Is it bad to not care about what other people think?

• Author

Yes thank you very much for the information!

Well as for short films from before, I do have some that I made for very little money.  I was told the acting was bad in it, and that was because I didn't spend a lot of money on actors, but I felt if I did with a feature, and save money for that, than hopefully the acting will be better.  The same goes for cinematography and sound, and hope that it will be better if I save and spend more money on it.

As for getting more actors interested in it, I would for sure try to pitch the script as best I can.

• Like 1
Cookiesandough

Don’t be afraid to independently fund… lots of ppl get their start independently nowadays 

Just now, Cookiesandough said:

Don’t be afraid to independently fund… lots of ppl get their start independently nowadays 

You know he's talking about a feature film here? 

• Thanks 1
Cookiesandough
16 minutes ago, basil67 said:

You know he's talking about a feature film here? 

Yes, basil… not everyone can get big $ studio financing out the gate… but what’s every successful filmmaker’s advice to aspiring filmmakers is : “Make films” … 

Kevin Smith, Spike Lee, Richard Linklater, Ed Burns etc etc  funded their starter films by themselves

Edited by Cookiesandough
  • Author

Well even if I am not qualified to do everything in the making of the movie, I was told by people I know that if I do not do that I will keep on wondering what if and keep on regretting if I don't.  Do they have a point?  Also I feel that by keep on putting it off that a lot of my insomnia issues that I talked about on here, would go away I think if I were to make it I feel just to say that I did it.  Some people who think I shouldn't say I am just doing it to try prove something to myself, but doing that a bad thing?

Cookiesandough

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

People can give you reasons all day long not to do something. Chase your dreams and pursue your passion(s)Do what you enjoy and makes you happy. What if someone had convinced Kevin Smith not to do clerks? It wouldn’t have been the 90s

Edited by Cookiesandough
Happy Lemming
8 hours ago, Cookiesandough said:

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

Yes... but you have to have appropriate funding to take that shot.

As an example, I can't purchase a project home without being able to pay for it or finance it.  Nor can I start a home and run out of money half way through the project.

I purchased one home (that was previously owned by a house flipper) who ran out of money half way through the project.  The bank was closing in on him (he had borrowed all he could) and he had to sell it to me for a very low price. (days before the bank was going to take it away from him) He loss big money on the home.  I had the cash to purchase the home and skills to complete his unfinished project.

What happens to @ironpony if he starts making this movie, miscalculates his budget and can't complete it?? And if he completes it what if he can't sell it to anyone??  There are acres and acres of movies on free streaming channels. 

He will need a "rock solid" plan or dare I say a contract to the buyer/renter/end user of his movie, otherwise you have a movie sitting on a shelf collecting dust with all of this money wasted.

• Like 1
Cookiesandough
1 hour ago, Happy Lemming said:

What happens to @ironpony if he starts making this movie, miscalculates his budget and can't complete it?? And if he completes it what if he can't sell it to anyone??  There are acres and acres of movies on free streaming channels. 

He will need a "rock solid" plan or dare I say a contract to the buyer/renter/end user of his movie, otherwise you have a movie sitting on a shelf collecting dust with all of this money wasted.

These are more of the excuses and reasons why not to do something that I was talking about. Of course it takes planning. Of course it takes effort. Of course there is the chance of failure. But he’ll live. He might regret it, but he also might regret it if he doesn’t try at all. Not saying to go in blind, but sometimes you have to try and take risks in life if it’s something you really want 

Edited by Cookiesandough
  • Author
10 hours ago, Happy Lemming said:

Yes... but you have to have appropriate funding to take that shot.

As an example, I can't purchase a project home without being able to pay for it or finance it.  Nor can I start a home and run out of money half way through the project.

I purchased one home (that was previously owned by a house flipper) who ran out of money half way through the project.  The bank was closing in on him (he had borrowed all he could) and he had to sell it to me for a very low price. (days before the bank was going to take it away from him) He loss big money on the home.  I had the cash to purchase the home and skills to complete his unfinished project.

