Appeal of Serious Relationships?

That is literally the opposite of what is happening (well-educated and higher-earning people are MORE likely to be married, not less)

Did you read what I wrote? I clearly stated and agree there is no depute that educated couples have longer or lasting marriages. My point is the more educated and career driven a woman becomes, the harder it will be for her to find a mate. You literally are contradicting your own statement. Statistically men at the age of 36 will not marry.. how does finding a man at an older age makes it easier to marry? After a woman turns 30 her chances of find a husband decreases. This is the going trend almost in every western country.

Your mixing apples and oranges.

There is a risk that marriage could become a convention popular just among upper-income people; sociologists aren't sure what to do about it.

I literally pointed in the last post that marriage is dropping and divorce is increasing. :p

but you seem more interested in blaming it on women pursuing careers and degrees, so whatever. Again, women who have good careers are more likely to be married than not.

This is not a blame game... this a facts game. I am not taking gender sides.

Here is the caveat. Men typically do not care what a woman is earning nor her educational background (with consideration). So the idea that most men are chasing women with degrees I just do not believe it. The article you copied from should have said marrying will be only for the educated and wealth men. Why? because men love beautiful women and her income and degree will not stop a man from pursuing her.

As of right now more women are getting college educations than men.

So how is having less men with degrees make it easier for women to to find men? Isn't this a logic question?

Single men who have never married after age 36 are unlikely to marry, but this doesn't hold true for women. Women don't have a cliff point like that; they keep finding partners, whether through previously married, widowed or younger men.

Wait what!? women do have cliff points. What are you talking about. They are much more selective than men.. Women hardly date down.. you literally express it in your post with educated women seeking out educated men. Women hardly date men who are shorter, let alone younger. Men have a broader spectrum of dating than women.

Men don't marry at around 36 because they are experiencing what women experience between 18-30. That's the whole point of the mid-life crisis. lol. Men are actually more sought after when they are older because they are more established.

I am not sure why you are so deadset against marriage as an institution. If it's not for you, it's not for you, but that hardly makes it a failure.

Easy, of all the countries in the world we rank in the 10 highest countries for divorce.

• Like 1

Women with high careers and education are more likely to marry and less likely to divorce. If you don't believe look it up.

I think that people of both genders have become so bombarded by negative stories about marriage that many of us have become very cynical about it. The numbers might say something different but it seems like an institution in decline.

• Like 1
Women with high careers and education are more likely to marry and less likely to divorce. If you don't believe look it up.

Marriage and wealth are indeed positively correlated. The question remains on whether marriage promotes wealth or if wealthy people tend to marry, or a mixture of both.

• Like 2

Yeah, considering what you wrote, I'd err on the side that nothing has changed... Most people by 30 has been through one LTR, which in older times would have been marriage&divorse. Now - usually cohabitation&separation.

It makes logical sense people in middle age that have more assets chose to marry and stay married: marriage is done & kept for asset protection.No point to go through the whole pain of marriage and divorce if you're broke and childless, and technically not losing or gaining anything with it. I guess that's why younger and poorer people just cohab.

There is a risk that marriage could become a convention popular just among upper-income people; sociologists aren't sure what to do about it. But how about religious folks? There is still such a stigma in religious communities to have a bf/gf for a long time, in my recent experience my ex's friends were frowning and frowning we're not engaged after 9 months to an year. I feel blessed I wasn't too influenced ;)

Another interesting statistic is that a single man's likelihood of marrying falls off a cliff at around 36. I think both men and women are very set in their ways at mid 30s, and it is difficult to make such a drastic switch in lifestyle to couple with someone. I experience it myself. However - for women 35 marks the most drastic bio-clock experience - the cliff of the rapid reproductive decline, so women keep pairing/marrying to save their last chance for biological progeny... Men don't have this factor so they are free to enjoy singlehood as long as they want, and I'm sure it gets way too comfortable if they wait long enough.

These statistics are for the US and don't include cohabitation. While more people are choosing to cohabit these days, many are still going on to marry---just later in life (around 30 as opposed to 25). Common-law marriages have been eliminated in many states and are not that typical. Even nonreligious people like me are still choosing to marry.

