Is there really a god?

ThumbingMyWay

I don't make all the right decisions. I am a hypocrite.. I will never deny that. But in my heart I know who God is and his exhistance. I know what he wants me to do but I chose to be selfish and do things my way and I know I will have problems in my life because of it. My life is a roller coaster with lots of experiences and trials. Each one of them has a lesson.

I believe one day I will chose to do what is right and feel content with it. For now I feel like I'm missing out on life if I give up my selfish ways. It is my divergence with myself. "What I know and what I do."

I pray for strength, persevence, and a complete change of heart. To follow Christ and live by God's rules is sacraficing ones own desires and will.

I have lots of growing to do in my life. I have a lot of changes to be made. I believe I will know when it is time for the change and yet maybe; like God has done to others from time to time, he will reach his hand down upon me and transform me in his touch. It's rare for him to intervene in a persons life because he gave us free will but he has been known to do it.

Yet I am a sinner, my faith is strong in him.

I think most Christian live the same way.....we know what to do...but dont always do it. We are selfish by nature....God made us that way.....he gives us free will.....what we do with it is up to us. He waits patiently for us to come to him....wether its now or on my death bed....his door is always open...but I must maintain my faith regardless.....

exactly, precisely, Pixie ~ how can something as simple as a baby being formed NOT be the result of a higher being who did all the "programming" long before we made our presence known on this planet? I often wonder if people have just accepted the miracle of life as something just commonplace, that they have lost their sense of awe of what is taking place at a cellular level. That the leap is made from "I'm pregnant" to a newborn baby without any thought to what is happening in the interim. You've got to admit, it's a pretty dang awesome process, one that makes you feel very, very small in the whole scheme of things, because the only thing people did was provide sperm, egg and place of incubation – Someone else put the blueprint together so that at the end of gestation, a baby comes out. It truly amazes me ....

So what does god do exactly?I know its my fault that people walk all over me but isnt god supposed to be there for you?

the way I've understood it, both intellectually and personally, is that God is there to love us no matter how badly we screw up or how often we turn away. Much like those people who have kids: they may not agree with the decisions their kids make, but they love them all the same simply because they are their own beloved children.

like all relationships, communication has to be there. Sometimes we get the answers we want from God, sometimes they're not quite what we expected, but as believers, we understand that he's always listening to us, always loving us.

God's existence is not about what you can see or what you can prove with the evidence around you, but in faith you've got in your relationship with him. Can I see him? No, but I can see how he works through the love and caring of others. Can I hear him? Yes, in millions of ways, I just have to open my mind to the possibility of his voice in everything I do.

ThumbingMyWay

God's existence is not about what you can see or what you can prove with the evidence around you, but in faith you've got in your relationship with him. Can I see him? No, but I can see how he works through the love and caring of others. Can I hear him? Yes, in millions of ways, I just have to open my mind to the possibility of his voice in everything I do.

reminds me of something my counslor once said....it was a twist on the old saying...."I'll believe it when I see it"

but in terms of Faith in Christ...it goes like this..

"I'll see it when I believe it" and once yuo accept his love....oohh..man...you will SEE it everywhere and in everything.....

One thing I cannot fathom and that is how anyone who has ever had a child could say that no God exists?? How could anyone- especially a big bang- cause a child to grow in it's mother's body like that? Who but our Heavenly Father could know that the woman's ribcage had to expand to allow the baby to grow and that her cervix would need to dilate to get the baby out??

Who else could cause two little cells to form together, and after seven days of conception start to beat like a heart??

if no one told you about this supreme being, the thought would never have crossed your mind that it was this great gig in the sky that caused life.

i think it's great that you believe...i know a lot of people who get through life this way, and live nice,happy lives. (maybt not perfectly, but who does? :laugh: )

but the way i think is, well if it could be god or science, then why not something else? something we've never thought of because we are only given two sides of the debate? what if it was giant supreme cow? or perhaps a man-producing plant that accidentally produced a mutated man-woman, and the child was a virus made between the two plant people?

you may think i am trying to be funny, but honestly, people who don't believe in god think the theory of him is as ridiculous and impossible as virus-spawn plant people, or just as not ridiculous and impossible.

who knows if thousands of years from now, someone will think Lord of the Rings is the "bible?" or the baby-sitter's club series?

i suggest googling the flying spaghetti monster. it is humorous, and it's meant to be satire, but it raises a lot of valid points. (hope it doesn't offend anyone.)

reminds me of something my counslor once said....it was a twist on the old saying...."I'll believe it when I see it"

but in terms of Faith in Christ...it goes like this..