Oh well if you mean to get a contract with a distributor before making the movie, I asked other filmmakers and they said that no distributor is going to take on a movie deal, if the movie hasn't been made yet.  They will want to see the movie first before deciding.  Unless they are wrong, but they said that is just their personal experience.

Happy Lemming
On 8/26/2021 at 4:44 PM, basil67 said:

@ironpony my friend is a writer for the small screen.  The company she works for comes up with a script, a cast and a plan, then they present it to different TV services to find funding. 

38 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Unless they are wrong, but they said that is just their personal experience.

It appears that  @basil67friend gets the project approved for funding, prior to filming.

• Author

Oh okay, for funding maybe, but not distribution.  I could try getting funding before, I just didn't think I would be able to get much realistically, and wanted to use my own as a back up plan if I didn't.  I just didn't think I was going to get any hand outs and it's a case of if you want something done, do it yourself likely, but it seems some people think that's a bad attitude?

Happy Lemming
1 hour ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay, for funding maybe, but not distribution. 

Whoever is funding it, has a distribution plan in place.  An investor isn't going to put his/her money into a project unless he/she has a plan to get it back out (with profit).

As a side question... Don't you think that you should learn the "life skill" of living on your own and supporting yourself in your own place, prior to learning the process of film production, distribution and funding??

• Author

Oh well it's just I really want to make the movie soon, cause I feel I want to get into the career I want soon.,  I guess I am just more ambitious about my career, than where I am living, but I guess that's just me.   There is also two actors I had in mind for certain roles, but they are getting older and feel I should move on it before they look too old for the parts. 

Well I could try to get funding but didn't think anyone would be interested but I can try.  If not, should I just use my money then, like some filmmakers have to...

Edited by ironpony
2 hours ago, Happy Lemming said:

It appears that  @basil67friend gets the project approved for funding, prior to filming.

In the case of my friend, it sounds like it becomes a collaboration between the small screen producer (TV network/steaming network) and her team.  It's a very different proposition to making a feature film for the big screen and then hoping someone picks it up.  

I would believe that in the case of the latter, you're right that he'd need an investor who's confident enough in the project to put their money down and expect good returns. 

• Thanks 1
Happy Lemming
2 minutes ago, ironpony said:

If not, should I just use my money then, like some filmmakers have to...

If you are asking my opinion, I would use (a portion of) the money (you have saved up) to learn how to live on your own (month to month lease).  This is a necessary life skill. Successfully living on your own and being independent should be your priority, not making a movie.

Learning some basic life skills will come in handy as you face both challenges and pitfalls.

“We have to learn to walk before we can run” -  E.L. James

• Thanks 1
  • Author

Oh well maybe I could do both?  I just really want to get into the movie career, and sick of working the jobs I have been working now.  If I could into the career I want, hopefully I could have more to pay rent as well if I rent.

8 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Oh well it's just I really want to make the movie soon, cause I feel I want to get into the career I want soon.,  I guess I am just more ambitious about my career, than where I am living, but I guess that's just me.   

It's one thing to have ambitions, but another thing altogether to have the skills to turn those ambitions into reality.

Thing is, our decision making processes are built through experience.  At this point, you're needing a lot of support in making basic life decisions in things such as what jobs to do, how to find a place of your own, what kind of budget you need.  How to deal with problems with co-workers and how to get fit.   

Kindly, if you are running a film project, you will need super high level decision making skills.  You will need to make these decisions independently and confidently.  Sure, you can ask experts who you hire, but you will have to decide which experts to hire. Until you're at the point of no longer needing to ask us randoms on the internet for film making advice, you're not ready to be making a film.

So start with the same basics we all do.  Learn how to find somewhere to live.  Learn how to pay your own bills and manage a household. Learn how to deal with a landlord.  When you can do those decisions on your own, it's time to up the ante.

