I'm dating my second cousin. Is that wrong?

phat_mike

Ok, so basically I have hooked up with a girl that I work with. We are very much in love but recently we discovered that our mothers are cosuins. So I guess that makes us second cousins but I am unsure.

We realise that there are genetic implications when it comes to having children but would a relationship be legal and moral?

Personally, I don't see a problem. Finding this out changes the way we feel about each other. And we were already in a relationship before finding out.

I kinda guess the replies will vary as alot of people may find it wrong and the rest will think it's right. Surely, we should do what we want and not what we think is right?

whichwayisup
we discovered that our mothers are cosuins. So I guess that makes us second cousins but I am unsure.

What are they? 1st or 2nd cousin? You and this girl are not second cousins.

My 1st cousin is my Aunts kid, my 2nd cousin is my 1st cousin's kid.

Actually the OP is correct. Your 1st cousin's kid is actually your 1st cousin once removed. ls3360 is right about them sharing a great grandparent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_cousin

To the OP, I have no idea about the legalities but I would think that would be pretty weird.

Sure it's legal.

But I think this is a decision what you both have to make. You didn't know so I wouldn't be freaking out about it but if your both ok with it and realize the whole genetic thing then go for it.

I would just be careful who you tell because some people will think thats just wrong for you and her to be together.

• Author
...Finding this out changes the way we feel about each other. And we were already in a relationship before finding out.

I meant to put 'Finding this out doesn't change the way we feel about each other'. I couldn't edit the post though

• Author
Sure it's legal.

But I think this is a decision what you both have to make. You didn't know so I wouldn't be freaking out about it but if your both ok with it and realize the whole genetic thing then go for it.

I would just be careful who you tell because some people will think thats just wrong for you and her to be together.

This is totally how I feel about it. It isn't like we grew up together or anything and both halves of our family don't bother - something to do with an argument. So it isn't like it is going to feel weird.

We actually decided to stay together yesturday after a chat about it. I feel that it is right and so does she. We only want each other to be happy really and we will be when we are together. I think it just sounds weird

This is totally how I feel about it. It isn't like we grew up together or anything and both halves of our family don't bother - something to do with an argument. So it isn't like it is going to feel weird.

We actually decided to stay together yesturday after a chat about it. I feel that it is right and so does she. We only want each other to be happy really and we will be when we are together. I think it just sounds weird

But how does she feel about it?

• Author
But how does she feel about it?

We both feel the same - she wants me and I want her. And we also want what will make us happy and that is each other.

• Author

Could somebody confirm this

If our grandparents are siblings we are second cousins and have the same great grandparents

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_cousin]

My mums mum and her mums mum are sisters making us second cousins right?

Could somebody confirm this

If our grandparents are siblings we are second cousins and have the same great grandparents

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_cousin]

My mums mum and her mums mum are sisters making us second cousins right?

I thought it went first cousins were your aunt/uncles kids and then second cousins were the first cousins kids. Because my first cousin is my aunt/uncle's son. Maybe I'm wrong but thats what I thought.

And actually I take that whole legal thing back becasue in somes states you can't now I looked it up more. But thats only if you were to marry.

I thought it went first cousins were your aunt/uncles kids and then second cousins were the first cousins kids.

Your first cousin's kid is your first cousin once removed.

• Author
And actually I take that whole legal thing back becasue in somes states you can't now I looked it up more. But thats only if you were to marry.

We are from the UK

• Author
This might help:

http://www.sonic.net/~fredd/cousins.html

It illustrates this pretty well. There are also links relating to the legalities of marriage, etc.

That is really helpful thanks. Anybody have any idea as regards to the law and getting married in the UK. I'm only 18 and she is 21 so it is very early days yet, but I guess it's best to know these things

Your first cousin's kid is your first cousin once removed.

You know what I'm so confused now. :laugh: :laugh:

Now if you go by that link posted it shows what I was talking about.

You know what I'm so confused now. :laugh: :laugh:

Now if you go by that link posted it shows what I was talking about.

Look at the chart in the wikipedia link I posted. It's pretty clear.

You can look up the applicable statutes in the UK online. It shouldn't be too difficult to find out.