He doesn't want me there on his Bday

MindYourBusiness

bathtub-row

You go to the party, even though he didn’t want you there. He acts coldly toward you, yet you stay for hours. He doesn’t contact you the following day, even though he said he would. Which part of going to the party was a great idea? In my opinion, you didn’t give him any space at all, and you proved to him that you have very little self-respect.

• Like 1

Lenila, he doesn't care about you. It's time to move on. Yes, he probably wants sex when he wants it, but that's not love.

• Like 1
So I ended up going to his birthday party.. After I got there he did not say hi for over an hour until I walked over. He said thank you for coming and gave me a hug but thats it.. At night after I left he texted me what I am doing and thanked me for giving him space and said lets talk tomorrow.

Well I didn't hear from him all day... I am very confused. We have friends in common that told me he really cares about me and keeps telling them how much he likes me. What should I do with this entire situation?

Cares about you? He doesn't have to be romantically interested to care about you. I can't believe you would lower yourself to attending his B-day party. If a guy didn't want me there he would never have to worry about laying eyes on me again. There's nothing to be confused about. He's just not into you. Stop listening to his friends and look at how you're treated. That should tell you everything you need to know.

• Like 1
our fight friday was really intense which is why he asked for space.. I just wonder how much space is too much if that makes sense? He knows I am hurting and I am willing to put his needs above mine for a certain period of time but for my understanding the fight was not so severe that he should disappear on me for more than 3 days..

Why are you putting his needs ahead of yours?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Hi,

I really need you guys advice. I had a surprise party planned for the guy I have been dating. Things went wrong, his roommate who was supposed to make sure theres nothing else planned didn't do his job and I got upset because they ended up having a guys night.

The fight escalated because I was really hurt as I felt unappreciated and now he says he needs space and acts very unkind and mean towards me. Today his is other birthday party and he said there is no room for me in the Uber.. what should I do?

Find something to do with your time--like find a new boyfriend who respects your esteem.

Did he know about your surprised party before he went out with his boy who dropped your ball?

It would seem your angst was with the friend and not your boyfriend (if he had no idea about your party), so I'm wondering exactly how badly this fight you had with your boyfriend unfolded if he's telling you that he doesn't want you around him on his birthday and that he needs space from you.

Edited by kendahke
  • Author
MindYourBusiness
Find something to do with your time--like find a new boyfriend who respects your esteem.

Did he know about your surprised party before he went out with his boy who dropped your ball?

It would seem your angst was with the friend and not your boyfriend (if he had no idea about your party), so I'm wondering exactly how badly this fight you had with your boyfriend unfolded if he's telling you that he doesn't want you around him on his birthday and that he needs space from you.

Thanks for your response. The fight was pretty severe. I asked for space and to go out with the boys alone after a while of fighting and in that situation I was not able to give him that space because the entire situation made me so anxious. The end of the story was that he did not go out on his birthday night which obviously really upset him.

This morning he texted me that he still really likes me and always enjoys our time together.

I don't know if he is acting really immature and doesn't really know how to handle the situation or if he's just not into me..

ExpatInItaly
I don't know if he is acting really immature and doesn't really know how to handle the situation or if he's just not into me..

I'm sorry OP, but I think it's the bolded.

You are much more invested than he is. I wouldn't bother trying to revive something that isn't really there.

• Author
MindYourBusiness
Sounds like you are his back up plan.

I know 100% he is not seeing anyone else. When I showed up at the party there was actually only guys like he said.

bathtub-row
I know 100% he is not seeing anyone else. When I showed up at the party there was actually only guys like he said.

So? He still treated you like crap. Why do you persist with this guy?

Btw, back up plan means that he’ll use you until someone better comes along.

• Author
MindYourBusiness
So? He still treated you like crap. Why do you persist with this guy?

Btw, back up plan means that he’ll use you until someone better comes along.

he just texted that he really cares and if I am willing to talk this out..

he just texted that he really cares and if I am willing to talk this out..

At any point has he said he's sorry for blowing you off? has he called you? Texting is lame under the circumstances. You can hear him out but it has to be face to face. You will fix nothing via text. Don't even try. You will lose so much context all you will do it make it worse.

Understand that what he doesn't want to lose is a steady source of sex with a girl who lets him get away with treating her so badly. Doormats are hard to come by. Take him back at your own risk. Until you set real boundaries & begin to exhibit a little back ground, he will continue to treat you cavalierly.

• Like 1
  • Author
MindYourBusiness
At any point has he said he's sorry for blowing you off? has he called you? Texting is lame under the circumstances. You can hear him out but it has to be face to face. You will fix nothing via text. Don't even try. You will lose so much context all you will do it make it worse.

Understand that what he doesn't want to lose is a steady source of sex with a girl who lets him get away with treating her so badly. Doormats are hard to come by. Take him back at your own risk. Until you set real boundaries & begin to exhibit a little back ground, he will continue to treat you cavalierly.

I will give him an opportunity to explain where this behavior is coming from but will definitely walk away if he is not willing to not to give this relationship the label "exclusive" after 3 month of dating. I will keep my distance for another days so that I won't stop crying during the talk.

Communicate to him that you need a day of two to collect your thoughts because you are so hurt & tell him when & where you want to meet him. do not just go silent on him. Failing to respond will make things worse.

• Author
MindYourBusiness
Communicate to him that you need a day of two to collect your thoughts because you are so hurt & tell him when & where you want to meet him. do not just go silent on him. Failing to respond will make things worse.

