Your Views on Religion?

Because the energy we're made of has to go somewhere

Precisely. We are, of course, made up of the same stuff that our thoughts are made of. 'Neath everything, we're all charm and strange LOL.

LadyX

So called religious people are hypocritical, and judgemental. Yet, if you look into their lives, you would find them to be no better than those they preach against.

Jesus also had a problem with people like that. They were the Pharisees.

Ryan

Be your own god.

I was created in God’s image, and I could move a mountain if my faith were the size of a mustard seed. Does God want me to be godlike?

novascade

most people don't study the bible

and think they know all,

read it beside holydays

You don’t seem to know it very well. God, in the old testament is punishing while the God in the new testament is forgiving.

Different authors with different agendas wrote the books in the bible for different audiences. For example, the gospels don’t agree on the time of Jesus’s death or how long he stayed dead. Paul’s letters don’t agree with what was said about him in Acts.

Evolution goes against natural law. Nature favors disorder, while evolution leads to more complex organisms.

You folks do realize that at least one scientist has concluded that the chances of life as it exists on earth having occurred spontaneously and developed as it has are SO impossibly vast that the more scientific conclusion is that there was an outside agent who 'created' it, don't you?

Originally posted by tphillip

LadyX, I'm similar to you. I'm an atheist,

I despise organized religion as a whole. Generally I have found them to be hypocritical at straying far from what they should be doing (Eg: Political activism). The other gall is that many organized religions give the credit to God, but the blame to humans. God isn't a very good leader if he won't take the blame along with the credit IMO. :o

However I don't disparage anyone of their own personal beliefs, provided they don't preach. Don't try to convert me, and don't disparage my beliefs and I'll happily leave you to follow your religion (Provided you and your religion is not violent).

However I'll actively call any believer to the carpet if they say they follow a particular religion and talk up their faith and beliefs, but in practice do not follow their beliefs or the tenets of their religion. It really irks me when religious people are such blatant hypocrites. Who are they to tell me how moral they are when they can't even follow their own beliefs or that of the religion that they say they follow.

Ok....I'm done venting now. :)

I always get a huge kick out of Atheists. They are, as a whole (like yourself), very quick to judge Christians, spouting off about about Christians are hypocrites and how they don't live as they preach, etc.

Must be really easy to be an Atheist, because you don't have to believe in anything. You can do as you wish. Believe or disbelieve what you want. Come and go as you please. To be able to just sit there and spout off and look down their noses at Christians, expecting them to be live perfect lives (when nobody is perfect) and judging them in a very condescending, superior, judgmental manner for not being perfect.....when good old atheists really have no rules to live by. Wow, maybe I should become an atheist, sure would be an easy path to follow...to just sit there in judgment, all the while believing nothing.

There are atheists with as much fervor about not believing as the most radical Christians.

executioner

Well, it's certainly better than believing a fairy tale.

Jesus’s existence is a historical fact. Did he perform miracles? I can’t be certain, but I can have faith.
Evolution goes against natural law. Nature favors disorder, while evolution leads to more complex organisms.

You limit your scope WAY too much on considering entropy. This geocentrism is one of the faults in the argument for an ordered creation.

Go to a riverbed and pick up a rock. It's pretty organized....all the molecules packed together in a rigid form of a specific color, shape, size, and density. You'll probably see some similar rocks around as well. Now go to the site of a volcano and pick up a rock....not much uniformity between that and the river rock.

You folks do realize that at least one scientist has concluded that the chances of life as it exists on earth having occurred spontaneously and developed as it has are SO impossibly vast that the more scientific conclusion is that there was an outside agent who 'created' it, don't you?

Impossibly vast....reminds me of when I tried to estimate the number of stars in the universe. Kinda made those chances seem a lot more reasonable.

when good old atheists really have no rules to live by.

You equate morality with religion. This is false. Since your entire argument is based on atheists having no morality because they have no religion, I have no qualms in dismissing it.

"Impossibly vast....reminds me of when I tried to estimate the number of stars in the universe. Kinda made those chances seem a lot more reasonable."

Apparently the latter exceeds the former by a significant proportion.

VASH THE STAMPEDE

GOD being real is NOT a fairy tale.Its real,(No I don't mean you RYAN)you have to seek him,just because you don't see the air it doesn't mean its not there. Judging or bad mouthing Christians will get no one any where.

I understand that some christians are judgmental but thats between them and GOD ,they are spiritually and morally wrong.

Originally posted by BlockHead

You don’t seem to know it very well. God, in the old testament is punishing while the God in the new testament is forgiving.

i never said God about wrath being kindled in the old testamen,

because back then they turned there back on God as today,

as soon as Mosses took them out of egypt they worshiped a bull,

God wrath was kindled and known of those people made it to the promise land,

on and off they worship God,why else you think his wrath was kindled,

til his son came to die on the cross for are sins,

reason for mercy.Next time say it right

I only stated the reason for war.