Statistics on divorce are indeed hard to come by and have a lot of room for variation. You are right to point out that the rise in cohabiting has changed a lot. Why bother counting divorces when unmarried people who spent seventeen years together split up? Isn't that effectively the same?

One increasing problem in the US is that while marriages are more successful, they are happening more often among high earners and the well-educated. Younger people with significant debt are opting to postpone marriage because they don't feel established enough. That's not good. But when incomes and education goes up, so do marriages, and the marriages last longer. There is a risk that marriage could become a convention popular just among upper-income people; sociologists aren't sure what to do about it.

Another interesting statistic is that a single man's likelihood of marrying falls off a cliff at around 36. I suppose some men are set in their ways by then.

• Like 1
  • Author
Cookiesandough

risk of divorce is 50% higher when one person comes from a divorced family. it's 200% higher when both do

risk of divorce is 50% higher when one person comes from a divorced family. it's 200% higher when both do

not only that but the risk of divorce with each successive marriage gets higher

• Like 1
GunslingerRoland

A lot of crazy divorce statistics coming up in this thread, but the context that is missing is that they are highly skewed by demographics. If you are poor and uneducated you are less likely to get married and more likely to get divorced. That isn't the people on this website for the most part.

Anecdotal information is always suspect, but from people I know the divorce rate among my peers, compared to my parents peers/friends parents is completely different. A lot of couples I know are already surpassing their parents marriage lengths in their late 30's, early 40's. People are marrying for better reasons, and more carefully than before, and it is resulting in better marriages for the most part.

Here is one stat countering your 8 years average marriage:

4 in 10 1st marriages end in divorce: report - Canada - CBC News

"According to Statistics Canada, about 38 per cent of all marriages taking place in 2004 will have ended in divorce by 2035. "

So if 62% of the marriages last at least 31 years, even if the rest were instant divorces the average would be about 17 years. More realistically it's going to be well into the 20's.

I don't want to get too caught up on arguing one set of statistics vs. another, but divorce rates are not significantly worse than at any other point since divorce became a realistic option over being trapped in your marriage forever.

• Like 2
  • Author
Cookiesandough
thanks for reminding me why I haven't been in a LTR in years

Yea a LTR discussion turned into a marriage discussion but that's ok. My thoughts on marriage can be summed up by the Schopenhauer quote:"To marry means to halve one's rights and double one's duties." lol

• Like 2
todreaminblue

i don't feel there's anything nicer than sharing your dreams in bed at night with that special person...sharing your days...sharing the good times and the bad times as well..your hopes your wishes...the secrets you wouldnt tell anyone else.....going beyond just a physical intimacy and an emotional intimacy and marrying them together with a spiritual bond....is i believe where pure joy stems from...its a closeness to another who has your best interest at heart always that to me cant be beat....your best friend, your lover,your other half.....the person who stands beside you thick or thin rolled into a mutual satisfying and progressive relationship that grows and grows .....pretty heavenly actually.....to grow with someone.....to plan a future .....date nights even......to work hard at keeping the relationship alive........to laugh to cry and to dream with someone who wants to laugh and cry and dream with you....

good serious relationships that last arent easy......its work and blood and sweat and tears and that word....compromise........but in between those things that you do to keep it working..... you find the smiles and the closeness that cannot be denied..thats where love exists and keeps that relationship hope full..deb

• Like 2
Yea a LTR discussion turned into a marriage discussion but that's ok. My thoughts on marriage can be summed up by the Schopenhauer quote:"To marry means to halve one's rights and double one's duties." lol

But a burden (duty) shared is a burden lightened. And like I said before, sometimes 1 + 1 equals more than 3.

Yesterday was a typical Sunday for us.

• We slept in late and had some morning sex (one of the perks of a live in dude ;) ) - Joy multiplied

• I made us coffee - burden? But I would have made myself coffee, just as easy to make for two.

• He ran out to the corner shop and picked up some stuff for breakfast for the two of us - burden lightened

• I went horseback riding, he went and watched the ball game with some friends – still individuals free to do our own things and pursue our own interests.

• Later we went Halloween costume shopping– had a bunch of fun coming up with ideas and goofing around the store (and even shared some lovely kisses) – I live with my best friend, so we get to do lots of things like this - Joy multiplied

• Then we came home and I cooked us dinner - burden (but again, doesn’t take much more effort to cook for two than it does for one). He gave me honest compliments on the meal, I enjoy cooking and feeding others (fulfillment) - Joy multiplied, and we ate together, and enjoyed each other’s company ¬- Joy multiplied.

