Your Views on Religion?

lol - sweety, how was i to know? you threw out all us babies with the bathwater. ok:

<soothe> <soothe> <cajole> <soothe>

let's take a deep breath. no need to get upset. it's all just font. take it as as homage that people want to understand and suss out your posts, it means there is something worthwhile about them. synthesis is the goal of an credible debate, not agreement.

if you are sure of yourself, no one can upset you.

no hard feelings, luv, if it is too upsetting, then i consider the matter dropped with you and we won't mention it again.

VASH THE STAMPEDE

It was not blockhead I was accused BY SOH of trying to revert....I'M REALLY SERIOUS, YOU PEOPLE CAN'T PAY ATTENTION THE DETAILS..

I'M THE FUC*K OUT OF HERE......NO MORE .......NEVER AGAIN.

I’m not trying to convert anybody.

There are many different interpretations of the Bible. I’m just challenging novascade.

VASH THE STAMPEDE, just relax. Don’t take it personally. He can say what he wants to say. Who cares?

um..er...ok.. <surprised undersmile>

<flipping quickly through debate club rules for precedent..ah..here we go. yelling only makes the opponent appear more reasonable regardless of the caliber of the premise or contention in play>

I figured that the blockhead thing is my fault ,I fix it thas why it not there.

I'm new at this

Why the challeng

novascade

so you belive in God and know what a sin is,

cause it is written if you don't know what is a sin, how then can it be counted against you.

Don't know if its word for word.Its not belive when it is in the book.

That was a question.

I also disagree with some of your statements.

I admit, you are sticking to the original topic.

:) This is my 100th post. Thank you!!!

<off topic>

happy postday, senior!

:bunny::bunny::bunny:

<now you get a discount on italics and underlining, and you're allowed to use bold more ;) >

Its in the bible how if you don't know can God counted against you,

if he did that would be an unjust act, if God is just how can that be?

just means justice or of justice

wich ones do you disagree with

Like I said before, the bible has many authors with different agendas, and they are targeting different audiences.

Tell me, who has a problem with meat?

Who has a problem with a divorce?

Different authors have different beliefs.

Hey that is why you stick to the king James version,

the original and nothing else,

thats why we have over 3000 religion out of one book,

people try to change it to there image that why,

its up to you what to believe in.Any thing else.

The only problem is that there is no empirical evidence. How many planets, other than our own, were proven to have life? This requires faith.

It requires no faith at all. Life that may exist elsewhere exists whether I believe it or not. You must also remember that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. My stance is based on the numerical probability of it...and that I refuse to be so pompous as to assert myself as the sole life in this universe. Cosmology is very humbling.

I’m sure that most of us adopted it from our parents.

Invalid response. Person X holding a given belief does not tell me anything about why YOU hold the belief.

Why am I still a Christian? Faith.

Invalid response - circular. You believe in Christianity because you have faith....in Christianity. Your statement has no meaning.

I believe we are looking for what the motivation was for that choice.

the king James version is the original translation,

but authors and churches try to put there would be opinion in them

thus confusion and 3000+ religion of one man

I think we need to put together The Collected Writings of Tony :)

('The Prefect'?)

And they said speak to us of religion:

:)

Ryan

It requires no faith at all. Life that may exist elsewhere exists whether I believe it or not. You must also remember that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. My stance is based on the numerical probability of it...and that I refuse to be so pompous as to assert myself as the sole life in this universe. Cosmology is very humbling.

There is uncertainty in statistics. For simplicity, let’s assume that the number of planets with life is a bell shaped curve on the interval of [1, (# of planets in the universe)]. The probability that only one planet has life. The same can be said about there being two or up to (# of planets in the universe) planets with life. In this sense, we are both correct. The next question is “who is closer to the actual number.” You can say that more than one planet has life. Great. That covers the whole interval, but it proves nothing.

I can argue that the model is bad, and you can argue that it is good. There is no evidence so there is no decisive conclusion.

Ryan

You must also remember that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Faith

3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs

We may never be able to prove that life exists on other worlds.

