Why do you believe in God, Jesus, or an afterlife?

I've just read this on another site:

Not a hospital story, but told to me by my mum. She used to work at a photographers, when she was in her late teens or early 20's, so this would be around 1924. A young woman came in to have her photos taken, but when they were developed, something had gone wrong, as another woman was in all the pics, standing just behing the girl. When she came in to look at the proofs, they were very apologetic, showed her the photos and told her that they would do a retake.

"Oh no! That's my mum! She died six months ago, and we don't have any photos of her!"

Found here.

This is the sort of thing that helps me to believe in something more, although I'm still missing my mum. That's only getting worse, every day.

• Like 2
  • Author
I believe we can't ever know until we experience it. I believe that is the wonder that lies beyond. We can't ever know or prove its existence.

But the bigger question is does it really matter? Let's say we didn't, what's so bad about that? There'd be nothing to worry about. Besides, why can't we just live like there's not one. I don't mean by evil or incredible selfish, but why can't we be satisfied with being happy today?

Don't worry when the rides going to end or if they're be another chance to take a spin; just accept we'll only ever know what this ride is like so enjoy each second. Nothing lasts forever; we all will have to say good-bye to those we love. Now is the time to build the bonds that will hopefully transcend space and time.

We don't own life; we're only tenants. Our matter and energy are part of the universe. Why can't we continue on after we've been evicted?

For some reason, I feel that if there is no afterlife, this life is pointless.

• Like 1
  • Author
I've just read this on another site:

Found here.

This is the sort of thing that helps me to believe in something more, although I'm still missing my mum. That's only getting worse, every day.

Extra hugs to you. I don't know how I will cope when my mom dies one day. Especially since I have no children of my own.

I have this question bugging me for quite a while now. I am suffering existential depression and I was suicidal for a while. I wish to go back to being a kid or just being naive, where it's easy to believe in angels and santa clause. When I found out that they don't exist, at least we have God and Jesus.

Now there's this huge possibility that they do not exist as well. That was shattering.

Looking back I have a lot of questions:

1.) Why did God let people be homeless, hungry and alone?

2.) Why is God letting ISIS kill innocent people?

3.) Why is God letting injustice reign?

4.) Why is God silent in our prayers?

5.) Why did He let many children become orphans or grow from broken families?

etc. etc.

If you look at the world we live in, if you really look into the society we have now, terrible is an understatement. My mother worked to fend for her family and for us since she was 16. She's a catholic, she's 51 now and she got cheated on, abused by her family, been duped by many people financially, and now she's still working her ass off so that she can live comfortably (on top of my support for her) I have been praying to God time and time again, to change our lives, to help me or her to get an opportunity so that at least she can live her life happily just for once.

And I see Justin Bieber or some celebrity who just happen to have great genes, and can earn $$$$$ just smiling at the camera.

Is God real? Maybe He does, but not the way we think of. I believe in a Creator though. That's very evident on how nature works, but a personal God who "cares" for each and every one of us? Just look around and you have your answer.

• Author
I have this question bugging me for quite a while now. I am suffering existential depression and I was suicidal for a while. I wish to go back to being a kid or just being naive, where it's easy to believe in angels and santa clause. When I found out that they don't exist, at least we have God and Jesus.

Now there's this huge possibility that they do not exist as well. That was shattering.

Looking back I have a lot of questions:

1.) Why did God let people be homeless, hungry and alone?

2.) Why is God letting ISIS kill innocent people?

3.) Why is God letting injustice reign?

4.) Why is God silent in our prayers?

5.) Why did He let many children become orphans or grow from broken families?

etc. etc.

If you look at the world we live in, if you really look into the society we have now, terrible is an understatement. My mother worked to fend for her family and for us since she was 16. She's a catholic, she's 51 now and she got cheated on, abused by her family, been duped by many people financially, and now she's still working her ass off so that she can live comfortably (on top of my support for her) I have been praying to God time and time again, to change our lives, to help me or her to get an opportunity so that at least she can live her life happily just for once.

And I see Justin Bieber or some celebrity who just happen to have great genes, and can earn $$$$$ just smiling at the camera.

Is God real? Maybe He does, but not the way we think of. I believe in a Creator though. That's very evident on how nature works, but a personal God who "cares" for each and every one of us? Just look around and you have your answer.

One of the functions of religion is definitely to answer why bad things happen. There are a variety of answers offered that range from God orchestrates it all to God has no hand in it. Of course, we see what we want to see. If we want to see meaning in something bad and say that it was God's will, we can do that. It doesn't matter that it's all based on emotion. We are very reticent to buy into logic with those matters. We are emotionally driven and usually make decisions off of gut instinct and emotions. Our beliefs about life are the same. We believe what makes us feel good. What is most palatable to us.

