Why do short guys have such nasty attitudes?

MeganDoll

Yes exactly my point. A guy 5'7 or 5'8 , 1 or 2 inches below average, is the equal of a woman 8 inches over average or someone who is morbidly obese . This is exactly my point.

I've dated many guys at around 5'8''. Most guys I go out with are probably 5'8''-5'10'' these days. (Don't know why; just so happens.) I'm pretty, thin, and a nice height for a gal (5'5''). I see many pretty, thin gals dating these fellows. I do think that under 5'7'' or so, a guy is going to get some extra trouble, but mostly, I think that 5'8'' or so only puts a guy at a disadvantage by eliminating tall gals. Most of the gals I know want a guy as tall as she is or as tall + heels, if she wears heels a lot.

No but women expect much less in terms of other traits from tall men and much more from shorter guys.
I don't factor in height much at all, unless it's extreme (tall or short). Taller than me, but not so tall it feels like dating the Empire State Building.

However, taller people in general (men and women) appear slimmer and fitter, have it a little bit easier if they gain or lose a few pounds, and clothes look better on them. I'm not particularly tall, and I'm always jealous of the way tall gals look in jeans. I am thin, but tall gals can carry weight a little bit better if they gain some; I assume the same is true for tall men. Are you sure that doesn't factor in somewhat? (I'm not talking about general fitness, and certainly not muscles, but just looking lean and having the lines of clothes fall well.)

kiss_andmakeup
However, taller people in general (men and women) appear slimmer and fitter, have it a little bit easier if they gain or lose a few pounds, and clothes look better on them. I'm not particularly tall, and I'm always jealous of the way tall gals look in jeans.

I'm 5'9 with very long legs and a very short torso (I wear a 36" inseam) and it is IMPOSSIBLE to find clothes that fit me properly. I'm sure if budget were not an issue and I could shop at very high end retailers and get things tailored it wouldn't be a problem, but on my just-out-of-college budget shopping for clothes is very hard. Most pants look like floods on me.

So count your blessings for being a nice, average 5'5...the majority of consumer clothes are MADE to fit your height, whether high-end fashion designers want it to be that way or not. ;)

Ok...back on topic!

I'm 5'9 with very long legs and a very short torso (I wear a 36" inseam) and it is IMPOSSIBLE to find clothes that fit me properly. I'm sure if budget were not an issue and I could shop at very high end retailers and get things tailored it wouldn't be a problem, but on my just-out-of-college budget shopping for clothes is very hard. Most pants look like floods on me.

So count your blessings for being a nice, average 5'5...the majority of consumer clothes are MADE to fit your height, whether high-end fashion designers want it to be that way or not. ;)

Ok...back on topic!

Ah... I'm in Korea. (Surprisingly, Korean gals in this generation are tallish. :) The average height for women in Korea is 5'4'' but my generation/younger is a LOT taller than their parents or grandparents, due to vast changes in diet/nutrition, since their parents/grandparents grew up more post-war.) So, that might influence my thoughts on things. And all the girls wear heels (not me) so all the pants are cut way too long and I have to roll them up (jeans), hem them, or find special shortie jeans, which isn't easy.

Still true-ish for men, though. I'm imagining things are cut more for the average.

to the OP, maybe because some women treat short guys the way Germans once thought of Jews....as inherently inferior people. How about the attitude women give short guys. We "look like children?" **** YOU. But what you actually talk about is actually what fat chicks are like.

Short guys are usually a lot nicer people than the tall douchebags. The reason some feel like "compensating" is because you heightists treat us like an inferior race. I guess I'll always be an "uppity midget."

This just isn't true.

Maybe not in America, but fortunately I don't live in the world's wealthiest backwards country.

Many of my friends are taller than me, and I'm more experienced than anyone of them except for maybe one or two. The rest have bigger problems with women than I ever have.

I have been rejected many times, I don't ask why, I don't care why. I haven't made my height an issue, women I see don't make it an issue and I'm still able to attract nice women.

At the end of the day, having confidence and having your house in order is going to get you attention.

I would say the vast majority of women in a perfect world want a Tall man but the fact that theres more women then Men and "tall guys" are not the norm so theres not as many as average height guys most women have to settle..