• While I found a movie to watch, he did all the dishes- burden lightened.

• I fell asleep with my head on his lap, as he stroked my hair (ha, maybe his is a burden for him), for me? - Joy multiplied.

• I went to bed and he joined me later with some lovely cuddles - Joy multiplied

• I woke up for work, coffee already made as he had set it up the night before - burden lightened

• Fit in a quickie after my shower - Joy multiplied

I fail to see the increase of duties and the loss of rights in my married life – but I know that isn’t true for everyone.

I know for ME – it was a lovely Sunday, same as many, and one that wouldn’t have been so joyful, fulfilling etc if I was going it alone.

Humans are social animals - sure some do well as loners. But the “single person apartment” is a modern invention. Historically humans lived closely with their family units, be that their parents and blood relatives, or their partners. I know I personally would not be as happy without that vital social interaction.

Someone to share my burdens and my joys with.

• Like 6
apparently going to church was too much of a burden :p

Hahaha yeah - it's important that you and your partner are compatible, we are second generation atheist / agnostics.

(And we live in the metro with the lowest church attendance in the nation - 60+% never attend - I completely forget Sunday church is a thing)

And we both knew before we got into a serious relationship that we didn't want children. Now we have all sorts of time for morning sex, late coffee, and can goof around on Halloween like big kids ourselves.

Edited by RecentChange
  • Like 1
And we both knew before we got into a serious relationship that we didn't want children.

trust me, one day you'll wake up and one of you will want kids

• Like 1
  • Author
Cookiesandough
But a burden (duty) shared is a burden lightened. And like I said before, sometimes 1 + 1 equals more than 3.

Yesterday was a typical Sunday for us.

• We slept in late and had some morning sex (one of the perks of a live in dude ;) ) - Joy multiplied

• I made us coffee - burden? But I would have made myself coffee, just as easy to make for two.

• He ran out to the corner shop and picked up some stuff for breakfast for the two of us - burden lightened

• I went horseback riding, he went and watched the ball game with some friends – still individuals free to do our own things and pursue our own interests.

• Later we went Halloween costume shopping– had a bunch of fun coming up with ideas and goofing around the store (and even shared some lovely kisses) – I live with my best friend, so we get to do lots of things like this - Joy multiplied

• Then we came home and I cooked us dinner - burden (but again, doesn’t take much more effort to cook for two than it does for one). He gave me honest compliments on the meal, I enjoy cooking and feeding others (fulfillment) - Joy multiplied, and we ate together, and enjoyed each other’s company ¬- Joy multiplied.

• While I found a movie to watch, he did all the dishes- burden lightened.

• I fell asleep with my head on his lap, as he stroked my hair (ha, maybe his is a burden for him), for me? - Joy multiplied.

• I went to bed and he joined me later with some lovely cuddles - Joy multiplied

• I woke up for work, coffee already made as he had set it up the night before - burden lightened

• Fit in a quickie after my shower - Joy multiplied

I fail to see the increase of duties and the loss of rights in my married life – but I know that isn’t true for everyone.

I know for ME – it was a lovely Sunday, same as many, and one that wouldn’t have been so joyful, fulfilling etc if I was going it alone.

Humans are social animals - sure some do well as loners. But the “single person apartment” is a modern invention. Historically humans lived closely with their family units, be that their parents and blood relatives, or their partners. I know I personally would not be as happy without that vital social interaction.

Someone to share my burdens and my joys with.

That was quite a post, RC! I always have admired how thoughtful your posts are. And yes, I do

• Sleep with late with guy I'm casually seeing and have some morning sex (one of the perks of staying over at someones place) - Joy multiplied

• He makes coffee - burden lightened

• I leave and do whatever I wanna do – still individuals free to do our own things and pursue our own interests.

• Call to see if he wants to Halloween costume shopping - Joy multiplied

• I come home and only have to cook what I want. Maybe grab some chipotle- burden (but I only have to consider myself). If I feel like having a guy over for dinner or baking him some cupcakes I can but don't have to (fulfillment) - Joy multiplied, We can eat together and enjoyed each other’s company, best part there is no obligation to- Joy multiplied.

