So this girl on Bumble asked for my last name...

SevenCity

I don't live at home I OWN the home. I rent out a spare room. Why would that effect my long term potential?

hamsterhouse

You know what? This happened to me a couple of weeks ago as well. I matched with a girl and we talked for a couple of days in-app. She seemed totally legitimate and I wasn't suspicious of anything. Eventually she asked, "What's your last name," then proceeded to say something like "I want to give you my number so I can stop using this app and I want to make sure you aren't committing identify fraud." I found it strange but not suspicious, and I shared this with a couple of friends who agreed. So, I sent her a link to my Facebook profile to which she responded, "well, you seem to be a real person" and gave me her number. We texted for a few days and it was very engaging. I know her job, where she went to school, certain events she was up to that weekend, etc. Also, within this time I also found her on Facebook and can confirm that she was a real person.

She texted me a few "check-ins," asking me how my day was, etc. We agreed to meet for coffee a few days later and she seemed excited to meet me, but a couple of days beforehand we didn't speak, and the next day I texted her saying "See you tomorrow!" She responded, "actually, I don't think I'd like to do that anymore." I said a polite farewell and haven't heard from her since.

I think sometimes you might have to worry about catfishing, but there comes a point where you know enough details about the person that it allows you to make an educated guess. Sometimes people are just overly cautious, and I can't blame them.

• Author
I don't live at home I OWN the home. I rent out a spare room. Why would that effect my long term potential?

I know you own the home. My example was how it WOULD NOT matter to a guy short term. Let me provide an example:

Initial Interaction

Girl: "I live with 3 roommates"

Guy: She's hot. I don't care if she lived on the street

Initial Interaction:

Guy: "I live with 3 roommates"

Girl: Although he's attractive, I don't know if he is responsible enough at his age. Shouldn't he have a place of his own? How come he never invested in a house? Is he irresponsible? Where are we going to hang out when we are not going out? Do I have to worry about roommates walking in when we are having sex? Is he broke? How can we afford to have children?

Long term:

Girl: "I live with 3 roommates"

Guy: I wonder if she makes a lot less money than I do. If we were to get married and divorced she would take me to the cleaners.

Point is, women often look for stability / security with a guy. Men do not start out thinking that - for the most part we don't care. Men are visual creatures and we are more concerned about looks / attraction than a girl's finances.

• Like 2

I can see both sides

The way she asked and the context of the convo was fishy

I could see if she asked your last name and offered to share her own...that would be fine

But I think I remember you asked her a question and she followed it up with asking you for your last name out of the blue....I dont like that

As long as a woman is communicating in a respectful, open manner then I think asking for a last name is fine

This woman just didnt seem right