"I'll see it when I believe it" and once yuo accept his love....oohh..man...you will SEE it everywhere and in everything.....

Many people are doubting Thomas'.. They refuse to beleive until they are able to stick their fingers in Christs wounds. They are the hard hearted. Those are the ones we all need to pray for that the veil will be lifted from their eyes and there hearts will be set free from the bondage of doubt.

you may think i am trying to be funny

in a way, it is, but only because your illustrations are proof that people's thinking goes beyond just the "I/self" to a point of "where did it originate?" and I think THAT taps into something more cosmic. I.E., your awareness has grown past the boundaries of self. And that is a good thing.

LOTR a bible? Maybe. But because Tolkien had a very strong faith, believers can see stong parallels in the tale to what we've been taught about the One who accepts a difficult mission out of love, and sees it through to the end. And that makes a nice springboard for the leap of faith.

HokeyReligions

I haven't read all the replies, but you should dig up some of the old threads on religion and God. There are some great views there and it's very interesting reading.

I'm agnostic (not to be confused with an athiest) and I don't believe that there is a Supreme Being, but I'm open to being convinced. I might be very wrong and there IS a God, or Gods. I require a certain amount of proof to be convinced and I haven't foud it, although I've read some very interesting studies and theories and history that have led me to doubt less maybe.

I was raised in a traditional Christian (Baptist mostly) home and I follow those lines of research because I'm more familiar with the Christian belief than I am with other paths of faith.

I think, and this is my opinion (well part of it, I don't want to write a novel here!) that God (if one exists) is not controlling. God creates and gives His creations information and guidance but leaves it up to the individual what they want to believe and how they want to interpet His instructions/guidance/information and how they want to follow those things in their life.

Many believe that God knows every second of our lives including how they end no matter what choices we make along the way. There's that whole "is free will really free will?" discussion that can be found on old LS posts.

One of my own theories on this is that perhaps God knows ALL the possible paths our lives could take based on ALL the possible choices we might make in ALL the circumstances we might find ourselves; therefore it could be concluded that God knows every second of our lives. Mankind hasn't developed a computer anywhere near powerful enough to make calculations like that even on a small scale. Although I know that some have tried to do that based on an ant colony (I wish I could find that study -- it's old though). I do remember that none of their models (developed over many, many years) was able to project with 100% accuracy the life of any of the ants.

Maybe God is a supercomputer?

I also think, again my opinion, that God cares for people spiritually and not physically -- so that people can find hope and love and joy etc. no matter what their bodies are going through -- even finding emotional peace when in extreme physically pain.

My mom, who is a Christian, is very ill. She has been in pain for years and is in the hospital now suffering horribly. If she were a dog I would have had her put to sleep years ago. She has no physical relief from her pain and in fact keeps getting worse. We just found out this week that she has Leukemia. She doesn't have much longer to live and in fact, she spent Monday and Tuesday with no sleep or respite from the pain and praying constantly to God to let her die - to please take her now because she can't stand the pain and misery she is going through now. She has cried to me that she will miss me and worry about me and I reassured her that once she's gone she won't feel worry or miss me because that is her belief. God created this world, but He lives in heaven (so to speak) an that life after death is eternal and that is what we (as Christians) should be concerned with. Not this speck of time we spend as mortals.

I don't know. I'd like to believe that, but I just don't. I do think that this is it. Once we die we no longer exist. I'll never see my mother again. I'll never see my children again. I'll never see my husband or my dogs or anyone I love again. It will be over. HOWEVER; I won't know that or feel their loss once I'm gone because I won't exist -- except maybe as a bit of energy left over on the planet, fading like the others and with no conscious or thought or 'soul'.

Bad Girl-

As long as there are people who believe left- then I doubt very seriously the Bible will be compared to LOTR or the babysitter's club books. As a matter of fact Christianity has been around for a long time, and instead of burning out continues to flourish. Mostly because of faith, and because people want to believe in something more than themselves. Besides, in the end everyone will know the truth. "Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess"

Hoke, I think you're a great person but your post made me sad. I wish there was something I could do or say to make you believe but honestly, there just isn't. You've heard every argument. I'm sorry that your mom is so ill and I understand what you're saying about praying for her to die. He only answers our prayers in His time, and His time is not ours. That doesn't mean that He doesn't love us, or that He is not moved by our suffering.

• Author
Toni_no12002

I didnt expect this many posts lol

I think religion is a complicated thing.I think the only way we will find out for sure whether or not there is a god is when we die.When i die ill try to come back and tell you all :D solves all the future arguements.

