Do you dislike business owners ?

Art_Critic
and do you get a 401k, pension, benefits?

LoveStruck..

I have a 401-k...and so does everyone working here...

We are not trying to tell you that your degree is worthless.. it isn't..

But you also cannot tell the successful business owners here posting that they would be better off with a degree..

Like I said earlier.. I want my son to go to college and not work here for some of the same reasons you have already posted about.. a fallback position..

lovestruck818
no I don't get those benefits.... however I am stuffing money away for that rainy day.. including a couple real estate venture.... commerical land.

Then again your "Enron" could happen to you.... or a big crash.

That's my point right there. Many jobs that you don't need a degree for don't give you that stuff...trades, construction, painting, mechanics, things like that. They are not bad job- not at all- and one can earn a nice living- but benefits and 401k are extremely important.

lovestruck818
LoveStruck..

I have a 401-k...and so does everyone working here...

We are not trying to tell you that your degree is worthless.. it isn't..

But you also cannot tell the successful business owners here posting that they would be better off with a degree..

Like I said earlier.. I want my son to go to college and not work here for some of the same reasons you have already posted about.. a fallback position..

well that was really directed @ a4a...but yeah, i hear ya....however, how do you know you would not be better off with a degree if you never had one?

Art_Critic
Old ppl trying to apply the situation when they were young to the situation now just doesn't work.

You keep making dropin posts like this..

Could you explain this ?.. I'm not that old :)

I do think the job market is different today that it was way back then..

But the one thing that remains the same and that is what it takes to run a successful company.. those things have never changed and never will..

We hire all age ranges here..In fact we try to hire young..

Our client base is generally in their early-mid 20's..

good for you...but, I am sure where you live housing prices are a lot lower. Not sure what that has to do with me taking a course or not, but houses here are very expensive. Most people in the NY metro area are not buying houses @ 26 years old. Too much for them to afford.

Well your course should have told you to move into one of the biggest booming areas in the US and one of the best area for cost of living and investment return.

That is why I moved here..... but I didn't take a course to figure that out.

Just logic.

My first home was in a area similar to yours now. I used it as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

That's my point right there. Many jobs that you don't need a degree for don't give you that stuff...trades, construction, painting, mechanics, things like that. They are not bad job- not at all- and one can earn a nice living- but benefits and 401k are extremely important.
Well.....my point, (and possibly a4a's point) is that even though we don't have the degree you've aquired simply doesn't mean we aren't set....and haven't formulated a retirement plan of our own.....
Art_Critic
well that was really directed @ a4a...but yeah, i hear ya....however, how do you know you would not be better off with a degree if you never had one?

Ahh.. the what if's

I honestly try and not do the what if's... In life you can't look back...

If I was to do the what if's today.. it is a toughie.. so many things would be different..

I honestly think I would have the same happiness but I wouldn't most likely have as many material things.. many of my material things happened when I was young and that time would have been spent in college if I was to do the what if's..

I do know that I have no regrets...

lovestruck818
Well your course should have told you to move into one of the biggest booming areas in the US and one of the best area for cost of living and investment return.

That is why I moved here..... but I didn't take a course to figure that out.

Just logic.

My first home was in a area similar to yours now. I used it as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

A) I grew up here and B) there is a wealth of job opportunities. Do you suppose I move to Idaho and farm potatoes?

lovestruck818
Well.....my point, (and possibly a4a's point) is that even though we don't have the degree you've aquired simply doesn't mean we aren't set....and haven't formulated a retirement plan of our own.....

granted, but I have company-paid benefits, so for me, an extra expense I don't have to pay.

Trialbyfire
granted, but I have company-paid benefits, so for me, an extra expense I don't have to pay.

When you're a business owner, beyond business expenses, all the net profits belong to you.

lovestruck818
When you're a business owner, beyond business expenses, all the net profits belong to you.

yes...but one would hope you would make enough of a profit to cover things like medical/dental expenses etc. Many businesses do not generate big enough profits. Plus, what about the people who work for you? Do they get a benefits package?

Trialbyfire
yes...but one would hope you would make enough of a profit to cover things like medical/dental expenses etc. Many businesses do not generate big enough profits. Plus, what about the people who work for you? Do they get a benefits package?

Yes, medical and dental are covered.

As for employees, I'm currently the only one. I did the world domination thing with my previous partnership and don't want to expand, although my mirror contact in the East keeps wanting to merge and expand to national. There's more than enough business for us to expand ten-fold.

lovestruck818
Yes, medical and dental are covered.

As for employees, I'm currently the only one. I did the world domination thing with my previous partnership and don't want to expand, although my mirror contact in the East keeps wanting to merge and expand to national. There's more than enough business for us to expand ten-fold.

Hah- that's awesome! Good luck to you! :D

Who said I didn't have one? :lmao:

I have a degree in toilet scrubbing...

No actually I was shooting for a BA.... then possibly a DVM

But I am so damn happy I didn't finish.

The pay out for a BA in that field is crap... the adventure would have been fun.... but you know everything I got out of books was pretty much BS. I would also be the most broke vet in the US if I would have done that.

Of course I was a really weird kid and would enjoy reading anatomy books for fun... Merck is my favorite publisher....... :lmao:

no not kidding..... really. I also enjoy popular mechanics, CEPro.

The phone rings all day here for free advice.... but I would say 99% of the questions asked have nothing to do with any course I took.