• I do have to do my own dishes- burden. But if I'm cooking for him if then he can do them- burden lightened.

• Fall asleep in with my head on his lap, as he strokes my hair (ha, maybe his is a burden for him), for me? - Joy multiplied.

• We go to bed and he joins for some cuddles - Joy multiplied

• I woke up for work, rando guy has made fresh coffee - joy multiplied

• Quickie if in mood or I can just send him home- Joy multiplied

You are talking a pleasant day here, RC. There are hardships and burdens you have to put up with from your SO that far outweight doing the dishes for yourself dont you?

• Like 1

No the joys that he brings to my life FAR out weight any burden.

And we share LOVE something the causal dude can't offer, and is honestly one of the greatest joys on Earth.

And security, I am his partner, and he is mine. There is no wondering where he will be next week, wondering if he loves and supports me.

The causal guy - you can share a Sunday like ours, but it's fleeting. Easy come, easy go - and the deep interest and investment in each other's happiness isn't there.

We have an intimacy that has grown over the years, something that a fling would never have.

• Like 2
  • Author
Cookiesandough

Depends...if you get a casual guy really into you even if you don't feel the same, it's totally possible. But I am happy you have found a situation ideal for you. I think everyone is different. What matters is that they are in the happiest place they can be. At it appear by what you say that you are. :)

Maybe you will find a few of the benefits that this article lays out for committed relations interesting:

BE YOURSELF

One of the best advantages of being in a relationship is that you can be yourself around your partner. All of the awkward first dates and what-ifs are out of the question now. You can be as goofy as you like.

HAPPINESS

Do we even have to say it? Just being in a relationship makes people happy. Whenever you look at the face of the person you love deeply and passionately, certain areas of the brain are stimulated. There have been numerous studies on this.

REDUCED STRESS

One of the biggest hurdles for couples is the stress that a new relationship brings. On the other hand, when you’re in a committed relationship for a long time, stress levels can be significantly reduced.

ATTACHMENT

Do you often find yourself yearning for a fulfilling relationship where you each support each other deeply and care for each other infinitely? You’re not alone. Emotional security is desired by many of us. It’s due to the fact that this bond brings us great comfort.

Do you not struggle with these things?

For me, its kinda like trying to explain the color blue – if you have never seen blue, how can I describe a dazzling clear sky to you? Someday maybe you will see blue – but until then, we will be at a loss of words to describe its wonder and complexity.

Depends...if you get a casual guy really into you even if you don't feel the same, it's totally possible.

Thats not love or intimacy, thats having someone infatuated with you.

• Like 1
  • Author
Cookiesandough
Maybe you will find a few of the benefits that this article lays out for committed relations interesting:

Do you not struggle with these things?

For me, its kinda like trying to explain the color blue – if you have never seen blue, how can I describe a dazzling clear sky to you? Someday maybe you will see blue – but until then, we will be at a loss of words to describe its wonder and complexity.

Thats not love or intimacy, thats having someone infatuated with you.

I already have two people who give me all the emotional support, complete acceptance, and unconditional love a person could ask for: My mom and dad. I also have a couple friends who accept me absolutely. They got my back. So I can't say I yearn too much from that from a man. Would it be nice? Certainly. Would it be beneficial if taking the entire picture into account? I do not think so. I feel if I can compartmentalize things, I can maximize my self-interest. I can better achieve my goals.

I know I have people I can go to whenever I need emotional support, a hug, guidance. I know I can be myself 100% around them. So what am I missing. Let's see. What else do I need? Romance, desire, lust, oh yes sexual intimacy. Those sorts of things.

When relationships get deep and complex, those sorts of things automatically wane for me. There's less excitement monotony and routine sets in. Plus you're stuck. That right there takes the excitement away alone. It becomes an obligation, whether you view that as good or bad. There's too much investment to up,so you stay and you adjust accordingly on the hedonic treadmill. It's a psychological mechanism that behavioral economist Dan Ariely talks about in his book called Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions. This is why so many people want to stay in what seem like obviously unhappy relationships or marriages.

Does that make sense or is it still like trying to explain the color blue? It's different?

