Do you dislike business owners ?

Well i work for someone, as I do not own my business, but I do love my vacation time and I get a lot of it- that is def. a huge plus to working for someone

but you are told how long and when you can go.

in a couple years I won't have to go to work for a month at a time if I choose.

Fascinating topic.

I have a degree. I'm glad I got it. It gave me a sense of accomplishment but in no way, shape or form is it the "be all."

I think it's WAY harder to start and succeed in business than it is to get a degree. Hands down. It takes a lot more thinking "outside the box" to succeed on your own than to get a college degree. No question.

I help my H run his own law practice. We love it. We can take vacations whenever we want or any time off we want. Yes, we have to pay for our own insurance but so what? When I worked for others I did too. And I didn't get to keep all the profits.

I respect a self-made person WAY more than just a college graduate.

Also, I used to be a recruiter at a temp agency and I put way more weight on experience than on whether someone had a degree or not. Some of the laziest, most self-entitled individuals I saw had degrees.

JohnnyBlaze

I've worked at some joints where I have liked the owner, and some where I haven't. My opinion of them wasn't due to the fact that they owned the place, it was due to the fact that they were either stand-up people or conniving bastards. To be honest, I never asked any of them if they had degrees or not. It never mattered to me. If you can do the job, I don't care if you're a Rhodes scholar or a daycare dropout.

lovestruck818
Fascinating topic.

I have a degree. I'm glad I got it. It gave me a sense of accomplishment but in no way, shape or form is it the "be all."

I think it's WAY harder to start and succeed in business than it is to get a degree. Hands down. It takes a lot more thinking "outside the box" to succeed on your own than to get a college degree. No question.

I help my H run his own law practice. We love it. We can take vacations whenever we want or any time off we want. Yes, we have to pay for our own insurance but so what? When I worked for others I did too. And I didn't get to keep all the profits.

I respect a self-made person WAY more than just a college graduate.

Also, I used to be a recruiter at a temp agency and I put way more weight on experience than on whether someone had a degree or not. Some of the laziest, most self-entitled individuals I saw had degrees.

Yes, your last paragraph is dead-on, however more & more industries and corporations mine included, really don't want to hire you if yopu don't have a degree. It's sad, but it's becoming more & more of a necessity and there are a lot of people who can't afford it.

Lookingforward

From what I've seen in my time here, americans tend to be overeducated and underutilised.

You don't need a HS diploma to flip burgers and you sure don't need a PhD to drive a cab.......

I'd take on someone with initiative, common sense and a drive to succeed over someone with a piece of paper anyday.

I've also thought that our kids would be better served by streaming for academic or vocational training earlier than they are - in some countries they stream for that from post elementary (grade school), not everyone is destined to be a college graduate.

lovestruck818
From what I've seen in my time here, americans tend to be overeducated and underutilised.

You don't need a HS diploma to flip burgers and you sure don't need a PhD to drive a cab.......

I'd take on someone with initiative, common sense and a drive to succeed over someone with a piece of paper anyday.

I've also thought that our kids would be better served by streaming for academic or vocational training earlier than they are - in some countries they stream for that from post elementary (grade school), not everyone is destined to be a college graduate.

yeha...but who wants to flip burgers or drive a cab?

If I had an oppurtunity to flip burgers or drive a cab where I owned the place/cab...... I would be a flippin' and a drivin'.

franchise it.... own a string of cabs.... yeah baby...

I would flip and drive at the same time if there was a good future in it.

And nothing wrong with flippin a burger to pay your bills.

Did you ever have a j.o.b. before you got your degree?

Lookingforward

thankfully a lot do - we can't ALL be miss high and mucky muck can we ?

Even YOU need trash removed, etc etc

Lookingforward
If I had an oppurtunity to flip burgers or drive a cab where I owned the place/cab...... I would be a flippin' and a drivin'.

There's never ANY shame in honest work

thankfully a lot do - we can't ALL be miss high and mucky muck can we ?

Even YOU need trash removed, etc etc

Trash people make great money, union, awesome benefits....

:D:D

Sposin' you need one dem dar degrees in waste recyclificationism? :p

lovestruck818

just interning...interned for a TV station in high school for a bit...no pay but it was an experience that helped me get where I am today

just interning...interned for a TV station in high school for a bit...no pay but it was an experience that helped me get where I am today

So who paid for college?

spending money?

what degree do you have?

What is your annual gross?

lovestruck818
So who paid for college?

spending money?

what degree do you have?

What is your annual gross?

scholarships

bachelors in communications, bachelors in business/economics

big enough annual gross to buy a house...

scholarships

bachelors in communications, bachelors in business/economics

big enough annual gross to buy a house...

Who paid for your food? clothing?

So you never had to really work....... interesting.

Not even a summer job?

and isn't your house a 400sq ft studio?

• Author
MaxManwell

I think a lot of people are missing that a lot of college graduates would never have the opportunity to start a business or be in a position to accumulate enough capital for one without a degree.

You talk about burger flipping and toilet cleaning but how is a person supposed to get buy working those jobs, let along buy their own company which would require competing with some established players that have some serious financial backining. That is why I refer to a lot of these small businesses as dynasties, they masquerade as the hard working simple business owner but mostly they're not. They're inherited or bought in a time when income was a lot higher. Now they're so loaded you can't compare they income they get compared to their workers or much less a college graduate.

Some of these good old family businesses are pulliung $5,000 a week take home for doing not really all that much and paying the workers peanuts. At the same time acting like the business is some altruisic measure of family solitude.

I think a lot of people are missing that a lot of college graduates would never have the opportunity to start a business or be in a position to accumulate enough capital for one without a degree.