I think you are a very religious man.

Do you know the statistical probability that God does exist? Let’s make it a normalized distribution with negative infinity meaning God does not exist, and positive infinity meaning God does exist. Would you be on either extreme?

There is no evidence so there is no decisive conclusion.

Which is my whole point....I'm not concluding anything. That's the difference between us.

Do you know the statistical probability that God does exist? Let’s make it a normalized distribution with negative infinity meaning God does not exist, and positive infinity meaning God does exist. Would you be on either extreme?

I wouldn't....but another excellent example of poor scope (and invalid application of a statistical model).

You have but one god in your schema. I need thousands in mine, since I'd certainly have to consider all of the gods worshipped by man. One endpoint would be no gods and the other would be all gods.

Ryan

I wouldn't....but another excellent example of poor scope (and invalid application of a statistical model).

You have but one god in your schema. I need thousands in mine, since I'd certainly have to consider all of the gods worshipped by man. One endpoint would be no gods and the other would be all gods.

I didn’t say that there was only one god. That statistical model may be unsatisfactory by your standards, but it is still valid. I have no problem with you needing thousands of gods in your schema. In fact, I can care less about the other gods.

In Christianity, God is called the one true god, not the only god. If there weren’t other gods, then the first commandment would have been excluded.

That statistical model may be unsatisfactory by your standards, but it is still valid.

There is no continuum on a yes/no question, thus the model is invalid.

With the same amount of knowledge (namely none), you assert existence while I make no assertions.

I have no problem with you needing thousands of gods in your schema. In fact, I can care less about the other gods.

Which is why your scope is terribly narrow. Whether you believe in them or not, other religions with different gods exist. Atheism/agnosticism contrasts with more than just Christianity.

In Christianity, God is called the one true god, not the only god. If there weren’t other gods, then the first commandment would have been excluded.

Impossible. The Christian god is, by definition, omnipotent and omnipresent. Asserting any other gods exist is asserting that the Christian god is NOT something. This is directly contradictory.....a problem that arises often in the Bible.

ArdeaCandidissima

So once again I am in the minority. Why do I believe, you ask? Several reasons...the one I will mention now is that I have felt God's presence in my life at my lowest moment.

There was a time when I was tormented by disturbing thoughts that would not give me any peace. Nothing too dramatic, just self-loathing, anxiety, and deep shadowy, leaden grief with no real cause. I spent months in torment. I tried to distract myself with work, with sex, with constant activity like exercise and travel, endless conversations with friends, I read nonstop so I would not have to listen to the voices inside my head. Nothing helped. One night at 2 am, as I lay sleepless, literally writhing because of what was going on in my unquiet mind, I felt called to pray, and I simply told God I could not take it any more and asked him to give me peace. Within a moment, the burning torment was gone and I felt the clear cool water of peace running inside my head. That reality has stayed with me. The torment was gone and did not return. That was 11 years ago.

A delusion, a self-suggestion, the placebo effect you say? Perhaps.

My upbringing as the child of a lukewarm Presbyterian did not instill any religious feelings in me. As a kid, I thought churches opened their doors only twice a year - Easter Sunday and Christmas Eve. What a shock to find out much later that they had weekly services!

I am a trained scientist and engineer, and fully rational. However, my education never taught me that the supernatural could not exist - rather, it teaches me to explain the natural world by natural means, and leaves open the possibility of reality beyond what we can possibly perceive. In fact, the more advanced physics I learned, particularly quantum mechanics, the more I realized that human perception of the natural world is necessarily flawed - not just now, for trivial or technical reasons, but fundamentally, inherently and for all time. So it doesn't bother me that God does not have a URL.

Just to round out my ideas, I would like to say that I believe in an old Earth (5 billion+ years, I believe they're saying these days), and evolution is a powerful and convincing explanation of how our beautiful, blessed planet became populated with diverse and marvelous creatures.

A warm greeting in Christ to sonofhud, VASH and all the other believers lurking out there.