Should I inititate the 2nd date?

Don't start trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole.  How he's acting is setting off your gut reaction for a reason - then you come to LS and everyone tries to talk you out of your very good sense by making excuses.  Like the hoodie loser.  People even speculated that he could be RICH and was testing you!  LOL

Everyone knows how it works.  This advice is old as time for a reason, because men like to chase.  They just do.  And you know how very common it is for men to just text and text and TEXT these days without ever nailing down a date, because texting takes zero effort and they like the attention, nothing more.  Lazy.

But sure, go ahead and ask him out for a real date that you pay for, hoping that this guy really is the exception and you read the whole thing wrong, he's just SO romantic with the poems, distracted by his growing interest that he forgot to want to actually see you again.

I honestly can't believe that I'm hearing when a guy doesn't get off his ass to ask for another date, offer one up and PAY.  Seriously?

• Like 8
introverted1

Count me in camp "do not ask him out."  This guy is presumably in his 50s and knew how to arrange a great first date.  This tells me how knows how to ask for a second date.

@Gaeta I don't know why he isn't asking but I don't believe it's because he is unsure of your interest. I think you can ask him to dinner or for an ice cream, but I am not sure you should. I think this risks one of two things:  1) you convey that your interest is greater than his and/or 2) you've encouraged his passivity in setting up dates.

Not relevant to this scenario but what I do when I am having a good first date and the guy pays is to tell him that the next one is on me.  That sends a clear message of interest and lets him know that I'm not expecting him to act as an ATM for our outings. I still let him do the asking.

• Like 2
CaliforniaGirl
32 minutes ago, SumGuy said:

Oh of course bringing in personal stuff, just because it is direct expereince that applies.  .

As do other people's experiences even if they're not yours; I'm not sure what the misunderstanding is here. :) Love bombing is a thing, we see it here frequently, and it is one consideration.

CaliforniaGirl
22 minutes ago, Allupinnit said:

Don't start trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole.  How he's acting is setting off your gut reaction for a reason

(snip)

This is my feeling too. Gaeta, if you weren't getting weird vibes, you wouldn't be here asking. Now, personally, I'd probably give it a second date - but I can't be 100% sure of that, because I'm not IN the situation. But since you're so on the fence, I thought it couldn't hurt. Either way, this much agonizing over one simple date is just a bridge too far...at this point you probably just want to scrap the idea of asking him out, and just let him keep sending you random poetry until and if he finally asks you out, or not. I think if I were this conflicted - pages of a thread worth of conflicted, that is to say - I'd probably just put him on the back burner and think of him as a nice old guy who likes to occasionally send poetry he's written in the past, and I'd be moving along to someone I felt way more comfortable with.

Remember that this is just me...but think about it...this much agonizing and wondering and so on? Is any of this worth it? You and this guy are still nowhere.

• Like 2
poppyfields

Gaeta, serious question.  What is it your find so appealing about this man and this situationship?  I mean you ask him a question in an attempt to get to know him, the man, and he ignores and responds back with another poem?

I’m sorry I find that condescending and offensive.  Not to mention utterly contrived and disingenuous.

I love poetry, I write poetry myself (not as much as I used to) and love receiving!  But NOT from a man I’ve men ONCE.

Again, phony, contrived, disingenuous, you could be an alien from another planet for all he knows, lol, and he’s sending you that *?  And I say * because it’s a Disney fantasy, straight from Cinderella, in fact I think there is something called the “Cinderella Complex” wherein women believe themselves to be princesses waiting for their prince to arrive to rescue them.

Rescue them from their loneliness, or from whatever they feel is lacking in their lives.  An emptiness.

Gaeta, my advice to you is become WHOLE.  I have worked hard to achieve that wholeness, and at this point in my life, I don’t feel I even need a man in my life to complete me.  I am complete AS IS.   I am happy and complete BY MYSELF.

What I need now is a man who is also complete in HIMSELF, and as two complete human beings, we connect.  And as such, my choices will be much more healthy and genuine than they have been in the past.  I do not need, nor am I attracted to, a Prince Charming fairly tale.

I mean no offense and I could be wrong, but you sound almost desperate to fill some sort of void in your life after your ex and you split.  Which is understandable, I have been there too!! 

And as such you are clinging to this contrived notion that a man should mirror or act like some romantic HERO from your favorite fairly tale.

Your attraction to this man is not healthy imo.  It’s not based on anything tangible that will help you grow and evolve as a woman and human being.

It’s all contrived, flowery poetic nonsense imo, I am sorry to say that.

I am not quite sure why you are allowing yourself to be taken in by that.   What happened?  Were you always like this?   I would have nexted him probably before the first meet when he first began sending me the contrived poetic missives that he's most likely sending to other women as well.

I am looking for someone REAL, someone genuine.  Someone who wants to get to know ME, the unique woman that I am, not sweep me off my feet by trying to be a romantic hero or prince charming.  But too lazy (or disinterested) to even ask for a second date.

Don't you want that for yourself too?

Edited by poppyfields
  • Like 2
Pumpernickel
1 hour ago, Gaeta said:

Our first date was dinner on him and l offer ice cream?

Well yeah, it's a low-key way of asking him out. "Hey, wanna go for ice-cream tomorrow?" (rather than planning and paying for a dinner; which you shouldn't do anyways)

He seems aloof with his poems and stuff, but I mean.....you'll never know what's going on if you don't see him ever again, might as well.....

• Like 2
poppyfields
10 minutes ago, Pumpernickel said:

you'll never know what's going on if you don't see him ever again, might as well.....

Oh I think she knows right now what's going on, which is that he's phony and essentially has nothing to say or offer.

