Is it bad to not care about what other people think?

5 hours ago, ironpony said:

Oh I have made short films before.  I wasn't able to make money off of them, since people do not normally pay to see short films on those platforms, but instead I was able to make money from other jobs I have worked in order to make the feature film.  But I felt that eventually I just have to take the next step from shorts to features.  Is that bad though, if I didn't make the money from internet related jobs though?

People don't pay for the film.  Once you are established, and have some followers... then advertisers pay.  

• Author
5 hours ago, Blind-Sided said:

People don't pay for the film.  Once you are established, and have some followers... then advertisers pay.  

Oh pay for what? Just advertising the feature film?

I don't think that's going to happen though. I never gotten any type of handouts before and I don't think the calvary is going to come anytime soon which is why I have to do this myself I thought.

Edited by ironpony
20 hours ago, ironpony said:

Oh yes, but I feel I could use someone who is a planning expert to take care of that.  I am much more knowledgable in the technical filmmaking areas, and I feel I should concentrate there, where as someone else could handle the planning, unless that's not the way to go

So far, you're planning on hiring someone to figure out the budget for you.  And now you say you need someone who can run the project for you.  Skilled consultants don't come cheap, and these two people alone will cost more than you've got. 

Given that your knowledge of the industry isn't well rounded, you'd be far better off being hired by another filmmaker so that you can focus on what you're good at.  

Edited by basil67
  • Author

Oh okay, but I would like to break in as a director though as a goal, so wouldn't directing a feature film to market, be my best bet then, rather than rely on other people hiring me before doing such a thing?  I just feel I need a consultant of some sort, rather than doing everything myself.

Happy Lemming

Do you know any accountants that work on films??  Like the film you did the sound on, did that film have an accountant or accounting consultant??  If so, try to get some information about costs, fees, financial matters, etc. 

I really do think you need more information about actual dollars spent on these films.

I'd also be curious how the final costs compared to the budget.  (Actual vs. budget)

• Author

Well one guy I know made his feature film for only $480 USD and that's really cheep.  Everyone was working for free though, but the movie took a huge dive in quality as a result.  Others spend a couple of dozen grand on theres.  The one who spent $480 I know the best to pic his brain for it, but maybe I can have him consult on on getting away with maybe 30 grand or something of that sort.

10 hours ago, ironpony said:

Oh pay for what? Just advertising the feature film?

I don't think that's going to happen though. I never gotten any type of handouts before and I don't think the calvary is going to come anytime soon which is why I have to do this myself I thought.

It's not a hand out at all.  You get paid for your hard work.  (I think that's the point you are missing in all of this) The advertisers basically put commercials on the shot film either before it, or as a tag on it. (We are talking internet, not theater)   Also... like I said... it's after you start to establish yourself... so you have to produce some short films, and get a following before anyone will pay.  But it's a great way to 1) Get experience 2) Get fans 3) get $$$ for a longer movie.

Look at this web site we are on now.  I admit... it's gotten out of control... but this site has built a following, and now there are adds.  I'm sure this site is making the owners several thousand $$$ per month... and they aren't even doing anything.   AND... that leads me to a second point... if you do some shorts, and post them to platforms that pay (like youtube) those shorts will continue to pay long after you have finished with it.  

For what you want to do... you need to look past where you are... and look at ways of adding revenue streams to your income, using the skills you may have.  You can make a short film weekly, and post to youtube.  (8 to 10 min is all)

9 hours ago, basil67 said:

Skilled consultants don't come cheap, and these two people alone will cost more than you've got.  

I agree.  Before COVID shut everything down... I was an F&B consultant for hotels and resorts.  Some of the larger properties would pay upward of $70k for me to show up.  But, these were places that spent $200,000 or more just in groceries per month.  You need to do research, and do things on your own until you have the $$$ to pay for the real help.  

8 hours ago, ironpony said:

Well one guy I know made his feature film for only $480 USD and that's really cheep. 

What were the gross earning from it? Do you mean Steven Spielberg?

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Author

Oh I am not sure of the gross earnings from it.

The thing about making short films first, is that they cost money to make.  If I were to make say 20K on short films, I am worried that I may not get money for the feature and that is 20K that could have been used for the feature, if that mat makes sense.  I have already made short films before, but I feel that I am at a time and place in my life, where it's time get cracking and if I want something done, do it yourself, rather than spend money on doing something else, hoping that will get me more money as a result.