You talk about burger flipping and toilet cleaning but how is a person supposed to get buy working those jobs, let along buy their own company which would require competing with some established players that have some serious financial backining. That is why I refer to a lot of these small businesses as dynasties, they masquerade as the hard working simple business owner but mostly they're not. They're inherited or bought in a time when income was a lot higher. Now they're so loaded you can't compare they income they get compared to their workers or much less a college graduate.

Some of these good old family businesses are pulliung $5,000 a week take home for doing not really all that much and paying the workers peanuts. At the same time acting like the business is some altruisic measure of family solitude.

Have you owned a small business before??? Geez...

I just lost my business after years of working it to the bone...

I finally had to declare bankruptcy because my fixed expenses and salaries outweighed my profit. The rent kept going up and up- and people started shuffling off to malls and box stores.

Running a small business is difficult and complicated.

I had to carry $100,000 worth of stock a season- anticipate what trends people would appreciate... and hope I could sell it all - or lose everything.

I worked my own business myself- with only part time staff I paid well and treated well. 7 days a week I was there working the floor to make ends meet. Always smiling and giving expert service to people that often tried to barter with me for a better deal. The public was often rude and unappreciative. I also had to deal with a lot of theft!

When you run a business- you have to pay your rent, your staff, fixed costs and your suppliers before you can take a paycheque for yourself. I sometimes went 2 months without taking a salary out of my business. I poured everything I owned into it and it finally got the best of me.

You're way off with your assumptions.

Family "solitude?" Huh? You went to college? Okie, dokie.

Anywho, sounds like sour grapes to me. People can choose to not work for those who pay "peanuts." It's a free country last time I checked.

You do show your ignorance when you talk about what the take home pay is for doing "not really all that much." Have YOU ever risked YOUR money and started your own business? That alone is doing a LOT more than most people have the guts to do.

Most degrees aren't worth the paper they're written on. (And as I said I do have a Bachelor's degree myself. ) Show me someone who has the gumption to start their own business though..someone who has that entrepreneurial spirit, someone who doesn't punch a clock or look at how long they have until they go home..someone who gives others an opportunity and who creates jobs (no matter what the pay) and I'll show you someone, with or without a degree, who has some balls. And as I said before, someone who can think outside the box and isn't a sheep.

• Author
MaxManwell

Anywho, sounds like sour grapes to me. People can choose to not work for those who pay "peanuts." It's a free country last time I checked.

You do show your ignorance when you talk about what the take home pay is for doing "not really all that much." Have YOU ever risked YOUR money and started your own business? That alone is doing a LOT more than most people have the guts to do.

Most degrees aren't worth the paper they're written on. (And as I said I do have a Bachelor's degree myself. ) Show me someone who has the gumption to start their own business though..someone who has that entrepreneurial spirit, someone who doesn't punch a clock or look at how long they have until they go home..someone who gives others an opportunity and who creates jobs (no matter what the pay) and I'll show you someone, with or without a degree, who has some balls. And as I said before, someone who can think outside the box and isn't a sheep.

Most people if they have the means will start a business. What people don't realise is that most are not able to.

People without the means, like my firned in the OP will fail and would have been better off going to college.

• Author
MaxManwell

Anywho, sounds like sour grapes to me.

People can choose to not work for those who pay "peanuts."

1)Snob

2)'You're just jealous defence"- childish and illogical

3) Illogical

Most people if they have the means will start a business. What people don't realise is that most are not able to.

People without the means, like my firned in the OP will fail and would have been better off going to college.

Sorry, I don't agree. Most who start a business have almost nothing and risk all that they have. Most are not WILLING to. Most don't have the GUTS. It has little to do with money for the most part...but more to do with gumption.

College is good. But it guarantees nothing.

I love your quote about the "old landed elite." Hilarious. Have you ever lived in places like Washington DC? I couldn't believe all the little markets owned by foreign people who could barely speak English. They were making a nice living. And I'd hardly call them the "old landed elite."

Why, in my area which is a small town we have many Hispanic-owned businesses. These people came here with virtually nothing and are making it. I admire them. And yeah, they're not the "old landed elite" either.

Remember our ancestors who came over here way back when? Were they the elite too?

Again, I smell sour grapes.

Art_Critic
I smell sour grapes.

Well ya got a keen sense of smell Madame.. the word hate gave it away didn't it ? or was it the sweeping brush of ALL business owners ?

Well ya got a keen sense of smell Madame.. the word hate gave it away didn't it ? or was it the sweeping brush of ALL business owners ?

:rolleyes:I know, really! And he called me a snob. :laugh: Yeah, I'm a snob because I admire business owners and don't hate or envy the ground they walk on.

Where would people like our buddy Max be without the business owners he so despises?

Citizen Erased

I only dislike those who give me a real reason to not like them. Not that they simply own a business.

They work their arses off for years and years and some get lucky and their business grows. Those who have little education are to be admired IMO. As are those with the best education money can buy. Who am I to judge them based on how little or how much they have to do now with the company they spent decades on building?

• Author
MaxManwell
Sorry, I don't agree. Most who start a business have almost nothing and risk all that they have. Most are not WILLING to. Most don't have the GUTS. It has little to do with money for the most part...but more to do with gumption.

Most people who run highly profitable businesses are either born into or happen to be in the right place at the right time, or have the right skills on demand at the right time. Having the guts to invest in something that is not profitable is stupidity not courage.

This is exactly the attitude that makes me condemn business owners in my own mind. This 'holier than thou' I dare say like the world owes them everything because they happened to start a business.

'Sour grapes' again, name calling and the infamous 'you're just jealous' defense. Like I said in my original post the hard working little guys that start with nothing, seldom come out with anything at all. Those who succeed usually have some god given edge that had nothing at all to do with hard work. Entrenched elite's with a superiority complex, just like the landed elite of old.