Relationship with a Scientist or Physicist?

Too much stereotyping. Many different kinds of scientists out there. Depends on whether he has a Ph.D., whether he does research or only teaches or neither one. Some Ph.D.s are seriously into their fields, even at home, and others it is only a job. After work, they are like everyone else. Hobbies, etc. Also depends on where he teaches (if he is a professor)--at a community college, state university, or research institution. Community and small college professors are less into their fields.

• Like 1
Yes, and no. Think of it that nuclear medicine is half physics and half medicine. (Which makes it really interesting from a regular standpoint, as NRC and FDA regulations may contradict each other.)

The physicist supervises and handles a lot of the bureaucratic overhead that the production of radiopharmaceuticals entails. It's essentially a compounding pharmacy, and he/she will have to collaborate with a pharmacist.

Sure, there are also research facilities, but you'll also find physicist in the production and distribution of radiopharmaceuticals.

Well I was mostly thinking of and comparing them to a medical doctor, like a radiologist or oncologist.

todreaminblue
Oppenheimer was somewhat like that in the sense that he was amazingly diverse. Did you inherit your father’s high intelligence?

My username comes from a street in Los Alamos where Oppie lived while heading up the Manhattan Project. It was unofficially called Bathtub Row because the ones on that street were the few who had full bathtubs instead of showers. It was later officially given that name.

your username has the coolest meaning...thankyou for sharing that here...deb

• Like 2
Just wondering how much peeps think the same stereotypes apply to other 'geeks'. Computer scientist/software engineer (and dozens of other labels) here. In my one year at Cornell (years before most colleges even had degree programs in computer studies), the physics professor withheld my AP credits while he tried to talk me into changing majors. Wasn't going to happen because I couldn't afford the tuition in an endowed school. Cornell, being a land-grant college, has statutory as well as private colleges at the university. I was studying agricultural economics at the state College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at the time on the way to a Business degree.

Well people will always stereotype almost every profession. There’s always both good and bad in all of them.

Not every scientist is the same.

I'm a principal researcher at the company I work for. I used to work in aerospace back in the 80s. I designed a micrometeorite shield for the CLSS module of the international space station. My terminal degree is from what is probably the most prestigious technical university in the world. I have patents and publications and have worked with Nobel prize winners.

I never, ever, told women any of this stuff when we started dating. I dated because I want to get away from work, have fun, and have sex. When women asked me what I do I just told them I work in R&D at such and such company.

I am well-groomed. I drive a Rubicon these days. I dance, play sports, instruct advanced students in an adventure sport. I have taken part in expeditions, including one sponsored by National Geographic.

People consider me quite down to earth and charming but highly intelligent and a bit of a daredevil. Deep inside I am a homebody. I believe my adventurousness can be attributed to counterphobic overcompensation.

What's it like to date me? When my focus is on you, you will feel wonderful. My gfs always tell me they feel like the luckiest woman in the world at first. But then, when my focus turns to an interesting problem or to one of my adventures you will feel neglected. I have an extreme ability to focus and tune everything else out. Including you. It's simultaneously a great strength and a huge weakness.

When I decide to break up with you (perhaps because you need more time than I feel I can give you?) I may seem callous and unfeeling. Because I will be callous and unfeeling - if you make it necessary- once I have decided a breakup has to occur. I cannot be dissuaded and there is no chance I will ever take you back.

I do not need someone who is super intelligent but there is no way I could have more than the briefest causal fling with a dimwit before becoming bored out of my mind. I actually prefer she not know about my areas of expertise. I already spend way too much time thinking about that. Instead, please bring an educated vocabulary, some knowledge of the world, and an ability to carry on a conversation to the table. It's a big plus if you have some area of excellence that sets you apart from the crowd. I want to learn something from you.

Edited by Jj66
  • Like 1
  • Author
bathtub-row
Not every scientist is the same.

I'm a principal researcher at the company I work for. I used to work in aerospace back in the 80s. I designed a micrometeorite shield for the CLSS module of the international space station. My terminal degree is from what is probably the most prestigious technical university in the world. I have patents and publications and have worked with Nobel prize winners.

I love you!!! :)

Edited by bathtub-row
  • Like 2
todreaminblue

i have an ancenstral relationship story ...gk chesterton wasnt a professor or scientist he was however a really intelligent man....friends of his included the like of george bernard shaw...literary genius....

he once called his wife and said to her i dont know where im supposed to be... where am i supposed to be???? and she replied at home with me dear....from what my great aunt told me ....she was a homely woman devoted to him and he devoted to her.....i guess she was his grounding .she wasnt in his field she was just a great woman behind a great man who dwarfed men in his shadow ...literally...he was an imposing man...in many ways including physical stature and intellect

....... i have a feeling their conversations never faltered though between husband and wife ...he found solace and comfort in her arms...and they could be with each other in silence and feel at home..it hasnt been written about very much at all about the relationship.... but i feel it...