Happy Lemming

I still think you should try to live on your own and gather some independence (from your parents), before attempting to make a your film.

You may have issues/resistance (from your parents) if you begin to make your film and are still living under their roof!  You had stated (in the past) that they are not on board with this venture and attempted to stop you from spending your savings on the film.

Have you done any research on short term rentals (month to month) or extended stay hotels/motels in your area??

Being that you have never lived on your own before, this would be a "big step" towards making your dream of creating this film come true.

• Like 1

People are always going to have opinions.  Regarding making a film, let's say the worst case scenario is you lose all your money.  Best case scenario is that it gets picked up by a major distributor and you become a wildly successful director.  There are other scenarios that fall in between those two extremes.  Your family and friends have likely weighted these scenarios, and decided that the worst case scenario (or near worst case) is most likely, based upon whatever they know about you and the odds of success in the film industry.  You then need to weigh these scenarios yourself, to decide if you agree with them or not.  If you don't agree with their assessment -- or are willing to accept the worst case scenario as part of your risk analysis -- you go on your way and make your film.  You tell your friends, thank you very much, but I am going to take that risk of losing all of my money and am going to make my film.  And then you make a plan and make your film.  But, I have to be honest.  I can see where your family and friends are coming from, given the types of questions you ask here.  You seem quite naive about how the film industry works and disorganized as far as putting together a plan to make things happen.

• Like 2
  • Author
9 hours ago, Happy Lemming said:

I still think you should try to live on your own and gather some independence (from your parents), before attempting to make a your film.

You may have issues/resistance (from your parents) if you begin to make your film and are still living under their roof!  You had stated (in the past) that they are not on board with this venture and attempted to stop you from spending your savings on the film.

Have you done any research on short term rentals (month to month) or extended stay hotels/motels in your area??

Being that you have never lived on your own before, this would be a "big step" towards making your dream of creating this film come true.

That's a good point for sure.  I can definitely think about that.

• Author
9 hours ago, clia said:

People are always going to have opinions.  Regarding making a film, let's say the worst case scenario is you lose all your money.  Best case scenario is that it gets picked up by a major distributor and you become a wildly successful director.  There are other scenarios that fall in between those two extremes.  Your family and friends have likely weighted these scenarios, and decided that the worst case scenario (or near worst case) is most likely, based upon whatever they know about you and the odds of success in the film industry.  You then need to weigh these scenarios yourself, to decide if you agree with them or not.  If you don't agree with their assessment -- or are willing to accept the worst case scenario as part of your risk analysis -- you go on your way and make your film.  You tell your friends, thank you very much, but I am going to take that risk of losing all of my money and am going to make my film.  And then you make a plan and make your film.  But, I have to be honest.  I can see where your family and friends are coming from, given the types of questions you ask here.  You seem quite naive about how the film industry works and disorganized as far as putting together a plan to make things happen.

Oh well I studied directing a lot and took a course on it.  But I do not know as much about the producing side of things.  Wouldn't it be better to work with a producer rather than be the producer and director, or should I just try to stick to what I am good at and let someone else handle the producing side of things, that has more experience there?  I guess I just feel I can't do it all, but is that bad?

Its not a bad thing, but I don’t think its possible for you to not care what people think.

It takes a lot of confidence to do your own thing but by your posts here, you don’t have the life skills to do so yet.  You get tons of advice here that you never take, but you don’t make a move in any direction. 

I don’t understand. 

Other people don’t run your life but you don’t seem able to make your own decisions and you don’t take advice from actual professionals. You need a councillor or a life coach to help you sort out your life. Then you can “not care”.

Happy Lemming
1 hour ago, jspice said:

...but you don’t make a move in any direction.

100% agree

You are 37 & you only get one life to live... try something... anything...

Whether its moving out for a week or two or talking to a film production accountant or obtaining a life coach.  Do something to attempt to bring yourself some form of happiness. 

You don't seem happy in your present situation (living with your parents).  Are you??

At the end of the day, everyone should be seeking out their happy!!

5 hours ago, ironpony said:

I guess I just feel I can't do it all, but is that bad?

