LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Do you dislike business owners ?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 4th June 2008, 12:54 PM   #16
a4a
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Critic View Post
I think there are 2 different viewpoints here.. the viewpoint of the employee who doesn't know anything about running a business and from their viewpoint they view things thru their own filter..
and rightfully so.. it isn't up to them to run a company so they only have the information from their experience..

then there is the other viewpoint.. for the owners or people that work for themselves who only view it thru their same filter..

It just depends on with side of the fence you are on
I have been on both ....... Kitchen Chicken

BTW their business is toast.... worse than toast, not even a crumb left.

You have good owners, good bosses, and good employees.

A good employee is worth their weight in gold and should be treated as such. I hate that word employee...

On the flip side I have worked with and for what I consider mentally ill employers.... seious screws loose.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:56 PM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
By the way.. Bill Gates quit college and has no degree...

that man has changed the world without a degree
maybe he doesn't have a degree but he's a quitter. You cna't just give up on things that are hard or that you don't like. God didn't intend to make life easy for us.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:57 PM   #18
a4a
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestruck818 View Post
maybe he doesn't have a degree but he's a quitter. You cna't just give up on things that are hard or that you don't like. God didn't intend to make life easy for us.

Bill Gates is a quitter........
a4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:57 PM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Agree, but that's with anything though- can't miss what you never had, so-to-speak. Furthermore, now a lot of fields are requiring degrees...whether or not you are actually qualified. My job for example...are there uneducated people out there who could do my job better than I can? Probably. But the bottom line is, if you don't ahve a degree, they don't want to know you. That could depend on the field. It's very competitive out there. Having the degree sets you apart from the ones that don't. It's not a matter than uneducated people are not smart, on the contrary a lot of them are, it's that you have more opportunities in most fields with a degree.
for whatever it is worth LoveStruck.. my boy will be going to college and not working here.

Not that this place wouldn't be good for him but my options have always been limited to this industry and to doing this type of work..
I could never get a job in a corporate company... heck I don't even have a resume..

I want my boy to have more options available to him than I had.. now if he goes to college then comes back after a few years and works here then at least he will always have a fallback plan...
Old 4th June 2008, 1:00 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
He changed the world.. look at it...
I know you don't understand computers and software from yesteryear but without bill gates and his vision and drive you and I would not be typing and having a conversation.

He only gave up on his degree.. he didn't quit in his vision to have and run a software company..
Art_Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 1:02 PM   #21
Established Member

Quote:
for whatever it is worth LoveStruck.. my boy will be going to college and not working here....
The three months old baby?

Or you have a son from a previous marriage?
Old 4th June 2008, 1:03 PM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
for whatever it is worth LoveStruck.. my boy will be going to college and not working here.

Not that this place wouldn't be good for him but my options have always been limited to this industry and to doing this type of work..
I could never get a job in a corporate company... heck I don't even have a resume..

I want my boy to have more options available to him than I had.. now if he goes to college then comes back after a few years and works here then at least he will always have a fallback plan...
My concern is that people who do not have a degree and own a business are not 100% certain their business will succeed. Since 1/2 of all businesses fail in the first year anyway, at least if your business does fail and you ahve a degree there are other avenues you can go in to get a job...at least working for someone else for a while. If you don't have the degree, I imagine you would be completely stuck.
lovestruck818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 1:05 PM   #23
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
The three months old baby?

Or you have a son from a previous marriage?
He is 3 months old Ariadne
In 18 years when is college age is when I was speaking about... My company will be around in 18 years.. Like I said in an earlier post.. we are finishing our 30th year in business this month.
Old 4th June 2008, 1:07 PM   #24
Established Member

Quote:
He changed the world.. look at it...
I know you don't understand computers and software from yesteryear but without bill gates and his vision and drive you and I would not be typing and having a conversation.

He only gave up on his degree.. he didn't quit in his vision to have and run a software company..
you're right...but once a quitter, always a quitter they say. Do you know the reason he gave up on his degree by any chance? It's just not a good quality to be known as someone who gives up when it gets tough or when there comes something you don't like. Yeah there is no doubt he changed the world...but some people (not me) could argue he didn't change it positively. I think he did, but I am sure there are a handful of people who think otherwise.

Suppose you were a recruiter for a company and someone came into you for an interview and you asked them why they didn't go to college and they say to you..."I quit b/c it was hard" or "b/c I didn't like it." What kind of feeling woudl you get from that? I would not look at that person in a positive light.
Old 4th June 2008, 1:07 PM   #25
a4a
Established Member

Quote:

Art when your kid turns 18ish and is ready to go to college he will think you are a retard anyway.... he won't want anything to do with your business until he gets older. Parents are total moronic idiots until the kid his mid 20's to 30's or needs help with a down payment on a home.

Not a bad idea to give him a parttime summer job in his early teens. Even if it is just sweeping up once a week. Teach him to earn his own spending money.
Old 4th June 2008, 1:08 PM   #26
a4a
Established Member

Quote:
He is 3 months old Ariadne
In 18 years when is college age is when I was speaking about... My company will be around in 18 years.. Like I said in an earlier post.. we are finishing our 30th year in business this month.
Congrats!!!!
Old 4th June 2008, 1:10 PM   #27
a4a
Established Member

Quote:
you're right...but once a quitter, always a quitter they say. Do you know the reason he gave up on his degree by any chance? It's just not a good quality to be known as someone who gives up when it gets tough or when there comes something you don't like. Yeah there is no doubt he changed the world...but some people (not me) could argue he didn't change it positively. I think he did, but I am sure there are a handful of people who think otherwise.

Suppose you were a recruiter for a company and someone came into you for an interview and you asked them why they didn't go to college and they say to you..."I quit b/c it was hard" or "b/c I didn't like it." What kind of feeling woudl you get from that? I would not look at that person in a positive light.
Here is some really interesting facts..... http://www.pennylicious.com/2006/10/...aire-dropouts/
Old 4th June 2008, 1:12 PM   #28
Established Member

Quote:
Do you know the reason he gave up on his degree by any chance?
IBM had just release a CPU that could run computer Basic cost effectively.He owned Basic so he jumped at the chance to start his company with Paul Allen..

He quit to start a company and become a business owner...
Old 4th June 2008, 1:14 PM   #29
Established Member

This goes the the OP's thread about hating business owners..

Bill Gates is hated by many..
Old 4th June 2008, 1:16 PM   #30
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4a View Post
Here is some really interesting facts..... http://www.pennylicious.com/2006/10/...aire-dropouts/
Of course. There are reports out there that the highest earners in society today are not educated folks- it's the uneducated ones- that's old news. My point is that you really NEED the degree a) to have it to fall back on in case for whatever reason you lose your job or your business fails and b) b/c some fields are getting tougher with the standards of who they want to hire and who they don't. There are many fields out there that wiont hire you without a degree even if you can clearly demonstrate you can do the job.

Also yes, those people are very successful but that doesn't mean they are smart. (It also doesn't mean they are stupid either)...but if they were smart, then school would be easy for them and they probably wouldn't have quit.