Is there really a god?

HokeyReligions

Atheists can care for people and animals. Who is disputing this? Not me.

I may not agree with your belief, but you seem to think I am putting you down for feeling sad for your unbelief. I'm not. If you have pity for me because you think I'm wasting my time in believing in God, then, you show you have feelings, and to me, that's a start.

:)

I'm not disputing that and I didnt' thiink you were putting me down - I'm sorry if my post came across tha way.

It's not so much pity that I feel for you (or anyone) but sadness that others don't get the pure joy that I get from loving and being loved by animals. I feel they are missing out. My mother feels bad that I am missing out on something she believes in--God.

I can't force others to feel as I do about animals just as a Christian can't be forced to not believe. Christians can (and do) witness to others in an effort educate them and 'show them the way' to believe. I try to educate people in caring for animals and understanding that animals have real emotions and feelings too. Ultimately it is the choice of the individual to accept or reject what is presented to them.

IhavenoFREAKINclue

I didnt read all the responses but heres my 2 cents. I, personally, don't believe. Aside from the fact that there is no proof, to me I cant believe in something that was forced upon us. I think Christianity is what it is today from people forcing this notion on us. Back in the day the hard core believers used to kill, torture people to believe what they do. Therefore people had no choice what to believed, they were forced. Also, I think "God created people" is horses*** too!

I'm not disputing that and I didnt' thiink you were putting me down - I'm sorry if my post came across tha way.

It's not so much pity that I feel for you (or anyone) but sadness that others don't get the pure joy that I get from loving and being loved by animals. I feel they are missing out. My mother feels bad that I am missing out on something she believes in--God.

I can't force others to feel as I do about animals just as a Christian can't be forced to not believe. Christians can (and do) witness to others in an effort educate them and 'show them the way' to believe. I try to educate people in caring for animals and understanding that animals have real emotions and feelings too. Ultimately it is the choice of the individual to accept or reject what is presented to them.

My dad is dead. he has been for 22 yrs. I know there's a Heaven and he's there now. He was such a wonderful person that there is no way he just dropped off of everything and now after he lived 41 yrs he's just a thought in the minds of the ppl that knew him and nothing else?

I'm so sorry you seem to think that of your mother; will think that of her, that is. :(

whichwayisup

:mad: My father died 13 years ago. He was an ANTHEIST! Big time! He believed in US, his family. WE are the ones who got him through his cancer, WE were the ones holding him when he died. Not GOD. Sorry. There is no "perfect" death, there is proof he went to heaven. Or the other place...

I'm not sad for him. That was HIS belief. And ya know what? I'm fine with that. It's what he chose to believe in life.

:mad: My father died 13 years ago. He was an ANTHEIST! Big time! He believed in US, his family. WE are the ones who got him through his cancer, WE were the ones holding him when he died. Not GOD. Sorry. There is no "perfect" death, there is proof he went to heaven. Or the other place...

I'm not sad for him. That was HIS belief. And ya know what? I'm fine with that. It's what he chose to believe in life.

No, there is no perfect death. You are right. My dad died of kidney failure. He'd spent 2 yrs on a dialysis machine. I can't say my dad's pain was greater than your dad's. I can't say my dad was saved when he died, as you say your's wasn't. I can't. I can only believe the dream of a 14 yr old girl who asked God before she went to sleep to let her know where her father was. Heaven or Hell.

He granted me that request and now I sit here proclaiming the truth of it to you and anyone else who will read.

It is truth because He told me so.

whichwayisup
No, there is no perfect death. You are right. My dad died of kidney failure. He'd spent 2 yrs on a dialysis machine. I can't say my dad's pain was greater than your dad's. I can't say my dad was saved when he died, as you say your's wasn't. I can't. I can only believe the dream of a 14 yr old girl who asked God before she went to sleep to let her know where her father was. Heaven or Hell.

He granted me that request and now I sit here proclaiming the truth of it to you and anyone else who will read.

It is truth because He told me so.

It all just comes down to what it inside our hearts. My dad didn't need to be "saved." I know he's at peace. He isn't suffering anymore.

Sorry about your dad too. Death sucks!

It all just comes down to what it inside our hearts. My dad didn't need to be "saved." I know he's at peace. He isn't suffering anymore.

Sorry about your dad too. Death sucks!

I guess we can agree on that, then? You are happy your dad is where he is, with your belief, and I am definitely happy my dad isn't suffering where he is, with my belief.

Thanks for the chat, whichwayisup. :)

whichwayisup
I guess we can agree on that, then? You are happy your dad is where he is, with your belief, and I am definitely happy my dad isn't suffering where he is, with my belief.

Thanks for the chat, whichwayisup. :)

Anytime. We'd probably do better on threads that don't include religion, eh? :cool:

Anytime. We'd probably do better on threads that don't include religion, eh? :cool:

Religion does tend to get people's hackles raised, as we say in these parts. I can't talk to my own family about it, they have strict Baptist views, I don't; not even politics. Who likes GW Bush, who doesn't. LOL :laugh:

whichwayisup

Two things I rarely discuss, because it brings out TOO much passion and leads to arguments...Religion and politics. I generally steer away ...

Toni said:

"Take my brother for example hes older than me when i was born he felt pushed out not that he was but he felt it because my dad wasnt around much and my mum had to give me attention because i was a baby.2 years later my sister was born then my mum and dad split up.This all took affect on my brother that and the bullying.My brother did things which he went to prison for but why did god let my brother suffer for so long?

