Do you dislike business owners ?

He is 3 months old Ariadne

In 18 years when is college age is when I was speaking about... My company will be around in 18 years.. Like I said in an earlier post.. we are finishing our 30th year in business this month.

Congrats!!!! :)

you're right...but once a quitter, always a quitter they say. Do you know the reason he gave up on his degree by any chance? It's just not a good quality to be known as someone who gives up when it gets tough or when there comes something you don't like. Yeah there is no doubt he changed the world...but some people (not me) could argue he didn't change it positively. I think he did, but I am sure there are a handful of people who think otherwise.

Suppose you were a recruiter for a company and someone came into you for an interview and you asked them why they didn't go to college and they say to you..."I quit b/c it was hard" or "b/c I didn't like it." What kind of feeling woudl you get from that? I would not look at that person in a positive light.

Here is some really interesting facts..... http://www.pennylicious.com/2006/10/09/billionaire-dropouts/

Art_Critic
Do you know the reason he gave up on his degree by any chance?

IBM had just release a CPU that could run computer Basic cost effectively.He owned Basic so he jumped at the chance to start his company with Paul Allen..

He quit to start a company and become a business owner...

Art_Critic

This goes the the OP's thread about hating business owners..

Bill Gates is hated by many..

lovestruck818
Here is some really interesting facts..... http://www.pennylicious.com/2006/10/09/billionaire-dropouts/

Of course. There are reports out there that the highest earners in society today are not educated folks- it's the uneducated ones- that's old news. My point is that you really NEED the degree a) to have it to fall back on in case for whatever reason you lose your job or your business fails and b) b/c some fields are getting tougher with the standards of who they want to hire and who they don't. There are many fields out there that wiont hire you without a degree even if you can clearly demonstrate you can do the job.

Also yes, those people are very successful but that doesn't mean they are smart. (It also doesn't mean they are stupid either)...but if they were smart, then school would be easy for them and they probably wouldn't have quit.

maybe he doesn't have a degree but he's a quitter. You cna't just give up on things that are hard or that you don't like. God didn't intend to make life easy for us.

Yea Bill Gates is a real quitter for not going to class for 3 fours a day drinking on the weekend instead working 10 , 11 hours a day (at least) and making one of the greatest contributions to technology in history of mankind. I'm sure his life would have been much harder in college :rolleyes:.

Trialbyfire

I've worked for corporations, was one of three partners who owned and ran a company and am currently the sole prop of a consulting business. It's been eye-opening from all perspectives. I think everyone if at all possible, can benefit from these types of experiences, in understanding why it's important to make payroll, if only for yourself.

lovestruck818
Yea Bill Gates is a real quitter for not going to class for 3 fours a day drinking on the weekend instead working 10 , 11 hours a day (at least) and making one of the greatest contributions to technology in history of mankind. I'm sure his life would have been much harder in college :rolleyes:.

College was not easy...

lovestruck818
Compared to owning a business, University was a cake walk.

Had you gone to Harvard, woudl you be saying that?

Of course. There are reports out there that the highest earners in society today are not educated folks- it's the uneducated ones- that's old news. My point is that you really NEED the degree a) to have it to fall back on in case for whatever reason you lose your job or your business fails and b) b/c some fields are getting tougher with the standards of who they want to hire and who they don't. There are many fields out there that wiont hire you without a degree even if you can clearly demonstrate you can do the job.

Also yes, those people are very successful but that doesn't mean they are smart. (It also doesn't mean they are stupid either)...but if they were smart, then school would be easy for them and they probably wouldn't have quit.

It would have been stupid for them to continue school in many cases when greater oppurtunities were at hand.... or they had the ability to create their own oppurtunities that hold a better pay off or future.

Back in the days of yore (20 odd years back)...... I scrubbed toilets for rich people and made $20 an hour...... not bad for scrubbin' a toilet... but I could have gotten a degree in housekeeping/hotel manage. and probably topped out at $8.00 - $12.00 an hour.

I could never accept a position for very long that put any sort of cap on my earning potential. Perhaps as a second job but no way as a lifetime career.

Trialbyfire

My degree is a Masters of Science, majoring in Finance and Econ, in a very well-regarded University in Canada. Add in a sprinkle of poli-sci to top it off.

