Men don't care if women have common interests/interesting hobbies, do they?

JuneJulySeptember
Two of the hobbies that the SO and I share (gaming and sci-fi) are somewhat male-dominated, so I wouldn't really assume that all women are the same. That being said, I haven't found that women have had any fewer interests than men do, although married women do seem to have less time to spend on their interests than the men, since housework allocation is not really 50/50 yet.

If you really must go by generalizations, the common hobbies that I've found more prevalent among women than among men are travel, baking, food, reading, beauty, and art. If you think that any of those "aren't really hobbies", your definition of hobbies is too narrow. ;)

But yeah. People are all individuals and plenty of men and women have shared hobbies. That's a big part of how individuals find each other.

Well. Also, when people have kids, their whole 'hobbies' life completely dies. At least for my friends. All of a sudden, it's "make $" and "spend time with kids" and nothing else matters.

Reading is a hobby that some women I know have, yes.

• Like 1
Well. Also, when people have kids, their whole 'hobbies' life completely dies. At least for my friends. All of a sudden, it's "make $" and "spend time with kids" and nothing else matters.

Sure, kids take a LOT of time. It's just part of the equation... That's why some couples choose not to have kids.

I've recently come to the conclusion that men do not CARE about whether women have common interests with them, or interesting hobbies on their own as a person, in order to be interested in the woman.

Example: Recently I was with a group of friends, and was talking to the young girlfriend of a guy I know well. The more I talked to her, the more it became obvious how few interests/hobbies they share--ranging from not liking animals (he loves them), to not being able to indulge in strenuous physical activities (this is one of my maniac friends--who is more outdoorsy than most of my friends), to not liking beer (he's a big craft beer fan).

In my own life, in my last break up, my ex boyfriend and I had many common interests and hobbies. Which made for having a great running and climbing partner, and someone who liked to try out the same recipes and movies I did, yet that wasn't enough to not get dumped for greener pastures.

Is my hypothesis correct--men, do you really not care if the women you date have similar interests and hobbies to yours? Is how she looks/makes you feel at the time truly the only two things that matter?

This is a great question. I don't think there is a simple answer though. I know for me, I would LOVE to have a girlfriend who has many of the same geeky interests as I do, but it has rarely been the case. I like a lot of nerdy ***** that even many guys aren't into - I'm really into daily fantasy sports (FanDuel), hard core science fiction, and esoteric board games. Looking for a girlfriend who is into stuff like that would be like finding a purple unicorn. I don't even bother. I've found many guy friends who share the same passions and we indulge in that stuff when I see them. For a girlfriend, I'm looking to do completely different things. Travel, dine together, hike, binge watch Netflix. I can't imagine doing those things with a dude... And yes looks and sexual attraction are immensely important. If I enjoy doing all those things with her because I'm lusting after her, yes that trumps having hobbies in common. I have guy friends for that so I'm not looking for that in my girlfriend...