Relationship with a Scientist or Physicist?

• Author
bathtub-row
He has degrees in both physics and economics, if I'm not mistaken. Looking at my neighbor's Tesla, well ... it's somewhat protoypish.

I once spent a whole month without sunlight while working on an experiment.

Did you know that Bill Gates’ 66,000 sq ft house is partially built into the hill that it sits on? I know he’s not a physicist but he’s pretty doggone smart.

A whole month! Whoa.

It is correct that the physician prescribes the treatment, and the the physicist would develop (or at least validate) the software for the dose calculation. A physicist administering the dose would be highly unusual. That would most likely be a nuclear medical technologist (NMT).

I asked my husband about this and this is what he said :

“Brachytherapy I administer. Teletherapy a therapist does. 99 percent of my time is calculating. And thinking big thoughts .”lol

”Dosimetrist does the calculating, physicists do the checking. ”

Edited by BluEyeL
  • Like 2
littleblackheart

I know nothing about physics but my university has a very famous Professor in the Department of Physics (particle science) whose mere presence has boosted the profile of the department by quite a margin.

He's quite young, good looking and very unassuming. He also got a number 1 hit in the charts back in the day as part of a very famous pop band.

Based on that (and on that thread, on Galileo and on Einstein), physicists certainly seem like cool cucumbers.

• Like 2

“Brachytherapy I administer. Teletherapy a therapist does. 99 percent of my time is calculating. And thinking big thoughts .”lol

Interesting, it was different in my world, but I was mostly in diagnostics and not therapy. I've not administered a single dose, but implemented the dose calculations for many. (Aside from all the health physics calculations, of course.)

• Like 1
Btw, I’m in Texas. :)

Hmmm... just a short flight... but better not let my swoon-inducing blue eyes get me in trouble again :lmao: My fiancée's ship can make the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. :confused:

Did you know that Bill Gates’ 66,000 sq ft house is partially built into the hill that it sits on? I know he’s not a physicist but he’s pretty doggone smart.

A whole month! Whoa.

No, I have not heard about Bill Gates' house, but I believe it.

I was working on a synchrotron ring, and the maintenance period was about a month, the only time we could test the detector for possible damage sustained during the active period. So I worked 12hr days for that month. It was during the winter in a northern town, so it was dark both when I arrived and left. Pretty exhausting, but I was able to take time off after that.

Edited by CptInsano
  • Author
bathtub-row
Hmmm... just a short flight... but better not let my swoon-inducing blue eyes get me in trouble again :lmao: My fiancée's ship can make the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. :confused:

Kessek Run - no idea what you just said but if you and your fiancé are ever in this neck of the woods, look me up. :)

Edited by bathtub-row
Kessek Run - no idea what you just said but if you and your fiancé are ever in this neck of the woods, look me up. :)

Kessel Run: a famous smuggling route in a galaxy far, far away.

Han Solo in Star Wars conflated parsecs, a distance measure, with a time measure when boasting about the speed of his ship the Millennium Falcon.

Oppenheimer was somewhat like that in the sense that he was amazingly diverse. Did you inherit your father’s high intelligence?

My username comes from a street in Los Alamos where Oppie lived while heading up the Manhattan Project. It was unofficially called Bathtub Row because the ones on that street were the few who had full bathtubs instead of showers. It was later officially given that name.

Ahh , classic street and history.

But alas , nope l'm afraid l must of been hiding somewhere when his intelligence got handed around haha.

But l am very clever and far more aware than most so maybe l got a little bit of it in other ways.

My daughter has it though , so maybe things really do skip a generation . She could be anything she wanted , everything's just easy to her. She wants to be an artists, she's brilliant at art.

• Like 1
i have an ancenstral relationship story ...gk chesterton wasnt a professor or scientist he was however a really intelligent man....friends of his included the like of george bernard shaw...literary genius....

he once called his wife and said to her i dont know where im supposed to be... where am i supposed to be???? and she replied at home with me dear....from what my great aunt told me ....she was a homely woman devoted to him and he devoted to her.....i guess she was his grounding .she wasnt in his field she was just a great woman behind a great man who dwarfed men in his shadow ...literally...he was an imposing man...in many ways including physical stature and intellect

....... i have a feeling their conversations never faltered though between husband and wife ...he found solace and comfort in her arms...and they could be with each other in silence and feel at home..it hasnt been written about very much at all about the relationship.... but i feel it...