DramaInPajamas

There is no hell. There is no heaven. There is no god.

All that matters is how well you live on earth and all that matters in the memories you leave behind and your legacy: your children, your life's work, etc.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I've never met a person that has embraced religion without either being born into it, or turned to it out of desperation.

To me that's just a sign that we are weak - and as yet unable to deal with the likely reality that we all just die, that's it. I find it quite terrifying at times how easily people are influenced by others presenting carefully selected half-truths and anecdotals as facts.

The amazing things that have happened in life I know that no one but God made it possible. I feel him (Jesus) in my soul and I don't need anyone to believe this but me.

• Like 2
The amazing things that have happened in life I know that no one but God made it possible. I feel him (Jesus) in my soul and I don't need anyone to believe this but me.

I admit to being rather envious. I'm continually searching for a point to it all, I want to understand my purpose for being - but I can't imagine a god that loved his people would be as vindictive as to inflict things like neuroblastoma on children.

I also can't be that dismissive about the awful circumstances other people find themselves in just because a few nice things happen to me.

• Author
I admit to being rather envious. I'm continually searching for a point to it all, I want to understand my purpose for being - but I can't imagine a god that loved his people would be as vindictive as to inflict things like neuroblastoma on children.

I also can't be that dismissive about the awful circumstances other people find themselves in just because a few nice things happen to me.

I'm jealous too! I wish I could believe in God and Jesus so easily. I think my life would be a lot happier and make a lot more sense.

All of my searching has led me to question how much control we have over what we believe? Are we pre-programmed to believe certain things? What do you think?

• Author

Why do you think God made things in your life possible? As opposed to random chance?

Why do you think God made things in your life possible? As opposed to random chance?

Because of the things I prayed for and the timing of it.

• Like 1
BetheButterfly
I'm jealous too! I wish I could believe in God and Jesus so easily. I think my life would be a lot happier and make a lot more sense.

Believing in God and Jesus (the Son of God) does make my life a lot happier and with a lot more sense, compared to if I didn't believe.

All of my searching has led me to question how much control we have over what we believe? Are we pre-programmed to believe certain things?

Those are great questions. Calvinists believe that some people are predestined. Jesus' quote which encourages this view includes the following: (I boldened some.)

“Stop grumbling among yourselves,” Jesus answered. “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day." - John 6:43-44 (NIV)

I'm not a Calvinist, though I definitely understand their worldview. Personally, i believe that God gives people free will and that He already knows who would believe in Him, not that God specifically chooses some people to believe in Him and other people specifically to not believe.

The reason is because I believe God wants all people to be saved, which I believe Jesus teaches here:

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven. [a] “What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should perish. - Matthew 18:11-14 (NIV)

We were all little ones once. :)

Another verse I really like that is a part of Paul's sermon to the people of Athens is this: Acts 17:26-28 (NIV)

From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28 ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’[b] As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’[c]

So anyways, I think we are pre-programmed to choose whether to seek and find God. While I believe God foreknew all who believe in Him, I don't believe He specifically choose who believes and who doesn't, because I believe God created people with free will, not as robots.

• Author
So anyways, I think we are pre-programmed to choose whether to seek and find God. While I believe God foreknew all who believe in Him, I don't believe He specifically choose who believes and who doesn't, because I believe God created people with free will, not as robots.

I don't know that I believe in free will anymore. With regards to belief anyway. I think we have free will with regards to actions. Because if I could choose what to believe, I would believe in God and an afterlife. But I can't choose to believe in that. I can't will myself to believe in something.

Save

BetheButterfly
I don't know that I believe in free will anymore. With regards to belief anyway. I think we have free will with regards to actions. Because if I could choose what to believe, I would believe in God and an afterlife. But I can't choose to believe in that. I can't will myself to believe in something.

What stopping you, out of curiosity?

• Author
What stopping you, out of curiosity?

I've realized that my beliefs are based on how I feel. I can't choose to believe something. I can't will myself to believe something. I can't choose not to question God's existence. I honestly never thought about those concepts until the past few years.

If I believe in God and an afterlife, that means I have to believe in the supernatural, and I've never seen evidence of the supernatural.

• Like 1
LancasterAmos1966
I've never seen evidence of the supernatural.

I accept proof of "supernatural" just by looking at humans, animals, nature.

Yes, I was born into a Christian home but I have a mind of my own. No one is forcing me to believe a certain way.

When my wife of 20+ years walked away a few years ago, I went through several months of questioning the existence of God. I could have easily given up my faith, but my faith/belief in God is actually stronger today than 6 years ago......and no, she did not return.

