Is Smoking an Addiction ?

LakesideDream

Mea, It's been nine plus days now. Honestly I thought it was over two weeks. I had to check my journal.. anyhow, I can feel that the chain is broken. I was a VERY heavy smoker, and I'm still feeling a little physical withdrawl, mostly soreness behind the eyes (typical) but it's not a problem.

And you will feel a touch off for a while. I know on day 7 when I quit, I was in full blown tantrum mode. I cried like a big baby, because I missed those darn cancer sticks:(. I also felt sort of lightheaded. But, it all passed.:)

I've quit a few times over the years, this is the first time I did it because I wanted to quit... not the exW, not a doc.... blah blah. I wanted to quit.

And this is why it will work for you now, because you want it. In oder to put an addiction to bed, you must want it!I wish you all the best with your smoke free life. YOU can do it!:bunny:

Mea;)

YES...smoking is an addiction. It is very physically and psychologically addicting. It is one of the hardest drugs to quit.

Think about it...a substance that is legal..and that you can take multiple hits of a day. I have clients that can kick heroin...but not nicotine. It is very impressive that you went cold turkey...you are one strong brother.

As for the dieting. I have found that it is easier to adopt a healthy lifestyle then it is to diet. Stick to whole foods...nothing processed. It can become difficult if you restrict certain food groups.

Good luck my man.

• Author
LakesideDream

I'm still doing fine, with no side effects other than having more money. There are a few times a day when "habit" surfaces. Talking on the phone, or driving the car are two things. The memory trigger is over in a second or two. Frankly it feels geat to be in control. I don't feel compelled to smoke anymore. There is much more value for me in protecting what I have accomplished. It seems senseless to risk it for a hit or two of nicotine (plus I remember how bad that first pack tastes!).

And....... just for fun ..... Who says old dogs can't learn new tricks? Doing something I couldn't do at 35, and doing it successfully is delicious.

Edited by LakesideDream

That's great Lake!!! What an amazing accomplishment! I bet it feels like turning back the clock, like Benjamin Button!!

Like you said more oxygen, more energy to enjoy all the wonderful things in life!!

I haven't even started yet. I mean, I have cut down a bit but still.....

Good job I have tried a few times and failed I am going to try again.You should take the extra money and buy something you want you deserve

the reward.Again great job!

If you find yourself going on a long car ride, and the psychological trigger hits, a bag of carrots cut into long strips will give your hands something to fiddle with, as well placating the oral fixation.

Worked for a friend of mine.Hope it helps, and congratulations.:)

• Author
LakesideDream
That's great Lake!!! What an amazing accomplishment! I bet it feels like turning back the clock, like Benjamin Button!!

Like you said more oxygen, more energy to enjoy all the wonderful things in life!!

I haven't even started yet. I mean, I have cut down a bit but still.....

No advice from me Marlena, I just decided to quit before going to bed one night, and woke up the next morning feeling the same way. Haven't had a cigarette since. Don't care either. I must have "cut down" a hundred times over the years. I tried the patch... and the gum. Blah blah.

In the end, I was done when I was done. Tired of being descriminated against. Tired of limiting my relationship possibilities. Tired of spending a huge percentage of my income on my habit. The cost of smoking doubled for me in 2 years. In addition moving to a state with higher taxes... the taxes have gone way up. Cigs cost me $7.50 a pack purchased in quanities. 4 packs a day = $30.00 a day. That's a pretty good heroin, meth, or crack habit... ridictulous.

Good job quitting. I'm 43 and smoked since I was 13. I quit close to 2 yrs ago.

It was the easies thing I ever did because I made up my mind.

Keep up the good work.

Oh and yes, even though I'm an avid gym buff and healthy eater, I gained weight when I quit

• Author
LakesideDream

A couple of days over 3 weeks now without smoking. The other shoe hasn't dropped, I'm OK without cigarettes. Much harder to be faithful to weightloss. But that's OK too.

I quit about six months ago... but I used Champix (Chantix in the States). Magic stuff! I used to smoke 40/day... it does get easier, believe me... I don't crave cigarettes at all, now... they are just out of my life, forever!

My stats, since 22nd of April...

Cigarettes not smoked: 6853.87

Money saved: £1942.24

Time: 6 months, 5 days, 1 hr

PS: I'm on a diet as well, and it's much harder! Food, eh? I put a bit of weight on since I quit and I'm trying to lose it!

After a week (today) nothing, no desire, smiling when I realize I won't be paying $1050 a month for cigarettes.

WOW!!! I had no idea. I've never smoked, but the last time I had any consciousness of the price was looking at a cigarette machine in a restaurant for 0.50/pack... Clearly that was quite a while back...

Good job, LSD. I'm glad it is working for you.

indeed, us smokers are a dying breed.

Heh heh, I'm assuming the double entendre was intended...

Smoking is an addiction. However, addictions are complicated and play differently with different people. You're not the frist smoker ever to just walk away. However, I think you are part of a small minority.

• Author
LakesideDream
Smoking is an addiction. However, addictions are complicated and play differently with different people. You're not the frist smoker ever to just walk away. However, I think you are part of a small minority.

I don't disagree. I have tried to quit smoking many times over the decades. Each time with different amounts of discomfort, all serious, none successfully.

This time for reasons I cannot explain rationally it's been much easier. All I can do is thank gawd.

• Author
LakesideDream

Still no cig's, not even one puff. I'm sure I'm done with them now. I'm not sure why it was so easy to go from 4 packs a day, non-filters to zero literally overnight.... but I'm very greatful.

burning 4 revenge

Jesus Christ man

I can only handle 4-5 cigarettes a day...with filters.....

I cant believe youre still alive, you need to donate your body to science

Still no cig's, not even one puff. I'm sure I'm done with them now. I'm not sure why it was so easy to go from 4 packs a day, non-filters to zero literally overnight.... but I'm very greatful.

Same here.. the last puff.. in 1993 .. after a zillion previous attempts.

I'm sooo happy for you.. LSD.. you will see a big difference in your health/apprearance. etc..

How long now?

burning 4 revenge

Maybe you have almost no functioning alveoli left in your lungs to absorb the nicotine into your capillaries

• Author
LakesideDream
Same here.. the last puff.. in 1993 .. after a zillion previous attempts.

I'm sooo happy for you.. LSD.. you will see a big difference in your health/apprearance. etc..

How long now?

Six weeks tomorrow. Still no desire for coffin nails.

Life is getting better.

Lakeside I feel the biggest step for you was you wanted to quit......

Most people say they want to but really deep down didn't want to quit. You realize what it is costing you & have just made a choice to not pay for them anymore.

For some people it is a lot harder so count your blessing it has been so easy for you.

I know people that have quit many years ago & still get a craving once in a while but resist the temptation.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Very proud of anyone that can stop such a bad habit.

• 1 month later...
  • Author
LakesideDream

I guess I've made it. No cig's and no desire to start smoking again. Life is good.

I guess I've made it. No cig's and no desire to start smoking again. Life is good.

Congrats LSD...:bunny:

Life is good... what an accomplishment...