On 12/18/2020 at 2:44 PM, introverted1 said:

The reported side effects (from the CDC) are:

There is skepticism about the safety of the vaccine amongst health care workers, which is being down-played in the media and/or presented as anti-vaxx fear.  This is the first mRNA vaccine ever and it stands to reason that the first generation of anything needs time to shake out.  It is a shame that the  benefits and limitations can't be openly discussed without the conversation devolving into name-calling and accusations of political motivation (or anti-science beliefs). 

Here in the U.K., I’ve not seen or heard any health care workers expressing skepticism about the safety of the vaccine. All the health care workers among family and friends here have had theirs (first dose, at least) and the only side effects they’ve reported are some pain at the injection site (je person) and some fatigue the next day (two people). I’ve had worse reactions to the flu vaccine (which doesn’t stop me getting it). 

There is some concern that it may be less effective at countering some of the newer mutations (Brazil & SA variants) but that’s not stopping anyone taking it when they qualify, among people I know personally. 

25 minutes ago, Prudence V said:

Here in the U.K., I’ve not seen or heard any health care workers expressing skepticism about the safety of the vaccine. All the health care workers among family and friends here have had theirs (first dose, at least) and the only side effects they’ve reported are some pain at the injection site (je person) and some fatigue the next day (two people). I’ve had worse reactions to the flu vaccine (which doesn’t stop me getting it). 

There is some concern that it may be less effective at countering some of the newer mutations (Brazil & SA variants) but that’s not stopping anyone taking it when they qualify, among people I know personally. 

Thing is, they are concerned about more long term effects on the body, maybe 5 or 10 years from now. My co-worker, and her family, has been taking Covid protocols seriously, is passing on this vaccine (for now?) as she says that the mRNA experiments with cancer cells have proven unsuccessful. 

That said, sounds like she'll be wearing a mask and socially distancing until we achieve herd immunity. 

But...I keep falling back on my 70-ish year old mom's small pox vaccine scar which contributed to the eradication of the virus.

Edited by QuietRiot

Our fall-back health 'system' for the uninsured in Harris County runs out of vaccines at noon, so appointments are being temporarily cancelled. https://abc13.com/ben-taub-vaccinations-vaccines-at-harris-county-health-covid-19-vaccine-supply-coronavirus-hospital/9880183/

I'm sure that equally there are vaccines sitting around in some facilities as yet unused. There's a map of general availability https://tdem.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3700a84845c5470cb0dc3ddace5c376b but it's on most people to call around and see who has any and hope there's some left on the day.

It's a production issue and co-ordination issue also by the look of it.

We'll get there!

6 hours ago, Piddy said:

If you try to register online I would recommend that you keep refreshing the screen.  I must’ve refreshed it close to 20 times or more before I got in.

I’m sure people give up too soon. 

I set up an auto-refresh script to run every two minutes. I'd do it faster, but I don't want to contribute to overloading. I'll get a notification on my phone whenever the text on the page changes.

6 hours ago, Piddy said:

Good luck. 

Thanks!. While my mom does want it as soon as possible, there's no particular rush at the moment. She wants to travel out of the country. She was unable to attend several funerals (sister, niece, and nephew) over the last year.

• Like 2

It looks like I no longer have to deal with the registration for my mom. One of her sewing clients, a nurse, has offered to get her set up. She'll be getting the first shot later this week.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Happy Lemming

My girlfriend got her first vaccine shot, yesterday.  She said everything was very organized and she was in and out in about 45 minutes. 

HappilyMarried

I am happy that my son who is a 3rd year dental student received  his 2nd dose of the Pfizer Covid vaccine last Tuesday. I will be receiving my 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine tomorrow evening. Also out of the blue this evening my wife gets a call from our local Walgreens that they had 5 extra doses and ask if she had her a vaccine shot yet so we were there in 10 minutes and she got a happy and unexpected surprise of getting her first dose of the Moderna vaccine. So as bad as this virus has been hopefully for my family in about 6 weeks things can get back to some type of normalcy. I hope. lol

First doses of the Pfizer vaccine have touched down here in Aus. We're quite a bit slower to get started, albeit for a very good reason (next to no community transmission - although now I'm stuck in a third lockdown 😡!).

My mother works on the front line so will be in the first round of vaccinations. A little frustrated I have to wait, but I look forward to receiving my doses when it's my turn. 

It's early days for Covid vaccines globally, but early signs are looking really good.

• Like 1
HappilyMarried
4 hours ago, snowboy91 said:

First doses of the Pfizer vaccine have touched down here in Aus. We're quite a bit slower to get started, albeit for a very good reason (next to no community transmission - although now I'm stuck in a third lockdown 😡!).

My mother works on the front line so will be in the first round of vaccinations. A little frustrated I have to wait, but I look forward to receiving my doses when it's my turn. 

It's early days for Covid vaccines globally, but early signs are looking really good.

I have had now two doses of the Pfizer here in the States. I had 2nd one on Sat. I have done very well no side effects (knock on wood) so far.

