Is Smoking an Addiction ?

LakesideDream

• 7 months later...
  • Author
LakesideDream

Coming up three years now and I don't even think about it. Life is pretty OK would be fantastic if there was a little more money.

Lots of other health plusses too. I've lost between 100-120 pounds without doing anything no diets, nothing. I don't take pain meds anymore unless something drastic happens, example I slipped mopping my filthy kitchen time, two Advils, in the morning I was in serious pain. I took I vicodin 500mg and laid down. The next morning I was fine. 4 years ago I was taking a perscribed 6-8 of those Vicodins a day.

Gave up Booze and nearly gave up coffee. It's a good thing overall. I feel like an only moderately used man!

• Like 2
Forever Silent

Congradulations on adding years back to your life. I am glad you kicked the cig!

• Like 1
Coming up three years now and I don't even think about it. Life is pretty OK would be fantastic if there was a little more money.

Lots of other health plusses too. I've lost between 100-120 pounds without doing anything no diets, nothing. I don't take pain meds anymore unless something drastic happens, example I slipped mopping my filthy kitchen time, two Advils, in the morning I was in serious pain. I took I vicodin 500mg and laid down. The next morning I was fine. 4 years ago I was taking a perscribed 6-8 of those Vicodins a day.

Gave up Booze and nearly gave up coffee. It's a good thing overall. I feel like an only moderately used man!

Boy.. you're cleaning house... good for you..

Life must be good then....

Thanks for the update and congrats on your successes. I recall my mother quitting cold-turkey at an age a few years younger than you after smoking since a teenager and she went on to live a very healthy life until dementia got her in her 80's. A lot of what I'm reading from you sounds familiar. Good luck. :)

Congrats on 3 years clean! I quit smoking cold-turkey as well, quite a few years ago, so I know what kind of commitment and discipline is required to stay smoke-free. Way to stick with your nutrition too!!

It's been just over 3 years for me too, I don't even think about it anymore! Well done. Good job on changing your lifestyle, imagine how much money that will save you long term in health care.

whichwayisup

Wanna pass on that inner strength to me so I can quit? I wish I could rewind the clock and not have started..

Did you quit using the patch or the gum? Or did you just go cold turkey?

Congrats Lakey. Hope all is well with you.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Congrats to all those who have quit.

Just wondered opinions on e-cigs? I just got one, and am steadily cutting down - they taste the same and are still nicotine, but Ive cut 5 cigarettes a day out since I bought it last week.

Am a heavy smoker, but this seems to be working, planning to cut down every week.

What do others think of these? I understand they arent ideal because you are still addicted to the nicotine, but in terms of them being vapor rather than smoke? I feel like Im "cheating" as it tastes really similar.

Feelin Frisky

Is another shoe gonna fall? It's been a week... is there a point where It's going to get more difficult?

Congrats on making a week. I smoked for 15 years and quitting was one of the hardest things I've ever done. It wasn't some big withdrawal drama or anything--it was just that I, like you, started smoking young and grew into an adult not remember what it was like to be grown up and not have the cigarette integrated into everything I did. I wanted to quit very badly because my throat was bothering me and I was afraid of getting cancer because I had also smoked tons of weed and hashish during my teens and 20's. But I battled for more than a year and couldn't stop. I had to change my whole life style and that kinda started without a choice when my live-in g/f of five years left me. We we having a lot of fights and every time she upset me I'd have to smoke--even light up a butt out of the garbage can with dried ketchup or gravy on it. That's how unable to cope I was without a cig when things upset me.

So, for one thing she left and that took that chance of confrontation away. I also changed jobs--going from a high pressure hustle and bustle to a laid back consulting job where I designed training programs, wrote manuals and eventually gave classroom instruction. Because I knew I would soon be giving those stand-up training sessions, I put myself on a diet and working out at night gave a new thing to occupy my time with. One thing that will destroy your success is drinking alcohol, so I didn't drink for six months. The first time I did drink I came extremely close to acting out because I didn't know what it was like to get a little buzz on without smoking. But I weathered the storm. In the months after that I was able to drink and be confident that the tobacco habit was finally over. I haven't had a cigarette since the late 1980's. So I made it out. Don't even take it for granted--you'll have cigarette dreams for the rest of your life where it will seem in your dreams that you're relapsed. It still happens to me. But I always wake up so grateful that I did not fall back into that awful and senseless addition. Best of luck.

I quit 3 months ago, and with the help of wellbutrin did it easily.

I've tried half a dozen times before (and smoked from age 15-27) and always failed. The medication made them smell/taste worse, and then I didn't care all that much when I stopped.

I still had some cravings and tough moments, but nothing like if I went cold turkey.

Is another shoe gonna fall? It's been a week... is there a point where It's going to get more difficult?

It might. I've never been a smoker. But I knew a smoker who told me their technique: rather than telling themselves they weren't allowed to smoke anymore, they told themselves, "I'm going to choose to smoke later, rather than right now." And then when "later" comes, they tell themselves the same thing.

I don't know if they ever managed to totally quit, but they went from a pack-a-day habit to a few a day. Any reduction is a good thing.