I'm dating my second cousin. Is that wrong?

phat_mike

• Author
You may want to think about what you're going to do when that happens.

The same thing happened to my brother. They broke up immediately after they found out though.

Well, I'm no geneticist or anything, but I'd think that if your family (cousins, aunts, parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc) were all healthy, your children would have better odds (from strictly a genetic basis) than if you had a child with someone who, for example, had a mother with cystic fibrosis.

I know it's not going to be an issue for quite awhile, but if your relationship does end up lasting and you want to have kids (5 years or more down the line hopefully ;) ) just consult a doctor. It shouldn't be a big issue. You can always adopt or use artificial insemination if necessary.

Yea, hopefully it will be more than five years down the line :D

As regards to what you said about my father, when he finds out, he can take it as he wants. But I won't let it affect the quality of our relationship. I'm still young but I am old enough to make my own choices.

I wouldn't worry about the genetic aspect. First and second cousin marriage has been the norm for generations, even in England right up until the Victorian era. The practice only fell out of favour in the West after industrialization and the advent of modern transportation methods.

First and second marriage is still widely practised in developing nations.

If your family has a history of recessive genetic diseases like hemophilia then you might want to be tested to ensure that you don't pass this on to your children.

Other than that there really isn't any sound genetic reason why you shouldn't be together. The only hurdle that you will have to overcome is the social stigma.

There is a lot of information on cousincouples.com

You may find it a good resource

Lauriebell82

Dude.... Dude.

Dude. What... are.... you... doing....

First of all, is your great grandmother still alive? And if so, when are you going to break the news to her, and let her know her two grandkids are shacking up?? Dude.

Think of it like this... Imagine one of your 1st cusins. Then imagine that cusin having a child, and you having a child, and those kids making out. Yeah, pretty sick.

My advice: Next time you go to a family reunion try to pay more attention to who you are related to. If this continues, I suggest you date only asian women, as there is less likelyhood that u are related to them.

"the man, took shamoo out of the ocean and put him in a chlorine tank!" - school of rock

-Lauriebell's BF

Lauriebell82

hey sorry that was my bf who posted that above..he was kind of blunt, but i mean i think it is a little weird. ur kids may have genetic problems so that would be my major concern. also keeping anything a secret from people is usually a big mistake so maybe u should tell ur father becasue if he finds out another way he is probably going to be a lot more angry and will probably never understand. obviously ur a little ashamed, u may want to think about that.

The last thing I would do is judge you, but I gotta say that the whole situation sounds "twisted"....the bottom line is that you are related to this person....1st cousin, 2nd cousin, whatever....surely there's other people that you both could date....personally, just finding out that we were related would turn me completely off...instantly...