To be honest i think that when you die you just die thats it no heaven or hell.Thats just what i believe though.

Thaks to everyone for writing!

To me all this god stuff doesnt seem right.

Yes we have free will but why would he give us that?

If there is a god who made him he cant have made himself there must have been a begining.

Why does he choose not to show himself?

It sounds like if there is a god hes playing games seeing who chooses to be on his side surely thats selfish who gave him the right to say hes the right one anyway?

Im not being nasty but if he is god how does he know he is?Maybe hes just an alien with greater intelligence than ourselves.

If he chose to make us and gave us free will he cannot own us.why does he try and get followers?like christians?etc

Just because hes god does that mean that he should be treat any different.It doesnt make sense it sounds like he wants everyone to follow him.Isnt that selfish?

He gives us free will because He loves us. He gives us the choice because He wants us to take the gift that He's given us freely, rather than by force.

He gently works on people's hearts and lives to bring them closer to Him.

He wants to "recruit" people as you say to keep them from spending an eternity burning in Hell.

Google question this, and you may get some good information.

Yes we have free will but why would he give us that? … Why does he choose not to show himself? … It sounds like if there is a god hes playing games seeing who chooses to be on his side surely thats selfish who gave him the right to say hes the right one anyway? … Im not being nasty but if he is god how does he know he is? … why does he try and get followers?like christians, etc? … It doesnt make sense it sounds like he wants everyone to follow him.Isnt that selfish?

in a nutshell, I think it all boils down just to this: love. He loves us so much he lets us make our own decisions, make our own faith journey and seek him out on our terms, even if it takes a lifetime. He doesn't force our love. Does he try to get followers? In the sense of wanting to see us to love one another the way he loves us, yeah, I guess he does. But again, that's working from a "true love theory."

HokeyReligions
=Toni_no12002]

Yes we have free will but why would he give us that?

Because we asked for it maybe. Or maybe, as many think, free-will has God-set limits and only seems 'free' to us.

If there is a god who made him he cant have made himself there must have been a begining.

Sure He could make Himself. God is not mortal and does not follow the same physics that mortals follow. His life form is not life as we know it. Not based on the same chemicals and electronics of any life form on earth. The Bible said we are made in his image - but what is image? Nothing more than how we appear and appearnces, as we all know, can be deceiving.

Why does he choose not to show himself?
Many people believe He does reveal Himself. Perhaps He does (if He exists) we simply don't recognize him.

It sounds like if there is a god hes playing games seeing who chooses to be on his side surely thats selfish who gave him the right to say hes the right one anyway?
God hasn't changed, only our perceptions of Him have changed. We are the ones who play games because we invented them, not God.

Im not being nasty but if he is god how does he know he is?Maybe hes just an alien with greater intelligence than ourselves.
"I AM WHO I AM" isn't that what He said to Moses? If God is real then He would be an alien on the planet because He is not From this planet. Or do you mean an alien from another planet? Perhaps.

If he chose to make us and gave us free will he cannot own us.why does he try and get followers?like christians?etc
AsI understand it, He does not try to get followers - he wants to help us achieve Heaven and we can only do that by faith and by following His guidance. It's no more ownership than a parent trying to guide their child to make the right decisions to have a happy life. Its done out of love.

Just because hes god does that mean that he should be treat any different.It doesnt make sense it sounds like he wants everyone to follow him.Isnt that selfish?
"Just because He's God?" You are assigning human/mortal charateristics to a diety. You can't. God 'treats' everyone the same -- he gives the same love and guidance to everyone. It's what we do with it that makes a difference.

My mother could be angry and focused on her pain and what is left of her life here, but she chooses to believe in God and have faith that she will be with Him when this life ends. She has lived her life according to that belief. It doesn't change what is happening to her physical body, or to any event in her life, but it does have a profound and fundamental effect on her emotions and her spirit.

I can see all these things, and I can understand how so much makes sense to a believer of God, yet I still can't believe IN God, if that makes any sense!

It's easier to believe then to not believe...

If I didn't believe then who would I have to talk to. who could I trust with my inner most feelings and thoughts.

Without him I would be lost; I would be a lost soul.

He is my best friend. He is the one who is ALWAYS there through everything and doesn't interfer.

He doesnt turn his back on me, EVER, no matter how bad I am or how much I push him away.

He is the purest love, he is the perfect love, he is everything to me...

Without him--I would be totally lost with no hope.... In him I have hope, I have dreams, I have the purest love. He will always be there for me to turn too..

