What do guys/girls think of tattooed girls?

thefooloftheyear

Bear this in mind as well, before you judge...

More people than you would imagine have successfully gained self esteem using tattooing to cover up unsightly and often disfiguring skin conditions...They won't tell you this, but that's the deal...

Also, if you are considering it, then you need to think of it as something you may need to bounce off ideas with someone that has a real flair for what looks good...It's no different than interior design or landscape design...Most people just don't have a flair for it, so if they use their own judgement then it will look like crap...Find a proper well experienced artist and one way to judge if they are really good or not, is if they just do what you tell them you want, then they probably suck...Most will advise you and will actually tell you that what you want will look like crap or at least modify it so it looks good....Most of the better one's wont even do what you tell them, even if you insist, as they don't want their name brought down by a lousy job, just because the client thinks its awesome...And like a lot of things in life...You usually get what you pay for, so don't go cheap..;)

TFY

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

Also, if you are considering it, then you need to think of it as something you may need to bounce off ideas with someone

Definitely true! One idea my daughter was throwing around was a tattoo to match her horse's tattoo he has that identifies him. She was thinking maybe her wrist would be a good place. So, it would end up looking something like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identification_in_Nazi_concentration_camps

Thankfully, she decided this was a really terrible idea. :eek::lmao:

Tearsdontfall7
I find the same guys that dislike tattooed women also dislike women who are workout enthusiasts and like to do some weight training...Like somehow a woman isn't a "real" woman if she isn't as soft as a pillow and can't open a fresh jar of peanut butter without the help of her guy...:laugh:

Not sexy?? c'mon..

TFY

I'm exclusively interested in women who workout hard with weights

The difference is a toned yet feminine body is beautiful while big tattoos are super gross

• Like 1

It won't be a deal breaker for me if I can see the design isn't cringe/and is done very very well.

I notice people of a 'low-socioeconomic' background seem to go for the cheap sailor tattoos without any much though to how it actually looks on them and those types of women I definitely will not go for.

Just because you WANT to do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

I'm female, and the reason I don't like them is I like plain skin and find that sexy. In the late 80s, I dated some guys who had good tats and quite a few of them, but I didn't like them and wished I could just see their skin. Same reason I don't like beards. I like skin better. The only tat I ever liked was a small white (nearly invisible) bat on a guy's wrist. I do think they look trashy in general, but again, so many people had them at one time you couldn't filter them out and have anyone left, but you know, once they became that widespread, I saw even less reason for anyone to get one. I don't like piercings at all. I mean, ear is fine, but I am grossed out by them. I used to run with crowds that often had them though. I just don't like them. It doesn't mean I don't like the people who have them, though. I just don't see the point.

emeraldgreen

Tattoos are okay. It's face piercings I'm put off by. A pretty face with nose, lip and eyebrow piercings is like the Mona Lisa with graffiti.

• Like 1

I'm 65 and I think my age 'colors' my attitude about tats ...

I think they're trashy and low-class on men as well as women. They suggest gangs, druggies, criminals, and prison to me. It's a cultural thing based on my straight-arrow, white, upper-middle class, suburban background. On the other hand, I think women who work out and get a little buff are sexy. Buff enough for body-building competition, however, is too much.

• Like 1

^ I'm roughly the same age, but I've been anything but straight and narrow, so I ran with a wild crowd and more than one type of crowd, but it still doesn't mean I like tats and holes. In fact, I am about the only one from my old crowd who is neither tatted nor holed.

I think one tat is okay on a guy. I remember seeing Adam Levine on the halftime show on super bowl, and how gross it was for him to take his shirt off and seeing his whole upper body covered in tats! What a shame-such a good looking guy covered in that. Every damn celebrity, musician have that whole sleeve tat. It just ruins it, I don’t mind one tat, but covered. Gross

Just curious!

I've a huge watercolour tattoo on my back, and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it (to my face, at least), and I've never regretted it. I got it as a symbol of taking back power and stuff like that, personal reasons etc.

I was reading through a post here about tattoos being trashy, and only just realised that perhaps the reason men who have approached me over the years have always been chilled out, relaxed people, or at least not too straightlaced, may have been due to my tattoo! It may have acted as a filter for people who are straight laced or prefer/need their women to be straightlaced and clean cut.

I'm actually in a very straightlaced job (really preppy type of career), i seldom party, kinda of introverted and a homebody. At work, I cover up my tattoos, no one at my workplace knows (unless they become close friends), and my own parents don't know about my tattoos, whenever we meet up I cover them up.

Was pretty taken aback when I read about tattoos being considered trashy, I kind of thought that in 2019, people would be a lot more open and less judgmental about tattoos by now. I've just gotten so used to having a tattoo that when i sometimes get compliments on my tattoo, I'm actually like, Oh, yea, it is a tattoo. It's not just my skin.