• Like 1

All of my searching has led me to question how much control we have over what we believe? Are we pre-programmed to believe certain things? What do you think?

Recommended viewing:

• Like 1
  • Author
I accept proof of "supernatural" just by looking at humans, animals, nature.

Yes, I was born into a Christian home but I have a mind of my own. No one is forcing me to believe a certain way.

When my wife of 20+ years walked away a few years ago, I went through several months of questioning the existence of God. I could have easily given up my faith, but my faith/belief in God is actually stronger today than 6 years ago......and no, she did not return.

Nature is almost supernatural in a way. Something like the Big Bang Theory actually makes me want to believe in God because it's just so incredible. I can relate to growing more religious in times of emotional hardship, but I don't feel like it was a choice for me. Just something that happened naturally.

LancasterAmos1966
I can relate to growing more religious in times of emotional hardship, but I don't feel like it was a choice for me. Just something that happened naturally.

BC1980, I understand what you are saying.

I had very strong faith when I went into my marriage crisis, so coming out stronger is really not an event to be put into the Guinness record book.

I'm Anabaptist by birth (and now by choice), so I was taught from an early age that this life will have problems and heartaches. (Dirk Willems is my hero.)

So, without a doubt, my early teaching helped shape me into who I've become, and how I deal with life's events.

I have no stories about how God spoke to me, or showed up in a vision. But I do have several stories how events worked out that helped towards my recovery. I'm aware that these events can be explained away -- I have no problem accepting that there are those who believe my faith is a crutch, or I'm some simple-minded fool. I'd be willing to give the doubter a few minutes of my time, but I don't attempt to con people into believing what I believe.

The one Poster above emphatically said that there is no hell, no heaven, no god. He/she can't prove that statement is true, but if they are ok believing that, then that is wonderful.

Belief in God is by faith.

Belief that God is fake, is also by faith.

You are saying that your times of belief seemed to have happened "naturally" -- and that sure seems plausible to me.

You might know the story about the 2 thieves that were crucified with Jesus. According to the story, the one thief chose to believe on Jesus; The other thief chose not to believe.

Why did any of them believe? On the other hand, Why didn't both believe?

Both guys were in a huge crisis!! But one chose to believe Jesus was not a fake, while the other chose to mock Him. Why?

It just seems like something was going on behind the scenes that we are not told about --- but something seemingly was leading up to that one thief believing, while the life events of the other thief led him to be bitter and full of anger.

Whether these were "natural" events or "someone" was behind the scenes helping to push the one thief into believing, is not something I can prove. I do have my opinion but that would make this post way too long. :)

• Like 2
BetheButterfly
I've realized that my beliefs are based on how I feel. I can't choose to believe something. I can't will myself to believe something. I can't choose not to question God's existence. I honestly never thought about those concepts until the past few years.

It's not bad at all to question God's existence. In my personal opinion, it means that you are searching for the truth, searching for God. That's cool!

If I believe in God and an afterlife, that means I have to believe in the supernatural, and I've never seen evidence of the supernatural.
Ah I see. I personally have seen evidence of the supernatural.

I wish that God would show His existence to everyone. That is one of my questions, why doesn't God show His existence to everyone?

I personally believe that God wants people to seek and find Him. Have you prayed and asked God to show you that He is real?

One of my friends is from Pakistan. She and her family immigrated to the USA. She accepted Jesus as the Savior (Muslims only accept him as a prophet), and her Mom was convinced that the church another Christian friend invited her to had "brainwashed" her.

Her Mom attended a church service and talked with a Christian brother who speaks Urdu (also from Pakistan). He challenged her to go and ask God if He is the God of the Christians or the God of the Muslims. She did, and she had a vision that brought her to accept Jesus as the Savior too.

When people ask God anything, it's important to have faith!

As Hebrews 11:1 (NIV) defines faith as "Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.."

Why does God want us to have faith in Him?

I don't know, but I do know that faith is very important to Jesus, and that he gently (not in a mad way) addressed lack of faith while talking to Thomas: (I boldened some.)

Now Thomas (also known as Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”

But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”

A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”

Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”

Then Jesus told him, Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” - John 20:24-29 (NIV)

Thomas wanted evidence too, obviously. I personally don't think it's a bad thing to want evidence. It's very understandable and good.

However, it's true that God wants people to have faith, even though I don't understand why. In the Bible, faith (including faithful/ly) is mentioned around 458 times.

Edited by BetheButterfly
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to say something valid about why I feel my faith, but really it's just a feeling, something I 'know'.

I find no incongruence with science and my faith, I don't find it odd that there are no Dinosaurs in the Bible as there were no people about when there were Dinosaurs roaming the Earth.

