living with a large person

Obesity itself often has psychological roots, which makes it MUCH harder to overcome than just by heading off to the gym. Many people use their weight as a "cushion" against the real world, even to subconsciously make themselves less attractive (especially in cases where people were sexually abused in the past). Some people turn to starvation, self-harm, compulsive exercise, etc. as coping mechanisms... others turn to food. Obesity can be a symptom of deeper issues. I think it's a shame this is often overlooked, because no amount of dieting or exercising will really help if the underlying problems aren't addressed.

I agree :)

SmoochieFace
It won't cure it, but it won't hurt it either. And hypothyroidism is also not an excuse to not get off your ass and go for a run. It just means you have to work harder. It's not an excuse for being obese.

I never said it was an 'excuse'. The point is that understanding the causes and finding solutions to obesity is more complicated than is commonly made out to be.

Now I hope you do know that it takes much more than just 'getting off one's ass and going for a run'. That is a very simplistic solution, don't you think?

You seem to be very passionate about this issue. Were you obese at one time?

Not likely :laugh:

I am just a very active, healthy person- My parents instilled the right eating habits and love of excerise that will hopefully see me around heart disease and type 2 diabetes.

We only have one body and we should cherish it.

I think it is very important to monitor what we ingest, and be careful how we treat our physical selves.

I have said this twice now in this thread and I will say it again... I am not condemning obese or overweight people with psychological, or genetic problems leading them to their state...

I will also notice, that for many- this is a comfortable excuse.

mental_traveller

i'm a 4.0 student, and i think it's easy. try telling someone who really tries and doesn't get a 4.0 that it's easier than they think. it's not. they are aware of the benefits of good grades, but that doesn't mean they can just make it happen, and it doesn't mean they're not trying.

That's because getting 4.0 requires skills. Going for a run, or doing 50 pushups & situps a day, requires no skills. Literally any able-bodied person can do it. So your analogy is a false one.

That's because getting 4.0 requires skills. Going for a run, or doing 50 pushups & situps a day, requires no skills. Literally any able-bodied person can do it. So your analogy is a false one.

Suppose person A can maintain a 4.0 with just paying attention in class, and person B requires an extra 8 hours a day of studying to do it. Person B decides to study an extra 4 hours a day to maintain a 3.0 instead. Does that mean person B is lazy?

I say, just get off your ass and go for a run.

This is a terribly simplistic view.

What irriatates me about my weight is the fact that I CAN'T eat anything! I love food. I can't eat. :rolleyes: I don't eat fast food at all.. and I learned a few tricks to cut calories without cutting my food consumption any more than I have... Like, no mayonaise, no cheese, no sugary drinks at all. But to be "thin" I can't eat more than 1000 calories a day.

I really hate the fact that when I run, I am soooo hungry the rest of the day. Starving.. and if I eat enough to fill up, then I start gaining weight. Quick too.

Last thought... the more I run, the BIGGER my thighs get. I'm not talking about a little thick, but HUGE. I hate it. I want those nice, trim atheletic legs the skinny girls have.. Sleek and thin... I was running 6 miles every other day, and I had these massive power house thighs.. I weighed 117lbs and I wore a size 8 pants just to fit my thighs. I'm tiny every where else.. (especially up top :rolleyes: ) Yet I can't seem to get those thighs that running supposedly benefits us with.. .Noooo.. I have to get these nasty, thick, huge thighs. Where's my motivation to run?!?!?!!! I still don't look like the freakin' models. I don't look like Pink. I don't even remotely resemble them!!!!!! I'm still short and squat... except now I'm more squat. So screw your "just run and you'll be thin" philosophy.

</sarcasm>

:p

I realise that some shapes can not be changed.

You sound very healthy.

My issue is not with weight/body image etc. my issue is about HEALTH. Just 30 minutes of walking a day can make ALL the difference.

Don't eat that piece of chocolate cake because it's there and then whinge about your slow metabolism later.

Unlike many of my "thin" friends who eat fast food, and their only cardio is sex and shopping, I work so f*cking hard too keep my body in peak physical shape- this is for health and fitness reasons.

I crticise their lifestyles just as much as I would crticise an overweight person with the same lifestyle.

P.S I eat about 1,200 calories a day and I am never hungry (unless I am training)- do some intense research on low calorie, low fat, yet high protein foods options that will eliminate hunger pangs.

P.S I eat about 1,200 calories a day and I am never hungry (unless I am training)- do some intense research on low calorie, low fat, yet high protein foods options that will eliminate hunger pangs.