In real life you use quite a bit of duct tape in this line of work...... you don't find that in a book or in a course. :lmao:

Some people feel the need to work within a structure and thus believe other must follow their path.....

but heck when I was 26 I pretty much thought I knew everything too.

I owned and paid for my own house and cars and had 2 businesses.

Actually 3.

Now I know I didn't know much..... and I am wise enough to know I will look back at myself in another 20 years and think "wow what a dumbass I was".

:lmao:

My retirement plan is to run away with Moose, grow talking taters, and breed rainbow colored alpacas. :lmao:

All 40 of my employees here have insurance, (Medical / Dental) and retirement plans...

As the owner, I don't, however I pay cash for everything. I've never had a house payment, car payment or any other payment except monthly utilities.....(and that's ending soon as well).

At this point, I could literally live off interest I accumulate from my savings account and be very comfortable.....but I'm driven to build, and build.....and build.....

Here's the kicker.....if you met me and some of my buddies who are just as set, you would think we all live in a trailer park sippin' beers on the back porch over the grill.....

We're from two different worlds......I don't think one is any better than the other....

My retirement plan is to run away with Moose, grow talking taters, and breed rainbow colored alpacas.
Perfect! I'll stock the back porch kegger fridge!

All seriousness.....I think you've nailed it;

Some people feel the need to work within a structure and thus believe other must follow their path.....
Perfect! I'll stock the back porch kegger fridge!

All seriousness.....I think you've nailed it;

See I cannot be fenced in by structure.

I was always the bored to tears kid in class.

I could plop on my ass and just go get a job, but no way... the structure would kill me.

I want the daily challenge. Not this is what you do and you will earn X amount of $.

I like my freedom as well..... this is my 3rd day of dickin' around doing nothing but what I want to do. Now I might have to work for 20 days with no day off..... but man it is my choice to make more money or not.

That feels so so so so so good.

and it feels so good to pay cash for a truck.....

I get all my dental for free btw.... business trade out...... also all my vet work...... business trade out..... thats quite a bit of income in itself.

Trialbyfire
I get all my dental for free btw.... business trade out...... also all my vet work...... business trade out..... thats quite a bit of income in itself.

Hey, hey, hey, that's under the table. :laugh:

Hey, hey, hey, that's under the table. :laugh:

unfortunatley I still have resale taxes to deal with.

as for actual physical/service labor.... I can help my friends for free any time I want... :D

and dat the troof..... or you can pinch my nipple and call me Fred.

Trialbyfire
unfortunatley I still have resale taxes to deal with.

as for actual physical/service labor.... I can help my friends for free any time I want... :D

and dat the troof..... or you can pinch my nipple and call me Fred.

Okay Fred! :laugh:

Pass on the nipple. ;)

I like my freedom as well..... this is my 3rd day of dickin' around doing nothing but what I want to do.
I seriously need help in that department.....

There comes a time when you let your business own you.....I think I'm there now.....I sooooo neeed a BREAK!

I seriously need help in that department.....

There comes a time when you let your business own you.....I think I'm there now.....I sooooo neeed a BREAK!

Don't get me wrong I finished all the invoices by 8 am this morn. H is out in the field, didn't need me and he is working with mr. dickhead who I try to avoid.......

as for vacations..... cannot do it.

No time for that. This 3 day leave was a fluke... after tonight looking at 20 - 30 days on. many 12 hour days.....

You need to come to Nirvana for a vacation..... that's what people call this place..... it is very stressful to uphold that image. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

lovestruck818
Don't get me wrong I finished all the invoices by 8 am this morn. H is out in the field, didn't need me and he is working with mr. dickhead who I try to avoid.......

as for vacations..... cannot do it.

No time for that. This 3 day leave was a fluke... after tonight looking at 20 - 30 days on. many 12 hour days.....

You need to come to Nirvana for a vacation..... that's what people call this place..... it is very stressful to uphold that image. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Well i work for someone, as I do not own my business, but I do love my vacation time and I get a lot of it- that is def. a huge plus to working for someone

I have actually turned down a job recently because at the interview I discovered my boss was the owner.

I don't have a problem with people running their businesses, but in the past when I've worked for someone who owns their own company it has never been a positive experience for several reasons:

Nepotism

Unrealistic work expectations

Reluctance to pay

I agree with this. There can be a very nice, cosiness involved when you're employed by a small, owner-run business...but that can easily spill over into lack of professionalism and, as you say, unrealistic expectations that staff will be as dedicated to the business as owners are. That sense of "we're just like a little family here" isn't always conducive, in my experience, to a good work/life balance. A huge amount depends on the employer's ability to maintain a professional approach.

Where you have an unprofessional, cosy-cosy employer, you can end up getting these set ups where employees are expected to act as friends/personal counsellors/surrogate family members on top of their other duties... and can also expect to be regularly pestered about work related matters during holidays, at weekends and during any periods of sick leave. This being part and parcel of "flexibility".

I'm not suggesting all small companies are like this, but I do think that when you go to work for a little, owner run outfit you run a higher risk of getting embroiled in that kind of situation. Especially if and when the owner develops any personal problems which they can't leave at home because home and work are too closely embroiled.

With larger companies you generally have more thorough induction procedures/materials, good HR support and well defined roles and duties. On the downside, that can mean less room for creativity and an autonymous approach.