Is there really a god?

I once walked away from my faith and tried to deny his existance but I it was short lived. He always made himself known in my life in many many things. I am not perfect. I do not try to be. I make many many mistakes knowing I am chosing to do them.

I know my life could be better if I chose to live it better. I am selfish and I want my selfish pleasures in life so therefore I know I have to suffer for what I chose to do that is against what is good.

God does exhist. I have opened up my heart and I have searched for him and have found him.

God will not get in your face, God will not always do what you want him to do for you. If you are asking for something out of selfish reasons for your gain generally he wont give you what you WANT but he will give you what you NEED..

WOW that was a mouthful..

A wonderfully faithful, true, and heartfelt post. Amen.

brittanyjean259

he made us, but he had no chose for us to be cruel( some of us)....us being humans were like that, and since jesus died on the cross for us he took all of our sins..everything every1 does has its consequences...i know innocent people die, and people get heartbroken and live in misery...but the cause of that is not god...but the cruel people themselves...and some stuff is random you have to beleive if you dont...

" people not beleiving...are the cause of things"

you just loose all hope , if you have faith...than youll know that whatever happens you will be safe...you make what you want of things and thats why you dont believe

there has to be a god, a greater force..."karma" even though karma is practiced by buddhism..." what comes around goes around"...where does all that come from??...

if there is humans, there is a god.

brittanyjean259

(1) God is love.

(2) Love is blind.

(3) Stevie Wonder is blind.

(4) Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

(5) Therefore, God exists.

cheak this site out...it gets very humourous if you keep reading...read up to atleast 40...

300 reasons why god exisit...

if that doesnt work..please try to locate "300 reasons" on google

i was not much a beleiver.( until now)..but i also think pain comes to those who need to beleive

So are you saying that the people that die in pain are supposed to die that way?

THink of it this way.....would God want them to suffer an remain alive in pain? No. I know it is hard to believe in God when bad things happen. But, I see that you are mad that he is not helping you? But, do you thank him when good things happen?? Or do you just turn to him when things go wrong? You need to be thankful to Him for the wonderful things in life too.

You either have faith or you don't. I do and I do becasue I have felt God present in my life and I see how he works. That is how I belive.

People die. You cannot stop that. It is not the fault of God, that is life. In my opinion, God takes you when he is ready. Maybe he had bigger and better plans for your grandfather in heaven? Maybe he wanted to free him of suffering in pain?

You have lots of questions! I enjoy reading everyones responses. It really strengthens my beliefs.

Doesnt psychology explain though that people can witness things that arent actually there?

I love psychology. I enjoy studying it. But psychology like everything else in this world needs to be decerned whether it is good or not. There are people who use good things to take advantage of others. They have ways with words to twist things around. We are not born bad. It is our choices that makes us bad. Our sould belong to God-they are of God. If you can learn to listen to your inert insticts (your soul) you will know what is right and wrong.

Who actually wrote the bible?

The apostle's who walked with Jesus wrote the bible.

Its a book that was written ages ago.How do we not know that its a fiction book?
Signatures and self quotes in the scrolls. What is said in the scrolls has been passed down amoungst the people from Jesus' time. It collabrates. Do your research.

I mean i could write a book and in a 100 years or more people could find it and believe it.

Your reputation and your history will be researched to see if what you wrote was authentic.

In them times anyone that could do things was thought of as evil or extremeley powerful whereas now we have studied things and we know that things can be illusions etc

In current times people still are under scrutiney for what they believe and teach. No prophet is accept without extensive study of the person's life.

When this book was written there are people saying jesus did this and that but how did people in those times know he was a miracle man for sure?

Witness, extensive observation, study, reputation. The same thing we do with current prophets.

He could of been a magician.Things that happened in those days where seen as unreal now anythings possible.

Evil will always try to destroy what is good. Good always withstands evil. It will never fail.

If we didnt know that some tricks magicians play on us are illusions then we would think they where powerful and almighty to wouldnt we?

Tricks and magic can be solved. The power of God cannot.

If nothing has been proven about the world where as science is envolved why do people choose to belive in god.There is no proof whatsoever.Except for a book that over time might have been thought of as real when really it might have just been a story.