The U.S. Committee on Dietary Allowance has published recommended energy intakes (number of calories) for various age and sex groups. For example, a 20 year-old women who weighs 128 lbs needs 2,200 calories every day to maintain her weight.
from Medline. It is not smart to reduce your calorie intake way below maintenance levels. And high protein foods aren't the best to eliminate hunger. Go look up 'satiety index' to know what really fills people up the most - most of the foods at the top of the pile are also very good for you.

But if you deprive your body of the calories it requires regularly, you throw your body into 'famine' mode and then are stuck with having to live on many less calories than you otherwise could enjoy.

People need to determine their necessary caloric intake with the help of their doctors; not just scales and calories. It's important to take your body makeup into account. I knew a guy who was 5'8" and 210 lbs. He wasn't fat; just *very* muscular (and wasn't even a weight lifter!).

Toni_no12002

How can you enjoy life properly if people are so busy obssessing about what they eat?I agree you shouldnt be obese but constantly worrying about if you had a few too many extras calories day in day out wont do any good for your body either.

SmoochieFace
How can you enjoy life properly if people are so busy obssessing about what they eat?I agree you shouldnt be obese but constantly worrying about if you had a few too many extras calories day in day out wont do any good for your body either.

It's called being a hypochondriac. :lmao:

Seriously though... it's not a good thing to be that obsessed over your body.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your height and weight? 1200 calories seems very low unless you're extremely short and petite. I lose if I go below 2000 a day, personally. Have you always eaten that little?

Last thought... the more I run, the BIGGER my thighs get. I'm not talking about a little thick, but HUGE. I hate it. I want those nice, trim atheletic legs the skinny girls have.. Sleek and thin... I was running 6 miles every other day, and I had these massive power house thighs..

:p

Running does the same thing to me. I'm slender, but if I run regularly, my legs bulk up. I think some people are genetically inclined to pack on leg muscle from running... it depends on your body type. I actually find that walking and hiking make my legs look better than running. Easier on the knees, too.

CrushedOrgans

i disagree. people are just as different from each other mentally as they are physically. i don't feel i have "skills" in getting good grades. it just comes to me. just as some people don't naturally gravitate toward exercise. it's in them...or an even better example, their parents teach them that as habit.

you don't think running is considered a skill? before my exercising days, i had to build up to a steady run...and even getting to a jog was a challenge then.

whether it's grades or physical activity, there is an "it comes easy to me" mentality or there is desire, motivation, and the means necessary to succeed.

CrushedOrgans

I crticise their lifestyles just as much as I would crticise an overweight person with the same lifestyle.

but why criticize anyone's lifestyle at all? i mean, you exercise and everyone congratulates you and all for that amazing feat, but it doesn't exactly make you special. at least, no more special than anyone else. i'm not special for having a 4.0 either...the grades are lovely, but the only one who really cares is me...and i would never criticize someone for having lower grades. it's got nothing to do with me.

SmoochieFace
but why criticize anyone's lifestyle at all? i mean, you exercise and everyone congratulates you and all for that amazing feat, but it doesn't exactly make you special. at least, no more special than anyone else. i'm not special for having a 4.0 either...the grades are lovely, but the only one who really cares is me...and i would never criticize someone for having lower grades. it's got nothing to do with me.

YES! :D

It's not a good idea to be someone who seems to 'have it all' and then proceed to 'down' those who are 'less fortunate' in their eyes. It's quite smug and arrogant and distasteful.

Toni_no12002
If you don't mind me asking, what is your height and weight? 1200 calories seems very low unless you're extremely short and petite. I lose if I go below 2000 a day, personally. Have you always eaten that little?

It true thats the amount of calories for when someone is dieting well 1,500 calories is.The normal amount of calories a woman should consume a day is 2000, for a man its 2500.

LOL okay.

I don't eat much but I am never left hungry.

I ocassionaly count my calorie intake for one day and I am usually about 1,200 calories.

If I attempt to eat more, I feel ill.

I have a very slow metabolism so this is fine for me.

I'm about 5"8 and I weight 58 kilos or 128 pounds.

I am perfectly healthy, and I eat extremely well. No processed foods, only organic vegetables. A lot of fish, and lean meats. High protein foods too(yes this does "fill you up" a lot more than anything else- to whoever said it didn't).

I criticize people who eat badly because I don't like the idea of being in a world full of overweight, unhealthy, people. Where over processed, saturated fat dripping food reigns ane every second person has type 2 diabetes and heart disease.

