Is Smoking an Addiction ?

LakesideDream

I'm a life long smoker, literally since I was 12 years old 47 years ago. Two weeks ago I was smoking 4 packs of non filters a day.. sometimes more.

A week and a day ago I decided to quit. Woke up last Thursday no cigs in the house, and didn't buy any. Cold turkey, no patches, drugs, etc. I'm already on a strict diet, so no increase over 1250 cal. daily.

The first two days were difficult. Irratible, eyes hurt, felt gritty. Bad taste in the mouth, lots of phlem.

After a week (today) nothing, no desire, smiling when I realize I won't be paying $1050 a month for cigarettes. That was my purpose in quitting. I couldn't be successfully retired when I had that thousand dollar hit forcing me to work more than I wanted to.

Is another shoe gonna fall? It's been a week... is there a point where It's going to get more difficult?

NO way...you had to have been smoking a little less than a carton a day? Unless you bought them by the pack at about 6-7 $ a pack...wow you were as addicted as I was...good deal LSD....BTW are your initials intended????? LSD...you know ....Dr Timothy Leary....hahahahaha....the walls are melting:lmao:

Lakeside, to be honest, I'm no longer convinced that there even is such a phenomenon as addiction.

Oh, there are definitely such things as withdrawal symptoms, and there's no question that "addicts" strongly desire what they consume ... but the word "addiction" implies a lack of control. I'm just not convinced that "addicts" lack control over what they consume.

You can't rely on self-reports to answer this question. If you ask some sh*thead junkie if he MUST HAVE his drug of choice, well of course he's going to tell you "yeah yeah man, I've GOTTA HAVE IT." Mental infants both young and old alike say they've "gotta have" a lot of stuff. Doesn't imply they're addicts, though.

The powers that be have a vested interest in keeping the idea of addiction alive. Johnny law smashing down doors to serve no-knock drug warrants would start to seem a bit less reasonable if "drug addiction" didn't actually exist.

This rabbit hole is pretty deep, but if you decide you want to take the plunge, the Rat Park Experiment is a good place to start.

My issue with addiction research and therapy nowadays is the belief that it's all a "disease", which implies that they have no control over it whatsoever, like getting cancer or heart disease. It's pretty much been adopted as gospel now, from the DSM to most major institutions, but I refuse to buy it.

I'm a smoker, and hooked on nicotine. However if someone told me I had a disease I'd laugh at them. The alcoholic CHOOSES to pick up the bottle that first time, and for most of the times after until their body and mind becomes so accustomed to it, that it becomes an issue to stop.

AA programs help plenty, but the fact that they tell everyone "You have no control, there's nothing you can do" is a load of hooey. Plenty of people can stop by sheer force of will, and plenty can't.

I'd buy addiction as a disease if the person gets addicted to EVERYTHING, and there are some who are like that. However, why would a disease pick and choose a drug? Why just cocaine and not heroin? Why sex and not shopping?

En and Skump, just wanted to tell you guys thanks as I think it was your conversation on another thread that helped with understanding the lack of addiction....I'm now off of caffeine...was major into caffeine. This theory really made all of the difference:)

I have yet to beat the space case thing though....looks like I replied a lot in this thread a few months ago...oh well, it must have been the caffeine....BTW, congrats LSD....and read further, 4 packs +....should I apologize for the space case thing?

Edited by pureinheart
caitlinrose053

I think it is a habit easily broken. People who want to break the habit of calling an addiction as an excuse to continue. Change the habit of chewing on toothpicks, and they will give you the same comfort after a few weeks or less.

Quitting smokeing is a tough thing to do for most people...........although for some reason, women seem to have an easier time of it (at least the ones I have known) than men. Don't know why that is?

Myself, it took three attempts over a period of two years befor it stuck........been smoke free for 7 3/4 years now and loving it!

• Author
NO way...you had to have been smoking a little less than a carton a day? Unless you bought them by the pack at about 6-7 $ a pack...wow you were as addicted as I was...good deal LSD....BTW are your initials intended????? LSD...you know ....Dr Timothy Leary....hahahahaha....the walls are melting:lmao:

My cigarettes cost me $78.50 a carton, I only bought cartons.

• 2 weeks later...

I smoke but I am not truly addicted, or so I believe.

It can take me anywhere from 3 days to a week and a half to finish a back. And I only finish them in 3 days if I am having a lot of anxiety and chain smoke.

I mainly smoke when driving or drinking in a social setting. But there are times when I have smoked enough to cause myself a cough.

I really want to stop myself completely because bad lungs run in the family and apparently mine are really sensitive to cigs. I could stop if I wanted to but sometimes I just impulsively buy them. And I don't know why I smoke them because half the time they actually make me feel like crap.

I smoke but I am not truly addicted, or so I believe.

It can take me anywhere from 3 days to a week and a half to finish a back. And I only finish them in 3 days if I am having a lot of anxiety and chain smoke.

I mainly smoke when driving or drinking in a social setting. But there are times when I have smoked enough to cause myself a cough.

I really want to stop myself completely because bad lungs run in the family and apparently mine are really sensitive to cigs. I could stop if I wanted to but sometimes I just impulsively buy them. And I don't know why I smoke them because half the time they actually make me feel like crap.

The very definition of addiction I suppose....

The very definition of addiction I suppose....

Then perhaps I may be more addicted than I first realized.

But sometimes I can go a couple days without having them and have no desire to even smoke one. I think I should take advantage of this and try to quit but haven't done so yet.

skydiveaddict
Then perhaps I may be more addicted than I first realized.

But sometimes I can go a couple days without having them and have no desire to even smoke one. I think I should take advantage of this and try to quit but haven't done so yet.