Edited by Cookiesandough
  • Like 3
littleblackheart

It's very possible to feel happiness, low stress and be yourself without being in a relationship.

It's cool that people feel being with someone else makes them better people - I don't need a partner for that, but having my children in my life makes me feel like a better person for sure. I'd have liked for things to work out with my exH because I don't really like change or disruption in my life but I really, really enjoy (and even need) being single.

There still needs some adjustement to be done for society to accept being single as a true, genuine choice for people instead single people being thought of as incapable of being in a relationship or being secretly lonely or in denial or having unresolved issues from past relationships.

It's possible to feel as content when single as when in a relationship.

• Like 1

personally I haven't been in a long term serious relationship in almost seven years. I don't miss it one bit.

• Like 1

As someone who has experienced both, I'll tell you what you miss if you are not in a LTR. It is not what you listed: Romance, desire, lust, oh yes sexual intimacy - this you can all get from a casual partner, much more than from a LTR partner (first stages come with most sex/lust in most cases). And here people rip me for this statement but sexual life can be good without any partner if one knows how body works ;) BUT you miss:

1) Social acceptance. Peer pressure is a huge factor in most people's lives, although nobody likes to admit it. There are families and cultures where getting married is considered the biggest event/accomplishment in one's life. Or especially for the women: having a family. Many people consider childless women incomplete and selfish, of course not many people with good social skills say it out loud

2) Security. Most people are NOT risk takers. They consider a 'secured' (in their mind) live-in BF/GF/husband/wife as a secure source of something (something differs for different people: sex, money, company, life assistant, activity partner, coparent are the few that immediately comes to mind). Even if fake, this sense of security improves one's quality of life - one less moving part.

3) Habit. People are habitual creatures and change increases stress/discomfort. Once settled into weekday/weekend routines, people *feel* more free, although technically it is other way round, because there are less moving parts in their day, near and long term future. Breaking habit, not breaking a connection, IMO is what devastates people most during divorce/separation.

I think in one point or another everyone will experience in their lifetime a strong urge for one of the above, on conscious or subconscious level. THat's why paired people are usually, in the broad sense, feeling less stressed/more accomplished than single people.

I already have two people who give me all the emotional support, complete acceptance, and unconditional love a person could ask for: My mom and dad. I also have a couple friends who accept me absolutely. They got my back. So I can't say I yearn too much from that from a man. Would it be nice? Certainly. Would it be beneficial if taking the entire picture into account? I do not think so. I feel if I can compartmentalize things, I can maximize my self-interest. I can better achieve my goals.

I know I have people I can go to whenever I need emotional support, a hug, guidance. I know I can be myself 100% around them. So what am I missing. Let's see. What else do I need? Romance, desire, lust, oh yes sexual intimacy. Those sorts of things.

When relationships get deep and complex, those sorts of things automatically wane for me. There's less excitement monotony and routine sets in. Plus you're stuck. That right there takes the excitement away alone. It becomes an obligation, whether you view that as good or bad. There's too much investment to up,so you stay and you adjust accordingly on the hedonic treadmill. It's a psychological mechanism that behavioral economist Dan Ariely talks about in his book called Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions. This is why so many people want to stay in what seem like obviously unhappy relationships or marriages.

Does that make sense or is it still like trying to explain the color blue? It's different?

• Like 1

I think that people of both genders have become so bombarded by negative stories about marriage that many of us have become very cynical about it. The numbers might say something different but it seems like an institution in decline.

No.. this has nothing to do with negative stories or whats on the news or MGTOW or WGTOW or gender wars.

again I will quote my self.

I clearly stated and agree there is no depute that educated couples have longer or lasting marriages. My point is the more educated and career driven a woman becomes, the harder it will be for her to find a mate.

I never disputed educated partners do not have longer lasting marriages. This has really never changed.

What is to be disputed is that educated and career driven women on average marry easier is an absolute false. Longer and easier are two different words. There are women on this very forum who cannot find a man of equal salary and education. This is due to the active push to put women in education.. while throttling back on male incentives creating an unbalance.

https://i2.wp.com/www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/smmchart1.png?w=768&crop=0%2C0px%2C100%2C9999px&ssl=1

The data shows less educated women are not getting married while at the same time marriage is on the down hill as well.