• Like 1
On 2/16/2021 at 11:50 AM, HappilyMarried said:

I have had now two doses of the Pfizer here in the States. I had 2nd one on Sat. I have done very well no side effects (knock on wood) so far.

I just had my second dose of the Moderna vaccine on Tuesday.  I had no side effects after the first shot, but did have some after the second which many have experienced I've heard including Dr. Fauci.  I had a slight headache, body ache, lethargic etc.  Aspirin seemed to help.  Nothing real bad though.  I played golf yesterday and shot a 77, so it didn't hurt my golf game. 🏌️‍♂️

Curious @HappilyMarried what is your blood type?  I'm Type A.  My niece heard that Type A sees more side effects with Type O seeing the least.  Just anecdotal, but on my golf forum the type A's have seen side effects.  More are going to report once they get their second vaccine.   There may be something to this blood type thing.  See below.

Source: WebMD  

"Blood Type May Predict Your Risk For Severe COVID

The findings suggest that people with A, B or AB blood may be more likely to be infected with COVID-19 than people with type O blood. Infection rates were similar among people with types A, B and AB blood."

The other study included 95 critically ill COVID-19 patients hospitalized in Canada. Patients with type A or AB blood were more likely to require mechanical ventilation, suggesting that they had greater rates of lung injury from COVID-19.

More patients with type A and AB blood required dialysis for kidney failure, the study added.

The results suggest that COVID-19 patients with A and AB blood types may have an increased risk of organ dysfunction or failure than those with type O or B blood, according to the researchers."

Edited by Piddy
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, HappilyMarried said:

I am type A blood type.

OK, blows that theory up. lol  Seriously, I'm sure it's not all Type A's that feel some side effects.  My wife is Type O and hasn't got hers yet.  I hope the Type O no side effects works in her case. 🙂

Edited by Piddy
HappilyMarried
11 minutes ago, Piddy said:

OK, blows that theory up. lol  Seriously, I'm sure it's not all Type A's that feel some side effects.  My wife is Type O and hasn't got hers yet.  I hope the Type O no side effects works in her case. 🙂

Yea true I have actually on the news up in my neck of the woods it seems that a lot more people are having more side effects from the Moderna vaccine as compared to the Pfizer one.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

My girlfriend is Blood Type A.  She has had no side effects from the Pfizer vaccine (first dose) that she received last week. 

• Like 1

I had the first Moderna version yesterday.  Today, I have a slightly sore arm - less than when I got flu, pneumonia, and shingles vaccines, which also make me feel a bit sick the next day.  In a few months, there will probably be a booster to protect against variants for which the original isn't as effective, particularly the S. African strain.

2 hours ago, HappilyMarried said:

Yea true I have actually on the news up in my neck of the woods it seems that a lot more people are having more side effects from the Moderna vaccine as compared to the Pfizer one.

Yeah, I heard that Moderna uses a stronger dosage.  But who knows.  

2 hours ago, Happy Lemming said:

My girlfriend is Blood Type A.  She has had no side effects from the Pfizer vaccine (first dose) that she received last week. 

I haven’t met anyone who had any side effects from the first dose.  Except for a sore arm.

1 hour ago, central said:

I had the first Moderna version yesterday.  Today, I have a slightly sore arm - less than when I got flu, pneumonia, and shingles vaccines, which also make me feel a bit sick the next day.  In a few months, there will probably be a booster to protect against variants for which the original isn't as effective, particularly the S. African strain.

Yeah, they’ll have to stay ahead of the variants the best they can.  Peoples immune systems vary.  If they say I need a booster I’ll be there.

• 2 weeks later...
Happy Lemming

My state started a "hybrid" program for individuals 55+ to get the Covid-19 vaccine.  Our governor authorized 50,000 doses for those 55+.  Being 55 years old, I registered and after fighting with the website for an hour, I got an appointment to get vaccinated next week.

50 minutes ago, Happy Lemming said:

I got an appointment to get vaccinated next week.

That's awesome!  My State hasn't even been able to get through the first tier of over 65.  I just turned 56, I'll probably have to wait a few months.  

Happy Lemming
1 hour ago, FMW said:

My State hasn't even been able to get through the first tier of over 65.  

My mother lives cross country from me and is still waiting for an appointment to get vaccinated (in her state).  She is 82.

• Sad 1
HappilyMarried
3 hours ago, Happy Lemming said:

My mother lives cross country from me and is still waiting for an appointment to get vaccinated (in her state).  She is 82.

That's sad she should have had it by now so sorry.

• Thanks 1
Happy Lemming
1 minute ago, HappilyMarried said:

That's sad she should have had it by now so sorry.

I've visited various web-sites trying everything I know to get her an appointment, but she is still in a holding pattern.  I check about 3 times a day for any changes to the availability, but nothing has changed for her.

• Mad 1
4 hours ago, Happy Lemming said:

I've visited various web-sites trying everything I know to get her an appointment, but she is still in a holding pattern.  I check about 3 times a day for any changes to the availability, but nothing has changed for her.

That's tough. I hope your mother receives the vaccine soon. 🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1