I've posted this elsewhere but will do so again for your benefit. When ever I get deployed (Iraq or Afghanistan), I smoke like a chimney.. Probably two packs a day. But when I get back home, I lose ALL desire for them. I don't know why that is but it is true. So I wonder how truly addictive cigarettes are? Could it be because of stress levels? Or the fact that everyone else over there smokes too? Or both/ i dont know

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a life long smoker, literally since I was 12 years old 47 years ago. Two weeks ago I was smoking 4 packs of non filters a day.. sometimes more.

A week and a day ago I decided to quit. Woke up last Thursday no cigs in the house, and didn't buy any. Cold turkey, no patches, drugs, etc. I'm already on a strict diet, so no increase over 1250 cal. daily.

The first two days were difficult. Irratible, eyes hurt, felt gritty. Bad taste in the mouth, lots of phlem.

After a week (today) nothing, no desire, smiling when I realize I won't be paying $1050 a month for cigarettes. That was my purpose in quitting. I couldn't be successfully retired when I had that thousand dollar hit forcing me to work more than I wanted to.

Is another shoe gonna fall? It's been a week... is there a point where It's going to get more difficult?

First 10 days are the hardest. After 1 month it's easier. However you will get the occasional craving, especially if you see a friend smoke, or get stressed, or someone offers you a cigarette. That's when it's easy to relapse.

Key to beating relapses is just get back on track as soon as you notice yourself doing it. Aim for perfection even if you probably will take a few tries to get there.

I've posted this elsewhere but will do so again for your benefit. When ever I get deployed (Iraq or Afghanistan), I smoke like a chimney.. Probably two packs a day. But when I get back home, I lose ALL desire for them. I don't know why that is but it is true. So I wonder how truly addictive cigarettes are? Could it be because of stress levels? Or the fact that everyone else over there smokes too? Or both/ i dont know

Both. Stress triggers comforting/coping mechanisms. "Pleasurable" habits like smoking are included in that, they are a familiar comfort and the nicotine high helps you deal with stress, along with the whole motion of lighting up etc. Look at any addict - they always indulge when stressed.

Peer influence also matters, for obvious reasons.

Edited by Joe Normal
  • 2 months later...
  • Author
LakesideDream

Smoking and nicotine (along with other chemicals) have a lot of physical effects. It's an "enhancer" a cig helps you go to sleep, ditto wake up in the morning. It's a tranquilizer when you are stressed, and a pep me up when you are tired or fatigued.

As far as I know science isn't sure how this works, brain chemistry being in it's early stages. I can attest that it's true. I'm Cig free for a year and a half now and I notice the differences.

The most common thing is the smell of smoke. I had "quit" before, sometimes for up to six months. During those "quits" I had never been able to smell others smoking or who smoked. After six months this time I can smell cigarette smoke when the driver or passenger in the car next to me at a stoplight is smoking !

No I haven't turned into a "smoke nazi" I have never said a word to a smoker. I believe it's a personal choice, if they enjoy it and can afford it good for them. Yes I visit friends who smoke, and ride in their cars. The biggest difference is I don't let anyone under 85 smoke in my car (I have one friend, who is very old, and a lifelong smoker who I can't deny).

If you want to quit... do it. I feel much better now. My breathing has improved, and I have saved a boatload of money !

• Like 1

If you want to quit... do it. I feel much better now. My breathing has improved, and I have saved a boatload of money !

How about an update about you and your lady friend? Are you in contact with her at all?

Feelin Frisky

You will face challenges that you don't yet realize. People who have smoked for so long have to learn how to do all of their life functions without smoking integrated into them all over again. To me the biggest challenge was drinking. I was able to stop smoking for a few months but the first time I had some alcohol I did not know how to live without a smoke. I had to tough that out and almost slipped the first time. I'm so gladl I didn't slip and smoking is history for me.

Another thing that triggered my smoking was having spats with my SO. But luckily I started my attempt at quitting after we had separated for good. There were no spats any more. But when I was with her as soon as something would go wrong and we started to argue I'd smoke any butt I could get my hands on--even going into my garbage can and lighting up some butt that had ketchup and creamed corn on it.

Yes, it's an addition. A filthy low down scourge that society turns its back to just because it is so prevalent they can't treat it properly. Kill it before it kills you. Good luck and watch those routines that you haven't experienced yet without smoking. Don't ever give in. You'll be out of the woods in few months.

• 3 weeks later...
Smoking and nicotine (along with other chemicals) have a lot of physical effects. It's an "enhancer" a cig helps you go to sleep, ditto wake up in the morning. It's a tranquilizer when you are stressed, and a pep me up when you are tired or fatigued.

We need an update on you and your lady. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author
LakesideDream

Fifteen months without a cigarette. That ship has sailed. The lady is fine. I'm still moving forward best I can.

I smoked my last cigarette the day I found out I was pregnant. I knew I could never smoke one puff ever again if I didn't want to get hooked again.

Fifteen months without a cigarette. That ship has sailed. The lady is fine. I'm still moving forward best I can.

Do you still talk to her or meet with her since you're only few miles away?

Wow, good for you, especially being you started smoking so young and so long.

• 1 month later...
  • Author
LakesideDream

Actually it's 19 months without a cigarette. I miscalculated on the last post. I cannot see ever smoking again. The idea of buying a pack of cigs is beyond silly.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Author
LakesideDream

Another month passed, no cigarettes. I've been blessed.

Ginger Beer

Quitting smoking is actually pretty easy. The hard part is not smoking when drunk. I can't do this, so I don't drink often.

I drink once every 3 months or so, and smoke about 5 cigs on that night. If I didn't drink, I'd never smoke.

• 8 months later...
  • Author
LakesideDream

Over two years, actually 27 months without cigarettes now. :bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny: I logged on to find out when I quit. Luck to everyone.