...maybe that's what highly intelligent go getter change the world types need......a grounding ...

someone to come home too.....who loves them as a whole person.....not their profession...and not just their brain....but who they are behind the thinking and the intellect...and talk to the side no one ever really sees.....someone who knows exactly when they need tea and toast and a break...or when they ring unsure of where they are supposed to be and feeling overwhelmed and alone.... ...can say to them....just come home....tea is on ....and the toast is hot....deb

Yeah you could be right/ And women like that really know their men and their heart , l effg love that stuff.

My mum was a very simple homebody type of person, but very deep. French.

But she was smarter than dad in a lot of ways. They were married 56yrs.

She could see things happening often years ahead with the kids or some life thing , or with dad.

Dad was a bit funny in those ways, often he couldn't see shyt or understand things going on with the kids , or mum, but mum could see everything.

intelligence usually has it's areas , but skips others. l'm really good mates with a professor, weird , what would we have in common. Well we just get along is all.

But he's a really dumb smuck in many ways l say that with humor , even he knows it and laughs about it.

l think that's why we get along , l'm a very grounded type and see a lot of things , he's sorta above somehow , doesn't see much , he reckons l'm better value than his skrink haha.

Maybe l should charge right .

But he could twist me into knots in 1 second flat if he gets on one of he's intelligent brainy rants, or books or subjects.

Edited by Chilli
  • Like 2

Right. I think to give any type of regulated drug you need a license for an MD degree.

Dude he was hot s*it in the 80s.

lol Do you and jj know each other?

Ahh , classic street and history.

But alas , nope l'm afraid l must of been hiding somewhere when his intelligence got handed around haha.

But l am very clever and far more aware than most so maybe l got a little bit of it in other ways.

My daughter has it though , so maybe things really do skip a generation . She could be anything she wanted , everything's just easy to her. She wants to be an artists, she's brilliant at art.

You are smart. You have common sense and street smart, which is highly valuable too. I didn't get the academic type of intelligence either, but I think my kids are smarter than I was at their age, which I am quite proud of. Their dad is an academic type but I have the street smarts, so I think they have a good balance.

• Like 1
Are you the fiance? :D

Funny another poster asked if BluEyeL was my sister only couple of days ago. She’s sure collecting many relatives on here over time :p:lmao:

• Like 4
todreaminblue
Yeah you could be right/ And women like that really know their men and their heart , l effg love that stuff.

My mum was a very simple homebody type of person, but very deep. French.

But she was smarter than dad in a lot of ways. They were married 56yrs.

She could see things happening often years ahead with the kids or some life thing , or with dad.

Dad was a bit funny in those ways, often he couldn't see shyt or understand things going on with the kids , or mum, but mum could see everything.

intelligence usually has it's areas , but skips others. l'm really good mates with a professor, weird , what would we have in common. Well we just get along is all.

But he's a really dumb smuck in many ways l say that with humor , even he knows it and laughs about it.

l think that's why we get along , l'm a very grounded type and see a lot of things , he's sorta above somehow , doesn't see much , he reckons l'm better value than his skrink haha.

Maybe l should charge right .

But he could twist me into knots in 1 second flat if he gets on one of he's intelligent brainy rants, or books or subjects.

hey chilli.....i think there always needs to be a balance that either way smart man smart woman.....need some sort of balance between intellect and heart .....a complement to each other where one lacks ...the other fills the spaces....

even on this thread a poster mentions not seeing sunlight until the completion of a project....i wonder if that poster ate regularly....genius do often neglect to instead focus on one high thought idea or project.......they forget the simplicities....clothing...food...sunlight.....since reading this thread i checked out oppenheimer....and einstein.....einstein was interesting on the list of demands and contract he made his first wife at the time sign....

worth a watch....

he said that he had little aptitude for dealing with people....