Yes, I communicated that. I just need to get my power back over this situation and don't want to be available the moment he realizes I am worthy.

And this is not just a game I am playing, I am actually confused about what I am going to do. Theres not really an excuse for rude behavior from him but then again I know that he had a REALLY difficult ex girlfriend and explained one time that he gets triggered easily.

I know that he had a REALLY difficult ex girlfriend and explained one time that he gets triggered easily.

...and...

Scarlett.O'hara

If you are concerned about the damage it will do to your self esteem or anxiety levels long term then you really need to stay away from guys like this. In my opinion it would be a big mistake to continue to date this guy, but you have to learn from your own mistakes and make that decision for yourself.

Hopefully it doesn't cause lasting damage that follows you into future relationships. It would be a shame to make the next person pay for someone else's behavior.

Just something to think about.

• Like 2
introverted1

What am I missing here? If I understand things correctly, you attempted an ill-planned party for his BD and, then when it didn't pan out, you prevented him from going out with his friends -- a plan he'd had all along. He doesn't break up with you over this manufactured drama, but he does ask for space.

Next, you ignore his request for space, and inject yourself into a different birthday event.

And now everyone is piling on about HIS bad behavior? Seems to me he's not the one who has behaved poorly here.

• Like 3
  • Author
MindYourBusiness
What am I missing here? If I understand things correctly, you attempted an ill-planned party for his BD and, then when it didn't pan out, you prevented him from going out with his friends -- a plan he'd had all along. He doesn't break up with you over this manufactured drama, but he does ask for space.

Next, you ignore his request for space, and inject yourself into a different birthday event.

And now everyone is piling on about HIS bad behavior? Seems to me he's not the one who has behaved poorly here.

Thats what I am saying! Even though that guys - going out - thing came up very last minute, I definitely over reacted. He caused major hurt in me because he brought up past fights and got really personal and that is how things escalated.

I am just very confused since everyone here seems to advise me to dumb him. I originally came here to get advise on how to handle/fix the situation, I never wanted to dumb him. I knew I screwed up here too just think he is taking it too far. I feel punished

I agree with the two posters so far that said this is a workable thing. Giving space to each other seems like a good idea so that cooler heads would prevail. If you are crying all the time about it doesn't sound like you are ready to talk it out with him, right?

I'd probably ask why he didn't want the planned surprise party and what brought about the wanting to spend time with the guys thing.

Your relationship should probably have a label after 3 months, have you brought that up with him yet?

• Author
MindYourBusiness
I agree with the two posters so far that said this is a workable thing. Giving space to each other seems like a good idea so that cooler heads would prevail. If you are crying all the time about it doesn't sound like you are ready to talk it out with him, right?

I'd probably ask why he didn't want the planned surprise party and what brought about the wanting to spend time with the guys thing.

Your relationship should probably have a label after 3 months, have you brought that up with him yet?

thanks for your response.

I need to get my emotions under control. I have always been a cryer but I understand how that can make communication harder.

His roommate was supposed to keep him from making other plans but it did not work out so I got really upset and hurt and blamed it on my man.

We have talked about this becoming something more serious and he has mentioned several times that its more than just sex. However, we both just got out of pretty long relationships at the beginning of this year and we discussed to just take it slow. Ive always been ok with that because it progressively developed into something more serious, but this fight got me wondering if I am really ok if this not having a label. It makes me more anxious if that makes sense?

some_username1

Looks like the sisterhood wanting to paint this guy as an ******* simply because he had other things to do than a very ill advised surprise birthday party. Heaven forbid this guy wants to, y'know, actually hang out with his friends. He should have ditched those guys the minute OP came into his life like a good little boy :rolleyes:

Honestly, someone mentioned three months which if true is absolutely crazy for:

a) organising a surprise birthday party - that would freak a lot of guys out

b) the hysterical over-reaction of 'dump him, he don't care about you' etc.

A mature adult would realise that they called it wrong with the party (the OP's partner has every right to decline to attend a party he had no part in planning without it reflecting badly on him) and offer to take him out somewhere he wants to go, as a couple, under the title of 'Birthday celebration MKII'. An emotionally immature person would have an emotional meltdown, take great offence and dump the guy.

What OP's partner wants to do on his birthday is entirely up to him and as it's his birthday OP should be fine with it and not make it all about her and, even worse, dump him because he doesn't do what she wants. Strewth.....

• Like 1
  • Author
MindYourBusiness
Looks like the sisterhood wanting to paint this guy as an ******* simply because he had other things to do than a very ill advised surprise birthday party. Heaven forbid this guy wants to, y'know, actually hang out with his friends. He should have ditched those guys the minute OP came into his life like a good little boy :rolleyes:

Honestly, someone mentioned three months which if true is absolutely crazy for:

a) organising a surprise birthday party - that would freak a lot of guys out

b) the hysterical over-reaction of 'dump him, he don't care about you' etc.

A mature adult would realise that they called it wrong with the party (the OP's partner has every right to decline to attend a party he had no part in planning without it reflecting badly on him) and offer to take him out somewhere he wants to go, as a couple, under the title of 'Birthday celebration MKII'. An emotionally immature person would have an emotional meltdown, take great offence and dump the guy.

What OP's partner wants to do on his birthday is entirely up to him and as it's his birthday OP should be fine with it and not make it all about her and, even worse, dump him because he doesn't do what she wants. Strewth.....

Not sure if you red everything but Ive never planned on dumping him. Thanks