Tired of interviewing and getting no offers

• Author

Two weeks since the interview and I've heard nothing, although the job listing is still open, and I haven't received the company's standard "you've been eliminated" email. They said they'd be out of the office for one week for a trade show, but here we are the week after that and no news.

I know one should never put all their eggs in one basket and I have been applying for other jobs since then. But I would at least like to know what's going on rather than have it hanging out there, and I'm going on a trip for my current employer in about a week. Companies can be such jerks about this.Would it be a good idea to ask them where they are in the hiring process?

Edited by Redguitar35
WaitingForBardot

My normal followup was to wait one week, then send an email thanking them (again) for taking the time to interview me and letting them know I was still interested in the position. Since you knew they would be at a trade show I'd give them a week after returning (it takes time to catch up and hiring is usually not an immediate priority while doing so) and then send the email.

Even if they don't respond it doesn't take much effort to send a polite email reminding someone of your interest; I'd do it.

• Like 1
  • Author
My normal followup was to wait one week, then send an email thanking them (again) for taking the time to interview me and letting them know I was still interested in the position. Since you knew they would be at a trade show I'd give them a week after returning (it takes time to catch up and hiring is usually not an immediate priority while doing so) and then send the email.

Even if they don't respond it doesn't take much effort to send a polite email reminding someone of your interest; I'd do it.

Did you ever get a job offer after following up?

Did you send a snail mail thank you note after the interview? That is the best follow up. If not, send one. If you did, go ahead & call, unless it's a really big company in which case, they just don't know.

• Author
Did you send a snail mail thank you note after the interview? That is the best follow up. If not, send one. If you did, go ahead & call, unless it's a really big company in which case, they just don't know.

I sent a thank you email a few hours after the interview, which I don't normally do. One of the hiring manager replied that day just saying they enjoyed meeting me as well and referenced some humorous exchange we had during the meeting.

Yeah, I sent a thank you email a few hours after the interview, which I don't normally do.

I'd do a follow up email.. it isn't like you are bothering them by sending multiple emails, the job is still open and you did not get turned down.. so email away and ask about the status.

• Like 1

IME, follow up emails show the desire of wanting the job...

If someone doesn't send me a follow up email I would think they felt we are not a fit... hiring goes both ways.. the person being hired is also checking out the employer and looking for a good fit too..

• Author

Yeah, I've been applying for other positions and have an interview with another company lined up next week, but I thought this one would be a good fit. Short drive from my house, good atmosphere, etc.

WaitingForBardot
Did you ever get a job offer after following up?

I have, but I can't say that following up affected their decision to hire me. They were just very slow getting the offer out.

That should not be read as advising to not follow up. Following up is something IMO you should always do.

• Author
I have, but I can't say that following up affected their decision to hire me. They were just very slow getting the offer out.

That should not be read as advising to not follow up. Following up is something IMO you should always do.

I was just wondering if their radio silence is a reflection of their lack of interest. One time I sent a follow up and the hiring manager told me they'd already made someone an offer.

Another time, a hiring manager just said they were "considering their options." Uh, thanks :confused:

WaitingForBardot
I was just wondering if their radio silence is a reflection of their lack of interest. One time I sent a follow up and the hiring manager told me they'd already made someone an offer.

Another time, a hiring manager just said they were "considering their options." Uh, thanks :confused:

I do think no contact generally means a lack of interest, but sometimes they may be busy. Perhaps you're in their list of finalists, but they've made an offer to someone else for now. It takes time for the other candidate to accept or not, and they don't want to keep stringing you along with maybes. Like I said before though, I would email and just keep looking

if I were in your shoes.

And I have known managers that simply did not call at all when they rejected a candidate. They hated having those conversations, but personally I think it was lazy and unprofessional on their part to not let people know. And I always did it by phone; I think the email route is again lazy when you're talking about someone you actually brought in to interview and have met face-to-face.

• Author
I do think no contact generally means a lack of interest, but sometimes they may be busy. Perhaps you're in their list of finalists, but they've made an offer to someone else for now. It takes time for the other candidate to accept or not, and they don't want to keep stringing you along with maybes. Like I said before though, I would email and just keep looking

if I were in your shoes.

And I have known managers that simply did not call at all when they rejected a candidate. They hated having those conversations, but personally I think it was lazy and unprofessional on their part to not let people know. And I always did it by phone; I think the email route is again lazy when you're talking about someone you actually brought in to interview and have met face-to-face.

That's really passive aggressive that a hiring manager wouldn't bother to notify the rejected applicants that took the time to come in and interview.

At end of interview, I ask "When would be a good time to follow up?" Then I do that. And sometimes I would also just send a thank you for the interview, I'm very interested email later that day or the following day, too.