oppenheimer i found to be a little sad in the video i watched ....i don't think he was happy with himself....his reference to the bhagavad gita

direct quote"..... i have become death the destroyer of worlds, i guess we all thought that way one way or another"...i notice that he said thought and not felt.....i dont know why i felt that was important ....but it feels important....straight spiritual reference he gave nothing scientific....

i think scientists many...end up wanting more than ...just science.....there comes a time when they hope for more..they crave more than what they can define....they really want to believe in something greater than their own intellect...that there is more than a finality to their mortality and their inteelect to be infinite and possibly greater than the science within them......they want to feel .....smaller ..hence a love of wide spaces or nature ..wide expanses and unseen hope..deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 1

even on this thread a poster mentions not seeing sunlight until the completion of a project....i wonder if that poster ate regularly....genius do often neglect to instead focus on one high thought idea or project.......they forget the simplicities....clothing...food...sunlight.....since reading this thread i checked out oppenheimer....and einstein.....einstein was interesting on the list of demands and contract he made his first wife at the time sign....

[/Quote]

Hello Deb, I'm afraid you misinterpreted my statement about not seeing sunlight. These were large collaborations. People didn't see sunlight because they were geniuses who were forgetful or neglectful of other areas of their lives, but because a tight schedule demanded it. A synchrotron ring costs billions of dollars, and is managed accordingly, meaning that you try to get the most out of the investment, by all means possible.

I planned my day like I normally would, but I would work eight stories underground for a month, and would not have the weekends off.

• Like 2
Right. I think to give any type of regulated drug you need a license for an MD degree.

lol Do you and jj know each other?

You are smart. You have common sense and street smart, which is highly valuable too. I didn't get the academic type of intelligence either, but I think my kids are smarter than I was at their age, which I am quite proud of. Their dad is an academic type but I have the street smarts, so I think they have a good balance.

Well thank you pop. And yep l've noticed that about you , it's a beautiful thing to have and what a great combo for your kids.

Imo that's the perfect balance for them really.

My ex and l both keep my daughter really balanced in that way too.

Edited by Chilli
  • Like 2
todreaminblue
Hello Deb, I'm afraid you misinterpreted my statement about not seeing sunlight. These were large collaborations. People didn't see sunlight because they were geniuses who were forgetful or neglectful of other areas of their lives, but because a tight schedule demanded it. A synchrotron ring costs billions of dollars, and is managed accordingly, meaning that you try to get the most out of the investment, by all means possible.

I planned my day like I normally would, but I would work eight stories underground for a month, and would not have the weekends off.

thank you for explaining that for me capt insano...when you said you hadnt seen sunlight for a stretch it interested me thats why i referenced the post you made....

i still wonder though ....did you eat properly?...did you feel healthy....did you miss sunlight......why did you write i never saw sunlight for a month was it because....that is what you remember ....before you wrote about how important the project was.....the billion dollars that the project was worth....

there's a spiritual principle about fasting and pushing your body and mind surpassing temporal needs that it requires....inspires greater thought.....and a clarity and perception unable to be found any other way....did you ever pray for answers too to problems that cropped up or simpler solutions.......unconsciously maybe...im not trying to be smart ....or trying to be smart ...lol...obviously...i sound a bit ....dumb...i feel dumb today...loveshack has ...been taxing on me today or should i say yesterday...a bit disturbing........speaking of i think i need to sleep..........but i would like to know the answers for my own ...insight on how you tick away for one month without sunlight or weekend relief......just ignore me if you find the questions intrusive...or silly....deb..

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 2

We don't know each other people, he just said himself in his long bragging post that he was some kind of hot **** in the '80s. So was my dad :p So I was cautioning that he's old as h*ll

• Like 2
Funny another poster asked if BluEyeL was my sister only couple of days ago. She’s sure collecting many relatives on here over time :p:lmao:

That poster was drunk

• Like 2
  • Author
bathtub-row
hey chilli.....i think there always needs to be a balance that either way smart man smart woman.....need some sort of balance between intellect and heart .....a complement to each other where one lacks ...the other fills the spaces....

worth a watch....

he said that he had little aptitude for dealing with people....

