Picking up where we left off after one month

8 hours ago, Gaeta said:

he drives my car when we head somewhere together.

I don't think it's emasculating to him, otherwise he'd drive a car, right? Specially he can afford one.

Don't let someone drive your car. It's an insurance liability.

Is he a cheapskate? He seems to cut corners. And has from the start such as skipping a date altogether and just showing up at the door half dressed, ready for sex.

• Like 1
  • Author
1 hour ago, Wiseman2 said:

Don't let someone drive your car. It's an insurance liability.

Is he a cheapskate? He seems to cut corners. And has from the start such as skipping a date altogether and just showing up at the door half dressed, ready for sex.

I've informed myself to my insurance. If someone borrows my car occasionnally l am covered. If someone drives my car regularly then l have to add them as 2nd driver. My insurance does not charge extra for that.

No l don't feel he's cheap. l'm the one who skipped a date and asked for a home date instead of going out.  When he openned the door in his robe we still went out.

I'm seeing him tonight. We're doing an english activity so he can practice.

Happy Lemming
3 hours ago, Gaeta said:

Is he cooking dinner??  Or Takeout??  What is on the menu??

• Author
1 hour ago, Happy Lemming said:

Is he cooking dinner??  Or Takeout??  What is on the menu??

In the past he suggested dinner mid-week and l expressed on week days l want to head home after work, eat with my daughter then l can join him for an activity. You think it's too restrictive on my part? When school is over for summer l'll be more flexible but for now she is borderline graduating high school so l'm not running around, i'm home making sure she's investing her maximum in her study.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
Just now, Gaeta said:

You think it's too restrictive on my part?

Yes (just my opinion).  Eating together is a bonding experience.  Of course, feed your daughter a nice meal (for one), then go over for dinner with your guy.  Maybe pick up (or make) a couple small cupcakes as a dessert??

• Author
11 minutes ago, Happy Lemming said:

Maybe pick up (or make) a couple small cupcakes as a dessert??

I drive back and forth to see him at gas $1,90/liter ($7.18 a gallon) and l bring cup cakes?

10 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

I drive back and forth to see him at gas $1,90/liter ($7.18 a gallon) and l bring cup cakes?

Let him worry about the wining and dining if you are doing all the chauffeuring and driving. 

Is there a way you can reestablish things but discontinue the negative reasons you ended it?

Happy Lemming
Just now, Gaeta said:

This very well may be something stuck in my head (from my youth), but my mother just instilled in me to never go anyplace "empty handed".  So yes, (in my opinion) bring or make a couple small cup cakes or maybe a few cookies??  Or even some "tea cakes" to have with coffee or tea (after dinner)??

I'm sorry to hear about the price of gasoline... At $7.18/gallon that bicycle (and bicycle trail to his place) is sounding better and better!!  

Although "V" doesn't ride with me, I take my bicycle grocery shopping.  I up-cycled an old child carrier trailer into a cargo trailer.  I try to run all of my errands in my small town by bicycle, as the town has bike lanes for just about every road. 

• Author
7 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Is there a way you can reestablish things but discontinue the negative reasons you ended it?

There is no negative on my part and l hold no resentment. I'm looking forward to see him. I was reacting to @Happy Lemmingsuggesting l bring cup cakes. 

• Author
7 minutes ago, Happy Lemming said:

This very well may be something stuck in my head (from my youth), but my mother just instilled in me to never go anyplace "empty handed".  

Yes, if someone invites you for dinner you don't show up empty handed. I'm not eating with him tonight. I drive back and forth to see him so shouldn't he be the one waiting for me with cup cakes?

Did you both decide what kind of activity? Why not meet there at the location if it’s a hike or walk? No need to go over to his place. You’re not eating there.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
12 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

Yes, if someone invites you for dinner you don't show up empty handed.

Even when I was picking someone up for a date, I still tried to bring something.  My good ole stand-by was always "Trader Joe's" for flowers.  I could always find something affordable there.

• Like 1
  • Author

@Happy Lemming

As a woman l feel it's too much for me to do the driving, bring something, and his task is to open the door, hop in my car for an activity that cost nothing.

l understand as a gentleman you pick up your lady, bring her flowers, drive her to a restaurant and pay the bill. I get that. 