When the wheels of creation are set in motion it becomes a constantly evolving dynamic.

Physics provides evidence of an unknown higher influence all the time.

Take for example the Pauli Exclusion Principle.

Pauli exclusion principle

In relation to Fermions, Elementary Particles with a half integer spin. An Electron is a fermion and is the Vehicle for an Electric Current.

For simplicities sake, say an Atom has two Electrons orbiting it's Nucleus. Pauli says no two electrons in such a system can be in the same Atomic state [spin].

If one has a spin in one direction, the other will have a spin the opposite direction.

Within the system we say the Electrons are Entangled [Entanglement]

This will be the case no matter what distance separates the Electrons from this system, if you change the spin of one the other automatically adopts the opposite spin.

How do they communicate?

The change takes place quicker than the speed of light.

Einstein dismissed Paulis assertion as 'spooky action at a distance'.

Einstein also said nothing can travel quicker than the speed of light.

Elementary particles of light are called Photons.

Entanglement has been proved numerous times.

Einstein was wrong as test reveals 'quantum entanglement' phenomenon IS real | Daily Mail Online

If you could separate the Electrons to any distance, say either end of the known Universe, change the spin of one and the other automatically changes to the opposite spin.

How does it know it's entangled twin has changed ?

What is happening, how are they communicating the change in spin? It is unknown, and probably unknowable.

They say God is unknowable, also that God is all, everything.

The 19th-century theologian, Charles H. Spurgeon, proclaimed:

“We believe that he [God] filleth heaven and earth, and hell; that he is in the very space which his creation seems to claim, for creatures do not displease God; and even the space which is occupied by his handiworks is still filled with himself.

The rocky bowels of the unsearched-out depths are full of God; where the sea roars, or where the solid granite leaves no interstice or vacuum, even there is God; not only in the open place, and in the chasm, but penetrating all matter, and abounding everywhere in all, and filling all things with himself.”

For this to be so God must have a vehicle of communication that satisfies the scope of the statement.

Is there evidence of a possible vehicle?

Well yes there is, an Elementary Particle called a Neutrino, everywhere and everyone is showered with a constant stream of them at all times.

Wikipedia states:

"A neutrino (/nuːˈtriːnoʊ/ or /njuːˈtriːnoʊ/) (denoted by the Greek letter ν) is a fermion (an elementary particle with half-integer spin) that interacts only via the weak subatomic force and gravity.

The mass of the neutrino is much smaller than that of the other known elementary particles.

The neutrino is so named because it is electrically neutral — it is not affected by the electromagnetic force — and because its rest mass is so small (-ino) that it was originally thought to be zero.

The weak force is a very short-range interaction, gravity is extremely weak on the subatomic scale, and neutrinos, as leptons, do not participate in the strong interaction.

Thus, neutrinos typically pass through normal matter unimpeded and undetected".

So IMO Science proves vehicles exist that potentially qualify statements made about the omnipresence of God.

Edited by Nowty V
Format
  • Like 2

I've seen the question asked, 'Can God be in two places at once?'

God can do anything, as is his will.

Are there any entities in the known World whereby a single entity can be in two places at the same time?

Well, yes there is.

It has been proved that a single Photon can be in two places at the same time.

A Photon is a Quanta, or elementary particle, of Light, an enclosed packet of electromagnetic waveform.

They say God is Light.

I am not saying that God exists as elementary particles, I'm saying things in the known Universe can and do behave in ways that are attributable to God.

Why elementary particles behave the way they do is completely unknown and unknowable.

Is Quantum Mechanics God?

No, God is God and Quantum Mechanics is Quantum Mechanics

• Like 2
I've seen the question asked, 'Can God be in two places at once?'

God can do anything, as is his will.

Are there any entities in the known World whereby a single entity can be in two places at the same time?

Well, yes there is.

It has been proved that a single Photon can be in two places at the same time.

A Photon is a Quanta, or elementary particle, of Light, an enclosed packet of electromagnetic waveform.

They say God is Light.

I am not saying that God exists as elementary particles, I'm saying things in the known Universe can and do behave in ways that are attributable to God.

Why elementary particles behave the way they do is completely unknown and unknowable.

Is Quantum Mechanics God?

No, God is God and Quantum Mechanics is Quantum Mechanics

I see no separation between the two. For me, God Is. That would encompass Quantum Mechanics, so Quantum Mechanics are God....for me.

The First energy is just that. I have no bearded man on a heavenly throne. I do not see science as a contradiction to the existence of conscious energy....aren't we?

If we are, then we are the newbies in the expanse of existence. Thank God.

• Like 2