LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

I nailed it baby!!!!!!


Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 11th September 2009, 2:13 PM   #61
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
I don't have a problem getting interviews I just need some job offers!!!
Most people don't, actually. That's why the interview, and an ACCURATE, up-to-date resume is so important, and why I urged you to come up with a nice, accurate explanation for why you're not currently employed.
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 2:27 PM   #62
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
Most people don't, actually. That's why the interview, and an ACCURATE, up-to-date resume is so important, and why I urged you to come up with a nice, accurate explanation for why you're not currently employed.
Oh, I have one if asked. I told the person who called me on the phone about the interview that I didn't work there anymore and she said okay and asked when I could come in. I think you are wrong about the fact that employers discard you if they don't ask why you left your other employer. In social services the pay is low and the job is not glamarous so agencies are looking to hire someone due to the increasing damand for counselors. It's not out of the ordinary not to be asked why you previously left your job..at least in my field. The turn over rate is huge, therefore they acknowledge that people leave there job or they just don't work out.
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 2:53 PM   #63
Established Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 520
Good luck LB remember i am rooting for you ...
TwinkletOes26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 3:06 PM   #64
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkletOes26 View Post
Good luck LB remember i am rooting for you ...
Thanks, I need a job soon! I am so bored!!!!
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 3:09 PM   #65
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
I think you are wrong about the fact that employers discard you if they don't ask why you left your other employer.
I disagree with you. It's always asked when an employer is sincerely interested. ALWAYS, regardless of the industry.
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 3:11 PM   #66
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
I disagree with you. It's always asked when an employer is sincerely interested. ALWAYS, regardless of the industry.
I doubt you have been to every interview in every industry. And I have never been asked why I left my previous job in an interview and have always gotten hired. When I got hired at my last job they didn't ask why I left my TSS job and still got hired. How do you explain that?
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 3:15 PM   #67
Established Member
 
hotgurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: ski country
Posts: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
I disagree with you. It's always asked when an employer is sincerely interested. ALWAYS, regardless of the industry.
This has been my experience as well.

I was surprised he didn't ask. Just have a good answer and you'll be fine.

I always hated that question BTW. Why are you leaving your current position.

Well money obviously,but you can't say that.
__________________
Music is my hot hot sex.
hotgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 3:16 PM   #68
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Oh p.s. I actually got offered my last job IN THE INTERVIEW and they only asked me about my experience with my jobs not at all why I left. (And I had left my TSS job like 4 months prior). Hmm....
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 3:18 PM   #69
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotgurl View Post
This has been my experience as well.

I was surprised he didn't ask. Just have a good answer and you'll be fine.

I always hated that question BTW. Why are you leaving your current position.

Well money obviously,but you can't say that.
Yeah, in social services maybe they just don't care. The demand is so high they just need to hire people to work.

But I def. have a good answer in case he asks so I'm good.
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 4:00 PM   #70
Established Member
 
curiousnycgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: the nth degree of hell
Posts: 2,665
LB -

I'd like to start this post by saying that I wish you all the luck in the world - I sincerely hope you find a job you can look forward to every morning when you wake up soon.

Having said that - I have got to tell you I am a little curious why you are posting. Unless someone agrees with you - you don't want to hear it. Why bother asking for other opinions?

The reality is that many of us have many years of experience in the job market - and certain facts cross all industries. It takes far more effort to manage an employee out and hire then train someone new than it takes to help someone learn from a mistake. So insist all you like that your managers are A-holes, what you are saying just doesn't make sense.

Having said that the fact that you were offered the job at your interview also tells me that the hiring manager was inexperienced and to be candid stupid - so I'll give you that one.

But saying that in social services no one cares? That is absurd How does one hire someone, especially in your field, without a background check? Are you going to tell me they ran that without your written consent (typically obtained in person at the interview).

The rest of what you are posting - hey if it works for you great. But I have to tell you you sound naive and immature and a bit like an ostrich. You say there is so much demand for counselors they just need to hire - but is there money? I'd be hard pressed to believe in this economy it is that easy.

So why not take the advice of folks who have more experience than you do - be prepared and recognize the facts. If you interview the way you represent yourself here, I would not consider hiring you.
curiousnycgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 4:16 PM   #71
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,644
Even if the reason you left is a negative one, if you can acknowledge your part in it and assure a subsequent employer that you have learned from the experience it stands you in better stead than if you pretend it didn't happen.