So don't coment about an answer to the original question.

Originally posted by moimeme

so...?

VASH THE STAMPEDE

AH, I love to fight with people who have no religous background,but only go by what they see.

This argument is pointless and also senseless i'm done here, till later

Ryan

Go to a riverbed and pick up a rock. It's pretty organized....all the molecules packed together in a rigid form of a specific color, shape, size, and density. You'll probably see some similar rocks around as well. Now go to the site of a volcano and pick up a rock....not much uniformity between that and the river rock.

Chemically, living tissue is very different from rocks. Most of the rocks are made up of ionic chemical bonds while living tissue is made up of a complex network of proteins. You can argue that the rock crystals will organize into complex lattice, but the DNA chain is an extremely complex network that happens to be unstable. I would be very impressed if you could create a DNA chain only using a few base elements (C N O H P) in their pure form.

To me, the existence of life seems unnatural. I’m sure that the creation of life had a helping hand. Even if the DNA were somehow created accidentally, what is probability that the machinery needed to reproduce and feed would also be there?

I believe that the biblical creation stories are nothing more than myths. You can argue about the big-band theory, but that does not explain life.

novascade

til his son came to die on the cross for are sins

There are several explanations for his death.

1. Dying on a cross was the ultimate test.

2. He died on the cross for our sins. Scapegoat.

3. He was the ultimate sacrifice to please God. I don’t remember the name of the Jewish ceremony, but there is a ceremony where a lamb is sacrificed, and its blood is allowed to drip on the “ark of the covenant.” In that gospel, Jesus calls himself “lamb of God.”

4. God needed a sacrifice to cool his temper.

Take your pick.

Maybe part of the reason for believing in a God is that there is no other plausible explanation for life.

Originally posted by VASH THE STAMPEDE

AH, I love to fight with people who have no religious background,but only go by what they see.

This argument is pointless and also senseless i'm done here, till later

i do have a slight background in organizied xtianity, though admittedly little in spiritual faith, blind or otherwise. what is your background in critical thought? how much do you know about atheism or skepticism? do you know about other religions besides your own?

i would love to hear you talk about your spirituality without capitol letters and jargon. telling us we'll go to hell only makes sense if we have some concept of an actual hell, which i don't, personally. so, consider your audience. tell me what being a xtian has done for you, simply and without zeal. i respect your beliefs, as they apply to *you.*

the reason that he called himself the lamb,

read genesis chapter 4 Cain and abel the first sacrafice,

I believe that why,he was God first and only begoten son.

giggles, in my less respectful days, i had a friend who thought it was very funny to buy bibles and return them because they had 'spelling errors' and 'were not useful.'

your post makes no sense to me, novascade. it's only communication if someone besides you understands. i understand that you are quoting something, but to what end? what is the point?

hey either way you put it I ain't burning in hell

all these opinion about on man, for what,

at the end we will see what matters faith or opinion .

He died for are sin not for a test ,scapegoat,whatever.

Jesus had not sined and therfore he was not acounted for death,

therefor the reseretion of christ.

Opinion of man its what will destroy man.

Its has it did and it will

If you have faith, why do you guestion God

VASH THE STAMPEDE

novascade you kind of lost me on that one.LOL

To explain to some one who has no intention of listening is a waste of keyboard life.

SO, que se jodan los cabrones.

I heard that high school dropouts translated the Jehovah Witness version of the bible. If you are serious about studying the bible, make sure you don’t use it.

novascade you kind of lost me on that one.LOL

To explain to some one who has no intention of listening is a waste of keyboard life.

SO, que se jodan los cabrones.

dude, i am listening. i like you. i like your avatar and your posts. i would like to understand why you, personally, are a xtian. i come from my own equally valid set of beliefs, but there is no reason why we can't share our thoughts. i'm not threatened by xtianity - it just doesn't apply to me - but i would like to hear how it applies to you.

VASH THE STAMPEDE

I'm not saying nothing bad but ,I just don't see where you are heading with this .

Its useless to argue, everyone will have their differences and their own understandings.

All we can do is state our opinions.

jahova's witnesses are IDIOTS.Thats my personal and strong opinion.

VASH THE STAMPEDE

I'm not saying nothing bad but ,I just don't see where you are heading with this .

Its useless to argue, everyone will have their differences and their own understandings.

All we can do is state our opinions.

this is for navascade

jahova's witnesses are IDIOTS.Thats my personal and strong opinion.

this one for you blockhead

i don't want to argue. i want you to articulate your belief system without using jargon and explain why you, personally, became a christian. obviously, you don't need to do this. but if you are from a sect that values conversion, your current methods could use some work.

finally do you really only want to speak to xtians about religion the rest of your life? that's cool, i guess, but limiting. i like talking to xtians, they interest me, as do strong believers of any religion or system of thought. it seems to me that the strongest among them are able to explain the value of their system to people outside its influence.