For the last 40 years there has been no drastic change in women with a bachelors degree staying in a marriage. Its actually been fairly stable for decades. Everyone other woman has tanked into the abyss of not wanting to wed.

In the black community, educated black women cannot find men because there are less black men who have a degree. A black man with a degree would have to share 7 black women to have two educated individuals married together. While the marriage will last longer that does that mean they marry faster it is actually harder.

Among young, never-married blacks, women outnumber men. For blacks ages 25 to 34, there are 92 never-married men for every 100 never-married women. When employment status is taken into consideration, there are 51 employed young black men for every 100 young black women.

Logically, if more women in the united stated are getting degrees. It will increasing become harder to find a man unless she lowers her standards. Im not understand how you can not correlate the two.

If you have 10 women with a degree and 10 men and 2 of the men have a degree and high paying jobs.. but all of them were equally good looking and so-on. Naturally, most of the women would crave for the man with a degree because of biology. It shows he is able to maintain the "the nest" if you have kids he can support you and yada yada yada. being educated does not typically attract males, if anything it repels them. Only when she is good looking and educated do men naturally become attract.

oh well looky here, what is happening in Australia?

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/f2d37710d75c404c05a5f545b9aa35d5?width=1024

The higher her education and the further she tries to push her career before marriage or finding mate the further she pusher her self in an area were less men are available making it harder, not easier. NO amount of education or money will make "men" collectively more attractive to you..

This is the United states

age 24-34

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/54e5031eeab8eaea66f8ab60-1200-1000/singles-map-20150120_page_03.jpg

age 34-45

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/54e5035cecad049a01cfe5df-1200-1000/singles-map-20150120_page_04.jpg

age 45 and up

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/54e503ef6da81131672d7d34-1200-1000/singles-map-20150120_page_05.jpg

You can easily see that after 34 women massively start to outnumber single men

Now this is just single men vs single women.

we have not added that the average millennial women typicallyfinds 80% of males below average.

This does not account that more women are college educated and millions more are entering college than men.

Last year, 29.9% of men had a bachelor’s degree, while 30.2% of women did, the bureau reports. A decade prior, in 2005, 28.5% of men had bachelor’s degree, while only 26% of women did.

We have not include the men tapering to the age of 36 who will not marry. Men do not wake up at the age of 36 and go well... times up!

This is exactly why the marriage rates is dropping. I don't buy the poor and low income narrative for marriage. Women have been marrying personally being low income and lower education since forever...actually women have it easier than they ever had before. Getting married can actually be easier on the wallet and is a tax incentive.

Now this is an assumption and my opinion, but I see a problem. Society has pedestal women so much that the less educated women are hanging on the coat tails of the educated women. So they too are waiting for Mr. perfect.

China has 33 million more men than women and women are having a hard time finding a man.. 33 million more men.. are you serious... :lmao:

It because these women have a career and will not settle for less. The government has coin these women as left-over women even though the men out number them.

Among never-married young adults with post-graduate degrees, women outnumber men by a large margin. There are 77 never-married men ages 25 to 34 with post-graduate degrees for every 100 women with similar educational credentials. Among never-married young adults with a bachelor’s degree, the male-to-female ratio is 102 men for every 100 women.

Look.. you can believe what ever you want lol.

Every western country is experiencing the same thing..

Studies show women's happiness has dropped in the united states since the 1960.

Divorce is rising and marriage is dropping and I still have not seen one post that say why marriage is appealing lol:lmao:

• Like 2
thefooloftheyear

A sense a lot of "sour grapes" from the people saying it sucks.....Oh, and it can absolutely suck, for sure.....BUT....

It's kind of like a job or career....

If you are just working for a living, then it will truly suck...You will be tired, miserable, whatever....And you may feel "trapped" because you need to pay your bills and feel your options are limited...Similar to how some marriages and LTR's can be...People are often trapped and miserable for a variety of reasons..They've all been discussed ad nauseum..

But if you find a career or job that you are truly passionate about, then all of the things that would have made you miserable just vanish...Your whole outlook on life and what you are doing changes...Sure, there will be challenges, but it becomes worth working through and fighting for...

Like the dream job/career, these types of relationships are rare and elusive...But when it's right, it can be pretty damned good...:)

TFY

• Like 3