oppenheimer i found to be a little sad in the video i watched ....i don't think he was happy with himself....his reference to the bhagavad gita

direct quote"..... i have become death the destroyer of worlds, i guess we all thought that way one way or another"...i notice that he said thought and not felt.....i dont know why i felt that was important ....but it feels important....straight spiritual reference he gave nothing scientific....

i think scientists many...end up wanting more than ...just science.....there comes a time when they hope for more..they crave more than what they can define....they really want to believe in something greater than their own intellect...that there is more than a finality to their mortality and their inteelect to be infinite and possibly greater than the science within them......they want to feel .....smaller ..hence a love of wide spaces or nature ..wide expanses and unseen hope..deb

Two books I highly recommend on Oppenheimer: American Prometheus, and 109 East Palace. Fantastic books.The first book I mentioned took the authors 25 years to write due to the massive amounts of information to compile. Yes, 25 years!

Oppie felt a LOT of guilt about what the bombs did but his initial role was to stop the Nazi’s. It’s a total conundrum and contradiction, as was Oppie himself. Part of it, too, was ego and drive. He pulled off something that had never been done before - and did it in a very short time. And the government he worked so hard for so betrayed him horribly. Oppie’s life was, in some ways, very sad but he was also very fascinating. There was a true innocence about him because of his sheltered life as a youth. The most amazing thing to me is that he and Einstein worked side by side at Princeton for many years. Can you imagine the conversations those two must’ve had? I wrote about this in one of my novels. One of my most lovable characters is - not surprisingly - a physicist turned businessman.

What you mention about the quote, it shows you how diverse he was and that diversity is what gave him his edge, I believe. He read poetry, spoke a few languages, hiked, rode horses, etc. Despite all the controversy that surrounded him, to me, he was an amazing person with an astounding mind.

• Like 1
We don't know each other people, he just said himself in his long bragging post that he was some kind of hot **** in the '80s. So was my dad :p So I was cautioning that he's old as h*ll

Speaking of that, I also got the impression he likes to brag about his looks :confused: I dunno, personally, I think that my bf is the sexiest man alive. However I can imagine it’d be quite off putting if he were as conscious about his good looks. But I’m sure that’s just me :p

• Like 1
thank you for explaining that for me capt insano...when you said you hadnt seen sunlight for a stretch it interested me thats why i referenced the post you made....

i still wonder though ....did you eat properly?...did you feel healthy....did you miss sunlight......why did you write i never saw sunlight for a month was it because....that is what you remember ....before you wrote about how important the project was.....the billion dollars that the project was worth....

What I was trying to convey is that basic research is often not very glamorous, meaning that you work long hours and get paid very little. There is also no direct application for what you did when you graduate, so you are researching for the love of physics itself. It often isn't very glamorous.

I ate, I didn't lose any weight, but I probably didn't eat very well. Imagine what the vending machines in the breakrooms looked like, as 12 countries participated in the research. By the weekend there were only Japanese snacks left that I couldn't identify but ate nevertheless. (Eating fish straight out of a can comes to mind, while listening to a Russian physicist talk about the good old Soviet times.)

there's a spiritual principle about fasting and pushing your body and mind surpassing temporal needs that it requires....inspires greater thought.....and a clarity and perception unable to be found any other way....did you ever pray for answers too to problems that cropped up or simpler solutions.......unconsciously maybe...im not trying to be smart ....or trying to be smart ...lol...obviously...i sound a bit ....dumb...i feel dumb today...loveshack has ...been taxing on me today or should i say yesterday...a bit disturbing........speaking of i think i need to sleep..........but i would like to know the answers for my own ...insight on how you tick away for one month without sunlight or weekend relief......just ignore me if you find the questions intrusive...or silly....deb..

It was more about pushing one's mind and deal with the isolation. Also the environment was somewhat dangerous, so you had to be alert the whole time. Having to focus for that long was probably the most exhausting part.

I grew up in a northern City, so not getting much sunlight during the winter felt normal. Getting none was somewhat extreme, but nothing that I would consider a spiritual experience. It was more of a sacrifice for the common cause.

Edited by CptInsano
  • Like 2