Be prepared to be able to talk about it LB, just in case, and think about what you might say.
Tip: don't use the word A-Hole.
sb129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 4:16 PM   #72
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousnycgirl View Post
LB -

I'd like to start this post by saying that I wish you all the luck in the world - I sincerely hope you find a job you can look forward to every morning when you wake up soon.

Having said that - I have got to tell you I am a little curious why you are posting. Unless someone agrees with you - you don't want to hear it. Why bother asking for other opinions?

The reality is that many of us have many years of experience in the job market - and certain facts cross all industries. It takes far more effort to manage an employee out and hire then train someone new than it takes to help someone learn from a mistake. So insist all you like that your managers are A-holes, what you are saying just doesn't make sense.

Having said that the fact that you were offered the job at your interview also tells me that the hiring manager was inexperienced and to be candid stupid - so I'll give you that one.

But saying that in social services no one cares? That is absurd How does one hire someone, especially in your field, without a background check? Are you going to tell me they ran that without your written consent (typically obtained in person at the interview).

The rest of what you are posting - hey if it works for you great. But I have to tell you you sound naive and immature and a bit like an ostrich. You say there is so much demand for counselors they just need to hire - but is there money? I'd be hard pressed to believe in this economy it is that easy.

So why not take the advice of folks who have more experience than you do - be prepared and recognize the facts. If you interview the way you represent yourself here, I would not consider hiring you.
It's not that I'm getting pissed when people disagree with me. Everyone has the right to disagree with me. It's snippy comments that are not for my well being that is the issue.

BUT I'm sure they do run a background check. I don't think they need written consent do they? I filled out an application for the job if that's the same thing. Considering I got about 3 interviews in a week and a half of being out of work tells me there is demand and money to hire people right? The jobs don't pay much money, the industry is just not a high paying one. But apparently employers are hiring right now.

None of us can predict whether or not they will hire me for the job no matter what happens during the interview. I just had a good feeling about it, even if others do disagree with me.
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 4:19 PM   #73
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb129 View Post
Even if the reason you left is a negative one, if you can acknowledge your part in it and assure a subsequent employer that you have learned from the experience it stands you in better stead than if you pretend it didn't happen.

Be prepared to be able to talk about it LB, just in case, and think about what you might say.
Tip: don't use the word A-Hole.
Haha, yeah I will leave that word out. Unfair/unprofessional would be a better word. I have already worked out what I am going to say if asked that question, I rehearsed it with my fiance.
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 4:30 PM   #74
Established Member
 
curiousnycgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: the nth degree of hell
Posts: 2,665
If what your fiance and you practiced included either unfair or unprofessional - you need to come up with a new answer. Do not point fingers and do not saying anything negative about former managers/employers. EVER.

Absent more information I cannot tell you what you should say.

And YES they do need consent to run background check. If you filled out an application in advance of the interview, then that makes sense. I misunderstood and thought you were offered the job during your first meeting with them.
curiousnycgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 4:30 PM   #75
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 372
Quote:
Even if the reason you left is a negative one, if you can acknowledge your part in it and assure a subsequent employer that you have learned from the experience it stands you in better stead than if you pretend it didn't happen.

Be prepared to be able to talk about it LB, just in case, and think about what you might say.
Tip: don't use the word A-Hole.

Haha, yeah I will leave that word out. Unfair/unprofessional would be a better word. I have already worked out what I am going to say if asked that question, I rehearsed it with my fiance.
Uh-uh. You don't use the word unprofessional unless you have some professional experience under your belt. You're far too unexperienced in the industry to make that call, really. I'd say something along the lines of misunderstanding and having learned a lot from it and leave it. Nobody is really expecting you to give a good reason, they are interested in the way you react and the way you deal with unpleasant questions.
MindoverMatter is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baby on the Way with MM???! StoneyHeart The Other Man / Woman 10 17th September 2006 11:25 AM
my baby is gone LuvHurts43 Breaks and Breaking Up 1 11th August 2006 3:58 AM
Baby Momma's & Baby Daddy's!!??? PlentyLV007 Dating 13 11th April 2006 12:53 PM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.