HokeyReligions

If I didn't believe then who would I have to talk to. who could I trust with my inner most feelings and thoughts.

He is my best friend. He is the one who is ALWAYS there through everything and doesn't interfer.

He doesnt turn his back on me, EVER, no matter how bad I am or how much I push him away.

Without him--I would be totally lost with no hope.... In him I have hope, I have dreams, I have the purest love. He will always be there for me to turn too..

I'm not trying to knock God or belittle your beliefs, but what you just described is how I feel about my dogs. For me its harder to believe than not to believe.

I'm not trying to knock God or belittle your beliefs, but what you just described is how I feel about my dogs. For me its harder to believe than not to believe.

I didn't really want to comment on this particular subject because I knew that there would be someone on here that would offend me, by saying something bad about my God.

I was surprised as i went skipping thru posts page after page to find myself just having such a sad heart. Some like Pada or Mz Pixie had my heart lifting, but others I felt this deep sadness for.

One I read about his mother being sick and how he would never see her once she died. No, you won't, if she's going to Heaven and you to Hell. I say this not as a mean remark, just sad. I type the words with tears in my eyes for you.

I have had my times of doubt, but "He" always finds the way to get to me. No, I have NEVER seen the face of Jesus Christ, unless it is in the face of my little boy. In him I see my God.

I may not have Jesus' shoulder to physically cry on, but I have His words that I can read to comfort me. His promise.

Once, a while back, I missed Him so badly, just the need to be with Him, and in my heart the words came to me, "If you want to hold My hand, hold his" (meaning my son Eli). "If you want to talk with Me, talk with him" (again my son Eli).

It wasn't me talking to thin air or in my imagination. It was my God taking time out of His busy schedule to talk with me.

I believe this, and no one, not even the Devil, can shake that, could take that from me.

"I am. I was. I am the One who is to come. Before. After. I'll still be what I am and what I was."

The Lion from the Tribe of Judah :love:

Jesus Christ is blessing you right now for witnessing to this site! :love:

Toni, What you said at the beginning of this thread was that you were having a hard time with having seen your grandfather suffer through an illness and die, and now apparently your 'nanna' is sick, and I know that's very hard to accept, but when you are a young person, (and I think you are) it's not easy to accept death as part of life, though it is.

When the time comes that we begin to lose people, (and we all do) God gives us strength at that time to get through it, and a way to accept it and understand it as something we need not fear, because the promise is that we have eternal life, any of us, if we accept Jesus as Savior.

Emotion: The affective aspect of consciousness. God created us. He understands human emotion. He understands when we react to stress, when we grieve, when we can't get a grip. It's never a case of his failure to care. He knows life for many people is not easy and will never be easy, but he is always there, his love never ends, his ability to give us strength we never could have gained on our own - - it's something we can always count on. God has more capacity to love than any one of us can even grasp, but we have to reach for it. We have to ask...

• Author
Toni_no12002

I still dont understand why he would give us the choice to be evil.Sometimes well most of the time people become murderers because of something that has happened in the past.In our childhood maybe.If someone was a mass murder can you still go to heaven?If you ask god for forgiveness?

I have problems in my life like everyone else and they can change what sort of person we are.I have low self esteem and am a little shy sometimes.Thats because of my childhood probably.If someone was brought up a certain way and later on in life they became murders yes that is a sin but to them there angry and hurting.

My brother when he was little got bullied and my mum and dad divorce upset quite a bit.Later on in lif he stole things he became an arsonist.He tried to kill but it didnt work.Where as i was angry with him because it was my dad that got it in the neck.On the other hand he was angry because of things that had happened.He has commited a sin.Can he still go to heaven?Can all the mass murders still go to heaven?

its sounds complicated all this stuff but im just trying to understand it more.

God would know if you really was sorry and wanted forgiveness i suppose.You cant lie to him he knows all i suppose.But because someone has commited a sin are they evil or has life just go to them.People can be so cruel.

Ive heard about some rapists they abuse a child and then later on in life that child might become one to.They have committed a sin but surely thats not there fault?

Sorry everyone ive got so many questions lol

ButtonPusher

Toni, if you want deep questions answered, then ask the people in life that seek wisdom. The only things you will get on here is people's opinions, which are driven by delusion and ignorance (no offence everyone, I include myself in that category). People with real wisdom in this world are the ones that spend their lives contemplating our existence. So go talk to a monk or a nun, (buddhist, catholic, anglican any of them will do), if you really want to get some answers to these questions.

