Is Smoking an Addiction ?

LakesideDream

• 3 weeks later...

I quit for 13 years. I think everyone is different but I think the first week was the hardest (most intense). In the time that followed the cravings were further in between but less intense and shorter in duration. I would say after about six weeks I was at the point where the urges were much milder and it was not an effort to get through.

The times that were the worst was if someone upset me. I wanted to smoke! lol.

I am sorry to say that during my divorce a few years ago, I started again (never do this!!!). I am still at it. About a pack a day. I want to quit again and your post is very inspiring. I will check up on your progress, and I will let you know when I have decided to take the leap again. Congrats to you! you have done something that seems impossible for most smokers. Be proud of yourself friend.:cool:

• Author
LakesideDream

Fourteen (14) weeks and counting. Still no desire to smoke. :bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

Fourteen (14) weeks and counting. Still no desire to smoke. :bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

Awesome Job! :bunny::bunny: Feel sooooo proud of yourself. You have given yourself such a great gift!:)

Mea:)

• 3 weeks later...

I quit smoking 2 weeks ago today. It was more difficult for me this time around.

I had quit for 13 years and went back to it about 3 years ago (stupid I know...was going through divorce). I do not remember the cravings being so intense the last time I quit. But, like someone else mentioned you are through the worst of it. You will still get twinges now and then but just don't allow yourself to get too bored. That is when a lot of us fall off the wagon. :o

Congrats to you!! Many people have a much harder time than you did. It is amazing it went so easily for you. It is a rewarding experience, and I hope it keeps going well for you.

And yes, the $ saved is great too.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
LakesideDream
I quit smoking 2 weeks ago today. It was more difficult for me this time around.

I had quit for 13 years and went back to it about 3 years ago (stupid I know...was going through divorce). I do not remember the cravings being so intense the last time I quit. But, like someone else mentioned you are through the worst of it. You will still get twinges now and then but just don't allow yourself to get too bored. That is when a lot of us fall off the wagon. :o

Congrats to you!! Many people have a much harder time than you did. It is amazing it went so easily for you. It is a rewarding experience, and I hope it keeps going well for you.

And yes, the $ saved is great too.:cool:

Great New... I'm still fine. Other than "body memory" reaching for a pack ocassionally when I get in the car, or finish dinner... It's like I never sucked em at all. I kinda gat a kick out of those incidences too. Reminds me that I don't have to work so hard anymore.

Congratuations on quitting again. There are a lot of reasons to give em up... all of them good.

skydiveaddict
Is another shoe gonna fall? It's been a week... is there a point where It's going to get more difficult?

Listen , quitting smoking is EASY, I must have done it a hundred times. Just kidding. I bet you're through the worst part . Chargre ahead my friend, you can do it!

LSD, Congratulations. You will not smoke again. You stopped as soon as you wanted to. You will never smoke again and you will be wealthier and will feel tons better. Good for you.

Smoking is both an addiction and a habit. The 'physical' addictive powers are there but these can mostly be overcome in a few days, and let's face it they aren't that bad really (just like a 'prod' in the stomach 20 times a day for a few days), The habit of smoking and the supposedly 'nice' things about smoking are what you have to get your head round (how many times do people say , but I enjoy smoking ?). People stop smoking when they want to. Simply really (and no I'm not trying to be smug, honest) You finally WANTED to stop so you did, good for you.

Marlena (and anyone else here who thinks they want to stop smoking but don't have the will power) - it isn't actually that much about will power. You CAN stop smoking, when and ONLY when your brain wants to. Patches, gum etc can all help get over the small withdrawal symptoms caused by the addiction but really when you have your head round it you can easily put up with these anyway , they only last a few days. Do yourself a favour, go and buy a copy of "The easy way to stop smoking" by Alan Carr (and no I'm not preaching or getting shares in the book sales) . This book, although it sounds like crass, preachy, american born again something type of stuff, is actually a brilliant book. It tells you why you smoke, why you have been lied to , and will help you stop.

