Tired of interviewing and getting no offers

seems like it might be more important to focus on yourself and bringing about a better attitude to the situation. If you don't need the job immediately maybe take a little time to do things you like or focus on your mental and physical health. You'll feel a lot better and will be more prepared for the job hunt.

• Author
There are not stupid interview questions, just those who do not understand why they are being asked them. The latter groups rarely gets hired.

Oh, there are definitely stupid interview questions, let's not kid ourselves. Sometimes I think the interviewer doesn't even know why they're asking a certain question. I got one question in an interview recently, "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Dumb question. Maybe there's some PC answer to that, but I wasn't having that. I said life is unpredictable and I had no idea where I'd be in five years and that if anybody answered that question any other way they were either lying or guessing.

Edited by Redguitar35
I said life is unpredictable and I had no idea where I'd be in five years and that if anybody answered that question any other way they were either lying or guessing.

See, the snarky condescension in this answer is why you are having trouble.

• Like 3
  • Author
See, the snarky condescension in this answer is why you are having trouble.

I don't agree. I think nepotism is the biggest reason I'm not getting hired. People are hiring their friends, husbands and wives for jobs instead of qualified applicants. If having a solid resume and interviewing well are what mattered, I wouldn't have gone on 5 or 6 interviews without any offers.

• Author

I did do one interview this week, got invited to another interview yesterday but turned that down because I'm tired of interviewing.

I did do one interview this week, got invited to another interview yesterday but turned that down because I'm tired of interviewing.

So you want to stop interviewing by getting an offer but you refused the next step in the process?

Seems like you are shooting yourself in the foot.

• Like 1

Obviously whatever occupational area or industry for the work you're applying and interviewing for, isn't benefiting you.

You're either not suited for the role at all, or they have better candidates. That's bloody life, if you're looking to get recruited by a somewhat decent employer, you're going to have to provide them with enough evidence that you're suitable for the job and have a certain willingness to progress forward from the initial interview or when your application was made. Some candidates will be better and they'll have the advantage, other times you'll have the advantage.

Maybe try applying for a different area of work. Branch out, explore your horizons.

Asking where do you see yourself in 5 years is just a way of asking you what your goals are. It's a very common question and you answered it poorly. If everyone just wanted to hire their friends and family then they wouldn't bother interviewing you and most of us wouldn't have jobs.

• Like 1
  • Author

Where I work 90% of the people employed there got hired because they had some sort of personal relationship with the boss prior to applying for the job. It's pretty sad to watch all these candidates come in to interview knowing full well she already has someone in mind for the job.

We just hired a studio manager who surprise happens to be married to one of the bosses friends who is also the mother of one of her employees. My own supervisor got hired because she had a lunch meeting with the boss where it was agreed that she would be selected for a position that hadn't even been created yet.

There's almost ZERO chance of getting a good job in this country without having inside connections, unfortunately. I might as well give up this job search.

• Author
Asking where do you see yourself in 5 years is just a way of asking you what your goals are.

They could care less about my goals. It's a question that has no relation to the candidate's ability to do the job.