Tired of interviewing and getting no offers

• Author
Redguitar35
Some people lie on their resumes. Having a face to face conversation which goes over what is in the resume would be partially about attempting to weed them out. Also partially about engaging in conversation about those qualifications.

Unless you have exceptional deception skills, getting cranky about employers doing their due diligence would be showing through in your interview. And it will stop you getting a job.

If they want to see who's qualified for the position fine, but for God's sake show some familiarity with the candidate's resume before you start throwing questions at him. Don't ask them if they've ever taken college classes when their resume clearly states they have a masters degree. C'mon.

• Author
Redguitar35
Shrug...I don't always get the job i WANT right off the bat, but I can always find SOME job. It's not because I am a wiz at every skill and non-skill. It's because I have PEOPLE skills, know how to get along with people, and don't have a chip on my shoulder. I'm a team player even if I don't personally always like everyone on a team.

AND I take care of my side of the street. What other people are paid or what they do or don't have to do is none of my business. My business is to do MY job.

I'm not a victim, and I have emotional intelligence.

These are the things you are missing, OP. They just are.

Many of my coworkers have been helping me with my resume and application materials and have expressed to me that they don't think my pay is fair either.

I've done my job at this organization for years and the employer is demonstrating their appreciation of it by refusing to give me a salary increase and hiring on convicted criminals for better pay. They would rather buy bad sandwiches for the staff than pay me a decent salary. Any company that has any interest in retaining their talent and reducing turnover should be treating their employees a lot better than I have been treated at this company.

I'm not just complaining, I am voting with my feet by applying for work elsewhere and doing what is necessary to separate myself from that organization. I'm sorry you don't respect that.

Edited by Redguitar35
I've been on some interviews where it seemed like the hiring manager hadn't even read my resume. All the answers to their questions about my qualifications were right in there if they bothered to look.

You do know that one of the purposes of an interview is to discuss your quals and background don't you?

This is completely normal practice for an employer to not 'go through' a resume.

They want to hear it all from you, in your words, not from a piece of paper that someone might have helped you with.

If they want to see who's qualified for the position fine, but for God's sake show some familiarity with the candidate's resume before you start throwing questions at him. Don't ask them if they've ever taken college classes when their resume clearly states they have a masters degree. C'mon.

You sound bitter, and I am sure this is coming off in person. Perhaps rolling your eyes when asked a question to which they should already know the answer?

At my current job they threw a guy in to interview me (after 3 others) and he stated "They just handed me your resume 5 minutes ago so I haven't had a chance to read it". They could also be verifying to make sure your resume isn't a bunch of BS. The other possibility is the person is a lazy idiot. Doesn't matter. You have to get them to like you and trust you. It's all about making a connection.

I recall this one idiot who got a job because her and the interviewer were wearing the same shoes. She ultimately got fired because she was awful. But the connection she made was what got her in.

You can't take any of this personally. I have had offers from hiring managers given to me that ended up turning into "Sorry, we just entered a hiring freeze. Feel free to apply again" statement by HR.

I would lose the reason for leaving as looking for more money. It comes off as crass. This is the time to word smith - not give blunt honesty.

Jobs are hard to come by depending on your area / profession. There are a TON of people looking for work and some may come across better in an interview than you.

You are bitter about your job and bitter about the process of interviewing. This has to be coming through in your presentation.

Treat every interview like a first date. You don't owe each other anything but you can gain experience from it regardless of the outcome.

• Like 2
  • Author
Redguitar35
You sound bitter, and I am sure this is coming off in person. Perhaps rolling your eyes when asked a question to which they should already know the answer?

At my current job they threw a guy in to interview me (after 3 others) and he stated "They just handed me your resume 5 minutes ago so I haven't had a chance to read it".

That would annoy me greatly. That was very unprofessional of them. Sounds like it was amateur night at that company.

I will give you a story about how bitterness can negatively affect one's outcomes.

A number of years ago, I organised a small rally on what turned out to be a wet, wintery day. We blocked off a small street which happened to have a cafe on each corner of the entry. One cafe owner was furious at us for impeding the flow of customers. The other cafe owner got a coffee machine, put it on a trolley and wheeled it outside to be at the back of the rally. He had cakes too. I can't begin to tell you how much success the positive guy had on that day. The negative cafe owner shut down his business about six months later.

The same thing happened to both owners, but they had very different outcomes. The only difference was that one treated our rally as an opportunity and the other treated it like a hindrance.

Life is 5% of what happens and 95% of how you react to it. Change your reactions and your outcomes will change.

• Like 3

Life is 5% of what happens and 95% of how you react to it. Change your reactions and your outcomes will change.

Humpf... nice phrase...

• Like 1

Re-posted for emphasis

• Like 2
  • Author
Redguitar35

I'm not sure bitter is the word I would use. More tired and frustrated. My employer has been behaving in ways very few people would tolerate without some frustration. The refusal to do a salary increase first off. Now a few people are about to retire so the manager has talked a little about shifting some of their responsibilities to other current employees and rewriting their job descriptions. If they come at me with that I'm going to tell them I'm not going to cooperate with any changes to my job description unless there's a pay increase involved. And if they fire me, I'll sue 'em.

And if they fire me, I'll sue 'em.

You do know what at-will employment means ?

Unless the firing is illegal they can fire you for any reason at any time unless you have a contract.

I would think you telling them you are not going to cooperate with changes to your job description without a pay increase would entitle them to fire you with cause and you would not be able to sue...

• Like 1
  • Author
Redguitar35
You do know what at-will employment means ?

Unless the firing is illegal they can fire you for any reason at any time unless you have a contract.