I read it 8 years ago, realised that I had been hoodwinked most of my life and stopped there and then.

Now I go to the gym regularly, have more cash , smell better and am so much fitter.

Go for it, you can , honest.

• 1 month later...
  • Author
LakesideDream

Six months now. No problem, no cravings. I'm happy it's over. Sometimes I thought about the hundreds of thousands I've spent in the last 46 years on cigs... it pisses me off. Man could I use that now to live an more fruitful life.

Water under the bridge. It's done now, and I won't be starting up again.

skydiveaddict
yes, it's definitely an addiction.

What's strange though is the propensity to smoke while deployed. Then when you get back home, the urge to smoke leaves completely.

Lakeside, to be honest, I'm no longer convinced that there even is such a phenomenon as addiction.

Oh, there are definitely such things as withdrawal symptoms, and there's no question that "addicts" strongly desire what they consume ... but the word "addiction" implies a lack of control. I'm just not convinced that "addicts" lack control over what they consume.

You can't rely on self-reports to answer this question. If you ask some sh*thead junkie if he MUST HAVE his drug of choice, well of course he's going to tell you "yeah yeah man, I've GOTTA HAVE IT." Mental infants both young and old alike say they've "gotta have" a lot of stuff. Doesn't imply they're addicts, though.

The powers that be have a vested interest in keeping the idea of addiction alive. Johnny law smashing down doors to serve no-knock drug warrants would start to seem a bit less reasonable if "drug addiction" didn't actually exist.

This rabbit hole is pretty deep, but if you decide you want to take the plunge, the Rat Park Experiment is a good place to start.

• 2 weeks later...
Lakeside, to be honest, I'm no longer convinced that there even is such a phenomenon as addiction.

Oh, there are definitely such things as withdrawal symptoms, and there's no question that "addicts" strongly desire what they consume ... but the word "addiction" implies a lack of control. I'm just not convinced that "addicts" lack control over what they consume.

You can't rely on self-reports to answer this question. If you ask some sh*thead junkie if he MUST HAVE his drug of choice, well of course he's going to tell you "yeah yeah man, I've GOTTA HAVE IT." Mental infants both young and old alike say they've "gotta have" a lot of stuff. Doesn't imply they're addicts, though.

The powers that be have a vested interest in keeping the idea of addiction alive. Johnny law smashing down doors to serve no-knock drug warrants would start to seem a bit less reasonable if "drug addiction" didn't actually exist.

This rabbit hole is pretty deep, but if you decide you want to take the plunge, the Rat Park Experiment is a good place to start.

My issue with addiction research and therapy nowadays is the belief that it's all a "disease", which implies that they have no control over it whatsoever, like getting cancer or heart disease. It's pretty much been adopted as gospel now, from the DSM to most major institutions, but I refuse to buy it.

I'm a smoker, and hooked on nicotine. However if someone told me I had a disease I'd laugh at them. The alcoholic CHOOSES to pick up the bottle that first time, and for most of the times after until their body and mind becomes so accustomed to it, that it becomes an issue to stop.

AA programs help plenty, but the fact that they tell everyone "You have no control, there's nothing you can do" is a load of hooey. Plenty of people can stop by sheer force of will, and plenty can't.

I'd buy addiction as a disease if the person gets addicted to EVERYTHING, and there are some who are like that. However, why would a disease pick and choose a drug? Why just cocaine and not heroin? Why sex and not shopping?

pureinheart
I'm a life long smoker, literally since I was 12 years old 47 years ago. Two weeks ago I was smoking 4 packs of non filters a day.. sometimes more.

A week and a day ago I decided to quit. Woke up last Thursday no cigs in the house, and didn't buy any. Cold turkey, no patches, drugs, etc. I'm already on a strict diet, so no increase over 1250 cal. daily.

The first two days were difficult. Irratible, eyes hurt, felt gritty. Bad taste in the mouth, lots of phlem.