Silence is so much more productive of wisdom than anything else in the modern world. So talk to the people that seek out peace, and they will provide with far better answers than any of us will give you.

• Author
Toni_no12002

humm suppose but in some ways i dont agre with the way nuns live.They devote there lifes totally to god.Why would god want anyone to live that way?They dont have husbands or kids.Afterall as people have seaid why would he give us the ability to create children and then have people in nunneries not taking advantage of that.Seems a little strange really.

RecordProducer

Regardless of whether you believe in God or not, what people consider LIFE is actually THEIR LIFE. So life sucks if their wives left them and they lost their jobs.... or life is good cuz they are in love and all is fine...

Life is this whole planet and all lives on it. The poor, ill, unhappy people also have lives. Their lives suck. Disasters, violence, wars, diseases or invalidity are also part of life.

On the other hand there are people who are lucky. So look at yourself from the global aspect. Look at others from God's aspect as well. If you want to believe that God is good so he will give you everything then why didn't he give everything to those who live in misery?

THANK YOU SUGAR-RAE.

This week has been an amazing week. It started to roll for me when this thread started since then I have had doors open for me. I sincerely thought when I open myself up by replying to this I would find much attack but I don't feel I have. Some people have given me negative feedback but the majority has stood out loud and clear in support. I thank each of you. Each possitive comment definetly out weighed the negative. It's an amazing feeling especially for me; I am the type of person where a negative thought or word can really weigh me down and it will take many many many constant possitive words to turn me around.

I know God is knocking at my heart again to pull me back into his gathering because I have been astray for so long.

Ex of how he is showing me he needs me and wants me: Last night I went to a friends house to visit. During my visit with her we got on the conversation of religion. She was raised Baptist and never fully felt complete with that faith.She has had a very very troubled life. I am Catholic and she knows how much I love my faith. She is curious about it and wants to eagerly learn about Catholicism. She was married at the age of 15 and had her first child after she was married. She was married to a man in the military. She was physically abused, She has since had a total of 6 kids lost custody of 4 of them. Her youngest has Celibral Palsy. She was a stripper, got into lots of drugs and orgy's. She has been married I think it was 6 times. She has not had a easy life. She is now sober, doesnt do drugs, has restrained herself from her previous lifestyle and rarey rarely drinks. She is a very sweet and caring woman who sufferes from a lot of heart ache.

She is thristing so badly for God.

I am no teacher of religious things. But I do know where to lead her for her answers. This is the 3rd time in my life I have met someone who is searching and I have lead them to where they can learn and know Christ.

Now, Today I am attending a Euchristic Conference in St. Paul, MN. It was last minute notice that I decieded to purchase a ticket and the day after I bought my tickets it sold out. I barely made it for registration.

I can feel God moving in my life this week by the events that have taken place. They are small and can easily be written off as just life but I know it is God's hand at work in my life. I will not say NO to him concerning this. I believe he is giving me the chance to renew myself in him. I have spent the last 6 months going to clubs, dancing very provocatively, participating in drunkeness and disrespecting my body with a couple men by engaging in their desires. I have not been happy with myself. I believe God is asking me to come back to him and rest in his love and peace.

So speaking of all this I need to run. I believe some of you will understand why I just shared with you my weeks events and others of you will say "what?" what was she talking about?"

I will return; with much to share, I am sure.

Toni, if you want deep questions answered, then ask the people in life that seek wisdom. The only things you will get on here is people's opinions, which are driven by delusion and ignorance (no offence everyone, I include myself in that category).
This is what we call a preconceived notion or prejudice. You don't know enough to come to that conclusion.

People with real wisdom in this world are the ones that spend their lives contemplating our existence. So go talk to a monk or a nun, (buddhist, catholic, anglican any of them will do), if you really want to get some answers to these questions.

Silence is so much more productive of wisdom than anything else in the modern world. So talk to the people that seek out peace, and they will provide with far better answers than any of us will give you.

Wrong on all counts.

It is your opinion that "People with real wisdom in this world are the ones that spend their lives contemplating our existence."

Silence can indicate reflection or more ignorance.

Jesus did not come to bring peace.

This is what we call a preconceived notion or prejudice. You don't know enough to come to that conclusion.

Wrong on all counts.

It is your opinion that "People with real wisdom in this world are the ones that spend their lives contemplating our existence."

Silence can indicate reflection or more ignorance.

Jesus did not come to bring peace.

1 Corinthians 14:33 :

For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. :love:

If you want to believe that God is good so he will give you everything then why didn't he give everything to those who live in misery?
The beatitudes.