a wife that does not respect me

You don't desrve to be treated this way or made to feel inadequate. I got some advice for you. Stand up to her! Power isn't all about finances, it's about attitude. I don't care if she makes 100K and you make 30K. It's all well and good to be understanding, loving and supportive, but it better be reciprocated. If you are truly trying your best and her job is the reason you are living in an area that your career will be lacking in, tell her that! YOU are sacrificing for HER. Not the other way around. You will try your best and she will be happy with it. You won't be made to feel inadequate or a failure, period. If she truly feels you are inadequate and that she is so much better than you, perhaps she should explore all that green grass on the other side of the fence while you move back. You certainly wouldn't want to unduly burden her with your perceived inadequacy. You don't have to fight with her, but you have to have some spirit. Look her square in the eye and talk to her about how you feel in a firm strong voice. If she somehow perceives you as weak, it's time to dispel that nonsense!

On the flip side, if you'll be staying, maybe it's time to start a new career move for yourself. Don't stick with a dead end line of work. Get a little training in a related, but different field with some potential for upward mobility. You will sacrifice a little in the beginning, but in five years, you'll be better for it.