Most cancers can not be helped- let us not add to the list of things that will kill us.

Anyway, I am not asking for praise, I just hate hearing people whinge about how fat they are as they shove a piece of pizza in to their mouth- that's all.

*done*

I never claimed perfection.

Nor did I claim to "have it all".

I have many flaws which I will and have gladly shared with LS.

I would not consider the fact that I regularly exercise and eat well a basis for praise.

I was just mentioning it because I was asked why I was so passionate about this subject and enquired as to whether I myself was overweight at one stage.

I don't "expect everyone to be like me".

I just want everyone to treat their body well.

I am in remission, and I know first hand the pain and suffering our bodies can cause us- There are so many things that can strike you down, and I just feel we should eliminate risk factors to lessen the chances of illness.

This is just the way I will always feel.

Look at any random thread on LS and you will find condemnation of peoples choices, behaviours, and lifestyle- I don't see how MY OPINION on weight, and physical health is any different.

I am entitled to my opinion and you, to yours.

Just try not to do it in a nasty, bitchy way, and avoid personal attacks- it only reflects badly on you.

SmoochieFace
I just want everyone to treat their body well.

But WHY? That is what I don't understand. Why does it matter to YOU? Not 'picking' on you or anything but... if you treat YOUR body well and you are happy with it then why should it matter how other people treat theirs? Is your happiness for your body not enough for you? :confused:

ditto. i know you don't see it that way, but ditto.

Why exactly?

I am obviously wrong- but I thought I was pretty politically correct, and sensitive about my feelings.

My words are not critically of overweight people but rather their lifestyle choices, lessening their life span.

I know I am annoying that way- but not cruel.

You think I am passionate about obesity?

You should hear me go on smoking... :o

Wow, cat fight! meoooowwww! :laugh:

I think Pink's right. And I happen to agree with her.

Crushed, I think you are reading too much into what Pink said. You're imagining she said some things that she just didn't say, and imagining she said them with an attitude she didn't have.

Your kind of creating a straw woman of the kind of person you want to argue against, and projecting it onto Pink.

Just MHO. ;)

SmoochieFace
Wow, cat fight! meoooowwww! :laugh:

I think Pink's right. And I happen to agree with her.

Crushed, I think you are reading too much into what Pink said. You're imagining she said some things that she just didn't say, and imagining she said them with an attitude she didn't have.

Your kind of creating a straw woman of the kind of person you want to argue against, and projecting it onto Pink.

Just MHO. ;)

Okay... take a look at this quote and tell me what's 'wrong' with it. In the meantime, I'll tell you what I find objectionable about it. :)

"I criticize people who eat badly because I don't like the idea of being in a world full of overweight, unhealthy, people."

1. Not everyone who is overweight eats 'badly'. My GF is overweight but she eats primarily fruit, vegetables, and poultry. Wanna know why she is overweight? She has hypothyroidism - completely unrelated to her food intake. Even if she were to STOP eating (whcih no-one should ever do, obviously) she would still have much difficulty in losing weight. Criticising someone like her demonstrates ignorance.

2. Not everyone who is overweight is 'unhealthy'. My GF actually has lower cholesterol than I do - and I'm not overweight! :eek: She is in very good health... aside from the hypothyroidism... no heart disease, no diabetes, etc. She also exercises - another 'dig' at those who think all overweight people are 'lazy'. :lmao:

3. The statement also reflects a very prejudicial stance against those who are 'different' from her and also implies superiority. That has been discussed earlier.

4. It's also just wrong to criticise people for their life choices IF THOSE CHOICES DO NOT AFFECT YOU DIRECTLY.

Oh for godsake maybe place that qoute in context and you will find half the worlds western population feels the same way.

I did say overweight AND unhealthy.

As I have mentioned several f*cking times, there are some overweight people who are in perfect health.

My point is being stressed at every level around the world.

In fact there are political, social, nutitional and medical campaigns being run around the world which has this exact underlying message.

In most cases- Overweight= Unhealthy lifestyle.

Unhealthy lifestyle= bad news for our future.

I have not said anything groundbreaking or new here.

I am not prejudice against anyone.

I just don't like seeing sick people who don't have to be.

It makes me genuinely sad and concerned.

Anyway, I have said everything I had to say here and we are just going around in circles.

P.S Thank you Almost. I am indeed not a prejudice (very very far from it) and I don't believe myself superior for my lifestyle choices.