Explain science. You will come to a end of trying to find answers to the beginning of science. God created everything that was created and that has evolved.

If god gave us free will why send jesus down to tell us to follow him?Why didnt he come himself?

Jesus came to teach us, to show us, to be an example. We are tangible people. If someone told you they loved you but never showed you would you believe their love was real?

beautifully expressed initial post, pada ... your faith shines through.

brittney: :D :D naughty girl with the Stevie=God=he exists! I think we're gonna have to sic some nuns on you, lol .... however, you do have the basis for explaining a theory of the divine, of that residue that God left when he created us, that glorious something within each and everyone of us. To me, God shines through Stevie Wonder because despite some of the challenges he's been given, he's always seemed to have responded with joy and love.

when it comes down to it, I think that's all we're called to do as we give witness to him, to be love-mongers. That was Christ's message, to love one another unfailingly, as God loves us. Because from there, the faith thing works itself out -- it's a natural step knowing that when someone loves you unreservedly (your folks, your children, your spouse, your friends), God's love is even more unconditional than that.

where is God, you ask? Everywhere, in the sense that we are each called to be his hands to help, his arms to enfold, his mouth to witness and sing praises...

I am sorry about your nana, cancer is a scary disease. However, rejoice that she has such a strong faith that helps her to "fill in" the gaps that others cannot. I imagine that while she may be scared or worried or upset about being so ill, God is the one who comforts her best because he loves her best.

you and she will be in my prayers, kiddo.

on big bang and other theories about our origins: I believe they each have place in our existence, but for me, it all comes down to this one question: Where does it all originate? A very faulty and limited analogy could be the conception and birth of a child: yes, we know a sperm has to join with an egg to create the zygote that develops into a child, and for that single, commingled cell to grow, it's got specific directions to become that baby ... or those puppies or kitties, depending on the species in which the procreation took place. We know that cells have to multiply and divide to create that critter or baby, we know that each is called to a specific duty.

But how do they know what to do?

we've seen technology unfold before our eyes as medicines are developed to treat illnesses, that babies can be created in a petri dish instead of a womb, that a simple keystroke of the computer can render gobs of information at our fingertips, that molecules can be split, created and harnessed into energy, thanks to thousands of mortals who worked at it to get it right.

still, what lit the fuse that set off the big bang that got us here? We exist, but how?

I don't have any question that God exists; I've felt him in my life as long as I remember, and I know that he's mine just as I am his. When I want to tap in to his wonder, I start thinking about babies, about all that stuff that goes on at a cellular/subcellular level from the point the sperm and egg met until *ping* ... look what popped out of the oven! And there's my proof, should I ever need it, that he exists.

RecordProducer
I don't believe there's a god, because I've yet to see anything I regard as proof of His/Her existence.

I've seen a proof of his existence. When I first saw my BF's penis, I thought "OMG!" :o:bunny:;)

• Like 1
I've seen a proof of his existence. When I first saw my BF's penis, I thought "OMG!" :o:bunny:;)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

SugarWereGoinDown

Meh im only 16... in my short-lived life I have heard some stories that seem to be miracles or just a life saving coincidence. I think i had a tiny miracle happen to me. Well here it goes...

I was going to take out the trash and i heard a voice telling me to put shoes on. I just woke up and didnt want to, i walked to the door and the voice told me to go back and put shoes on. I went back and put the shoes on. I walked outside took a couple of steps and stepped on a gigantic 4 inch rusty nail into the sole of my foot. I put my hand on my heart looked up in the sky and just said "Thank you!"

I probably would of lost my foot or got heppatitis or something...

And i also found that when you just believe there is a God and just pray... it really does help... things seem to lean towards you more

Stuff that happens to me like this makes me want to get closer to God

Note to self: Always put shoes on when taking out the trash"

ButtonPusher
I've seen a proof of his existence. When I first saw my BF's penis, I thought "OMG!"

There are lots of small things in the world RP. Why shouldnt a penis be one of them? :laugh:

As for GOD, well does it matter if there is a god or not? Will it make you a better person by believing in god? From my experience no it won't. There are plenty of people in the world that believe in god but they still behave like a**holes.

