How do I develop something with this guy? **Updated**

krystalviolin

• Author
krystalviolin

Um, i think i need to clarify something. I go to that town at least once a week anyway. for musical lessons. and he does too. just two days ago we realized that we were both there but i had already gone home. going to that town is not a problem. and he is an okay guy, he is a classical musician. i would just have to go there another time or stay longer after lessons.

• Author
krystalviolin
And if you do go, DON'T do anything foolish (like having sex with and getting pregnant) which will ruin ALL your plans of going to med school, etc. I can see this guy trying to talk you into it because it will be 'your only chance since you both live so far away.'

Don't fall for that if he pulls it.

but if one always thinks like that, how do you ever get a boyfriend? a boyfriend that is not already your friend.

• Author
krystalviolin

his date suggestions by the way were: eat at a boat restaurant kinda thing and/or go running around the river. (we talked about how much we love running)

• Author
krystalviolin

i didn't ask for your opinion on THAT. I actually think it would be really cool and less awkward than sitting across from each other like in a job interview

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Redact quote of prior post
but if one always thinks like that, how do you ever get a boyfriend? a boyfriend that is not already your friend.

You can get a boyfriend without having sex.

• Author
krystalviolin
You can get a boyfriend without having sex.

yeah yeah i know! that's not what i meant. i'm looking for fun social interactions with him (sounds weird i know) but i feel like that could help me. anyhow, what i meant was: how do you date if you're constantly THAT careful and scared as you described. I mean he seems nice and to find out if he really is I'm gonna meet him once ?*♀️

Do not lie to your parents about this.

Since you go to the town anyway for music lessons, will you have enough time to travel, attend your lesson, see him & then get home?

While running might be fun & feel less awkward for you because you will both be active, it does present logistical challenges. If you go running, how will you talk? When you finish running & you are sweaty & gross, are you going to be comfortable traveling 2 hours home in those clothes? Where will you keep your instrument & your stuff while you are running? Playing tennis will have additional logistical problems. Where will you keep your racket while you are practicing.

• Author
krystalviolin

okay, WHAT we're doing on the date is actually not what primarily concerns me right now so please don't make me panick. and I've already decided to tell my parents as soon as we have a date.

I'm not trying to make you panic. I'm glad you will tell your parents. You mom may have some suggestions for ideas.

What is concerning you? I get it. Dating is scary & there is so much pressure on young people. We've all been there. How can we allay your fears?

Primarily I think you can just be yourself, but the best version of yourself and stay true to the values your parents instilled in you. If a boy is pressuring you, he's not the guy for you. For example if a guy says "if you loved me you would ____ [whatever it is you don't want to do, especially sex]" remember if he loved you he wouldn't press you to do things you are not ready for

• Like 1
  • Author
krystalviolin

he doesn't pressure me at all. In fact, he Always tells me to not feel pressured whenever I try to figure out a day where I have time to meet him.

• Like 1
  • Author
krystalviolin

why does it seem I'm doing all the work? we will set a date in the next week and then I'll see how he plans it.

Don't you have to travel to see him? He should travel to see you.

As I understand it, they live fairly far apart. The OP is already traveling to this other place closer to the guy because she has a music lesson.

Expecting a teenaged boy to travel 3+ hours each way is unreasonable. This was sort of a meet in the middle thing

• Like 1

I still think it too far to travel alone. It would be safer for you to have someone to travel there with you but they would end up being a 3rd wheel. Why can't you date guys who live closer?

• Author
krystalviolin
I still think it too far to travel alone. It would be safer for you to have someone to travel there with you but they would end up being a 3rd wheel. Why can't you date guys who live closer?

i go there all the time alone.

• Author
krystalviolin

So we finally have a date. Next week on Friday in a boat restaurant in that town "between us".

I am really looking forward to it. Can you guys give me some first date tips if you have any?

Dress comfortably but in something that makes you feel beautiful, not too sexy.

You can assume he's paying but have enough money with you to pay for the whole date if you have to.

Order something that is easy to eat & not messy. A first date is not the time to be fussing to get crab out of a shell, twirling spaghetti on your fork or dealing with sticky ribs.

Listen more then you talk. Ask open ended questions rather than yes or no questions. Don't interview the other person; be willing to open up a little about yourself but a date is not a therapy session; it's not the time to divulge every fear or mistake. Stick to neutral non controversial topics.

Have fun!