Do you dislike business owners ?

No, I don't dislike business owners.

They are hard working people that had the courage to be on their own.

Not easy in this competitive market.

College was not easy...

Join the club, I went to college along with alot of other people. But I assure you that inventing Windows was harder than going to college.

lovestruck818
My degree is a Masters of Science, majoring in Finance and Econ, in a very well-regarded University in Canada. Add in a sprinkle of poli-sci to top it off.

very impressive...but I am sure had you not those degrees, starting the business would have been a lot harder and riskier to do. I am sure there are some things you learned in college that benefitted you for the start-up of your business that would wouldn't have learned otherwise.

lovestruck818
Join the club, I went to college along with alot of other people. But I assure you that inventing Windows was harder than going to college.

hah- no doubt. He's very lucky windows took off...b/c if it didn't and he had no degree he'd be stuck. Some people get lucky and they succeed greatly with their businesses and some don't. Always better to have a degree though, IMO.

hah- no doubt. He's very lucky windows took off...b/c if it didn't and he had no degree he'd be stuck. Some people get lucky and they succeed greatly with their businesses and some don't. Always better to have a degree though, IMO.

Luck rarely has anything to do with becoming successful.

Luck is when you win the lottery.... but even to do that you have to buy a ticket.

Trialbyfire
very impressive...but I am sure had you not those degrees, starting the business would have been a lot harder and riskier to do. I am sure there are some things you learned in college that benefitted you for the start-up of your business that would wouldn't have learned otherwise.

Maybe but that doesn't change the fact that going to school is nothing like/compared to running a real business, whether you own it or not. Bottom line to a business is making money, literally.

• Author
MaxManwell
My concern is that people who do not have a degree and own a business are not 100% certain their business will succeed. Since 1/2 of all businesses fail in the first year anyway, at least if your business does fail and you ahve a degree there are other avenues you can go in to get a job...at least working for someone else for a while. If you don't have the degree, I imagine you would be completely stuck.

Half of business don't fail that number includes people sell at the right time and who simply get sick of their business, ect,ect not all are bankrupt if half of all businesses failed in the first year we'd or probably be in a lot of economic troulb.e

• Author
MaxManwell

If you have a family business you don't need a degree.

If you are a talented salesperson you don't need a degree.

If you get into a trade really young and hit the right point in the business cycle you don't need a degree.

Normal people, it will probably really really help you.

However, a degree is just a signification that you have obtaineed a level of knowledge (some high than others) it does not mean people without degrees are not knowledgeable.

THis is a simple concept that you SHOULD have learned while at college.

My concern is that people who do not have a degree and own a business are not 100% certain their business will succeed. Since 1/2 of all businesses fail in the first year anyway, at least if your business does fail and you ahve a degree there are other avenues you can go in to get a job...at least working for someone else for a while. If you don't have the degree, I imagine you would be completely stuck.

I have never needed a degree or resume to get one single "job" in my life.

Sounds like you have a fear of working without a safety net. I understand that some people might need structure to feel safe and feel the need to work within the confines of structured system - much like college.

Your degree worthy job could be lost in a moments notice as well.

Employees don't have control of their own future in many cases. Very few have control over their own earning potential.

How many employees with degree's lose their jobs because of big corp. downsizes? That is terrifying to me.

• Author
MaxManwell

Harvard is just a franchise. To compare University to owning a business is a little lame.

The only thing I would compare to owning a business would be a person studying electrical or aerospace engineering who is of average or slightly above average intelligence.

The guy I worked with through college, he earned his 70k believe me he worked for it.

• Author
MaxManwell
Luck rarely has anything to do with becoming successful.

Luck is when you win the lottery.... but even to do that you have to buy a ticket.

In my opinion if you don't need good luck then you are not trying hard enough.

Trialbyfire

You learn idealized theory in school. When it comes time to run a business, the application of theory can and will shock you sometimes...

• Author
MaxManwell
You learn idealized theory in school. When it comes time to run a business, the application of theory can and will shock you sometimes...

What about math and literature those are subjects when taught together should teach a person how to think, science and engineering too.

I'd consider persuit of knowledge in those areas to be very worthwhile. I'd like to have had a more extensive education but not necessarily another degree.