...maybe that's what highly intelligent go getter change the world types need......a grounding ...

someone to come home too.....who loves them as a whole person.....not their profession...and not just their brain....but who they are behind the thinking and the intellect...and talk to the side no one ever really sees.....someone who knows exactly when they need tea and toast and a break...or when they ring unsure of where they are supposed to be and feeling overwhelmed and alone.... ...can say to them....just come home....tea is on ....and the toast is hot....deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 4
i have an ancenstral relationship story ...gk chesterton wasnt a professor or scientist he was however a really intelligent man....friends of his included the like of george bernard shaw...literary genius....

he once called his wife and said to her i dont know where im supposed to be... where am i supposed to be???? and she replied at home with me dear....from what my great aunt told me ....she was a homely woman devoted to him and he devoted to her.....i guess she was his grounding .she wasnt in his field she was just a great woman behind a great man who dwarfed men in his shadow ...literally...he was an imposing man...in many ways including physical stature and intellect

....... i have a feeling their conversations never faltered though between husband and wife ...he found solace and comfort in her arms...and they could be with each other in silence and feel at home..it hasnt been written about very much at all about the relationship.... but i feel it...

...maybe that's what highly intelligent go getter change the world types need......a grounding ...

someone to come home too.....who loves them as a whole person.....not their profession...and not just their brain....but who they are behind the thinking and the intellect...and talk to the side no one ever really sees.....someone who knows exactly when they need tea and toast and a break...or when they ring unsure of where they are supposed to be and feeling overwhelmed and alone.... ...can say to them....just come home....tea is on ....and the toast is hot....deb

That's interesting. I do think some of them need this, which is quite nice.

But others don't. They want something more challenging and exciting (to them).

• Like 1
  • Author
bathtub-row

Great story! Yes, I think that’s in the ballpark of what I think I’m looking for. A guy I really connect with, who feels the same about me, someone I admire and can respect his mind.

• Like 1
I wonder what it would look like if the world were filled with nothing but physicists....

Very quiet and very male... ;)

• Like 3
I love you!!! :)

:lmao:

Maybe we should share a glass of wine and talk about Oppenheimer sometime ;)

Very quiet and very male... ;)

But surely we'd be living in another galaxy by now or something?

Definitely flying around in the air in automobiles rather than driving on streets.

Would we live in houses? What would they look like?

Would the offspring be completely genetically engineered?

I can imagine all sorts of things. The sheer wackiness of it delights me. :laugh:

• Author
bathtub-row

Sounds fun! Or we could dissect Breaking Bad. Lol.

• Author
bathtub-row

Definitely flying around in the air in automobiles rather than driving on streets.

I can imagine all sorts of things. The sheer wackiness of it delights me. :laugh:

I think society would be more advanced but physicists seem to generally admire nature and can be somewhat down-to-Earth so I think they’d keep us grounded in many ways.

• Like 2
  • Author
bathtub-row
That's interesting. I do think some of them need this, which is quite nice.

But others don't. They want something more challenging and exciting (to them).

Oppie himself was quite the womanizer and seemed to like that excitement. Women apparently swooned over his blue eyes and charming personality. I have a theory about this. He was quite a misfit when he was young. After he grew into himself, so to speak, I believe he realized the impact he had on others and the magnificence of his own mind. He could soften the toughest of people. When he taught at Berkeley, his students began mimicking his manner of dress, gestures, etc. They completely adored him.

Oppie’s wife was quite bossy and a heavy drinker but her saving grace was that she truly appreciated who he was. After his death, she reportedly married another man named Robert and, when asked something about the names, she said no one would ever replace Oppenheimer.

Sorry...don’t get me started on this subject. Ever since I went to Los Alamos several years ago, I’ve been obsessed with J Robert Oppenheimer. :)

• Like 2
  • Author
bathtub-row

Btw, I’m in Texas. :)

Well, physicists aren't engineers, so what you'd see would be an endless supply of prototypes to prove a point. We would probably live more underground than we do now, as an underground location shields the experiment from external influences and the temperature remains more stable. (Astrophysicist will beg to differ, unless they study neutrinos.)

But yes, prototypes. One gf of mine was convinced that my Twitterbot and its camera were spying on her.

Edited by CptInsano
  • Like 1
  • Author
bathtub-row
Well, physicists aren't engineers, so what you'd see would be an endless supply of prototypes to prove a point. We would probably live more underground than we do now, as an underground location shields the experiment from external influences and the temperature remains more stable. (Astrophysicist will beg to differ.)

But yes, prototypes. One gf of mine was convinced that my Twitterbot and its camera were spying on her.

Isn’t Elon Musk a physicist? He builds rockets. However, he probably hires people to build rockets.

What you say makes sense, though. That’s my general impression of physicists — they tend to be Earth-bound.

• Like 1

Seriously!! Thats what I’d be thinking too.

I'm guessing you mean they research and study the treatments, rather than administer the treatments?

As far as I understand they administer the treatment. The physician prescribes the radiation dose and they calculate it and do the treatments, I.e. run the machine. They also calibrate the new instruments when the hospital gets a new one etc.

Isn’t Elon Musk a physicist? He builds rockets. However, he probably hires people to build rockets.

He has degrees in both physics and economics, if I'm not mistaken. Looking at my neighbor's Tesla, well ... it's somewhat protoypish.

What you say makes sense, though. That’s my general impression of physicists — they tend to be Earth-bound.

I once spent a whole month without sunlight while working on an experiment.

• Like 1
  • Author
bathtub-row
Well, physicists aren't engineers, so what you'd see would be an endless supply of prototypes to prove a point.

Great line!

• Like 1
As far as I understand they administer the treatment. The physician prescribes the radiation dose and they calculate it and do the treatments, I.e. run the machine. They also calibrate the new instruments when the hospital gets a new one etc.

It is correct that the physician prescribes the treatment, and the the physicist would develop (or at least validate) the software for the dose calculation. A physicist administering the dose would be highly unusual. That would most likely be a nuclear medical technologist (NMT).