That you can't do it all is the first time I've read you saying something close to reality on the topic.   

If you have any further doubt, have a look at the credits at the end of a feature film.  I think it's nothing short of foolish to imagine that one person CAN do it all.  That's why they have so many people involved and one of the reasons why movies cost so much money. 

• Author

Well my gf suggested that I might have ADHD which is what has been keeping me from taking the leap into committing to spending that much money, so I am going to get tested for it soon and see if that's the case.

As for not wanting to do it it all in filmmaking, there are still indie films that are made for cheap, and maybe I can do that with just a couple of dozen thousand dollars, but, I still can't do it all and would need help of course.

4 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Well my gf suggested that I might have ADHD which is what has been keeping me from taking the leap into committing to spending that much money, so I am going to get tested for it soon and see if that's the case.

Given that you've got more questions than answers about this topic, I would hope that commonsense would also be preventing you from taking the leap!

Have you told your girlfriend that you're autistic yet?   If she's suggesting ADHD, it's time to be honest with her.

• Author
15 hours ago, clia said:

Well I feel that I learned about the directing part, just not much the producing part.  It seems to me that the worst case scenario is also the most likely, one, but if the worst case scenario is often the most likely one, then why do people refer it to as the 'worst case scenario', as if it's not the most likely?  Why not just call it the most likely scenario then in terminology?

On 8/9/2021 at 10:53 PM, enigma32 said:

If you have to come here and ask other people about making decisions without caring what other people think, I am thinking maybe you aren't ready for that yet.

As to your age gap relationship, ignore them. Sure, you will have some angry people, mostly a few bitter folks, but you will gain street cred with other men for the most part. 

Street cred with other men, is the most important thing in a relationship?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
1 hour ago, Angelle said:

Street cred with other men, is the most important thing in a relationship?

I just thought maybe the age gap would look bad at work for us.

Edited by ironpony
Happy Lemming
41 minutes ago, ironpony said:

I just thought maybe the age gap would look bad at work for us.

Again... unless there is a specific HR policy about co-workers dating (which you said there is not); what do you care how you look to your co-workers.  They are co-workers and nothing else. 

I know you follow the film industry, so I'll put it in those terms.  Co-workers are "walk-ons" in your life.  "Walk-ons" appear for a brief moment, play no significant role in the movie and are quickly forgotten.  Co-workers are the same way, they are briefly in your life, play no significant role and are forgotten about (once you leave that job).  Don't give them a second thought.

I don't understand why this worries you so much... these co-workers have no power over your life, so don't give them any.  If this woman brings you happiness who cares what these co-workers think.

The purpose of a job is to trade your services for money.  It is not to make friends. Go to work, do your job to the best of your abilities and collect your paycheck.

When I worked I was polite and professional with my co-workers, but that is where it ended.  They knew nothing of my personal life and that is the way it should be.

If someone came into my office and asked about my weekend, I always had the same line... "It was great, thank you for asking... Do you have an accounting question for me?"  99% of the time they did not and left my office.  You need to do something similar when faced with questions from your co-workers, be polite, give a vague answer and move onto the business at hand.

• Author

That's true, it's just that there is the stigma that people who have office romances are not taken seriously, so is there that to worry about?

Happy Lemming
5 minutes ago, ironpony said:

That's true, it's just that there is the stigma that people who have office romances are not taken seriously, so is there that to worry about?

Taken seriously??  Do you mean "being considered for a promotion" in that company??

First off, I don't date co-workers, whether its in the HR handbook or not.  I just don't like mixing business relationships with personal relationships.  That being said, I never really tried to move up in a company.  If the job I was doing was no longer challenging to me, I would move onto another company that did.  And with bigger challenges, came more responsibility and a bigger paycheck.

Is there room for advancement at your present job??  Is there an opening for a more advanced position with higher pay??  If so, I would discuss it with your direct supervisor and throw your "hat in the ring" and ask to be considered for that advanced position. 

If not, would do you care what others think... stigma or not, your paycheck isn't going to go up, so why worry about it.

• Author

I don't know if there is an area of promotion up for me, but for her, she is a supervisor compared to me, and I sometimes worry does it look bad for her.  She is not my supervisor and we work in different departments, but does it still look bad for a supervisor in general speaking?