After a week (today) nothing, no desire, smiling when I realize I won't be paying $1050 a month for cigarettes. That was my purpose in quitting. I couldn't be successfully retired when I had that thousand dollar hit forcing me to work more than I wanted to.

Is another shoe gonna fall? It's been a week... is there a point where It's going to get more difficult?

Yes it is an addiction...lol...OMG, ciggs were my "friends"...I had people say I'd never quit!

Anyway, you got off really good...I went through bigtime withdrawl...my daughter wanted to when I was quitting so that she could stay away from me....ok, get this, I only inhaled to my throat, never in the lungs, but still had it bad....smoked about 1 1/2 to 2 packs a day...if I was stressed, that figure went up..

Oh and my son, when he has tried to quit, even with assistance, looks like a freaking tweeker coming down...he looks bad.

Your over the worsty...don't go back...mine will be 2 yrs July 2 at 6:00 pm.

pureinheart

My issue with addiction research and therapy nowadays is the belief that it's all a "disease", which implies that they have no control over it whatsoever, like getting cancer or heart disease. It's pretty much been adopted as gospel now, from the DSM to most major institutions, but I refuse to buy it.

I'm a smoker, and hooked on nicotine. However if someone told me I had a disease I'd laugh at them. The alcoholic CHOOSES to pick up the bottle that first time, and for most of the times after until their body and mind becomes so accustomed to it, that it becomes an issue to stop.

AA programs help plenty, but the fact that they tell everyone "You have no control, there's nothing you can do" is a load of hooey. Plenty of people can stop by sheer force of will, and plenty can't.

I'd buy addiction as a disease if the person gets addicted to EVERYTHING, and there are some who are like that. However, why would a disease pick and choose a drug? Why just cocaine and not heroin? Why sex and not shopping?

These are excellent replies...I think I will change my stance and say I don't know if it is truely an addiction....I am leaning towards you guys being right...thank you for this eye opener....

pureinheart
What's strange though is the propensity to smoke while deployed. Then when you get back home, the urge to smoke leaves completely.

The director of the co I retired from smoked everytime crunch came to deliver a vehicle. Work/stress=ciggs

pureinheart

I read this and am convinced...ok gonna parrot this back to see if I got it....no offence to the "poster" Got it...(a bit of LS humor) anyway...basically once the stressor is removed desire ceases? This is how I see it and believe it because I have lived it. Thank you again...and yes "addiction" does fund MANY other entities, actually more than we realise.

• 1 month later...
  • Author
LakesideDream

Just checking in.... still not smoking, zero, nada, not a one. It's a good feeling too! :bunny: Thanks for all your advice.

Just checking in.... still not smoking, zero, nada, not a one. It's a good feeling too! :bunny: Thanks for all your advice.

Congratulations on quitting smoking! My H has been trying to quit for a long time. The longest he's gone without smoking is 4 days. :o

• 3 months later...
  • Author
LakesideDream

It's been a few days over a year now without a cigarette. They are a part of my past... 46 years smoking, 4+ packs a day to Zero in 8 hrs.

I am blessed.

Feelin Frisky
so now are you going to become one of those ultra-militant-anti-smoking-nazis?

I found it necessary and correct to be one after quitting. I can't tell you how many cigarette dreams I've had where I still smoke and wonder how and when did this terrible scourge renter my life. I always wake up to find that I have nothing to fear and that this horrible affliction is truly over. If I were wishy washy in any way, perhaps I would have yielded.

My advice to the OP is to not drink any alcohol, if that is something he does, for about 6 months. A person has to experience all of their pleasures without the familiar props of tobacco smoke. In my effort to quit more than a decade ago, the only real challenge that came after the first few weeks was having some drinks. I didn't know how to enjoy a drink without a cig and drinking lowers the ability to control such impulse. I'm sure this has been the critical slippery slope for a lot of persons beside me. Ignore if it doesn't apply.

Disillusioned
yes, it's definitely an addiction.

ANYTHING that feels good can become an addiction. It doesn't even have to be a substance... just ask any compulsive gambler.