So i'm just curious - if people see a girl with a huge full-back tattoo, watercolor of flowers and all, do people think trashy? Different? Is it really that big a deal? I'm so used to it now, I'm just curious if it's actually a bigger deal than i thought!

That's a deal breaker for me. If I see a tattoo I move on to the next person. It looks extremely trashy to me and gives the impression she doesn't care about her body. Not sure why the year matters

oceanblue12

I wouldn't say they are deal breakers completely but I am not a big fan of tats.

I personally do not have any nor do I plan on getting any. I am not a fan of sticking arbitrarily having needles sticking me with ink in them.... just not my thing

• Like 1
I had no clue so many men were so vehemently anti-tattoo!

if a girl showed me all her tats on a 1st date i'd never call her again

• Like 2
TheFinalWord

I've never met a guy that said "That girl would be so much hotter if she had tattoos." I've only ever heard the reverse. I'm sure there's exceptions, but on the whole, men aren't going to find tats an attractiveness enhancer. There's no point in trying to shame men for what they find attractive/unattractive. Or trying to virtue signal by psycho analyzing why men don't like them. Most men won't say anything in real life. The internet is where the truth comes out...

I dated a really attractive, mid-20s woman last year. She was stunning, but she had a massive tattoo that covered her entire waist. It looked like a series of vines with flowers at the ends. It wasn't an ugly tattoo, but to me it covered up her stomach area and waist and made her less attractive. Men like the waist/hip visual appeal (hourglass) in the same way women like a man's shoulder to waist ratio (V-taper). She was really into working out and I didn't understand why she wanted to cover all that hard work with tattoos. I was still interested in her, but I would be lying if I didn't reduce her attractiveness. And her tats were all covered with clothing so it wouldn't ruin her "arm candy" status lol. My opinion about her being less attractive due to her tattoos had nothing to do with her being "arm candy" or whatever. She can do whatever she wants with her body. I don't see it as any more judgemental than a woman is more attracted to a man with the golden 1:1.618, shoulder to waist ratio. It doesn't necessarily mean she likes that look so her friends with think she's dating a hot guy. It can just be what turns her on, visually. Men are extremely visual. A woman that covers her body in tattoos risks messing up what stimulates a man visually. If that's a filter for ruling a man out, than so be it. Or if someone wants to virtue signal by validating her tattoo choices, then that's their right. But it doesn't make a person a morally superior person if a guy doesn't find a girl with tattoos less attractive. The girl I'm referring to, her tattoos just made her look less attractive and made her look rougher than she it was. Like she had this really soft, feminine skin, and covered it with ink.

Edited by TheFinalWord
added link
  • Like 2
  • Author

It's really eye-opening to see the number of people who are very much against tattoos! Kind of always thought the society I'm in would be more conservative than most, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Personally, I don't think it's the act of getting a tattoo that makes one unique. As mentioned by many, tattoos are commonplace nowadays, and the state of having one does not make a person unique. However, what I love about tattoos is that it allows the person to take control of how his/her body looks like. To define what your body should look like, for it to look appealing to yourself.

I used to struggle with lots of body image issues, eating disorders, etc. I was very underweight, but it wasn't good enough too, I had to have abs, I had to have the muscular cuts, blah blah. I was constantly working out, I needed my body to be that certain way. One day, I simply had enough, and decided that no - I will no longer spend my life so miserable and superficially concerned. As part of the commitment to no longer pursuing the cookie-cutter perfect body, I decided on getting myself a tattoo.

Admittedly, I'd always thought men and women with tattoos to be really hot. No idea why, just something about it. Of course, artistry and placement matters, but when a man or a woman is really hot, the addition of a tattoo really tweaks it up a notch.

From the time I decided to get myself a tattoo, I spent the next 2 years being sure the design I wanted was the one for me. 2 years later, I still loved it, got it done.

I've never looked back. My boyfriend loves it, finds it really sexy. I love it, it makes me who I am. And I've never had body image issues to that extent again. I'm okay with not having a 14% body fat body, I'm good with pizzas for dinner, my weight is only slightly under. It's changed my life.

And to be honest, the comments on LS have truly shocked me. I'd never had any problems dating, or meeting men, or about revealing to them that I had a tattoo. No one ever seemed turned off. Even if they were taken aback (cause I've a really nerdy job and apparently look like a typical girl-next-door), they'd usually still pursue things, dates would go on.

I don't really understand the vehemence shown, I mean, this is the closest image I can find that resembles my tattoos (I can't show mine without risking my identity, but it's of a similar style): https://inkppl.com/en/user/pissaro_tattoo#gallery-4

and I just don't understand how such artwork can be seen as trashy. I don't even comprehend how the artist did it, she's amazing and I can't grasp the concept of someone having such immense control over their psychomotor skills to produce that kind of artwork on skin.