As for who wrote the bible. The gospels are based on pagan mysteries that were around in the time of socrates and pythagoras. These were then added to and altered by the early Roman church around 300 AD.

Woooo I bet I get hammered for what I just said.:laugh:

RecordProducer
Woooo I bet I get hammered for what I just said.:laugh:
Well somebody got hammered for preaching religion and yet it's accepted by so many people on this planet. It's worth talking about it loudly, in my opinion.

So many people have been killed by those who hid behind religion. It was accepted by the rulers when they finally realized that religion would help them manipulate common, uneducated people as it kept them in intellectual darkness. Even nowadays it's being used with the same purpose. But without getting into it too deep... I am amazed by the fact that people can blindly believe in something that is completely created inside their minds while affected by outside ifluence. It's almost like a mental disease.

• Author
Toni_no12002

if good things happen then surely isnt that because of us not because of god if free will exists.Ive had a gorgeous little boy your not saying that god blessed me with him are you?It was my choice to have him so surely its because of me.(and my bf)

I may not believe in god exactly but i do believe we all have those characteristics in us.We also have the devil in us.Maybe it just depends what road we all take.If you murder maybe your taking the devil road and such like.

Ive tried so hard to be nice to people but i cant always be, someones always going to get hurt.Why did god give us that choice we all make sins.

If jesus was human did he commit sins?

The thing is how do we all know gods way is the right way?Because he says so?Its all so confusing this god stuff!

Dont get me wrong i want to believe in him.Throughout my life i have been a genuinley nice person ive helped people,been kind to them.But still i feel miserable.People walk all over me alot.Why isnt he helping?I used to believe in him but now i find it really difficult to.

People have said what im asking for might be wrong but surely asking to be happy isnt something wrong?

dukkha there nothing wrong with what you said thats what you believe im sure people who believe in god will argue but its no ones place to tell you what to believe and what not to believe.

I personally dont believe in a god.Many people do and i respect that.

If there was a god would he punish people for not believing in him?surely not its not a sin exactly is it?

if good things happen then surely isnt that because of us not because of god if free will exists.Ive had a gorgeous little boy your not saying that god blessed me with him are you?It was my choice to have him so surely its because of me.(and my bf)

I may not believe in god exactly but i do believe we all have those characteristics in us.We also have the devil in us.Maybe it just depends what road we all take.If you murder maybe your taking the devil road and such like.

Ive tried so hard to be nice to people but i cant always be, someones always going to get hurt.Why did god give us that choice we all make sins.

If jesus was human did he commit sins?

The thing is how do we all know gods way is the right way?Because he says so?Its all so confusing this god stuff!

Dont get me wrong i want to believe in him.Throughout my life i have been a genuinley nice person ive helped people,been kind to them.But still i feel miserable.People walk all over me alot.Why isnt he helping?I used to believe in him but now i find it really difficult to.

People have said what im asking for might be wrong but surely asking to be happy isnt something wrong?

dukkha there nothing wrong with what you said thats what you believe im sure people who believe in god will argue but its no ones place to tell you what to believe and what not to believe.

I personally dont believe in a god.Many people do and i respect that.

If there was a god would he punish people for not believing in him?surely not its not a sin exactly is it?

Are you taking any steps towards happiness yourself? I myself believe in God, and I believe he does answer prayers. But you have to also take steps yourself. People walk all over you because you let them. That's why. And I do believe God blessed you with your little boy. I believe everything happens for a reason..

• Author
Toni_no12002

So what does god do exactly?I know its my fault that people walk all over me but isnt god supposed to be there for you?

So what does god do exactly?I know its my fault that people walk all over me but isnt god supposed to be there for you?

Yes, he's there for you, but you have to take steps for yourself. You can't just one day wake up, say 'God please let me be happy' and then that's it, you'll be happy for the rest of your life. I believe that he'll help you along, not do it all for you.. that's just what I believe..

Thanks for that :D

But if he gave us free will and people die what is the point in him being there?

Originally, we weren’t made to die.

