Saying cheating is biological is not an excuse

Trialbyfire
Err no, if humans were naturally monogamous. WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE CHEAT? Espeically when people like you will flame and judge them, and make them feel bad for it?

You don't have any understanding of biology or evolution. All you have is a set of incorrect opinions you've formed with inaccurate information.

I'm old enough to have seen enough people like you. Self righteous, stubborn, ignorant, and think whatever you think is the holygrail, even when information is provided from experts that show you're wrong.

I've yet to see you link any expert opinion beyond wikipedia. It's difficult for me to not laugh at someone who keeps citing expert opinions but never produces. If you just stated that these were your opinions, since they obviously are, it wouldn't be quite so weak and pathetic.

Once again, how old are you?

• Author
I've yet to see you link any expert opinion beyond wikipedia. It's difficult for me to not laugh at someone who keeps citing expert opinions but never produces. If you just stated that these were your opinions, since they obviously are, it wouldn't be quite so weak and pathetic.

Once again, how old are you?

I've been on many internet forums, and a person losing a debate will always say wiki is a bad source of information. Whilst wiki is a "lazy" source of info it is in fact a great summary of information because it already cites and links references.

It's not incorrect information, it just saves time so you don't have to dig out a dozen pieces of research, read them all and quote a couple of lines.

You however don't know squat about biology, psychology or evolution. Simply because you don't even know the difference between instinct being past on genetically and learned behavior not being past on.

It's the most basic evolutionary concept, even a highschool biology student that learns about evolution will be taught that.

How old are you? 5?

Trialbyfire

I'm really tired of this e-penis argument so let's get back to logical discussion.

Your OPINION is that cheating is an instinctual behaviour, otherwise, why would so many people cheat.

Using this same logic, I guess that means that car accidents are instinctual behaviour, otherwise, why would so many people have car accidents?

• Author
I'm really tired of this e-penis argument so let's get back to logical discussion.

Your OPINION is that cheating is an instinctual behaviour, otherwise, why would so many people cheat.

Using this same logic, I guess that means that car accidents are instinctual behaviour, otherwise, why would so many people have car accidents?

That comparison of course is totally retarded. You might as well use " a flood killed someone and therefore getting killed in floods is instinctual". It's totally irrelvant and not even behavioral, I mean you even used the word ACCIDENT, even people that don't think cheating is biological will find that comparison ridiculous.

Find a better comparison, you're showing your ignorance more and more.

Trialbyfire
That comparison of course is totally retarded. You might as well use " a flood killed someone and therefore getting killed in floods is instinctual". It's totally irrelvant and not even behavioral, I mean you even used the word ACCIDENT, even people that don't think cheating is biological will find that comparison ridiculous.

Find a better comparison, you're showing your ignorance more and more.

Rise above your insults for one post.

Car accidents are a result of human behaviours, some instinctual, others not. For example, aggression is instinctual behaviour.

Cheating is a result of human behaviours, some instinctual, others not. For example, the drive to mate, is instinctual behaviour.

Agree or disagree.

Hi.P.O'Crit

The Myth of Monogamy: Fidelity and Infidelity in Animals and People

Goes into a lot of discussion about cheating in supposedly seasonally monogamous species. Bringing it up because someone mentioned monogamy as a necessity for species survival.

• Author
Rise above your insults for one post.

Car accidents are a result of human behaviours, some instinctual, others not. For example, aggression is instinctual behaviour.

Cheating is a result of human behaviours, some instinctual, others not. For example, the drive to mate, is instinctual behaviour.

Agree or disagree.

Agression is instinctual, so is lust.

But you just said part of the reason for car accidents is instinctual. Tell me, which part of driving into an oncoming car is instinctual? Wow, It's not about insults. It's a fact your arguement is getting stupid.

Trialbyfire
Agression is instinctual, so is lust.

But you just said part of the reason for car accidents is instinctual. So it's instinctual to drive into an oncoming car! Wow, It's not about insults. It's a fact your arguement is getting stupid.

There are many reasons why car accidents happen, as well as many reasons why cheating happens. Not all car accidents happen due to aggressive driving, just like not all cheating happens due to the need to mate.