These "poems" sound like boilerplates he may have written himself or not, that's he's collected over the years and sends to various women for the purpose of posing as some romantic HERO, but has zero intention of following through on.

It's an ego trip for him when women respond or even chase, it validates him as a man.  That's his only purpose imo.

I hope I am wrong but that's how I see this whole thing.

Gaeta, not only do I not think you should ask him out (and pay) but I would like to see you NEXT this bozo and begin searching for men who are REAL, who are genuine, who make an effort to get to know you, the unique and beautiful (inside and out) woman that you are.

Edited by poppyfields
  • Like 2
  • Author

To answer the question what l find appealing in this, it has nothing to do with the poems. I like him because of the way he treated me on our date, and l found him attractive, interesting, good conversationalist, good sense of humour. Often on my dates it's just me feeding the conversations.

Edited by Gaeta
Pumpernickel

@Gaeta Right, and it hasn’t been THAT long since your first date, either. He still has time to ask for a 2nd one. I wouldn’t yet jump to any conclusions in terms of he needs an ego boost, women’s attention validates his ego, his poems are boilerplate, he's a bozo etc. I mean, we don’t even know his poems, or him as a person. He might be multi-dating, just like you, and therefore might be busy. Nothing wrong with that. He could also be a total a**h***, too, sure - but right now nobody knows that. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Edited by Pumpernickel
  • Like 1
Pumpernickel
3 hours ago, poppyfields said:

I refer to my recent thread "Men Lead, Women Respond."

Has this one been re-opened?

poppyfields
10 minutes ago, Pumpernickel said:

@Gaeta Right, and it hasn’t been THAT long since your first date, either. He still has time to ask for a 2nd one. I wouldn’t yet jump to any conclusions in terms of he needs an ego boost, women’s attention validates his ego, his poems are boilerplate, he's a bozo etc. I mean, we don’t even know his poems, or him as a person. He might be multi-dating, just like you, and therefore might be busy. Nothing wrong with that. He could also be a total a**h***, too, sure - but right now nobody knows that. 🤷🏼‍♀️

You know what?  You are right, my post was my own assessment of him based on what's been posted thus far.

My assessment of him might be wrong, or it might be right.

Time will tell.  

I just think any man who is asked a direct question about himself and responds back with another poem, totally unrelated to the question asked, is a turkey.

JMO!  😆

Edited by poppyfields

This guy sounds like all words (and lots of poems too) but no action.  Time will tell, but I dunno, with every day passing and him not asking you out is not a good sign. Having said that, do ask him out and see what he says to that. If would be a shame to let him go completely if you feel that there might be some sort of connection. Invite him for a walk or a mini-golf or something.

Edited by Alvi
  • Like 1
  • Author

So.....

21h30 tonight he sent me another 10 lines poem with at the end 'how was your day'.

I read it at 23h only because l was too busy setting up dates with other men! I did not reply.....yet.

It's a lot of poems since last Thursday. He should start running out them soon. 

Edited by Gaeta
CaliforniaGirl
1 minute ago, Gaeta said:

So.....

21h30 tonight he sent me another 10 lines poem with at the end 'how was your day'.

I read it at 23h only because l was too busy setting up dates with other men! I did not reply.....yet.

You're kidding. Don't answer. You know he's not going to bother actually answering what you say and you'll just be more frustrated.

When this dude has something to say TO you that has any substance at all, sure, answer him then. He's spamming you and wasting your time.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Gaeta said:

So.....

Ha ha ha ha ha. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Gaeta said:

OH one detail. 

When we made contact online he asked for my number I thought he'd text me but instead he added me on whatsapp. At that time I could see when he was on whatsapp and his last time online. After our 1st date I noticed he disabled that option. I can see if he read my messages but can't tell if he's currently online or last time he was. 

Sounds married. Have you checked to see if he could be married?

and don’t invite him! He should make effort… and if he doesn’t - don’t bother!

poems are a lazy a$$ way of communicating at this stage! He can’t even type out his own words to express how HE feels? Give me a break - that screams immature and inadequate to me. 🙄 also screams he has no imagination.

He has plenty of time to send useless poems - why hasn’t he had the effort to set up a date?

he is likely empty emotionally and a time waster.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gaeta said:

"Roses are red, violets are blue, I've never been to restaurant X, have you"?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Alpaca said:

That’s still not asking someone out for a date!

1 minute ago, S2B said:

That’s still not asking someone out for a date!

I meant for OP to respond back with that.

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGirl said:

You're kidding. Don't answer. You know he's not going to bother actually answering what you say and you'll just be more frustrated.

When this dude has something to say TO you that has any substance at all, sure, answer him then. He's spamming you and wasting your time.

God yeah , what a moron, sorry Gaeta . All way too rehearsed this one , most likely from being single 30yrs.

• Like 3

Too much work already.
Complete waste of your time.
You may have been impressed with him,  but he is not really interested in dating you IMO.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, poppyfields said:

When a man sits on his ass, sending poems but taking no initiative or action to meet, it's passive and "feminine," which for many women is a huge YAWN.  Next. 

When women say they like a man that leads, what they mean is they like a man who leads them where they already want to go. 

This man is leading. He’s setting the pace. He’s in charge of whether or not they go out again. He’s deciding which questions of Gaeta’s he answers and which ones he ignores. And Gaeta is being passive…so all seems to be in tact…

Edited by Weezy1973
  • Like 1
  • Author
6 hours ago, Alpaca said:

Thank you so much for the laugh! Lol

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Gaeta said:

Sounds like spam he sends to a bunch of women. He wants an audience, not a date.

Just don't respond to nonsense like that.

Since he's not asking you out delete and block him.

• Like 3