Happy Lemming

At her request, I helped my girlfriend "pre-register" for her Covid-19 vaccine.  She was a little confused by all of the computer work required to pre-register, so I did that for her.  Moreover, her phone was unable navigate through the web-site, whereas my "Fire Fox" browser did it with ease.

Tomorrow, registration begins... fingers crossed the web-site doesn't crash.

She qualified to get the vaccine ahead of me, but when I get the green light to "pre-register" I've got the web-site "book marked" in my browser. 

• Like 1
littleblackheart
4 minutes ago, Ellener said:

The UK is vaccinating 140 people per minute now! https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55694967 Go NHS!!!

⚕️

There's a vaccination queue calculator that gives you an indication as to when you are likely to get your first shot. I've just done it and I'm scheduled to have it July 2021! Pretty excited!!

Go NHS indeed 🙂

51 minutes ago, littleblackheart said:

There's a vaccination queue calculator that gives you an indication as to when you are likely to get your first shot. I've just done it and I'm scheduled to have it July 2021! Pretty excited!!

Go NHS indeed 🙂

At least it's there, it's chaos trying to even sign up in US right now...appreciate what you have!

Hopefully everyone will be vaccinated by the end of the year but it's a global challenge that's for sure.

littleblackheart
Just now, Ellener said:

At least it's there, it's chaos trying to even sign up in US right now...appreciate what you have!

Hopefully everyone will be vaccinated by the end of the year but it's a global challenge that's for sure.

I do! I understand we are lucky here. I feel July 2021 is really soon, I wasn't expecting to be vaccinated before 2022. I get that it's not the case everywhere. It came out wrong and insensitive, I'm sorry 🙂.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, littleblackheart said:

I do! I understand we are lucky here. I feel July 2021 is really soon, I wasn't expecting to be vaccinated before 2022. I get that it's not the case everywhere. It came out wrong and insensitive, I'm sorry 🙂.

No worries!

I think we would all have coped better if the medical advice from the start had said 'pandemics take 2 years' ( 1918,1957, 1968 all did ) and our expectations weremore realistic, but things are progressing now. I knew it would be difficult here with the 'fragmentation'- 50 states, no health service.

Wonder how long we'll all be talking about it? I don't remember the last pandemic, I was too young, but I don't recall it being a big factor in my childhood once it was done with...except for the bereaved of course. 

There are signs everywhere here 'vaccine available soon' so in a few weeks I should have plenty of choice where to get mine. And I have been even more social-isolating since the strains mutated and the announcement some people get infected more than once but it feels like there's an end in sight.

Hung a flag 'Thank you essential workers' 👏🏾

• Thanks 1

Texas seems slow but apparently a million plus people got vaccinated so far https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/coronavirus/2021/01/18/data-texas-has-vaccinated-about-9-of-estimated-phase-1-recipients/ :

A total of 166,834 people in the state have been fully vaccinated, and over 1.1 million individuals from the Phase 1 population, which is estimated to include 13.5 million individuals total, have received at least one dose. The Phase 1 population includes Phase 1A, which includes health care workers and nursing home residents, and Phase 1B, which includes everyone over age 65 and people over age 16 with certain medical conditions.

About 5% of the entire state population of people age 16 and over—almost 22.5 million—has received at least one dose. Children under age 16 are not yet allowed to take the vaccine.

I'm in the phase 1B group.

Happy Lemming

Well, I tried to help my girlfriend register for her Covid-19 vaccine and the web-site crashed.  I guess everyone had the same idea to log on as soon as they opened up appointments.

I've been trying to log back in for her for the last 3 hours with no success. 

She tried to call the "help" number and all she got was a recording.

I told her we will try again in an hour or so.  What is that old saying about the best laid plans going awry...

Any who, it is out of our control... at least we tried. 

Maybe we'll have better luck this afternoon or tomorrow.

• Sad 1

Hopefully the availability will increase significantly in the next 6 weeks (that's the time period that I heard was estimated for any new supply and manpower efforts to be fully operational). I'm hoping to be able to get mine by the end of April.  We'll see how that works out!  In the meantime, I'm hoping my 74 year old mother will be able to get hers within the next month, she's signed up but has no definite date yet.  She lives in an area of the country that doesn't take the safety precautions seriously.  

• Like 1

I'm waiting patiently for myself (it's required for the field I am entering), but they just extended the priority of vaccinations to include seniors aged 65 and older in my state, which I'm glad about for my parents, but there is minimal supply. 

Edited by Alpaca
  • Sad 1

I just got the call I've been waiting on... scheduled for next week. We are in phase 1b now (2nd major group), and my employer has been working with the health department to make it available ASAP. I'm really thankful that we're getting it before the more transmissible mutant version gets here. Hoping everyone else who wants it can get it sooner rather than later.

• Like 3
Happy Lemming

Good News... after four hours of logging in and out, I finally got my girlfriend an appointment for her Covid-19 vaccine.

The web-site would come up and crash again... up and down, but it finally stayed up long enough for me to get her an appointment and confirmation number. It wasn't an ideal time of day, but it was acceptable.

Edited by Happy Lemming
  • Like 5

I got my first vaccine shot yesterday.  It’s the Moderna vaccine.  Get my second shot 4 weeks from now.  Waited in line for about an hour.  

