading more positive updates from you throughout your journey.

Thanks.

Lol! As corny as it sounds, I guess I am on a journey. :)

Edited by Ross MwcFan
  • Author
Ross MwcFan
Keep it up, Ross.

Don't get weak like some of us do.

I've got no choice. There's no way I want to continue living like this.

• Author
Ross MwcFan
I know, man....I wish everyone could find happiness.

I hate being unhappy....the thing is, unlike me, yo uhave the balls to do something about it..

Keep on that path, man...don't get off of it.

Hopefully I'll/this topic will be able to inspire you.

I know, man....I wish everyone could find happiness.

I hate being unhappy....the thing is, unlike me, yo uhave the balls to do something about it..

Keep on that path, man...don't get off of it.

The first step in any journey is deciding where you want to go. Do you want to be happy or unhappy?

Hopefully I'll/this topic will be able to inspire you.

I am inspired by this thread :)

• Author
Ross MwcFan
I am inspired by this thread :)

Thanks. :)

Ross you look bloody gorgeous in your new avatar.

Lol! Thanks.

If only you women would say this sort of stuff to me in real life. :p

Edited by Ross MwcFan