He didnt help him!My brother had years and years of bullying and if god had helped him in some way he wouldnt be the way he is now.

If god is a nice person hes got a funny way of showing it."

We make our own choices, Toni. Your brother went through some very hard times, as many people have, but he's also made it hard on himself and everyone else. I recently watched a movie about a young girl who grew up with two drug addicted parents and no other support within the family, and she wound up on the streets because it was impossible to live with either parent. Her father was living in a shelter and her mom was dying of AIDS. She decided she wanted a better life and she went after it and she has pulled herself up and graduated college with high honors. She made a choice.

Your brother could and can make some better choices. It's just not good to begin to blame everyone else (and that includes God) for all the things in life that have gone wrong. I've known people who do that and their lives never improve because their attitude never changes.

• Author
Toni_no12002

lol @ rp .i know he isnt a person i sort of put it wrong.All this religion stuff confuses me.There has been no proof though that god actually exists.Only by someones word.Jesus's.Im not saying he is a liar.But has he actually seen him?

What if gods way isnt the right way?He could be wrong!

HokeyReligions
lol @ rp .i know he isnt a person i sort of put it wrong.All this religion stuff confuses me.There has been no proof though that god actually exists.Only by someones word.Jesus's.Im not saying he is a liar.But has he actually seen him?

I think that if one truly believes in God and in the teachings of the Bible, then they would believe that God is not wrong. I believe in Love but I cannot see it or touch it or proove that love exists. I feel it inside and I can put a face to those I love, but loving someone doesn't prove love exists.

Perhaps you need to expose yourself to different teachings and different faiths. The Bible was written by men, IMO, and those men wrote what they felt and what they believed and what they believed God said to them. Someone else said they felt God talking to them -- many people do. Some of the authors of the Bible wrote about events that they witnessed and that was what convinced them that God exists. Someone else could have witnessed the same thing but didn't see it as a proof of a divine being - maybe they thought it was a magic trick. They each could be convinced that the other was wrong. It's an individual thing. If you want to believe in God or think that God does exist then you can find Biblical text and current teachings that will convince you. Being convinced of something isn't a bad thing. If you trust the information and you 'feel' it is right than maybe it is.

Proof is different for everyone. I can't prove that God doesn't exist either.

Of course there is a god.

I used to wonder the same thing "is there really a god?"

ive now learned ALOT

and YES there is a god. You have to trust him.

And believe that everything happends for a reason .

Alot of people have been tooken away from me in my life. But that doesnt mean that god took them away from you for the worst and to hurt you.

If anything he did it for the best. :)

• Author
Toni_no12002

The thing is people believe there is a god.Doesnt mean that there actually is one does it.Its like i believe im a nice person doesnt actually mean i am one.

I dont think anyone will ever be able to prove there is a god.On the other hand no one can prove that there isnt.

But does everyone believe things that where written like 10 thousand years ago?

Im not critisizing anyone but i just find all this god stuff hard to believe!

Jesus not only saw him, but he WAS God - that's the whole "holy trinity" thing Christians believe in - God is 3 things - God the Father, God the Son (Jesus Christ - who appeared on Earth in physical form), and God the Holy Spirit.

HokeyReligions

Im not critisizing anyone but i just find all this god stuff hard to believe!

That's where faith comes in.

• Author

In my heart though i just cant find it to believe in him.I dont feel him around me like many people say they do.

still asking questions toni??:laugh:

You know there are other belief systems in the world apart from monotheistic religions. You don't have to belive in a god to find some meaning to your life. Many people in the world follow these other spiritual systems and they have just as happy and meaningful life as christians, muslims, jews etc.

I'm not trying to push a religion on you, I'm only saying this as you seem to be seeking some answers about life and if you don't feel comfortable with accepting the existence of a supreme being, there are other faiths that you can look into. ie hinduism, brahminism, buddhism, taoist, gnostic christianity, kabbalah or even scientology lol. Not everyone has grown up in a culture where the natural thinking is that the universe was created by a god who watches over us.

Jesus not only saw him, but he WAS God

Can I be ignorant here and ask if someone will please explain this to me, as it's bugged me for years! I always thought that Jesus was the Son of God, He always refered to His Father, etc. - i.e. Jesus and God are two separate entities? When I hear that Jesus was actually God Himself in human form, I don't know what to believe! Is it one of those things that's different between the Catholic and Church of England faiths?

Thanks if anyone can clear this up for me, any links welcomed!

HokeyReligions

I don't believe either Toni. I remember a time as a child when I 'felt' God and had faith, but as I got older and learned more I had more questions and discovered other religions and different Christian practices and I grew out of the belief. Kind of like a child learning there is no Santa. For me its not so much a matter of 'what' to believe, but more like 'why should I believe'

As for Jesus and God being the same -- whew! That goes deep. There are so many interpretations and theories. I was taught that they are two different entities also. I don't remember where (or if) there is a part of the New Testament that states Jesus IS God. Someone else may be able to find the text and explain why it is interpreted as Jesus and God being one. I followed the "God gave His Only Son" bit and to me, that means that they are separate, but both holy. Jesus, on earth, was mortal. His body died and during life was the same as any other mortal's body and could feel pain or illness (I wonder if Jesus ever had a rash?) but after death Jesus became one with God.

But does everyone believe things that where written like 10 thousand years ago?
Do you believe archaelogy is reliable for evidence more than 10 thousand years old?
In my heart though i just cant find it to believe in him.I dont feel him around me like many people say they do.
Some people don't notice things until they are gone.