When he pays/drives to get to my home i'll feed him like a king.

l don't want to be (again) that woman that gives too much too soon. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

Exactly. That is what I meant. But do whatever you see fit. Why debate?

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
1 minute ago, Gaeta said:

OK... I get it.  I do hope you have a nice time tonight.

You mentioned some "English" lesson you are helping him with, what is his native language?? French??  I read somewhere that French is the official language of Canada??

• Author
14 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Exactly. That is what I meant. But do whatever you see fit. Why debate?

I'm not debating you, I agree he should worry about dinners and such for now as you mentioned above.

• Like 1
poppyfields

Gaeta, my advice is stop analyzing so much and do what YOU think is best. 

An occasional anecdote is fine, but you've got a lot of experience, you've got great instincts, you know what to do, what's right for you

So just do that, whatever it may be.  There no wrong or right because whatever you do, it will be the 'right' thing with the 'right' person. 

I'm not the be-all/end-all by any stretch but if I've learned anything it's that. 

Play it out, spend time, get to know each other, have fun!  ❤

• Author
41 minutes ago, glows said:

Did you both decide what kind of activity? Why not meet there at the location if it’s a hike or walk? No need to go over to his place. You’re not eating there.

It's like a meetup group getting together to practice French, English, Spanish, it's in a coffee place.

I don't mind picking him up. I have accepted I will be the driver for now. About going up to his place, I'll play it by ear. 

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
5 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

It's like a meetup group getting together to practice French, English, Spanish, it's in a coffee place.

Sounds like fun!!  Years ago, I was dating a woman whose mother only spoke Spanish. 

So I tried to learn a little Spanish (for a visit), so this girlfriend didn't have to translate everything.  I had also taken 4 years of French in High School.  For some reason my brain kept confusing the French I learned from years ago with the Spanish I had recently attempted to learn.  Every time I tried to speak to the mother, French, Spanish and English were all in one sentence.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Gaeta said:

Apparently Montreal and its subburbs have the most bike trails in north america. We're very european in this department. 

Portland, OR is the best in USA in terms of bike lanes on city streets and overall bike safety

6 hours ago, Gaeta said:

I've informed myself to my insurance. If someone borrows my car occasionnally l am covered. If someone drives my car regularly then l have to add them as 2nd driver. My insurance does not charge extra for that.

No l don't feel he's cheap. l'm the one who skipped a date and asked for a home date instead of going out.  When he openned the door in his robe we still went out.

is your kid on your insurance?  If so dies adding another matter?

43 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

@Happy Lemming

As a woman l feel it's too much for me to do the driving, bring something, and his task is to open the door, hop in my car for an activity that cost nothing.

l understand as a gentleman you pick up your lady, bring her flowers, drive her to a restaurant and pay the bill. I get that. 

When he pays/drives to get to my home i'll feed him like a king.

Ummm ….. don’t kings like to acquire new territory? Or at least send exploratory missions…..

• Author
37 minutes ago, Happy Lemming said:

You mentioned some "English" lesson you are helping him with, what is his native language?? French??  I read somewhere that French is the official language of Canada??

His native language is French and he needs to practice his English for an upcoming oral test related to his work position.

So Canada is officially bilingual meaning all federal services can be rendered in both languages. Québec is the only Province with French as official language. New-Brunswick is officially English-French, all other Provinces official language is English.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
15 minutes ago, Ami1uwant said:

is your kid on your insurance?  If so dies adding another matter?

Oh thanks! For reminding me the phone call l needed to make today. My daughter has her learning permit, she's insured with her driving school, driving schools are obligatory here. I need to know if she practices with me she is covered by that same insurance.

Happy Lemming
14 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

His native language is French and he needs to practice his English for an upcoming oral test related to his work position.

So Canada is officially bilingual meaning all federal services can be rendered in both languages. Québec is the only Province with French as official language. New-Brunswick is officially English-French, all other Provinces official language is English.

Thanks... Does he speak to you in French??

Je parle un peu français