Can you not see this logic, instead of insulting me because you're unable to?

• Author
The Myth of Monogamy: Fidelity and Infidelity in Animals and People

Goes into a lot of discussion about cheating in supposedly seasonally monogamous species. Bringing it up because someone mentioned monogamy as a necessity for species survival.

Yeah well so many animals of monogamous species cheat. According to many people on this thread, they obviously learnt it. It's not biologically driven at all.........

Many birds for one do it. The Cuckoo which is mongamous is famous for a reason. Of course, the cuckoo only cheats because it watches TV and learns to cheat of bad bad people!

• Author
There are many reasons why car accidents happen, as well as many reasons why cheating happens. Not all car accidents happen due to aggressive driving, just like not all cheating happens due to the need to mate.

Can you not see this logic, instead of insulting me because you're unable to?

You still haven't explained. Which part of car accidents is instinctual?

Like, when our caveman ancestors didn't have cars, which part of their brain developed to instinctively have car accidents?

I don't know where people get this because I have never had the urge to stray. I can look at a woman and see she is attractive but that is as far as it goes. Some people are just not built for relationships and instead of commting to people only to betray them they need to be honest and just play around.

• Author
I don't know where people get this because I have never had the urge to stray. I can look at a woman and see she is attractive but that is as far as it goes. Some people are just not built for relationships and instead of commting to people only to betray them they need to be honest and just play around.

Again not all behaviors spreads across a species.

Do you feel so much aggression you punch people that make you angry? Some people are in jail though for doing that.

Trialbyfire
You still haven't explained. Which part of car accidents is instinctual?

Like, when our caveman ancestors didn't have cars, which part of their brain developed to instinctively have car accidents?

Aggressive behaviour/driving, fear, anger, all kinds of instinctual behaviours, reliant on the type of car accident.

Did you know that not all forms of cheating, include intercourse or physical contact?

• Author
Aggressive behaviour/driving, fear, anger, all kinds of instinctual behaviours, reliant on the type of car accident.

Did you know that not all forms of cheating, include intercourse or physical contact?

That's funny, you think most people have accidents because of road rage. Therefore car accidents happen because of instinct. Great logic........

I think the average person in this world knows that car accidents are not instinctive. They're simply accidents, or a result of carelessness or drinking.

Your reasoning has gone to a new level.......not a good one though.

Again not all behaviors spreads across a species.

Do you feel so much aggression you punch people that make you angry? Some people are in jail though for doing that.

I used to get into bar fights quite often but I dealt with my anger issues and I am much more at peace person today. I think that some people cheat because of issues that stem from whatever but they need to deal with that and seek counseling if need be. It doesn't make it right to drag an innocent person into it.

• Author
I used to get into bar fights quite often but I dealt with my anger issues and I am much more at peace person today. I think that some people cheat because of issues that stem from whatever but they need to deal with that and seek counseling if need be. It doesn't make it right to drag an innocent person into it.

Oh good then it's easier to relate.

Your anger issues wasn't something society taught you, if anything society frowns upon loss of control of anger. It was part of your biology giving you that drive, and if anything you learnt to control your biology.

It's the same way with cheating. Not all people feel the need to cheat, and society certainly doesn't encourage it.

It's not right, I never said it was. All I said was that the original drive to do it was biological.

Trialbyfire
That's funny, you think most people have accidents because of road rage. Therefore car accidents happen because of instinct. Great logic........

I think the average person in this world knows that car accidents are not instinctive. They're simply accidents, or a result of carelessness or drinking.

Your reasoning has gone to a new level.......not a good one though.

I give up. Your vision is painfully narrow.

• Author
I give up. Your vision is painfully narrow.

Yeah I'm sorry if I disagree I inherited the instinct to plow my car into an oncoming truck. Even more sorry you think that means my vision is narrow.

Maybe you're just plain wrong and made a stupid arguement that even a teenager would pick faults with?

Oh good then it's easier to relate.

Your anger issues wasn't something society taught you, if anything society frowns upon loss of control of anger. It was part of your biology giving you that drive, and if anything you learnt to control your biology.