Is there really a heaven? which i dont think there is.
Is there really a moon? How do you know it isn’t an illusion?

Is there alien life?

So are you saying that the people that die in pain are supposed to die that way?
Jesus died in pain and so did many of the early Christians.

One thing that got me is that there was an accident abit ago about some people praying to god.The stage they where on or something they where on fell and quite a few died.Why wouldnt he help then?But i suppose people would say he did in a way because some people lived.
Maybe they all went to heaven.

Why would he make a world where everyone was cruel and bitter.why even give them that evil in the first place?so he can watch us rip each other apart?Is it some game to him so he doesnt get bored?
Everything God created was good. What we do with our lives is our choice.

God was supposed to have made the world and the people in it.But science has found that the world was created by a big bang.confusing.
And science gets a lot of things wrong. Science does not give your life direction, meaning, or even hope.

One thing i dont understand is how long has this universe been here?Does time not really matter in that aspect?There must of been a beggining or was there.So many questions but so many not answered!
Why put all of your faith into scientists since they still don’t understand the universe?
  • Like 1
Doesnt psychology explain though that people can witness things that arent actually there?

Who actually wrote the bible?

Its a book that was written ages ago.How do we not know that its a fiction book?

I mean i could write a book and in a 100 years or more people could find it and believe it.

How do you know World War 2 actually happened? How do you know Saddam’s ousting and US presence in Iraq is not a hoax? How do you know you can trust your senses? Are you in the Matrix?

In them times anyone that could do things was thought of as evil or extremeley powerful whereas now we have studied things and we know that things can be illusions etc

When this book was written there are people saying jesus did this and that but how did people in those times know he was a miracle man for sure?He could of been a magician.Things that happened in those days where seen as unreal now anythings possible.

Do you think people at that time would have had him tortured and crucified if they knew he was the son of God?

If we didnt know that some tricks magicians play on us are illusions then we would think they where pwerful and almighty to wouldnt we?

If nothing has been proven about the world where as science is envolved why do people choose to belive in god.There is no proof whatsoever.Except for a book that over time might have been thought of as real when really it might have just been a story.
The paradox of the unbeliever.

There is no proof -> Because there is no proof, you do not search for it -> Since no proof was found, therefore there is no proof.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

We know for sure that the Church is old. There is plenty of archaeological evidence assuming you think archaeology is a science.

If god gave us free will why send jesus down to tell us to follow him?Why didnt he come himself?
Why did he bother giving you life or even a family? He did it because he chose to. You, like everyone else, are not entitled to anything.
I have been wondering this for a while now and although i really wish there was i dont think there is.

I mean theres no proof.

It makes me so angry that he doesnt help.I will probably get people saying he does but how?

Has he helped any of you?Because he hasnt me.

Why would he want people to obey his every command and then repay them with something thats nasty?

I mean take my grandad he died a year ago from something being wrong with his heart.(painful) now my nanna a year later has cancer!Shes a believer but yet he wont help!The thing is if she gets better i suppose thats gods work but if she dies then he couldnt do anything about it.It gets me so wound up.

Does he enjoy seeing people in pain?If not why does he let it happen?

Hi Toni_no12002,

First of all, I'm sorry for all you've been going through, I know hard hard it is watching your grandparents become ill and pass away. You should seriously urge your nanna to seek help, however, she may still have lots of time left with you if she receives proper medical care.

You're reached the age where you are confronting some of lifes biggest realities and mysteries. Please continue to think for yourself, don't let anyone tell you what to think. Always ask questions, lots of them and pay attention to the answers. You'll get an amazing variety of answers, many of which are well thought out and sincere. It will take time for you to find an answer you are comfortable with, so don't feel like you have to follow anyone else's belief system.

In response to your original question, no one knows. Doesn't matter how strongly they believe pro or con, no one knows. You'll hear some folks here say, "Yes, I KNOW He exists" but they don't know, they only strongly believe. Belief doesn't make it so. And on the other hand some folks say, "Of course there isn't a God, thats silly superstitious nonsense" but again, that's their own belief. Again, doesn't make it true.