• Like 1
  • Author

I've been invited to interview for another job next week but now I'm leaning towards canceling. Ive done many interviews the last several months and I feel like I don't want to subject myself to the horrible process of interviewing with some stranger, following up, getting rejected and repeating. I'm too frustrated and disillusioned with it. It gets harder and harder to go into an interview and fake enthusiasm and I want to be done with it.

Go on that interview because you already scheduled it. Then don't accept any more for a while. You probably do need a break.

• Like 2
I've been invited to interview for another job next week but now I'm leaning towards canceling. Ive done many interviews the last several months and I feel like I don't want to subject myself to the horrible process of interviewing with some stranger, following up, getting rejected and repeating. I'm too frustrated and disillusioned with it. It gets harder and harder to go into an interview and fake enthusiasm and I want to be done with it.

If you're not actually enthusiastic about the job why are you applying? I'm guessing your lack of enthusiasm is evident to the people you're interviewing with, hence why you're not successful in securing a position.

• Like 1
  • Author
If you're not actually enthusiastic about the job why are you applying? I'm guessing your lack of enthusiasm is evident to the people you're interviewing with, hence why you're not successful in securing a position.

My lack of enthusiasm, if you bother to read my post, has to do with the endless annoyance and inconvenience of interviewing. Who cares where I see myself in 5 years? I've been enthusiastic about the job in the past, but not the interview process. Who can maintain enthusiasm after interviewing for several jobs and not getting hired?

• Author

No response to the follow up as yet. That doesn't tell me one way or the other. I don't see what harm it could be to inform the candidate whether he's in or out. I would personally rather be told that I'm no longer under consideration than be kept in the dark. It's disgusting when employers play these games.

Edited by Redguitar35
No response to the follow up as yet. .

You sent a message on a Friday in the summer. You don't even known the person got it. Maybe they took the day off for a long weekend.

Simmer down. See if somebody gets back to you by Tuesday

My lack of enthusiasm, if you bother to read my post, has to do with the endless annoyance and inconvenience of interviewing. Who cares where I see myself in 5 years? I've been enthusiastic about the job in the past, but not the interview process. Who can maintain enthusiasm after interviewing for several jobs and not getting hired?

There is absolutely no point in you interviewing then, your annoyance and frustration is preventing you from getting the job.

• Like 1
  • Author
You sent a message on a Friday in the summer. You don't even known the person got it. Maybe they took the day off for a long weekend.

Simmer down. See if somebody gets back to you by Tuesday

The hiring manager wrote back and he just said he'll close the job listing next week and then decide who's best for a second interview. That would be three weeks after my initial interview. Doesn't seem as though he's impressed enough at this point, so I guess I'll move on. :(

The hiring manager wrote back and he just said he'll close the job listing next week and then decide who's best for a second interview. That would be three weeks after my initial interview. Doesn't seem as though he's impressed enough at this point, so I guess I'll move on. :(

If he wasn't considering you at all he wouldn't even communicate with you. Hiring can take very long time at a larger company. At the last job I formally applied for I was candidate number 71. Don't assume that there is just one candidate that everybody cheers for. Even so, you can still make the cut.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

One of my references informed me that she was contacted for a reference. When I followed up with the hiring manager last week they mentioned a second interview but why would they wanna check references for just an interview? ? Maybe they're thinking about going ahead and making an offer?

Many interviewers ask questions like that to asses you. They get hundreds of resumes from qualified people but want to know about you. Those are standard questions. I had a job that asked me why are manhole covers round and similar questions. They did not care about my answer. They cared about my ability to think and logically find an answer. You would be surprised at how many people, when asked about their former bosses, will say nasty stuff about them. You want someone who says that their last boss was a mentor and that you learned a lot from him or her. I had to take a handwriting analysis test for one company and an IQ test for another. I aced the handwriting analysis test because I learned about it and knew what they were going to look for. Same as some questions asked to find out if you are an alpha personality or not. Questions that reveal your ability to work with others and lead them. There are not stupid interview questions, just those who do not understand why they are being asked them. The latter groups rarely gets hired.

Learning how to interview is a skill. One that I mastered and got me every single job I interviewed for and I have had about 10 jobs over a 45 year period. Most were within the first 20 years. The best skill you can have it to sell yourself. Then always be looking for a better job. As soon as I got a new job I would update my resume and send it out or post it online. I did get a high paying job like that twice. I was once considered one of the top two experts in my field worldwide. I consulted to governments. I was not the top expert though. I was just the guy that they knew about. The others did not know how to market themselves so while I made the big bucks and got the fame, they just did their job and were afraid to leave it.

• Like 1