• Like 1
  • Author

But don't I need a better job, before I can pay rent somewhere though?  I have been working jobs that do not pay well for years, so how do I get a better paying job first, before living on my own.  My friends and gf told me to go into the career I want and see how that goes, instead of just choosing to work low paying jobs all the time.

But I don't think that just because I don't live on my own right now, doesn't mean that I cannot make a feature, does it?  Another filmmaker I worked for has made some features so far, and he doesn't live on his own.

I could look into the low income housing as mentioned before, but I just feel that that is going to have some sort of hidden catch to it too.  Am I am just being netagive in thinking I will never get handouts in life, and have to do things on my own more without other people's help so much?

Edited by ironpony
Happy Lemming
11 minutes ago, basil67 said:

It's one thing to have ambitions, but another thing altogether to have the skills to turn those ambitions into reality.

Thing is, our decision making processes are built through experience.  At this point, you're needing a lot of support in making basic life decisions in things such as what jobs to do, how to find a place of your own, what kind of budget you need.  How to deal with problems with co-workers and how to get fit.   

Kindly, if you are running a film project, you will need super high level decision making skills.  You will need to make these decisions independently and confidently.  Sure, you can ask experts who you hire, but you will have to decide which experts to hire. Until you're at the point of no longer needing to ask us randoms on the internet for film making advice, you're not ready to be making a film.

So start with the same basics we all do.  Learn how to find somewhere to live.  Learn how to pay your own bills and manage a household. Learn how to deal with a landlord.  When you can do those decisions on your own, it's time to up the ante.

@ironpony Re-read this post, over and over again. 

@basil67 is spot on!!

• Like 1
  • Author

Well I can arrange a meeting with the person in the autism and disability support group to see if there is low income housing to rent.  However, if there is not, should I just look for a better job then before moving out?

5 minutes ago, ironpony said:

But don't I need a better job, before I can pay rent somewhere though?  I have been working jobs that do not pay well for years, so how do I get a better paying job first, before living on my own.  My friends and gf told me to go into the career I want and see how that goes, instead of just choosing to work low paying jobs all the time.

But I don't think that just because I don't live on my own right now, doesn't mean that I cannot make a feature, does it?  Another filmmaker I worked for has made some features so far, and he doesn't live on his own.

I could look into the low income housing as mentioned before, but I just feel that that is going to have some sort of hidden catch to it too.  Am I am just being netagive in thinking I will never get handouts in life, and have to do things on my own more without other people's help so much?

Do you need a better job to pay more rent?   Well, what does your research tell you?  What can you afford on your current income?

When people advise us to get going on the career we want so that we can afford nicer things, that advice generally doesn't include high risk situations.  High risk situations are for those who can recover easily from disaster.  

You don't need to live on your own to make a feature film.  But you need to learn to live independently from your parents.  

And the only catch when it comes to low income housing would be that if you start earning a lot of money, you would have to either pay more or find somewhere else to life.  Which you could afford to do if you start earning well.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Well I can arrange a meeting with the person in the autism and disability support group to see if there is low income housing to rent.  However, if there is not, should I just look for a better job then before moving out?

Don't just ask the question and get a yes/no answer.  Ask for connection to a support worker who can actively work with you to help find somewhere suitable.  

Edited by basil67
  • Author

Okay thanks, I will do that.  There some places where my job could afford to pay the rent, but it's only a temporary job though.  But I guess I don't have to live on my own after the job is up necessarily?

Another thing is my parents tell me it's a bad idea to pay rent and I should save up for a place to own because then I am not wasting rent money, which could be used to by a place I own.  Do they have a point?

Happy Lemming
1 minute ago, ironpony said:

However, if there is not, should I just look for a better job then before moving out?

I remember when I was first starting out, I worked two jobs to be able to pay all of my bills.

You may have to get a second part-time job (a couple of nights a week or every other weekend) to make ends meet.