And this is considered trashy by so many people? I can't wrap my head around that!

Anyway, still grateful for all the input. Was asking mainly because many friends (all my friends know I have tattoos) were asking about why I'm so private about having a tattoo, why it's never on social media, etc. Their stance is that people generally don't mind, and I'm taking too much trouble to hide it.

Now, these comments have helped me make up my mind. For the sake of my professional life, I really need to continue to keep things under wraps. Seems there's still a lot of judgement going on, and it actually helps to realise that!

• Like 1
TheFinalWord

I don't think it looks trashy per say.

I do find they reduce a woman's attractiveness.

But you have a story with yours, which is pretty cool. I'm sure your boyfriend likes it. Most men aren't going to find them to be deal breakers, but for most men, they will reducer her attractiveness. Like the girl I described, I really liked her and she was smoking hot. I didn't think less of her because she had a full waist/stomach tattoo. But it did reduce her attractiveness in my opinion. Just like you might like a guy with a beard. If you met a really attractive guy without a beard, you probably wouldn't just drop him just because of that. It might just reduce your initial attractiveness. But if there was some story attached to why he is clean shaven, you might find that reason really attractive and it cancels out your preference for a guy with a beard.

It's fine if you have a tattoo. The problem is women that think they're morally superior because a guy that doesn't like their tattoo is not just a preference he has, but it's a part of the patriarchy to hold her down and de-value her. It isn't that deep for men lol You have a healthy mindset and don't get your value from the opinion of others. That's a healthy mindset and so I wouldn't worry about it.

For professional purposes, yes, you may want to keep it covered. I wouldn't consider it any different than dressing appropriately for the type of job you have. If you have a professional job, you probably can't show up in a tattered t-shirt and ripped up jeans. Tattoos are more of a fashion choice to me, so I wouldn't see them any different than a part of your style. Exposed tattoos may not fit the style of dress you have for work, so you may want to get them in places that you can cover them up in the work place. I used to have really long hair. But it didn't fit the job I am in so I cut it off. A fashion choice isn't the most important thing in my life. I'd rather have a job where I feel internally satisfied than being in a job I don't like just to be able to express myself with my fashion preferences. It's all a matter of priorities.

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 2
Trail Blazer

I find tattoos on women unattractive. I wouldn't not date a woman who has a couple of small, discrete tattoos. However, I find sleeve tattoos on women to be highly unattractive.

And this is considered trashy by so many people? I can't wrap my head around that!

CULTURE! Socioeconomics! Whether you were brought up in a 'conservative' environment (I was). As another example, ever hear the term 'trailer trash'? Yes, I know that people who live in trailers are not necessarily poor, uneducated, or lazy. But the way I was brought up was to look down on them in that way. (Ironically, late in life my parents briefly lived in a trailer after living in a series of houses for decades.) Tattoos have the same cultural connotation to me and always will. It doesn't help my attitude that I see more of a tendency on the part of 'younger generations' to both be entitled and unmotivated about work and to get tattoos.

Aside from the 'trashy' aspect, as a male I also find a woman covering her natural beauty with tattoos to make her less visually attractive.

I also think pixies haircuts on young women look manly and butch. There’s this co worker who is 30 and just got a pixie and on top of that she has a a nose piercing and those big gauges on her ears. I’m like wtf? Is she trying to look like a man? Not sexy at all.

• Like 1

Tattoos on girls can go one of two ways. If they're poorly done/designed or in a bad spot they can look trashy. But a really elaborate design, preferably with nice colours? Super sexy. Small, discreet ones (eg. on the ankle) is something I also find hot (again, if nicely done).

I'd never get one myself though - I feel I've changed so much over time that I can't guarantee that I'm going to like any design on me for the rest of my life.

I'd never get one myself though - I feel I've changed so much over time that I can't guarantee that I'm going to like any design on me for the rest of my life.

That is how I feel as well, designs tend not to age well. Fashions change.

What looks great one day, 6 months later can look decidedly horrible, tacky and out of date. The thought of having to look at it day in day out forever would not make me feel good. Removing tattoos is not easy, nor is the result guaranteed to look good.

Happy Lemming

You are not alone in this thinking and neither are the individuals who get that "really cool" tattoo.

A previous friend of mine owned a tattoo parlor (oddly he only had one small tattoo on his upper arm), he told me that business was booming, as he was covering up previous tattoos with new designs. He was very creative, but he told me sometimes there isn't a lot he could do with certain large or dark tattoos. He told me "prison tats" were the worst to try to cover up or change.

None for me either, similar to you; I think I would change my mind.

They aren't my thing, but I wouldn't judge someone else for having one. I'm married, but if I were dating, it wouldn't be a deal breaker if the guy had a tattoo, as long as we were compatible in other ways.