Though this is a troll thread, I want to take the opportunity to point a few things out about the stereotyping of short men. I'm one--5'4"--and I don't discriminate in my dating based on height. I've had much taller girlfriends--5'10", 5'9"...--and am starting to date a great woman who's 5'7".

On the OP's comment "why do short men have such bad...........": People draw big conclusions from small numbers of samples. Has she analyzed 500 "short" (whatever that means") men or knows a few? Or has she known more than a few, but is focused in her mind on the ones with the bad traits and has ignored the other short men who don't have the negative traits (in the sciences this is called "selecting on the dependent variable")? It's like any stereotyping: you can find some examples who fit it always. Stereotype: "Women aren't as smart as men." Don't we all know some women who are idiots? Stereotype: "Jews are greedy." Yes, one can think of some Jews they know or know of who are greedy. But a few examples doesn't make the stereotype true.

The Napoleon Complex is a myth. There is no such thing as a "Napoleon Complex" in short men according to psychological research.

The picture of the overly aggressive, or hostile, obnoxious short man as the norm is false. Psychological research has shown that short men are no more aggressive/hostile/negative/obnoxious/controlling than other men. Zero difference. The one thing where a difference has been found--for short men in general, not for all short men, is that they tend to be more insecure about having their female partners cheat on them. Since short men are considered less attractive than other men by women in a broad, general sense (not by all women, not of all short men), this could make sense. Perhaps overweight or ugly women are similarly more insecure about being cheated on, so it's an attractiveness, not height, issue per se. The last bit is hypothesizing by me; I haven't seen research about it.

As false as the stereotype is, once it gets in the popular mindset (like "greedy"), people tend to believe and make note of it when they see a short man fitting the type, hence believing they've just seen proof of it. Meanwhile their mental signal for "napoleon complex" isn't rung when they see a short man not fitting the stereotype and they don't include him in their calculation of how common it is--this is "selecting on the dependent variable." And what of tall men who are aggressive/controlling/hostile/etc.? Often times they're seen as being the "leader type" for exhibiting some of those behaviors that mark a short man as having a complex about his height.

Where it came from: Famous American psychoanalyst Alfred Adler was asked for an off-the-cuff analysis of why Napoleon was the aggressive warror/trying to control and take over everything-type that he was. Adler, who'd never studied Napoleon, hence lacked expertise in him, threw out the "he was short and was overcompensating for the personal weakness he felt by becoming a control freak who wanted to be the dictator of everyone" thesis. Many decades later, we have dimwits often posting to LS about this poorly theorized "short amn complex" that Adler made up off the top of his head.

Why is it only short men's behavior gets attributed to a physical trait? Why is it that other men who exhibit the same type of controlling/aggressive behavior don't have it attributed to some physical feature of theirs? Why isn't the hehavior of everyone attributed to their physical features?

The easiest thing to do is stereotype. Leave the "short man complex" idea aside. It's a myth, hateful, and the germination of it was a ridiculous off-hand comment from someone who put no research into it. I view it as hate-speech of a sort, though applicable to not very many people compared to sexism, racism, etc.

Edited by theumlaut
I find the whole "short man complex" thing is quite the paradox. A lot of women attribute a whole slew of negative character traits to men if they have a feature that is unnattractive (whether its short stature, ugly face, etc), and then turn around and attribute a whole slew of positive character traits to guys they find attractive (tall guys, etc).

Recently a girl I am kind of seeing off and on was around my good friend who is very tall and possibly better looking than me. She kept remarking how great he was and this or that about him after meeting him for barely a few minutes once. On the other hand, my good friend who has been really nice to her for no good reason but is shorter than me and south asian, "he's weird, a loser, napoleon complex" etc.

A lot of times women think that character traits make or break a man's eligibility. It's not because it does, it's because they attribute so many good and bad character traits based on how a guy looks. A lot of guys pick up on this and start saying "no matter what I do women will think the same of me" so you have a lot of tall good looking *******s who know women will like them no matter what, and a lot of short, not so appealing shorter than average guys who are *******s too after realizing in the grander scheme of things, nothing really matters and it's very difficult to impossible to find a girl who doesn't slip up into her darwinian urges atleast once.

Yeah i noticed that too some women seem to put good looking guys on soem moral pedestal and unattractive Men get labels like creepy