I would think you telling them you are not going to cooperate with changes to your job description without a pay increase would entitle them to fire you with cause and you would not be able to sue...

We're public employees with particular due process rights. I don't think they'd try it.

Edited by Redguitar35
We're public employees with particular due process rights. I don't think they'd try it.

You would be fired for cause.. being a public employee doesn't grant you more rights or less rights than non public sector employees.. you think you can justify being insubordinate with that you might think again or find yourself in the unemployment line :)

• Like 1
  • Author
Redguitar35
You would be fired for cause.. being a public employee doesn't grant you more rights or less rights than non public sector employees..

It does. There's a whole series of protections are put in place to prevent them from being fired for political and other frivolous reasons. You need to brush up on Human Resources management. Especially since you're a employer who thinks this sort of unethical behavior is perfectly acceptable. :)

Edited by Redguitar35
It does. There's a whole series of protections are put in place to prevent them from being fired for political and other frivolous reasons. You need to brush up on Human Resources management. Especially since you're a employer who thinks this sort of unethical behavior is perfectly acceptable. :)

It's not unethical to fire someone for cause.. you have to do your job or get fired.. if they change your job you still do your job or get fired..

If you aren't happy you leave, you need to feel valued as an employee and that is where your power is, take your wares elsewhere if they don't treat you right.. but to sue somebody because you are not doing your job and you get fired is just a waste of time..

If being a government employee affords you rights to not do your job and not get fired for it then you are the lucky one..

• Like 1

Would a union or the government pay for this hypothetical lawsuit? You already said in another thread that money is tight because your boss isn't paying you a fair wage. If you were fired for insubordination, would it be wise to fight a costly lawsuit or just put all your energy into getting another job (a job where you're valued, paid fairly, and can use your skills)?

• Like 1

We are hiring at the lab...and let me tell you..they offered you the lower tier job for any number of reasons, but certainly not to insult you. Noone has time for a new employee that is salty about having to work with someone they'd rather not.

IndigoNight

My father always told me that when I didn't have a job, that finding a job was my job. He expected me to put in a full days worth of effort, and accepted no excuses.

There were periods of time (months on end) that I would put in dozens of resumes, and never get a single interview. Other times I would get interviewed for every resume I submitted. My self esteem took some major blows as each rejection took its toll on me. On several rare occasions, I submitted my resume, and the hiring manager happened to have time to interview me on the spot, and I got hired. They were far and few between.

My son is currently looking for work, and is dealing with many of the same things I went through over 20 years ago. I just keep telling him to keep at it, and something will work out. It's all anyone can really do.

Best of luck to anyone trying to find a job. I hope things work out for you, soon.

• Like 1

You need to brush up on emotional intelligence. I have worked in the govt sector and the non-profit sector. You are dead wrong. I'm actually surprised you even have a job. Your attitude is just about the most infantile and negative I have ever seen.

• Like 1
GorillaTheater

I've had a hand in terminating tenured professors. There's no immunity if you screw up badly or often enough. It gets to the point where employers are happy to jump through the necessary hoops to rid themselves of an anchor.

• Like 2

My husband is a government worker. There is a new accountability act passed by President Trump. (Not sure it's a statute but it is currently the law). Anyway, it allows government agencies to terminate workers much more easily, like in the private sector. As somebody who is working to get rid of the deadweight in his agency my husband is thrilled. He has already terminated 4 people this year & somebody else was getting a PIP today.

• Like 2
some_username1
My husband is a government worker. There is a new accountability act passed by President Trump. (Not sure it's a statute but it is currently the law). Anyway, it allows government agencies to terminate workers much more easily, like in the private sector. As somebody who is working to get rid of the deadweight in his agency my husband is thrilled. He has already terminated 4 people this year & somebody else was getting a PIP today.

I hope your husband retains a sense of 'there but for the grace of God go I' about this. Unemployment destroys lives and no-one should be "thrilled" about taking someone's livelihood away from them (for who knows how long) no matter how poorly they are performing.

• Like 1
I hope your husband retains a sense of 'there but for the grace of God go I' about this. Unemployment destroys lives and no-one should be "thrilled" about taking someone's livelihood away from them (for who knows how long) no matter how poorly they are performing.

Not he's not thrilled about firing anybody. He agonizes over it. It also tries really hard to get people reassigned to jobs they can do with the skills they have.

He's "thrilled" that he doesn't have to go through 7 layers & have the process take 1-2 years while productivity & morale stuffer.

I interpreted this post differently to you. I think it's more about being thrilled to have the freedom to finally get the business running more efficiently. To release the other coworkers from having to carry the dead wood.

• Like 1
  • Author
Redguitar35
My husband is a government worker. There is a new accountability act passed by President Trump.

What would he know about accountability. He spent the last forty years getting away with fraud. He was a low-life before he ran for president, and still is. That's all I've got to say on that.

Edited by Redguitar35
Spelling.
some_username1
I interpreted this post differently to you. I think it's more about being thrilled to have the freedom to finally get the business running more efficiently. To release the other coworkers from having to carry the dead wood.

To me the context is immaterial, I find the word thrilled a poor choice of words when used in conjunction with people losing jobs. I speak from.bitter experience as someone who was made reundant and had my life turned upside down- I walked away with a pittance after 5 years of service, was forced to move city because I couldn't afford to live in the one I was based in, lost all my confidence after numerous failed job applicatuons and lived a stressful hand to mouth existence where the cost of housing and food every month was greater than what the state was giving me to live on.

There are human lives behind every firing and it is wise to remember that it could be any one of us on the end of it if it seems like a good strategic move for the company.