It's the same way with cheating. Not all people feel the need to cheat, and society certainly doesn't encourage it.

It's not right, I never said it was. All I said was that the original drive to do it was biological.

My anger issues resulted from being abused and feeling like the world was spitting on me so I would strike back. Once I learned that it got me nowhere I started the process of getting them under control.

Some people just can't be faithful but many people cheat because they are scared of a healthy relationship and that is usually because they have never seen one.

• Author
My anger issues resulted from being abused and feeling like the world was spitting on me so I would strike back. Once I learned that it got me nowhere I started the process of getting them under control.

Some people just can't be faithful but many people cheat because they are scared of a healthy relationship and that is usually because they have never seen one.

Being abused certainly brings out more anger at the world. But anger and aggression is something that naturally exists in humans. We don't have to be taught it, just like we don't have to be taught to love, lust, to feel jealousy, etc. They are all primal and exist in all of us.

I disagree though with the arguement that people cheat because they are scared of a healthy relationship. There are people that cheat because of lust, and people that cheat because they are unhappy. Those are the most common social reasons.

But when behaviors even exist in human beings they tend to have a combination of biological and social drives. However, when social drives tries to suppress a behavior, such as cheating or aggreession, and it still exist then you know the roots are clearly biological.

Hi.P.O'Crit

People cheat for a variety of reasons including fear. Normally that's self destructive behavior, fear of the unknown.

People cheat for a variety of reasons including fear. Normally that's self destructive behavior' date=' fear of the unknown.[/quote']

This simple/short post pretty much sums up all human behaviour.

Humans are ruled by fear, which is instictual, biological and runs through every cell in your body.

• Author

Humans are ruled by fear, which is instictual, biological and runs through every cell in your body.

All human behavior?

Animals are only partly driven by fear. There are many drivers of behaviors.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, hearing that makes me sorry for those on which your statement fits.

harmfulsweetz

The human species isn't programmed to be monogomous. I think monogomy is something society feeds us to limit spread of STIs, and create a controllable, social norm. Oh well.

It is primal, the urge to have sex, is cheating biological? I'm not sure, because if it were, the figures would sky high for it. I remember reading that infidelity is genetic though. It's something like you are twice as likely to cheat if your parents have/do than if they don't, because there's a genetic link up. I've dug up the article.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Health/Unfaithfulness-infidelity-men-woman-genes-marriage/Article/200809115091928?lpos=Health_Article_Related_Content_Region_5&lid=ARTICLE_15091928_Unfaithfulness%2C_infidelity%2C_men%2C_woman%2C_genes%2C_marriage

New research has found that the same gene that affects a rodent's ability to mate for life may affect human marriages.

In tests, men carrying a common variation of a gene involved in brain signalling were more likely to be in unhappy marriages than men with the other version.

The team at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden said they are not sure what impact the genes have on a man's behaviour - but some other research suggests it has to do with the ability to communicate and empathize.

We never looked at infidelity in our study at all. What we have been focusing on is how strongly men bond to their partners.

Professor Hasse Walum - Karolinska Institute, Sweden

Professor Hasse Walum's team was spurred to take on the study after previous research showing a genetic difference in voles that seemed to explain why one species formed strong pair bonds for life, while another mated promiscuously.

"Maybe this same gene will affect humans," Prof Walum said.

The gene concerned is AVPR1A, and it affects a brain chemical called neuropeptide arginine vasopressin. It mostly affects blood pressure through the body's ability to retain water.

Studies in humans, have shown certain variations of AVPR1A are linked with aggression, age at first sexual intercourse and altruism.

One study suggested a link with autism, which affects the ability to interact socially, while another showed over-activation of the amygdala, the brain's emotional centre.

The latest research found men with a gene variant, or allele, known as 334 earned low scores on their partner bonding scale, and were less likely to be married at all.

Men carrying two copies of 334 were twice as likely to have had a marital crisis in the past year - their wives were much more likely to be dissatisfied with their marriage.

It's not directly linked to infidelity, but it's interesting reading that they found that quite a few relationship woes could be down to nature after all.