My own beliefs are very close to what reservoirdog1 posted earlier. I do struggle with the possibility, but I believe this is just the remnants of a childhood having religion and God (two VERY different concepts, BTW, and a good topic for a future post) shoved down my throat. Later in life, I became a born again Christian, but my very nature caused me to question all I saw and heard around me, so I left the church, becoming very anti-religion. Perhaps I still am, but I try to be objective, however.

Despite my serious doubts about the existance of God, when I hear people whose opinions I respect talk about their own faiths (Quank, Moimeme), I keep that small part of my own heart open to the possibility. Read around here and you'll see a good selection of ideas on the subject.

I hope your own spiritual journey goes well and you find a path that serves you well in life. Good luck, and be true to yourself.

ThumbingMyWay

Jesus came to teach us, to show us, to be an example. We are tangible people. If someone told you they loved you but never showed you would you believe their love was real?

I admire your faith pada....never be ashamed of it.

Romans 5: 3-5

We can rejoice too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us-they help us learn to endure. And endurance develops strength of character in us, and character strengthens our confident expectation of salvation. And this expectation will not dissapoint us. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

Faith is a wonderful thing....yet complex at the begining. Over time...when you let the Holy Spirit work within you...you will feel an overwhelming sense of calm in the midst of chaos. And that is were you can rejoice in your trials. Cause when its all said and done.....Gods grace is new every day...and in exchange for having faith in Christ and spreading his word of LOVE....we will surely be rewared in eternal life.

Personaly...I believe life on earth is a test.....God is testing us for eternal life. if we can endure the pain and suffering that was created by God for humans, then we will surely be prepared for the gifts of salvation. But we must have faith and keep faith in our darkest hours....

ThumbingMyWay
what does everyone think?

I think you should read this book. It changed my the way i view life, faith and love.

reservoirdog1

RP, that is an excellent point. I guess I had a religious experience the last time I got a really good BJ. :cool:

I admire your faith pada....never be ashamed of it.

Romans 5: 3-5

We can rejoice too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us-they help us learn to endure. And endurance develops strength of character in us, and character strengthens our confident expectation of salvation. And this expectation will not dissapoint us. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

Faith is a wonderful thing....yet complex at the begining. Over time...when you let the Holy Spirit work within you...you will feel an overwhelming sense of calm in the midst of chaos. And that is were you can rejoice in your trials. Cause when its all said and done.....Gods grace is new every day...and in exchange for having faith in Christ and spreading his word of LOVE....we will surely be rewared in eternal life.

Personaly...I believe life on earth is a test.....God is testing us for eternal life. if we can endure the pain and suffering that was created by God for humans, then we will surely be prepared for the gifts of salvation. But we must have faith and keep faith in our darkest hours....

I am never ashamed of my faith..

I don't make all the right decisions. I am a hypocrite.. I will never deny that. But in my heart I know who God is and his exhistance. I know what he wants me to do but I chose to be selfish and do things my way and I know I will have problems in my life because of it. My life is a roller coaster with lots of experiences and trials. Each one of them has a lesson.

I believe one day I will chose to do what is right and feel content with it. For now I feel like I'm missing out on life if I give up my selfish ways. It is my divergence with myself. "What I know and what I do."

I pray for strength, persevence, and a complete change of heart. To follow Christ and live by God's rules is sacraficing ones own desires and will.

I have lots of growing to do in my life. I have a lot of changes to be made. I believe I will know when it is time for the change and yet maybe; like God has done to others from time to time, he will reach his hand down upon me and transform me in his touch. It's rare for him to intervene in a persons life because he gave us free will but he has been known to do it.

Yet I am a sinner, my faith is strong in him.

Pada and Apex- great posts!

One thing I cannot fathom and that is how anyone who has ever had a child could say that no God exists?? How could anyone- especially a big bang- cause a child to grow in it's mother's body like that? Who but our Heavenly Father could know that the woman's ribcage had to expand to allow the baby to grow and that her cervix would need to dilate to get the baby out??

Who else could cause two little cells to form together, and after seven days of conception start to beat like a heart??

I believe in God for all of the reasons that Pada stated, yes, but to me the birth of a baby is more existance for non believers than anything.