Everyone sits in their car and gets the shot while sitting in their car.  They had the Army there as well helping.  Pretty well organized and it went smoothly.  

It would’ve moved faster, but you have to wait 15 minutes to make sure you don’t get a reaction.  I asked the lady if they had anyone get a reaction and she said no.

Edited by Piddy
  • Like 5
23 hours ago, Piddy said:

I got my first vaccine shot yesterday.  It’s the Moderna vaccine.  Get my second shot 4 weeks from now.  Waited in line for about an hour.  

Everyone sits in their car and gets the shot while sitting in their car.  They had the Army there as well helping.  Pretty well organized and it went smoothly.  

It would’ve moved faster, but you have to wait 15 minutes to make sure you don’t get a reaction.  I asked the lady if they had anyone get a reaction and she said no.

Friend of mine at work, though she takes Covid seriously...she's passing on the vaccine as she doesn't trust an mRNA vaccine as opposed to the typical attenuated virus. She said when scientists ran experience with mRNA vaccines for other purposes...they were never a success in other situations and that an attenuated (dead virus) should be the way to do this. 

Like many, she said she never had the flu shot and never had the flu....and this is how they rationalize not getting the Covid vaccine as well.l

"Well, I've never been sick, so I won't need it" attitude.

Which is true, some people have gone many a flu seasons without getting sick, even tempted fate by avoiding the Flu vaccine as well, and they feel that this will run in parallel with Covid

Edited by QuietRiot
4 minutes ago, QuietRiot said:

Friend of mine at work, though she takes Covid seriously...she's passing on the vaccine as she doesn't trust an mRNA vaccine as opposed to the typical attenuated virus. She said when scientists ran experience with mRNA vaccines for other purposes...they were never a success in other situations and that an attenuated (dead virus) should be the way to do this. 

Like many, she said she never had the flu shot and never had the flu....and this is how they rationalize not getting the Covid vaccine as well.l

"Well, I've never been sick, so I won't need it" attitude.

Which is true, some people have gone many a flu seasons without getting sick, even tempted fate by avoiding the Flu vaccine as well, and they feel that this will run in parallel with Covid

The odds are eventually their luck will run out.  For me it’s like playing Russian roulette.  
I have no reservations taking vaccines.  

COVID is much more contagious and deadly than the flu.  Why take that chance is my attitude.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Piddy said:

The odds are eventually their luck will run out.  For me it’s like playing Russian roulette.  
I have no reservations taking vaccines.  

COVID is much more contagious and deadly than the flu.  Why take that chance is my attitude.

Well, I guess at her age, 21, she has no concerns.

On 1/20/2021 at 7:08 AM, Piddy said:

I got my first vaccine shot yesterday.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you get it so quickly? I'm periodically refreshing the registration page for my county so I can get my mom (over 65) signed up since she wants it as soon as possible. I'm thinking about automating the process and having it send an alert to my phone once registrations are available again.

1 hour ago, Shining One said:

If you don't mind my asking, how did you get it so quickly? I'm periodically refreshing the registration page for my county so I can get my mom (over 65) signed up since she wants it as soon as possible. I'm thinking about automating the process and having it send an alert to my phone once registrations are available again.

I just happen to catch it on the local news.  I registered and got in.  The first time two weeks ago I wasn’t able to get in.  Just the luck of the draw I suppose.

I expect to see things ramp up as the new administration wants 100 million vaccines in peoples arms  in 100 days.  

Edited by Piddy
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Piddy said:

I just happen to catch it on the local news.  I registered and got in.  The first time two weeks ago I wasn’t able to get in.  Just the luck of the draw I suppose.

My county has stopped taking registrations online for now and directs us to call a number... which has a recording saying all appointments are booked. Oh well, I'll keep trying periodically.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Shining One said:

My county has stopped taking registrations online for now and directs us to call a number... which has a recording saying all appointments are booked. Oh well, I'll keep trying periodically.

What state are you in?  I’m in Florida and each county has it’s own process for vaccinations.  

For example Publix which is a large grocery store in Florida is mainly doing vaccines in rural locations.  Once more vaccines become available they’ll include more populated areas.

My county has two vaccine locations.  One at a parking lot at an abandoned Sears store and the other across the county at a college.

Again,  we’ll see a difference now that we have competence at the helm.   

Edited by Piddy
1 minute ago, Piddy said:

What state are you in?

I'm also in Florida, which is why I asked you about your experience.

15 hours ago, Shining One said:

I'm also in Florida, which is why I asked you about your experience.

If you try to register online I would recommend that you keep refreshing the screen.  I must’ve refreshed it close to 20 times or more before I got in.

I’m sure people give up too soon.  Good luck. 

Edited by Piddy
  • Thanks 1
On 1/21/2021 at 2:26 PM, Wiseman2 said:

🙁  In London, where the new, more contagious variant of COVID-19 has spread quickly, one in 30 people is infected.

I’ve heard from extended family in London that coffee shops are open, and it all looks like “business as usual” - despite the lockdown. I’m guessing that this blatant flouting of the rules is why it’s such a plague hotspot. Up north, we’re battling floods and blizzards and chillaxing over a latte at our favourite independent coffee shop is very, very low down the priority list.